• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 7 biohazard | OT | BIOHAZARD 7 resident evil

Leopard

I really hope people love this game, I honestly believe it is blowing away people minds of how intense and "new" this is from the series in some ways.

For the people who do not intend to buy the game, do yourself a favor and watch a stream on Twitch...such a great game to just even watch.

Should I start with Madhouse? Or is Normal a big enough challenge? I've played Remake, Code Veronica, 4, and 5.

Trust me. Madhouse is intended for your second playthrough. Normal is quite tough anyway from my experience. Madhouse is for people that already know the game.

burgerdog

So I picked up Gravity Rush 2 last friday. Yakuza and KH2.8 today and you guys are loving this shit? I know what I must do after work.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
My friend just bought it and he's loving it, making me so damn jealous!

Astral

I can't get over how amazing the intro to the game is. It's batshit insane.
Please tell me crazy chainsaw Mia is a stalker later on.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Stuck on this clock puzzle in the Master Bedroom now.

My scrubbiness knows no bounds.

There's a hint in the bedroom on a note, but if you want more info....

Go look at the other clocks in the house - either the one you take the pendulum from, or the other one you put it onto

Also, finished a normal playthrough - not a bad time, by any stretch of the imagination. Ethan's terrible walk/run speed was probably the worst offender in getting me killed.

Either that, or the enemies still having RE4-style 'dodge' unnatural moments which make you waste ammo.

Still, there's a good chunk of content to go forward from here with, should Capcom wanna pursue it.

I can't get over how amazing the intro to the game is. It's batshit insane.
Please tell me crazy chainsaw Mia is a stalker later on.
Did you
run into the hallway and close the door? She slices through the door, it's awesome. Doesn't seem scripted either, since I didn't have to go into the hallway

There's a hint in the bedroom on a note, but if you want more info....

Go look at the other clocks in the house - either the one you take the pendulum from, or the other one you put it onto

Also, finished a normal playthrough - not a bad time, by any stretch of the imagination. Ethan's terrible walk/run speed was probably the worst offender in getting me killed.

Either that, or the enemies still having RE4-style 'dodge' unnatural moments which make you waste ammo.

Still, there's a good chunk of content to go forward from here with, should Capcom wanna pursue it.

Ethan having some kind of back-dash would help, that's for sure.

T.O.P

Banned
Only letdown so far are the extremely dumbed down puzzles :/

Anyway, i think i might be halfway through i guess? just got to the
red/blue keycards

Also, what are the
"wooden axe" and "wooden shotgun"
for? i didn't have space so i just left em for now

Deadstar

So this is making me REALLY want to go play RE0 and the RE1 remake. I feel like I'm in love with Resident Evil again.

I hope the RE2 remake is good. Wonder when that will come out. Can we except two Resident Evil games in one year?

Question, I've wanted to ask this when the game was released for months, so now I'll finally ask it:

Do you guy's think Capcom's decision to hide most of the game before release 'to keep it a surprise for players, which works best for horror' to be good decision in the end?
This is always the best way to do things if you can convince fans to turn up regardless, and still manage to interest casual crowds.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Ok so I've gotten to..the second tape?
Playing in VR and It's good, not scary its very tame but it's definitely good.
But

Still not Resident Evil
So far

Also beginning game spoilers, it's very annoying that
the demo is from the game, not exactly but still
They said it wasn't when it is

Only thing that's disappointing me about the game is
the lame way you get your endings. Just a lame button-prompt choice. Was hoping for something a bit more interesting like usage of the tapes or time in which you completed a certain task. Ya know like RE1's endings.

I guess we'll never get another RE game that has as much ending stuff as RE1 does :/

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Ok so I've gotten to..the second tape?
Playing in VR and It's good, not scary its very tame but it's definitely good.
But

Still not Resident Evil
So far

It's definitely a framework shift in the same way that CV --> 4 was, yeah.

TBH, I like it better than I thought I would, but while it's got some of the old RE elements (camp, ammo/enemy management), I do feel the shift to 1st person lost something in the transition.

liquidtmd

Banned
I'm not even half way through but I'm considering it at this point only just behind RE2 and Remake in terms of my favourite RE's.

And I loved 4 and 3 to a lesser extent.

Anecdotal: I've been non committed to games in the last six months. I've bought games on PSN sales regularly and my backlog has accumulated. I've not been completing games barely let alone 100%'ing them.

This - has my undivided attention, I will complete and likely go again with Madhouse

T.O.P

Banned
Only one thing would've made this game the perfect RE to me anyway

Classic Zombies :( i can't fuckin stand the Revelation style enemies :(

Kalentan

So for those who have played and completed both, what is better The Evil Within or this? I guess I'm curious since TEW was in a way supposed to harkin back to RE4 and such and while RE7 isn't harking so much back to RE4 as much as RE1. Which do you guys feel is the better 'proper' Resident Evil? (Ignoring the fact that RE7 is RE... If that makes sense?)

Alright, I just got welcomed to the family and got the pocket knife. Taking a short break.

I'm having real issues remembering L3 is sprint. I'll quick turn to get away from Jack, and then...

SLOWLY WALK AWAY. I feel like an idiot every time.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
It's definitely a framework shift in the same way that CV --> 4 was, yeah.

TBH, I like it better than I thought I would, but while it's got some of the old RE elements (camp, ammo/enemy management), I do feel the shift to 1st person lost something in the transition.
Yeah like I said I like it, and it has some RE elements but there's definitely something lost which just makes it this whole different game.
If you wanna play Resident Evil then go play REmake, because it's not here.
But it is good game so far.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member

I feel
that's going to be done with Resident Evil 8. Clearly this was a game testing the waters with the new mechanics and isolated setup so it was perfect to contain some things and expand further if the game is a success.

My ideal dream for the next installment with this style is to be set into a Town/small city urban environment and have the classic T-variation enemies returning; Lickers, Hunters, Zombies/Crimson Heads. All this hidden within the buildings and a varied time cycle and you're a survivor trying to survive the hell hole of Umbrellas doings.

Be the perfect sequel to me!

So for those who have played and completed both, what is better The Evil Within or this? I guess I'm curious since TEW was in a way supposed to harkin back to RE4 and such and while RE7 isn't harking so much back to RE4 as much as RE1. Which do you guys feel is the better 'proper' Resident Evil? (Ignoring the fact that RE7 is RE... If that makes sense?)

As a fan of TEW I still think RE7 trumps it in terms of going back to survival horror and even atmosphere, and TEW had some great atmosphere already.

Oh my gosh, that's what these enemies remind me of. I still like these a lot more than the ones in Rev1 though. These have much better movement and the fact you can dismember them is really cool.

ISee

Should I start with Madhouse? Or is Normal a big enough challenge? I've played Remake, Code Veronica, 4, and 5.

It's a different game on madhouse. There are new upgrade paths, item/enemy location are different, more coins, new weapons...

Skab

Hey guys, about to dive in on PC. Anyone using KBAM? Hows it feel?

Wondering if its decent or if I should just use a pad.

Anung

Un Rama
As a fan of TEW I still think RE7 trumps it in terms of going back to survival horror and even atmosphere, and TEW had some great atmosphere already.

RE7 definetly feels more consistent. The Evil Within was an everything and the kitchen sink approach to horror. Little bit of everything. RE has a vision and sticks to it for the most part.

I'm having some micro stutters on the PC version on borderless windowed, 1920x1080, 59.94hz refresh rate, v-sync off, normal method rendering, 1 resolution scaling, texture filtering very high, mesh quality very high, AA is on FXAA+TAA, motion blur on, depth of field on, shadow quality very high, dynamic shadows on, cache on, ambient occlusion SSAO (variable), bloom on, volumetric lighting quality on high.

How should I fix this? I7-6700k, GTX970, 16 gigs of RAM.

I feel
that's going to be done with Resident Evil 8. Clearly this was a game testing the waters with the new mechanics and isolated setup so it was perfect to contain some things and expand further if the game is a success.

My ideal dream for the next installment with this style is to be set into a Town/small city urban environment and have the classic T-variation enemies returning; Lickers, Hunters, Zombies/Crimson Heads. All this hidden within the buildings and a varied time cycle and you're a survivor trying to survive the hell hole of Umbrellas doings.

Be the perfect sequel to me!

So you're saying you want the RE2 of this game.

CrocoDuck

Oh man, just got off playing in VR for about an hour and a half. The intro was quite terrifying; but, after awhile I have been kinda getting used to it. Had to take a break due to the VR, but I can't wait to jump back in!

Scotia

Banned
Just finished the 'Happy Birthday' tape.

Lucas is a sick fuck. Everything in that room was designed to harm and maim Clancy and all it did was burn him alive. God, RE hasn't had a villain like Lucas in years, I love it.

Also, poor Clancy ;_;

PKrockin

For those who have the game, which describes it better:
1. A game whose primary purpose is giving the player the spooks, sacrificing its gameplay in service of that goal
2. A game whose primary purpose is giving the player a satisfying gameplay loop, sacrificing its spooks in service of that goal (RE4/5)

RE4 is one of my favorite games of all time, but the horror games I've tried, even highly regarded ones, don't really stick with me (SH2 has a great story though). I played the RE7 demo and it seems like it's firmly in the "gameplay serves horror" camp, but the OP says it's balanced?

So I guess my question is, does the gameplay stand on its own as being interesting/engaging even if the horror aspect doesn't do much for me?

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Just finished the 'Happy Birthday' tape.

Lucas is a sick fuck. Everything in that room was designed to harm and maim Clancy and all it did was burn him alive. God, RE hasn't had a villain like Lucas in years, I love it.

Also, poor Clancy ;_;

Felt like playable Sinister. Fucking horrible. Can't wait for the
Lucas focused DLC.

Question, I've wanted to ask this when the game was released for months, so now I'll finally ask it:

Do you guy's think Capcom's decision to hide most of the game before release 'to keep it a surprise for players, which works best for horror' to be good decision in the end?

I can only answer for myself and the answer is definitely no.

I'm actually in this thread because I've been trying to convince myself to buy this despite my negativity for it just because I need something to tide me over until Nioh comes out. The way the demo was handled and the general weirdness in terms of marketing left a bad taste in my mouth and I somehow still have a hard time understanding how it's apparently this enjoyable yet was total shit in the demo.

I know I'm in the minority with that but you asked haha.

PS: I also can't stand Alien Isolation though which a ton of people in the RE7 have been praising alongside their positive impressions of the game, that's not helping for me.

Top Bottom