• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 7 - New Gameplay Videos & Articles

saher

Banned
Calling it now, the ending is Leon turning off the tape, yup folks the whole game is actually leon watching Ethan's tape which is why you cant see his face :eek:

dont do it capcom

kc44135

When the Bakers are stalking you in the halls of the mansion, avoiding them is the best option. However, there are encounters where you are forced to fight them (2 are mentioned in this early slice of the game alone; the 2 I mentioned involving Jack Baker). Those encounters seem to put them down for a much longer period of time, allowing you to more thoroughly explore the mansion & solve its puzzles.

As for the Regenerator creatures - they aren't called regenerators. They just look like them. And they can be permanently killed. But when ammo is as scarce as they say it is in the early game here, its best to try and run past them. The Gamesradar piece specifically says you can kill them, and the IGN piece reiterates that but they say they didn't really like these enemies cause it takes away from the Bakers. Again, THEY CAN BE PERMANENTLY KILLED. They aren't the only ones - we know from various sources there are several other enemies that can be permanently killed as well. This is a game where you can unlock ammo upgrades for guns, unlock stronger weapons with token currency, and has a knife so you can melee enemies at all times - there is way more combat in this game than you are & have given credit.

And to iterate another point - you can't really be a stealth game unless there are mechanics that allow you to have stealth gameplay. From everything we've seen, once the Bakers enter the picture, they are on your ass. All you can do is either take them down for a little while with your weapons, or run to wherever the game is trying to funnel you to, unless its a designated encounter where you can take them out on a more permanent basis.

I get your point on stealth, but we have seen actual stealth in the Lantern Demo, and several previews mention running and hiding from enemies (like GamesRadar). I think the game will definitely have stealth elements of some kind. Also, I believe you on being able to kill the mold enemies (or whatever they're called), and having portions of the game where you aren't pursued. Regardless of that, there is still clearly going to be a focus on exploring and solving puzzles etc. while having something constantly on your ass that you can't really kill seemingly for a significant portion of the game. None of the past RE games have featured this style of design, and I don't like the sound of it. I don't think that portion of the game sounds fun, and that's just honestly how I feel about it. Maybe the full game will change my mind. We'll see.

kc44135

You're not always being chased by enemies. You'll have plenty of time to take in the environments.

Let's be real. You'll be there on day one with the rest of us.

Yeah, you got me. I will be there day one no matter what. I've never said otherwise though. I've always said I would give the game a chance regardless of my feelings towards it pre-release. RE is my favorite gaming franchise ever, regardless of any criticism I might have towards 7 or any other game in the series.

I get your point on stealth, but we have seen actual stealth in the Lantern Demo, and several previews mention running and hiding from enemies (like GamesRadar). I think the game will definitely have stealth elements of some kind. Also, I believe you on being able to kill the mold enemies (or whatever they're called), and having portions of the game where you aren't pursued. Regardless of that, there is still clearly going to be a focus on exploring and solving puzzles etc. while having something constantly on your ass that you can't really kill seemingly for a significant portion of the game. None of the past RE games have featured this style of design, and I don't like the sound of it. I don't think that portion of the game sounds fun, and that's just honestly how I feel about it. Maybe the full game will change my mind. We'll see.

They don't mention that puzzle solving/exploration segments occur while we are running from a Baker. In fact, that would be HORRIBLE design. It sounds like we need to lead a Baker to an encounter to put him down for a long period of time, in order to get to the next segment of the house. These previewers played the game for 5 hours and none of them mentioned this huge design flaw. In fact, previews are glowing.

As for the Lantern demo, as we have mentioned to you several times now, that is NOT the main character you're playing as during that segment. You're playing a tape in that segment, and you're playing as Mia specifically, not the main character. Having different gameplay sequences explored during the tapes is actually a bit freeing and refreshing, gameplay wise. But again, to each their own.

Jawmuncher

I'm pretty confident that the cheese fans want will be all from Jack. If the "Welcome to the family, son" wasn't enough evidence, this will be.

"OOOOOH Boy, Now look what you done Muthafucka"
https://youtu.be/mXAdY9DHvTQ?t=1m41s

I know it was already brought up in the thread, but a lot of his dialog is so cheesy in the 8 minute reel. I love it.

I can't take the "Welcome to the family son" guy seriously...

Like other than cheap jump scares how can this guy be intimidating? At least the old lady has the creepy face.
Unless Jack turns into some kind of monster

I'm pretty confident that the cheese fans want will be all from Jack. If the "Welcome to the family, son" wasn't enough evidence, this will be.

"OOOOOH Boy, Now look what you done Muthafucka"
https://youtu.be/mXAdY9DHvTQ?t=1m41s

I know it was already brought up in the thread, but a lot of his dialog is so cheesy in the 8 minute reel. I love it.

The pitch in his voice there and in a later encounter seems off compared the dinner scene and BH. It's...goofy in effect.

Roboculus

This looks quite promising. I wasn't that interested when they first unveiled it but hearing about how similar it is to the original RE games, I'm definitely a lot more interested now.

Enemies just slowly walking toward you like a massive derp, but moving erratically and quickly when they grab you or swing at you is just so jarringly stupid. It's immediately not scary

Speaking for the part where you state "while having something constantly on your ass that you can't really kill seemingly for a significant portion of the game." I believe this is what they were trying to achieve with the Nemisis in RE:3 so I'd argue it's a staple in the series for sure.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
*super positive previews

MESS!!!!!!!!!!
Believe it or not, people can disagree with game critics about what they want next from their favorite franchise that they enjoyed for the last 20 years.

Believe it or not, people can disagree with game critics about what they want next from their favorite franchise that they enjoyed for the last 20 years.

Okay but the previews are very positive and we haven't played the game. Calling it a mess is somewhat kneejerkish at this juncture, no?

I'm hoping they clear up the really bad shimmer from the Kitchen Demo on PSVR when using the Pro. Other games have shown that the Pro can really tidy up the graphics and if they do this, it's going to be a nightmare come true! I might just sit on the toilet with my VR headset strapped to my head!

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Okay but the previews are very positive and we haven't played the game. Calling it a mess is somewhat kneejerkish at this juncture, no?
I am seeing what the game is with my own eyes and have read everything Capcom said about the new directions and design they have in mind for the game. I can know already how many billion miles from anything I want it is (like turning Street Fighter into Bushido Blade) by what has been shown and said. This actual gameplay was the final confirmation I needed.

Now I'll see my way out so I don't get sucked into (by way of replying to others) seeming like I'm more into waxing on about the disappointment than I am.

Osahi

I have played this demo too and the unkillable enemies are easily the best part. It's tense and unpredictable, but you kind of have always the chance to run or hide. It's even no insta-death once they get you. After a while they stop hunting you if they don't find you, and go look in other places in the house.

Also. You can compare it to Nemesis in Resi 3

Prompto

Banned
I can't wait to get this in VR.

And then watch my roommate play all of it while I sit on the couch with the lights on.

I am seeing what the game is with my own eyes and have read everything Capcom said about the new directions and design they have in mind for the game. I can know already how many billion miles from anything I want it is by what has been shown and said. This actual gameplay was the final confirmation I needed.

Now I'll see my way out so I don't get sucked into (by way of replying to others) seeming like I'm more into waxing on about the disappointment than I am.

I'd say chill and play it for yourself. You may be pleasantly surprised in the end.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I'm hoping they clear up the really bad shimmer from the Kitchen Demo on PSVR when using the Pro. Other games have shown that the Pro can really tidy up the graphics and if they do this, it's going to be a nightmare come true! I might just sit on the toilet with my VR headset strapped to my head!

In addition to having no Pro support Kitchen is also two years old. I think it's safe to say that the final game in VR on Pro will look much better.

In addition to having no Pro support Kitchen is also two years old. I think it's safe to say that the final game in VR on Pro will look much better.

Ah thanks, I never realised this, everyone that has played it has been scared by it and seemed to look past the shortfalls in the graphics.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
So the kitchen demo is basically one of the tapes you can find in the full game?

That's pretty amazing really. I like the idea of having a lot of short self contained scenarios for people to find.

Sayad

Also. You can compare it to Nemesis in Resi 3
Now I haven't played RE3 since early PS2 days, and only played it for one day where I finished the game in one power sitting, so my memory of the game isn't exactly solid, but.. From what little I remember, Nemesis encounters were scripted repeated boss encounters, he wasn't a stalker enemy. Each encounter was set as a boss/chase sequence, he doesn't randomly disrupt regular gameplay beats like enemies in Clock Tower 3, Haunting Ground, Alien Isolation and now RE7. You really can't compare Nemesis to this.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I know everyone keeps comparing the game to everything, but I'm in the camp the more they show off, the more I'm reminded of Haunting Ground.

Those were Capcom horror games where you were mostly defenseless, but not COMPLETELY defenseless. Most people remember it for your dog companion, and you don't have a dog in this, but everything else reminds me of it. First is that the stalkers for the moment seem to be location-based. IE, the first place you're in Jack is your main stalker, the second area Marguerite is your main stalker. Haunting Ground & Clock Tower 3 did this exact same sort of design, where there'd be a different stalker who behaved differently as the main stalker of each location. In Haunting Ground you could disable them for a period of time using things in the environment and tools to sort of knock them out for a time.

The second thing is the locations themselves. One of my favorite things about Haunting Ground was it's overly designed rooms and elements that made its various locations incredibly memorable. This game has that same sort of thing going for it, the rooms look incredibly intricately designed, they all don't look samey and have a distinct look going for each of them. This is also one HUGE difference to most other horror games and something I love in horror games when done well, which it looks like RE7 is doing. It basically makes much more memorable locations and much more interesting environments to explore. Haunting Ground was filled to the brim with this, and had some very strange imagery and design, and this is reminding me a lot of how Haunting Ground tackled it.

The third thing is the stalkers aren't the only threat. In Haunting Ground there's also a few other entities, some aren't malicious and some are, which are easier to deal with, and booby-traps. A lot of it in Haunting Ground was related to puzzles, this seems a bit different. But the idea is the stalker is not the sole gameplay thing or the sole threat, just a more notable threat among an interesting world of threats.

Also the whole Family thing reminds me of Haunting Ground, the villains in Haunting Ground were all twisted members of a sort of family (more like companions in a castle) who all wanted the main character for deranged reasons, and part of the game (a big part) was learning about your antagonist, their twisted relationships with each other, what they have to gain through you, and you trying to escape their messed-up plans for you. The Baker family and how they function remind me so much of Haunting Ground, I love it.

There's also other elements, like Camille reminds me a bit of the wheelchair antagonist of Haunting Ground. They function differently, but also the same. He would pop up from time to time in Haunting Ground to harass you, and it seems she kind of haunts the player and hums and disappears in RE7.

It's not a direct riff, but I'm being more and more reminded of it as time goes on. There was word some time ago that some people who worked on Haunting Ground were working on RE7, and I'm seeing their possible influence more and more.

myco666

Yeah this game also reminds me of Haunting Ground and it makes me worried. I love that game but hate playing because it is basically designed to constantly annoy you. Really hope you get more breathing room against the stalker style enemies than in HG.

Looks beautiful and I'm really excited.

However, not too sure I like the idea of The Bakers constantly killed/stunned/re-spawned (if I understand this correctly?).

Here's hoping for other foes than the black straggly things.

Dusk Golem

Yeah this game also reminds me of Haunting Ground and it makes me worried. I love that game but hate playing because it is basically designed to constantly annoy you. Really hope you get more breathing room against the stalker style enemies than in HG.

I really liked Haunting Ground, but I know some people want to wreck shit more than have to deal with shit that can wreck them. For what it's worth, I do think RE7 will have more defending than Haunting Ground did, and we already know that weapons like shotguns, magnums, chainsaws, flamethrowers, explosives, etc., are in RE7. And we also now know the game has weapon upgrades, you can upgrade firepower, reload, etc., through the coin/bird cage system. But so far they've only shown the Handgun in gameplay, and it might be an un-upgraded handgun.

myco666

I really liked Haunting Ground, but I know some people want to wreck shit more than have to deal with shit that can wreck them. For what it's worth, I do think RE7 will have more defending than Haunting Ground did, and we already know that weapons like shotguns, magnums, chainsaws, flamethrowers, explosives, etc., are in RE7. And we also now know the game has weapon upgrades, you can upgrade firepower, reload, etc., through the coin/bird cage system. But so far they've only shown the Handgun in gameplay, and it might be an un-upgraded handgun.

I don't think the problem with HG is that you don't really have ways to defend yourself but how you are constantly interrupted by the stalkers. Trying to solve a puzzle? *stalker enters the room* and now you need to run away and figure out a hiding spot. Trying to just explore? *stalker is behind you* now you have to run away through the whole area while trying to find a place to hide. Not really a fan of this style of gameplay and these RE7 stalkers seem to be very similiar but can't be sure yet how large part of gameplay they are.

kromeo

Now I haven't played RE3 since early PS2 days, and only played it for one day where I finished the game in one power sitting, so my memory of the game isn't exactly solid, but.. From what little I remember, Nemesis encounters were scripted repeated boss encounters, he wasn't a stalker enemy. Each encounter was set as a boss/chase sequence, he doesn't randomly disrupt regular gameplay beats like enemies in Clock Tower 3, Haunting Ground, Alien Isolation and now RE7. You really can't compare Nemesis to this.

I can't remember for sure but I think he could appear in different places. He was quite easy to run away from though from memory

Dusk Golem

I don't think the problem with HG is that you don't really have ways to defend yourself but how you are constantly interrupted by the stalkers. Trying to solve a puzzle? *stalker enters the room* and now you need to run away and figure out a hiding spot. Trying to just explore? *stalker is behind you* now you have to run away through the whole area while trying to find a place to hide. Not really a fan of this style of gameplay and these RE7 stalkers seem to be very similiar but can't be sure yet how large part of gameplay they are.

There's a surprising amount of strategy to Haunting Ground if you get into it, there some gem-like things you can lay to alert of stalkers getting nearby or to follow and chase them off (kind of a similar to the blue flames that chase you), plus Hewie has his dog sense and will start grring before they come to allow you a chance to hide before they appear so they just go on their merry way (and usually RIGHT before they show up you hear some footstep sounds meaning they're about to enter the room so you can last minute respond). But generally part of exploration is to scout the hiding spots, the places to trap your stalkers, etc. But I do realize taste comes into play here and all of that, I'm more of a 'general' horror guy, I like all kinds. I love action horror, I love atmospheric horror, I love stalker horror, I love survival-horror, first-person, third-person, fixed camera, psychological, slasher, you name it. There's only a few types I'm less fond of (for instance, I'm not too big on torture porns, but there are a few that can be pretty good, but that'd be a kind I'm generally less favorable towards).

RE7 is a whole, "We won't know until we know," deal. The final demo update should hit in less than a week and the PSX trailer, but I have a few bets that there will be more variety in the game than people expect, and more enemies outside of the Baker's and the Moulded we've seen.

This looks amazing!

Do we know of any differences between Xbox and standard PS4 versions? HDR, resoluton etc..

Don't think that's been disclosed but if the usual AAA games are anything to go by. Normally dynamic resolution for XB1 and fixed for PS4, or if dynamic on PS4 as well then the scaling is more aggressive on the XB1. Would imagine if HDR is in it will be in both.

Don't think that's been disclosed but if the usual AAA games are anything to go by. Normally dynamic resolution for XB1 and fixed for PS4, or if dynamic on PS4 as well then the scaling is more aggressive on the XB1. Would imagine if HDR is in it will be in both.

Thanks.

Just found this quote from Capcom:

"Similarly, with HDR support on the Xbox One S, players can enjoy gameplay in Full HD that offers realism that can almost be felt."

Seems to suggest a fixed resolution but we will have to wait and see.

Velurian

This is looking like it could be something special...

Man, FF15 November
TLG in December
RE7 in January
Horizon & Nioh in February

Hmmm...what's getting delayed?

Nothing!
Add ME: Andromeda to the mix for March (I hope) and Persona 5 (no more delays, please. please no more) for April. What a streak!

Top Bottom