• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 7 biohazard | OT | BIOHAZARD 7 resident evil

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
So you're saying you want the RE2 of this game.

Pretty much!

It would make the logical evolution as this is inspired by the original with a "reboot/return" to formula and escalate it next into a bigger setting as the original 2 did for 1. I can't imagine all those normal zombie models and other things they tested from the art and modelling team in development are not going to be used. They were clearly Zombies!

Resident Evil 7 is perfect for what Capcom needed to to refreshing the series and also bringing in a new audience and appeasing (certain) old fans back. I'm very happy and confident with the future for this series again. I just hope this sales well!

T.O.P

Banned
For those who have the game, which describes it better:
1. A game whose primary purpose is giving the player the spooks, sacrificing its gameplay in service of that goal
2. A game whose primary purpose is giving the player a satisfying gameplay loop, sacrificing its spooks in service of that goal (RE4/5)

RE4 is one of my favorite games of all time, but the horror games I've tried, even highly regarded ones, don't really stick with me (SH2 has a great story though). I played the RE7 demo and it seems like it's firmly in the "gameplay serves horror" camp, but the OP says it's balanced?

So I guess my question is, does the gameplay stand on its own as being interesting/engaging even if the horror aspect doesn't do much for me?
The gameplay is serviceable, I guess?

I mean it works but I wouldn't play a Mercenaries mode for RE7 in a million years honestly

MrS

Banned
What is there to do after finishing the game, if anything? Extra modes? Seriously considering picking this up rn.

TEW was kind of a mess imo, weirds me out that some people call it a masterpiece in horror. This is way better.

Kind of sad now that you think about it.

Wanderer5

Simply put
shotgun her in the swollen mutant vagina (the most horrific thing Capcom has thought of in years). Don't search for her, let her come to you. Keep the flamethrower for the big ass bugs she sends sometimes. And rejoice when you die. The game is like RE4. It adjusts the difficulty dynamically. The more you die, the easier she gets.

Finally pass that part, and
yes that is pretty damn horrific.XD And not just that and her extended limbs, but also hearing her give birth off screen somewhere.

kc44135

Finally got the game, and I love it so far. It really does feel like classic RE, just from a different perspective. All of the elements I loved from the older games are present and accounted for (ammo/item management, exploration, puzzles, combat, and constantly having to choose between fight or flight, etc.), and I'm having a great time, but... I did have a few questions. First off, are there any points of no return in this game, where you can't backtrack to find stuff you missed (spoilers are fine)?

Also, how do the Bakers work exactly? Does anyone know? Like, do they respond to sound? Say Jack's on the the first floor, and I'm sprinting loudly on the second floor, will that cause him to come and investigate? So far, he kinda just always seems to know where I am, and stays in my general area, which is a bit annoying.

Ghazi

1. A game whose primary purpose is giving the player the spooks, sacrificing its gameplay in service of that goal
2. A game whose primary purpose is giving the player a satisfying gameplay loop, sacrificing its spooks in service of that goal (RE4/5)

RE4 is one of my favorite games of all time, but the horror games I've tried, even highly regarded ones, don't really stick with me (SH2 has a great story though). I played the RE7 demo and it seems like it's firmly in the "gameplay serves horror" camp, but the OP says it's balanced?

So I guess my question is, does the gameplay stand on its own as being interesting/engaging even if the horror aspect doesn't do much for me?
I'm an outlier, but I don't think it accomplishes either very well. The scare factor is mostly atmospheric, the demo had more jump scares than actually scared me than the final game. The gameplay... well it's there. I'm about 6 hours into the game as well.

0racle

Guys,

Im quickly in and out as I dont want to read much or spoil anything.

But are there any differences between playing easy, normal, hard etc? besides difficulty? do I "miss" anything? I highly doubt Ill play it more than once to be honest so as long as I get all the content im good.

Don't judge the gameplay by the demo. So far this game is neither 1 or 2, but a very good balance of both. Scares and satisfying gameplay

ActWan

I was so goddamn hyped, the start was great! got to the part
after the dinner scene when the big guy (Jack I think?) patrols with a shovel
and I went in completely blind.
It certainly has one of the best sound designs of recent memory, just amazing.
But fuck, I think it's the last time I'm buying a game on PC at launch.
My system is quite good and I get easy 60FPS, but I have 5 second freezes all the time for no apparent reason...and I read about it online and no one can pin down the problem, something about the shadows maybe so I'll try to turn them off and see how it goes.
But nevertheless, this game looks sounds and feels great. I think I'll get a heart attack if I'll ever play it in VR.

---

BTW, I remember before it came out, Capcom said something like "there's a story reason for it to be called Resident Evil Biohazard" so can anyone please explain why it's called that way and the relation to the story? (in spoilers)

What is there to do after finishing the game, if anything? Extra modes? Seriously considering picking this up rn.
Madhouse (The new difficulty mode after beating the game) gives the game a lot more stuff than just making it harder. There's also a new weapon. No mercenaries-esque mode though. Still recommend it though.

How long is this game?

About 10-12 hours I'd say.

So for those who have played and completed both, what is better The Evil Within or this? I guess I'm curious since TEW was in a way supposed to harkin back to RE4 and such and while RE7 isn't harking so much back to RE4 as much as RE1. Which do you guys feel is the better 'proper' Resident Evil? (Ignoring the fact that RE7 is RE... If that makes sense?)

Tew is the better game, it has deeper mechanics, better enemies, but I enjoyed re7 more, it's just a fun action/horror game. TEW has very deep mechanics, re7 is very shallow.

So I played about an hour and a half and I like it. It's not exactly what I expected though. For instance
The first enemy chase felt really bad. Run speed is awful and there was no real way to lose the enemy and instead had to run a basic loop to get what was needed and leave.
Then there's what I suspect may have been the first boss encounter
in the garage. The use of the car was clever but it felt like I was just running to corners while grabbing stuff, rather than an actual fight.

All of that said the story is kind of what I'm in it for and I'm used to first person horror being an awkward genre to keep interest in. In that sense
I'm actually very excited for the weaponry opening up later.
I feel like it will be playing to its roots a bit better there. Though so far aiming has not been easy.

C296JodXEAUxQUT.jpg

l46CkATpdyLwLI7vi.gif

MrS

Banned
Madhouse (The new difficulty mode after beating the game) gives the game a lot more stuff than just making it harder. There's also a new weapon. No mercenaries-esque mode though. Still recommend it though.

About 10-12 hours I'd say.
Thank you, friend.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
---
BTW, I remember before it came out, Capcom said something like "there's a story reason for it to be called Resident Evil Biohazard" so can anyone please explain why it's called that way and the relation to the story? (in spoilers)

Full spoilers below. I do mean FULL spoilers.

The Baker family was accidentally infected by a bioweapon built for non combat, by an association of different pharmaceutical companies who tried to keep their creation away from their "enemy". The son of the family, Lucas, who is already an insane violent serial killer BEFORE his infection, but is an engineering genius gets help by "some company". The so called "enemy" helps him break free of the bioweapon's influence, and since then he's keeping tabs on his own mutated family, as well as experimenting on their victims, in a private lab hidden in a salt mine near their house.

His mystery helper? The Umbrella Corporation. Who sweeps in at the end. Quite simply? The Legend of RE : Return of Umbrella. Game over.

Guys,

Im quickly in and out as I dont want to read much or spoil anything.

But are there any differences between playing easy, normal, hard etc? besides difficulty? do I "miss" anything? I highly doubt Ill play it more than once to be honest so as long as I get all the content im good.

On Madhouse, the enemies and item placements are remixed as well as having more stuff in terms of upgrading your character. Definitely recommended after playing it on Normal.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Having a shitty week at work, and been struggling to find stuff to play in my backlog, so said fuck it and bought this. Downloading on Steam now and looking forward to firing it up.

PKrockin

The gameplay is serviceable, I guess?

I mean it works but I wouldn't play a Mercenaries mode for RE7 in a million years honestly

I'm an outlier, but I don't think it accomplishes either very well. The scare factor is mostly atmospheric, the demo had more jump scares than actually scared me than the final game. The gameplay... well it's there. I'm about 6 hours into the game as well.

Don't judge the gameplay by the demo. So far this game is neither 1 or 2, but a very good balance of both. Scares and satisfying gameplay
Thanks for the replies. I'll pick it up on sale after I play RE6, I think.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
lol my first encounter with a
molted
was super anti climtic, he
popped out of the wall, I completely NOPE'ed back into the previous roo,, closed the door to get some distance and get ready to shoot... but he never came in the room and just eventually dissolved
>_<

Speaking of those, do they respawn? Because im using a lot of bullets on them, and if they respawn...welp :/

Took me 6 1/2 hours from start to finish. I don't know how you can get 12 hours out of a single play through.

the in game timer doesnt count deaths tho. Game says im at 1 hour 56min and I have 3+ on steam

Took me 6 1/2 hours from start to finish. I don't know how you can get 12 hours out of a single play through.

It's how long I took.

If I get to a point where it feels like I'm playing a traditional RE game I will completely lose my shit.

If your traditional classic RE feel is the stress of whether or not you should have an item in your inventory, you absolutely will have that feeling in this game.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
the in game timer doesnt count deaths tho. Game says im at 1 hour 56min and I have 3+ on steam

Fuck so that's why my timer was that weird. Good to know...and shame that people will think that the save file timer is the exact time lol.

Astral Dog

OMG this is so awesome.

Though the characters are s bit cliche so far,not much more thsn rec3nt RE games but i get the complains,it feels different

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
If you didn't kill 'em...they'll come back. Every time.

err...so im good then? Because im killing them (except that first one like I said but ive killed him also now when I looped around with the shortcut door)

Also, man those things look amazing graphically. Also super creepy. But graphically, jesus, the animation and shit.

Scotia

Banned
If I get to a point where it feels like I'm playing a traditional RE game I will completely lose my shit.

I won't spoil the exact moment, mainly because I'm tired and I can't remember it that well, but it definitely felt like RE for me at some point, personally.

nin1000

Banned
WoW!
That dream sequence with Jack Baker
was really well done.
I was kinda moved by it and did not expect it at all.

yuraya

Speaking of those, do they respawn? Because im using a lot of bullets on them, and if they respawn...welp :/

Yea they will. Its kind of random tho and done really well. You might have to enter/exit some areas before they do. Also
make sure to shoot them in the head otherwise you are wasting bullets big time. Also you can use your knife to kill them but be careful wit the distance and their attacks.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
How do you kill them? I've beheaded them and they seem to keep on respawning in the basement area.

That...should not happen. Once dead they stay dead. But there's a lot of them down there.

Also, man those things look amazing graphically. Also super creepy. But graphically, jesus, the animation and shit.

I quite don't like fighting them. They are VERY fast and hit so hard. And they are literal walking masses of NOPE. I just find them...so....horrible to look at. It's the point but...ewww.

Orin GA

I wish I could hat you to death
Got to hand it to capcom with that chiansaw part

*runs away from chainsaw bitch*

*closes door and putself in the corner of room aiming at door*

"Gonna light you up as soon as you enter that d-OH GOD NO!

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I do know one I fought I shot in the head multiple times with a shotgun, even saw their head explode but they got back up.

If it's the one in
the Incinerator room after the puzzle, that's normal. That's like Super Molded. Just close the door on him.

Spinky

After the incredibly high highs of
Marguerite
's section, I'm on
Lucas'
right now and I don't think I'm liking it as much so far. Kind of ready to get past it.

Rhaknar

That...should not happen. Once dead they stay dead. But there's a lot of them down there.

I quite don't like fighting them. They are VERY fast and hit so hard. And they are literal walking masses of NOPE. I just find them...so....horrible to look at. It's the point but...ewww.

yeah im trying to shoot them in the head (which is obvious) but they lunge so fast that sometimes I just body shoot so they stagger. And also cause im a bad shot :p

Top Bottom