• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 7 - New Gameplay Videos & Articles

Osahi

Now I haven't played RE3 since early PS2 days, and only played it for one day where I finished the game in one power sitting, so my memory of the game isn't exactly solid, but.. From what little I remember, Nemesis encounters were scripted repeated boss encounters, he wasn't a stalker enemy. Each encounter was set as a boss/chase sequence, he doesn't randomly disrupt regular gameplay beats like enemies in Clock Tower 3, Haunting Ground, Alien Isolation and now RE7. You really can't compare Nemesis to this.

You have a point, but people seem to think enemies are relentless in Resi7. They aren't. It is randomized so at times you have long stretches of rest. I found you could reset it too when entering a safe room, so if one is hindering you from solving a puzzle, you can track back a little and make him go away.

But they hardly do hinder you. The fact they can pop up any time makes the game very tense, but the chases themselves are rather short if you handle it right. It never annoyed me like the alien did in Isolation for instance.

Also, what I played felt so much like a classic RE I think fans will absolutely love it all...

These new previews seem pretty positive, it seems like the change has paid off. RE has been in need of a change for a while now anyway, because the over the top action of 5 & 6 was not my idea of RE.

I'm really liking the new 1st person direction and a return to survival horror, bringing back the scares and creepy atmosphere, which were missing from the last few games, is a really good move. VR is also gonna ramp up the scare factor a lot too, maybe too much lol. Its looking like this might do what RE4 did and make the series fresh and really good again.

Me too but I'm going in with a clear mind . The old fans are getting REnake 2 so I don't feel too concerned that they are experimenting here.

I applaud Capcom for going back to horror and shaking things up, but I feel like it being a FPS and not having the more traditional cut-scenes will rob the game of it's character/identity.

We shall see....

kc44135

You have a point, but people seem to think enemies are relentless in Resi7. They aren't. It is randomized so at times you have long stretches of rest. I found you could reset it too when entering a safe room, so if one is hindering you from solving a puzzle, you can track back a little and make him go away.

But they hardly do hinder you. The fact they can pop up any time makes the game very tense, but the chases themselves are rather short if you handle it right. It never annoyed me like the alien did in Isolation for instance.

Also, what I played felt so much like a classic RE I think fans will absolutely love it all...

Osahi, what demo did you play? The Lantern Demo? You can just reset enemies by going into a save room? How do you lose enemies aside from doing that? Can you just get far enough away or do you actually have to hide? I'm really curious, because what you're describing doesn't sound all that bad.

Been hyped for this since the reveal pre ordered months agof. Would have got it even if previews were negative. First RE game I've been truly hyped for since 4.

Zemm

Sounds really good. Honestly can't wait for this, just need to hear that the PC version runs well and I'm in.

This is exactly the change the franchise desperately needed.

kc44135

Okay Capcom, you've got my attention now.

I still completely hate how it's a FPS now. : (

Ehh, even though I'm clearly the person who's the most critical of the game in this thread, I don't think the perspective shift is that big of a deal. The series has successfully changed perspectives before, and if we're counting spin-offs, then there have been many first-person RE games in the past. Also, the original concept for the original Resident Evil was a first-person horror game. They changed it to pre-rendered backgrounds and camera angles due to the tech just not being there for what they wanted to achieve. I could be mistaken, but I believe the first-person door animations were a holdover from this original concept.

The main thing I'm bummed by with first-person is that we won't get actual cinematic cutscenes this time around. Also, we won't probably won't be able to dress up Ethan in goofy costumes. I mean, I guess he could wear a pirate outfit or something, but there wouldn't be much point when you can't see it. :/

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Osahi, what demo did you play? The Lantern Demo? You can just reset enemies by going into a save room? How do you lose enemies aside from doing that? Can you just get far enough away or do you actually have to hide? I'm really curious, because what you're describing doesn't sound all that bad.

Osahi played the 3-5 hour demo that's being talked about in this topic. They're a journalist. So out of anyone in the topic, they'd be the one who most knows what they're talking about since they've played a decent chunk of the game from the demo all these videos/impressions are coming from.

kc44135

They don't mention that puzzle solving/exploration segments occur while we are running from a Baker. In fact, that would be HORRIBLE design. It sounds like we need to lead a Baker to an encounter to put him down for a long period of time, in order to get to the next segment of the house. These previewers played the game for 5 hours and none of them mentioned this huge design flaw. In fact, previews are glowing.

As for the Lantern demo, as we have mentioned to you several times now, that is NOT the main character you're playing as during that segment. You're playing a tape in that segment, and you're playing as Mia specifically, not the main character. Having different gameplay sequences explored during the tapes is actually a bit freeing and refreshing, gameplay wise. But again, to each their own.

I'm aware that you don't play as Ethan in the tapes. Have they specifically confirmed there will be no stealth though? Alot of the previews I read mentioned running and hiding from the Bakers while playing as Ethan. I don't think stealth would be a bad thing in and of itself, tbh.

kc44135

Osahi played the 3-5 hour demo that's being talked about in this topic. They're a journalist. So out of anyone in the topic, they'd be the one who most knows what they're talking about since they've played a decent chunk of the game from the demo all these videos/impressions are coming from.

Oh wow, I didn't know that they were a journalist. I didn't doubt what they were saying, I just didn't realize they were actually describing the full game. The way Osahi describes the chase sequences, they don't sound all that bad.

Dusk Golem

I'm aware that you don't play as Ethan in the tapes. Have they specifically confirmed there will be no stealth though? Alot of the previews I read mentioned running and hiding from the Bakers while playing as Ethan. I don't think stealth would be a bad thing in and of itself, tbh.

There are stealth mechanics in RE7. The misconception is stealth is the only option though. RE7 is specifically designed based off of RE1, ie you have multiple options at your disposal at any given moment. Stealth is one of them, as is running away or even baiting the enemy somewhere and then running past them, as is shooting and utilizing your weapons and traps (there's some explosives it seems you can plant as an example), as is using your environment (it was confirmed a while ago you can do things in the environment to help take care of the Bakers). Outside of specific VHS sequences (which are optional but reveal more story, solutions, secrets, and can lightly change things going from the demo), you're not ripped of your choices at any given moment and I think that's part of the reason RE7 is being received so well in previews. It's not, "Oh, I HAVE to stealth past Jack in this segment," or, "Okay, so at this part I NEED to shoot them dead," it seems the game gives you tools and mechanics and then you have to use what you can use to best survive and get by. The exception may be boss fights, but we don't know enough about them really, it sounds like you must shoot them dead but there may be multiple ways in the arena to take them out or help you against them.

kc44135

There are stealth mechanics in RE7. The misconception is stealth is the only option though. RE7 is specifically designed based off of RE1, ie you have multiple options at your disposal at any given moment. Stealth is one of them, as is running away or even baiting the enemy somewhere and then running past them, as is shooting and utilizing your weapons and traps (there's some explosives it seems you can plant as an example), as is using your environment (it was confirmed a while ago you can do things in the environment to help take care of the Bakers). Outside of specific VHS sequences (which are optional but reveal more story, solutions, secrets, and can lightly change things going from the demo), you're not ripped of your choices at any given moment and I think that's part of the reason RE7 is being received so well in previews. It's not, "Oh, I HAVE to stealth past Jack in this segment," or, "Okay, so at this part I NEED to shoot them dead," it seems the game gives you tools and mechanics and then you have to use what you can use to best survive and get by. The exception may be boss fights, but we don't know enough about them really, it sounds like you must shoot them dead but there may be multiple ways in the arena to take them out or help you against them.

Yeah, that sounds pretty interesting actually. To be clear, I don't WANT to come into RE7 topics and bash this game. I'm just clearly having a bit of a tougher time than most wrapping my head around how RE7's design works, and what it's trying to achieve. It's very different from past games in the series. Btw, are we still getting a demo update this month? I haven't heard much about it, and I'm eager to see if we'll get actual gameplay this time around. I'm hoping that maybe everything will just click for me if I get to try out the actual gameplay.

Osahi

As somebody stressed before, I played the preview build on an event.

I can give an impression of losing an enemy. I was looking for a certain object which was in a room I had a key for. When I went to that room I crossed an enemy. He noticed me so he started following me. He keeps walking though, and I can run so I did. I broke the line of sight, which meant he went looking for me. I avoided him a bit, until I reached the room and felt safe opening it (he constantly shouts stuff like 'I'll find you!' or 'There you are!' so you can have an idea where they are and if they know where you are). I got into the room, closed the door behind me. As he didn't see me entering a 'closed' room, he didn't look in there and after a while he went away. I grabbed the item which I could use for a puzzle and went on my way. The locations are usually big enough, with enough rooms, shortcuts and such, to give you enough ways to get out.

Another moment I ran away and hid for a minute or so in a basement. He didn't look behind the closet I was behind, so he left after a while and I could relatively safely return to my 'quest'.

You can also always fight your way out of a pickle. Fire a few shots in the head of such an enemy, and he staggers, so you can get out. Once you break line of sight, and if you keep out of his sight, he will go away after a while.

Other times I fled into a safe room (which aren't too far away usually) and when I came out the enemy was gone. Sometimes I died in the hands of such an enemy, and after loading a checkpoint the enemy was gone because it was randomised (which might not have been stressed yet, but apart from the safe rooms, the game saves automaticaly after certain points, and it's quite often)

I can give an impression of losing an enemy. I was looking for a certain object which was in a room I had a key for. When I went to that room I crossed an enemy. He noticed me so he started following me. He keeps walking though, and I can run so I did. I broke the line of sight, which meant he went looking for me. I avoided him a bit, until I reached the room and felt safe opening it (he constantly shouts stuff like 'I'll find you!' or 'There you are!' so you can have an idea where they are and if they know where you are). I got into the room, closed the door behind me. As he didn't see me entering a 'closed' room, he didn't look in there and after a while he went away. I grabbed the item which I could use for a puzzle and went on my way. The locations are usually big enough, with enough rooms, shortcuts and such, to give you enough ways to get out.

Another moment I ran away and hid for a minute or so in a basement. He didn't look behind the closet I was behind, so he left after a while and I could relatively safely return to my 'quest'.

You can also always fight your way out of a pickle. Fire a few shots in the head of such an enemy, and he staggers, so you can get out. Once you break line of sight, and if you keep out of his sight, he will go away after a while.

Other times I fled into a safe room (which aren't too far away usually) and when I came out the enemy was gone. Sometimes I died in the hands of such an enemy, and after loading a checkpoint the enemy was gone because it was randomised (which might not have been stressed yet, but apart from the safe rooms, the game saves automaticaly after certain points, and it's quite often)

Good to hear first-hand information from someone on here, cheers!

This 'random unbeatable encounters go hide' business basically sounds like the worst case scenario in terms of gameplay mechanics for my tastes. I'm a huge Horror fan in general but the over-the-top emphasis of helplessness in recent Horror titles goes too far into territory that surely works thematically and in theory in terms of creating true dread and all but never amounts to fun or exciting gameplay for me. I had this problem with Alien Isolation and every other game of its ilk I've tried. It sounds great in theory but I get nothing out of it gameplay wise.

Hopefully this aspect of the game isn't overly frequent, probably wouldn't have a problem dealing with it once in a while to break up 'normal' combat.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member

Thanks for the impressions.

In the GamesRader interview, I read that the Bakers are bullet sponges and require a lot of ammunition to be taken down. My question is if you use ammo on a Baker, does that information save and will less ammo be required to take down that same Baker later on? Or does the amount of ammo required to take down a Baker reset on each encounter?

I'm hoping it's the former.

Osahi

Thanks for the impressions.

In the GamesRader interview, I read that the Bakers are bullet sponges and require a lot of ammunition to be taken down. My question is if you use ammo on a Baker, does that information save and will less ammo be required to take down that same Baker later on? Or does the amount of ammo required to take down a Baker reset on each encounter?

I'm hoping it's the former.

They are bullet sponges in the sense that you can't take them out easily. I assume from what I saw you can only kill them at certain points in the game, where the story asks you to take them out (haven't read Gamesradar, but I assume they are actually talking about these fights?). You can't really take them out on a random encounter, you can just stall them. I think it took maybe 2 to 3 headshots to stagger one of them so I could run far away from them. But usually you can get away anyway, as they tend to walk towards you in stead of run. I only fired on them when they were to close to realistically be able to escape. You should really compare them to the Xeno in Alien: Isolation, whom you can't kill either.

I don't think the shots you fire into them make them easier to take out later on. I would advise against shooting them even, as your bullets are way more important against other enemies you can kill.

Good to hear first-hand information from someone on here, cheers!

This 'random unbeatable encounters go hide' business basically sounds like the worst case scenario in terms of gameplay mechanics for my tastes. I'm a huge Horror fan in general but the over-the-top emphasis of helplessness in recent Horror titles goes too far into territory that surely works thematically and in theory in terms of creating true dread and all but never amounts to fun or exciting gameplay for me. I had this problem with Alien Isolation and every other game of its ilk I've tried. It sounds great in theory but I get nothing out of it gameplay wise.

Hopefully this aspect of the game isn't overly frequent, probably wouldn't have a problem dealing with it once in a while to break up 'normal' combat.

I understand. I am actually not a big fan of it either (it's the reason I didn't finish Alien: Isolation), but I found it very cool in Resident Evil VII and handled well too as you have ways to deal with it. It's just really tense and cool to backtrack to a place to solve a puzzle you finally got all the pieces for, and suddenly see a Baker shuffling down a hallway. It's very tense and cool to try and do your thing without them even noticing you are around too. Compared to the Xeno, it's less of a drag. He was to unpredictable at times. Combined with the terrible saving system there, it was a drag to go trough that game at times. Resident Evil 7 saves a lot, so I never had to replay big chunks. (This was normal mode)

Also, it's balanced in the sense that in certain parts of the demo you weren't stalked by one of the Bakers in any way, and I assume they never will in those parts. There were other enemies there though you needed to manage (and actually could kill, though running is often the best way to go about it, like it was in classic RE)

Dantooine

Banned
I also didn't like Alien Isolation. I played a good chunk if it and was bored. RE7 sounds like a cross between Alien Isolation and The Evil Within. In TEW you were given a choice to either hide or confront enemies. The way RE7 is shaping up it seems there are probably less enemies than in TEW, but the enemies that are there can be dealt with (either by delaying the Bakers of killing the regenerator types). It's all good but part if me wishes there was the odd zombie popping up... A few articles have mentioned The Shining, and I guess the way Jack Baker is hunting you down is similar to the way Jack hunts Danny in the film. Brilliant.

One thing I'm really looking forward to and something that's been missing from RE for so long is the opening up of an environment, getting keys opening paths and expanding the map. That was the overriding puzzle element to the original games, the way that if you thought about it you could avoid certain enemies by going different routes. Backtracking can be cheap, but done right it's great.

I think I'm going to have to go on a media blackout from now on. Don't want to ruin what's coming.

RangerX

Banned
This looks absolutely amazing. My most anticipated game now after TLG. I'm loving the atmosphere and glad that some form of puzzle are back. The game looks really good too.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
They are bullet sponges in the sense that you can't take them out easily. I assume from what I saw you can only kill them at certain points in the game, where the story asks you to take them out (haven't read Gamesradar, but I assume they are actually talking about these fights?). You can't really take them out on a random encounter, you can just stall them. I think it took maybe 2 to 3 headshots to stagger one of them so I could run far away from them. But usually you can get away anyway, as they tend to walk towards you in stead of run. I only fired on them when they were to close to realistically be able to escape. You should really compare them to the Xeno in Alien: Isolation, whom you can't kill either.

I don't think the shots you fire into them make them easier to take out later on. I would advise against shooting them even, as your bullets are way more important against other enemies you can kill.

I understand. I am actually not a big fan of it either (it's the reason I didn't finish Alien: Isolation), but I found it very cool in Resident Evil VII and handled well too as you have ways to deal with it. It's just really tense and cool to backtrack to a place to solve a puzzle you finally got all the pieces for, and suddenly see a Baker shuffling down a hallway. It's very tense and cool to try and do your thing without them even noticing you are around too. Compared to the Xeno, it's less of a drag. He was to unpredictable at times. Combined with the terrible saving system there, it was a drag to go trough that game at times. Resident Evil 7 saves a lot, so I never had to replay big chunks. (This was normal mode)

Also, it's balanced in the sense that in certain parts of the demo you weren't stalked by one of the Bakers in any way, and I assume they never will in those parts. There were other enemies there though you needed to manage (and actually could kill, though running is often the best way to go about it, like it was in classic RE)

Would you say the combat is clunky? I have to say that all the impressions and videos have colored me excited, however that one scene with your character shooting at the Baker in what seemed to be a garage did not look very intuitive at all. In fact, the shooting looked clunky and unpleasant. How do you like it?

The only problem with Alien was that it should have been a shorter, tightly-paced thriller rather than how ridiculously drawn out it was.

So much about the game was amazing but the pacing was dreadful.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
The only problem with Alien was that it should have been a shorter, tightly-paced thriller rather than how ridiculously drawn out it was.

So much about the game was amazing but the pacing was dreadful.

Yes. The last three chapters are unnecessary. Could have really ended shortly after finding the nest.

Dusk Golem

^
e2ebbcaafb8bbb5833e1bbc40dc8d3ac.png

I saw~ (hope you're enjoying FFXV)

Hmm good point. Pretty well done if it's fan made

It looks fanmade, and I can't find anything on it anywhere, so I'm 90% certain this was fanmade. The stuff at the end is from 10 Teaser videos during October also.

Bl@de

Sounds really good. Honestly can't wait for this, just need to hear that the PC version runs well and I'm in.

This is exactly the change the franchise desperately needed.

I'm optimistic for the PC port. Capcom delivered great ports of PS3/X360 games. It is a new engine though, so some problems could be possible. But even with problems. The game is 60fps on consoles. Performance shouldn't be an issue (similar to MGSV, BF1, etc.)

Yeah, that sounds pretty interesting actually. To be clear, I don't WANT to come into RE7 topics and bash this game. I'm just clearly having a bit of a tougher time than most wrapping my head around how RE7's design works, and what it's trying to achieve. It's very different from past games in the series. Btw, are we still getting a demo update this month? I haven't heard much about it, and I'm eager to see if we'll get actual gameplay this time around. I'm hoping that maybe everything will just click for me if I get to try out the actual gameplay.

Demo update, along with a new trailer, is likely going to be revealed at PSX this Saturday.

Jobbs

Banned
I skimmed over the whole IGN video and didn't see anything but outlasty looking stuff. RE is the worst possible game to turn into Borelast. :(

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I skimmed over the whole IGN video and didn't see anything but outlasty looking stuff. RE is the worst possible game to turn into Borelast. :(
I personally think it "looks" fantastic, I agree the house looks great and layout with doors to be opened and the second farm house plus puzzles is very Resident Evil, but with Jack just following you and whaling on you and the FP view.
Yeah it looks more like outlast, its like making MGS a FPS and saying its still MGS, no its not.
If it was 3rd person with a few monsters or enemies dotted around plus Jack....yeah maybe.
There's a few design decisions that completely changes the game, and if you don't like them you're not gonna see past it.

It's REmake and RE3 modernized and in 1st person. Apart from the latter, nothing about this game will be like Outlast walking simulators.

I personally think it "looks" fantastic, I agree the house looks great and layout with doors to be opened and the second farm house plus puzzles is very Resident Evil, but with Jack just following you and whaling on you and the FP view.
Yeah it looks more like outlast, its like making MGS a FPS and saying its still MGS, no its not.t.

Yeah, it's like making Metroid a "FPS" and sayi... oh nvm.

Top Bottom