• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 7 director Koshi Nakanishi will direct Resident Evil 9

I hope he has learnt from Resident Evil 7 because as others have mentioned the last third of the game is awful and worse than any part of 8, in fact I prefer to play 6 than the ship section. I don't think I have played another game that declines so much in quality towards the end.

Doom85

Yes.

Last 1/3 (ship) sucked.

On top of that Not a Hero and EoZ pushed even further into crap territory.

People complain about RE4 being too action oriented, but the RE7 DLC are so much worse in that regard. With EoZ being the worst offender; even worse than Chris punching the boulder in RE5.

Oh come on now, the EoZ DLC was clearly designed for fun over scares, and beating the shit out of molded with your fists is pure fun.

DavidGzz

Enemy variety this time please. Day 1 either way, but 7 had boring ass enemies after a while besides the bosses, those were great!

skneogaf

Japanese people complained about how scary 7 was so they lightened the horror for 8 allegedly.

I wonder if he'll be allowed to make 9 as scary as 7.

I much prefer 2, 3 and 4 remake to any other resident evil games now so I want more of that.

Code Veronica may be my best hope though

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Resident Evil supported virtual reality, you and I both know resident evil 7 isn't mentioned without the baker family and psvr, and I'm someone who speaks highly of Re5 and 6.

dan76

Not great news for me. I think Capcom perfected the right balance of horror and action with Remake 2, that's the blueprint. Do more of that! After the second house 7 took a nose dive, plus the actual shoting always felt off. Same with 8, not enough impact. Remake 2, 3 and 4 feel much better to play. Stronger enemy reactions or something.

hinch7

RE7 brought me back to the franchise and so many others, so this is great to hear. This guy put RE back on the map after the terrible sixth game.

Hopefully they'll cast a new protagonist, instead of continuing Winters story with Rose or any of the OG gang.

Last edited:

E-Cat

Great...My least liked RE game.Hopefully it borrows more from RE8 than the boring slog of RE7. Game is awesome on a first playthrough. Absolutely horrendous on repeats.
Multiple repeats on a game you hate. You have too much time...

FeralEcho

Multiple repeats on a game you hate. You have too much time...
In general I tend to replay singleplayer games. I finished stuff like Dead Space 2 or Uncharted 2 over 10 times...so in that regard I do have too much time lol

I love replaying the dlcs for 7 for example but the main game is a chore to go through but ofc it has some great moments still,which is why I replay even boring games...for those few moments when it's great.

Anyway my post was more regarding RE games as a whole,comparing it to my time with other RE games. That's not to say 7 is a bad game,just the most boring one to replay out of the most recent bunch...which is why I hope it borrows more from 8.

Launch with 3rd person view, please.
Not more fucking first person

Considering how well they sell, of course its going to be first person. Also I dont see what you guys keep complaining about, they even started adding third person in their games afterwards. Judging by how many streamsers literally never play RE8 in third person its obviously not in popular demand as you might think. Firs person is here to stay and its way better for immersion. Third person worked because of tank controls. FPS is way more fluid movement.

Hero_Select

Considering how well they sell, of course its going to be first person. Also I dont see what you guys keep complaining about, they even started adding third person in their games afterwards. Judging by how many streamsers literally never play RE8 in third person its obviously not in popular demand as you might think. Firs person is here to stay and its way better for immersion. Third person worked because of tank controls. FPS is way more fluid movement.
Because the game wasn't designed for third-person and that came out way after the game launched.

Third-person RE is better. I want to see who I'm controlling. It was fine for RE7 and and the kind of game it is but no.

RE7 without the doubt the most scariest of all the re games. But not the type of re game I want tho. But it was much needed compare to what re5/re6 become, which was just bad games in some ways.

Not great news for me. I think Capcom perfected the right balance of horror and action with Remake 2, that's the blueprint. Do more of that! After the second house 7 took a nose dive, plus the actual shoting always felt off. Same with 8, not enough impact. Remake 2, 3 and 4 feel much better to play. Stronger enemy reactions or something.
This, love remake 2 and 4

Jesb

I hope whoever designed the retarded fire puzzle in RE8 is not working on this or was fired. Worst fucken puzzle I ever seen.

TheKratos

Ah hell nah. Setting was great but 3 types of very similar enemies was shit. Give me third person in similar setting like 7 but more variety of monster (if you can't then make em all zombies ffs).

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member

Streamers doesn't equal "everyone".

Recently replayed RE8 village with the 3rd person camera and boy did I enjoy it way, way more - it almost feels like a new game and it elevates the whole RE8 experience to new levels.

In fact, RE8 was a 7.5/10 for me back on release day but it's easily a 8.5-9/10 on a 2nd playthrough with the 3rd person camera.

OK-good game with the 1st person camera, brilliant game with the 3rd person one.

No RE should be in 1st person.period.

Last edited:

Killer8

RE7 was amazing and felt a lot more focused than Village. It's Texas Chainsaw Massacre mixed with a RE1 throwback, compared to Village's Universal monster movie and RE4 mashup.

The game does lose some steam once you reach the boat but that was more a consequence of it doing that ultra shitty thing games do where you lose all your gear and are suddenly vulnerable again. Between the mold monsters not being scary and the complicated multi-floor level design, it just created a really irritating part of the game.

Streamers doesn't equal "everyone".

Recently replayed RE8 village with the 3rd person camera and boy did I enjoy it way, way more - it almost feels like a new game and it elevates the whole RE8 experience to new levels.

In fact, RE8 was a 7.5/10 for me back on release day but it's easily a 8.5-9/10 on a 2nd playthrough with the 3rd person camera.

OK-good game with the 1st person camera, brilliant game with the 3rd person one.

No RE should be in 1st person.period.

Neither are random people on a forum even as big as this one, a good metric. The only thing that matters are sales numbers. RE7 sold more copies than RE2R a highly anticipated old skool remake. Actually sold almost double of RE4 Remake, an even more beloved title. RE8 sold 3 mil copies more than RE4 Remake too.

The reason I said streamers is because I have seen so many modern RE videos by now, to this day have not yet run into a video where someone is playing third person RE7 or RE8. Just the way RE4 changed the game and never went back to slow paced horror gameplay, so too did RE7 and theres absolutely no reason to go backwards when they double dip with VR as well, something that maybe still niche but still a product of the future of gaming.

Besides a few hardcore fans that dont even like RE4, nobody else cares about going to third person. First person has proven to be way more immersive and scarrier. I can bet my left nut we will never go back to third person besides a fan service mod added a year later.

Last edited:
Because the game wasn't designed for third-person and that came out way after the game launched.

Third-person RE is better. I want to see who I'm controlling. It was fine for RE7 and and the kind of game it is but no.

Thats the direction RE is going same as they changed direction with RE4. They arent going backwards when this is selling like hot cakes.

yurinka

As confirmed during the Capcom Next digital showcase, Nakanishi will helm the next new entry in the series, expected to be Resident Evil 9.
The title is wrong. He didn't say anything about RE9. He said they are working on a new RE game.

Meaning, it could be RE9 (most likely case) but also could be a new Revelations game, a new MP game, a new remake, etc.

I bet they are working in both RE9 and the next remake.

Last edited:

Diddy X

If they make every RE third person people will grow tired of the same style, so 9 being first person and next remake being third person seems pretty logic to me.

bender

What time is it?
RE 7 was a Masterpiece. It was the scariest and most disturbing RE yet. Such a bold and risky direction and they absolutely nailed it.

That's my feelings on RE7's opening but it quickly went downhill when you got gun.

realcool

Considering how well they sell, of course its going to be first person. Also I dont see what you guys keep complaining about, they even started adding third person in their games afterwards.
By your own observation, there's a demand for both perspectives.
Judging by how many streamsers literally never play RE8 in third person its obviously not in popular demand as you might think.
And yet, there's enough of a demand for the developers to implement it anyway, as you pointed out.
Firs person is here to stay
Not only does the addition of a third-person perspective to RE8 suggest demand for both perspectives; this demand is also proven in their release roadmap.
and its way better for immersion.
Immersion is subjective.
Third person worked because of tank controls.
The RE2 and RE3 remakes worked perfectly fine without tank controls. If you're talking about the fixed camera system of the original games... why? If you're under the impression that I am looking for that, I am not.
FPS is way more fluid movement.
I'm a controller user on a PS5, and the locked FOV makes aiming feel terrible in the first-person RE games. Initially, my wish was that the developers add an option for a third-person perspective in the new game; however, I now believe that an FoV slider would also be a useful addition. Now, I have two perfectly reasonable wishes that do not bother anyone on this planet. 😂

Top Bottom