• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 7 biohazard | OT | BIOHAZARD 7 resident evil

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Mia
tape was pretty good, fuck Marguerite, creepy old bat

Im actually slightly stuck now because I was hoping the tape would give me a clue of what to do like the first tape, but not so much. Im trying to explore but fucking Jack wont stay dead and I dont want to be wasting more bullets so right now its a crazy game of cat and mouse, borderline slapstick to be honest. Im sure that's not what the devs intended lol

Question, I've wanted to ask this when the game was released for months, so now I'll finally ask it:

Do you guy's think Capcom's decision to hide most of the game before release 'to keep it a surprise for players, which works best for horror' to be good decision in the end?

imo, it's probably the best decision they've made in years.

Sure it might've made people skeptical, but I missed the times when games were announced, then they came out. Without any bullshit marketing tied to it.

Question, I've wanted to ask this when the game was released for months, so now I'll finally ask it:

Do you guy's think Capcom's decision to hide most of the game before release 'to keep it a surprise for players, which works best for horror' to be good decision in the end?

Yes, I personally really appreciate how blind I've felt going into this. One of my favourite things about RE1 and 4 is the underlying mystery of the thing, slowly getting to the root of just what the fuck is going on here. It's a fairly rare feeling in this day and age.

My personal opinion? Definitely, the unknown it's what sells horror games. However, marketing gets tricky and that's where you have to rely on demos and other unique ways to get across what the game is and trying to accomplish in the process.

Many will get confused but it's gamble with big potential payoffs.

Raonak

Banned
Man, this is definitely the VR killer app so far, only about an hour in.

It's tense as fuck, and pretty scary, especially when things go all dark.
Sorta wish i could see my reactions. I keep getting spooked out by the floating hands.

Had to keep narrating to myself to keep calm haha.

It really does feel like being in a horror movie, especially when the first enemy
grabs you and you're instructively trying to dodge the knife.

It's both terrifying, but also surprisingly fun, in a way normal horror games aren't.
Normally I just wanna put the game down, but with RE7 I wanna see how far they can go to scare me the adrenaline rush of experiencing this shit "first hand" overrides my will to not play the game.

Kalentan

Is there Special
Molded
enemies? Cause
Some of them I literally blew their brains out with a shotgun and then they stood right back up again and again.

ISee

Mia
tape was pretty good, fuck Marguerite, creepy old bat

Im actually slightly stuck now because I was hoping the tape would give me a clue of what to do like the first tape, but not so much. Im trying to explore but fucking Jack wont stay dead and I dont want to be wasting more bullets so right now its a crazy game of cat and mouse, borderline slapstick to be honest. Im sure that's not what the devs intended lol

Drain the water in the bathtub upstairs

Karak

Glad to see folks enjoying it so much. 3rd playhrough is going to be this weekend with a group over for a 100% vr playthrough as a group.

Despera

Banned
Shit better avoid this thread till I'm done with the game.

So far though, this game is as good as I expected it to be. Very good indeed.

Anung

Un Rama

Yep. Fear of the unknown and all that. Just going in knowing the general premise and the Bakers is fine for me. I feel like too many games and past RE's show too much. I hate feeling like I know everything about a game before I get to even play it.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Drain the water in the bathtub upstairs

I did, was there something there that I missed? Wasnt it just gun ammo?
Jack popped in immediatly and its all a blur since then because of, well, the panic :p

lol

"This isn't resident evil to me"

I made it past the infamous Dinner Scene and this game is campy as shit and I love it. Manages hilarity and tension at the same time.

Sky87

After playing a few hours, the over-the-top gore reminds me of the movie Dead Alive/Braindead by Peter Jackson.

It's less horror, more comedy, which is a good thing i think.

Bought it today. I don't know why I put off preordering, but it's downloading right now. Only 20GB for the Xbox One version, not bad. Anyone know how much has to be downloaded to be ready to play?

This sucks.
Forced to choose between curing Zoe or Mia due to using one serum on Jack in battle. Chose Zoe for 2 reasons.

1 - she has never been hostile to me. Must damn near killed a few times already.

2 - Zoe is the most likely to know a way to escape.

Sorry, Mia.

ISee

I did, was there something there that I missed? Wasnt it just gun ammo?
Jack popped in immediatly and its all a blur since then because of, well, the panic :p

lol

Hmm I thought the
wood statue
was in there... but now I'm not sure anymore.

ISee

Question: After I get into the
yard
do I still need the
Scorpion
Key in my inventory?

Afaik there are two doors in the main house you can open with it (so far...)
But in general I just put keys into the 'bank' and put them back in after unlocking the doors I want to. Savepoint locations are rather generous... at least till now.

Rhaknar

Hmm I thought the
wood statue
was in there... but now I'm not sure anymore.

wait, youre right, and im a fucking IDIOT, since I JUST did the
shadow manipulation thing with mia on the tape
, and here I am saying the tape didnt have clues.

Damn im dumb. Im going to play the "panic made me forget" card, dont judge me.

ChouGoku

So I'm 2 hrs in with VR and so far this is not a scary game. I don't really know how to put it, there are jump scares, good jump scares but the demo made me think this would have a different tone. It's very fun but it is very much a game and not a P.T clone. So far I would say its a B-movie in VR and I've died a few times so its challenging. My only complaint is that the jump scares are too good, they feel like they are in the right place and never feel too random and out of place meaning that its not as scary as I thought it would be. Granted the beginning was scary as hell and I'm sure they didn't peak with the scares in the 1st hour.

Edit: Leaning around corners with VR is amazing, it feels so natural. Especially when being pursued . Peeking around a box and watching a baker go the wrong way feels so good

Tough guy? No, I'm saying that its not as scary as the demo would make you believe 2 hrs in. I did say the 1st hour was scary, but getting a VR gun must be like getting a real one, it makes things much less scary. Plus this game is not full of cheap jump scares so far so maneuvering through the levels is not that bad

the spider puzzle wasnt that bad, just keep spinning it. they seemed pretty lenient with the orientation

Im not saying its bad in VR, its just more tolerable than I thought. This is a game where you shoot things. Being able to shoot things is much more tolerable than waiting to be killed
Forgive these quotes on the scariness I was drinking last night. Holy shit I did not realize the difference alcohol made. I loaded up my save, slowly backtracked for a while, which was scarier than I remember and I ran into an enemy last night. Then I decided to go into a new area and the door only slightly opened and my anxiety went through the fuckin roof. This shit is terrifying.

nin1000

Banned
Ok, there i thought after
killing that huge fucking boss
the game would end but then
the boat section started
and i am suprised that this is still going :)

Ruff

I'm watching streams of the VR run and it's giving me some very strong PT vibes. I wonder how that one would have turned out...

myco666

Played for approx two hours. Game sees kinda fine but man do I hate this hide and seek shit. Also do you have to
"kill" (I assume he will still get up after killing him) Jack after he attacks you in the bathroom?
Wasted so many bullets on that and wondering if I just should load earlier save and do it differently.

ISee

wait, youre right, and im a fucking IDIOT, since I JUST did the
shadow manipulation thing with mia on the tape
, and here I am saying the tape didnt have clues.

Damn im dumb. Im going to play the "panic made me forget" card, dont judge me.

We all have been there :)

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Neff, I just realized something about what you said about villain(s) in RE7.
There is an absolutely immoral pure evil villain in RE7. Lucas. He's not under Eveline's control. Never was, and watched his family wither away under her control and sent reports to "that company", that those people on the radio were talking about (Umbrella I guess). Plus his diary is about how he lured a school bully to a fake party as a kid, and left him to starve and rot in the attic. Everything he does, is not because of Eveline. He's literally an engineering genius serial killer, who happens to have been made immortal.

I think there's big potential there for the future. I want to see
Lucas again, if only to punch his teeth in with Chris.

_dsc1548gms5e.jpg

My PC copy. Came with a Steam key in the box, redeemed and downloaded, discs didn't even have a chance to grace the optical drive.

I don't play these game for the "Horror", but i found the opening very tense up till
Axe fight with Mia lol
, from there on in its gone hard on RES sillyness, i just did the
garage fight, like lol xD

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Best way to
beat spider mom any tips
? Or most effective?

Simply put
shotgun her in the swollen mutant vagina (the most horrific thing Capcom has thought of in years). Don't search for her, let her come to you. Keep the flamethrower for the big ass bugs she sends sometimes. And rejoice when you die. The game is like RE4. It adjusts the difficulty dynamically. The more you die, the easier she gets.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Played for approx two hours. Game sees kinda fine but man do I hate this hide and seek shit. Also do you have to
"kill" (I assume he will still get up after killing him) Jack after he attacks you in the bathroom?
Wasted so many bullets on that and wondering if I just should load earlier save and do it differently.
It's mainly to give yourself some breathing room if he won't leave you alone. Don't worry about reloading, normal seems balanced to allow you to down him once or twice with your ammo. You'll have resources to craft more ammo or health as needed soon.

After the initial area, that mostly dissapears aside from another minor part. Enjoy the variety.

After playing a few hours, the over-the-top gore reminds me of the movie Dead Alive/Braindead by Peter Jackson.

It's less horror, more comedy, which is a good thing i think.
The opening hour is the best Evil Dead 2013 game we're ever going to get

Definitely Evil Dead influences here

yuraya

Wow wow @ the deaths in this game.

Head cut off falling to the ground and you just look from the ground at your body standing up all bloodied up headless.
>_>

Top Bottom