• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil Community |OT2| Best Fans Ever!

JayEH

Forwarding this post regarding campaigns in re6

Here's an order I made, the 'Chronological Order' I hear some people like to use on their first time playing:

Prelude Chapter
Chris Chapter 1
Chris Chapter 2
Jake Chapter 1
Jake Chapter 2
Leon Chapter 1
Leon Chapter 2
Leon Chapter 3
Jake Chapter 3
Chris Chapter 3
Jake Chapter 4
Leon Chapter 4
Chris Chapter 4
Jake Chapter 5
Chris Chapter 5
Leon Chapter 5
Ada's Campaign

I'm still banking on them trying to bridge classic and modern in RE2make. While I doubt we'll get crazy Melee or anything. I still expect some modern conventions added.

I only say this because, I feel like if they were going just straight remake style. We'd have seen something by now.

I could see a hybrid happening. maybe something like the re4 hookman prototype.

Jawmuncher

Found it, was the family's interview.
http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?p=207433684#post207433684

Kawada: We have various Resident Evil games co in out to celebrate the 20th Anniversary of the series. With games such as "RE7", the shooter "Umbrella Core" and the yet to be announced "awaited title", we want people to really enjoy what RE can still offer and the variety of the games that's will be released.

Still think they're talking about something other than REmake2, since RE2 was announced. Though it could be a translation error.

The more it costs, the more action it will need to break even. If you want something remake-style it makes no sense to want them to include RE3 in the project scope.

They're both pretty small games that mostly rely on backtracking rather than new environments, and combining them actually extends both games for half the cost compared to doing each seperately.

No RE5/6 style budgets needed.

I expect a full price product with top production values. Not full price for 2 hours recycled 4 times, or budget price Rev2 fugly.

Please not Rev2 fugly.

Found it, was the family's interview.
http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?p=207433684#post207433684

Kawada: We have various Resident Evil games co in out to celebrate the 20th Anniversary of the series. With games such as "RE7", the shooter "Umbrella Core" and the yet to be announced "awaited title", we want people to really enjoy what RE can still offer and the variety of the games that's will be released.

Still think they're talking about something other than REmake2, since RE2 was announced. Though it could be a translation error.

Have they officially announced RE2make though, or is it still that facebook thing and mentions?

And I hope they call it that because RE2 remake doesn't apply anymore with the RE3 parts

:p

Though it could be a translation error.

I honestly think that was the case now, after how TGS turned out.

If they had a third upcoming long-awaited game (separate from REmake 2), they would have announced it by now.

But there's a possibility that they decided it would be better to not take attention away from RE7 until its out.

JayEH

They're both pretty small games that mostly rely on backtracking rather than new environments, and combining them actually extends both games for half the cost compared to doing each seperately.

No RE5/6 style budgets needed.

I expect a full price product with top production values. Not full price for 2 hours recycled 4 times, or budget price Rev2 fugly.

Please not Rev2 fugly.

you're vastly underestimating a lot of things.

you're vastly underestimating a lot of things.
Seriously though it depends on the situation.

Like if Capcom wanted to go straight into Revelations 3 after this finished up, it would be better to separate them.

However if RE8 is the next game it would be far better to combine them now than wait for 8 then trying to do RE3.

Yes it is alot of extra time and money however that being done while the game is in full production is alot easier than the typical pre-production and crazy team/staff shifts.

It honestly just depends on if Capcom thinks that extra critical response, potential slight sales bump* and package value is worth it.
*yeah its a 2for1 however both being Resident Evil with a common base won't have a huge number buying for RE33 who wouldn't have for RE2.

Here's why a remake combining both RE2 and RE3 likely won't happen:

$$$$$

They can make more money selling you two games for $60 each individually, instead of only one game for $60. Especially when they know we are all complete suckers for RE and will willingly buy both separately, including any higher-priced collector editions they might release for each. It's a cash cow waiting to happen.

RE2 and RE3 are very different games, in terms of assets. Anyone saying otherwise needs to go replay them. If they make REmake 2 and 3 into one game, they now have to divide the resources that would have gone solely to REmake 2 into two. If you'd like a watered-down remake of both of them, then great, because that's what you'd get this way. Me? I'd rather both games get the full, undivided attention they each deserve. And I don't want to see REmake 2's release delayed so they can add 3. I'd rather get 2 sooner. I can wait for 3.

Anyone who thinks combing RE2 and 3 into one game really need to revisit those games. They aren't nearly as similar as you're probably remembering, as Valen said. I think a lot of people just remeber RE3 up to the RPD, but that's really only a 1/3 of the game, maybe even a little less.

Anyone who thinks combing RE2 and 3 into one game really need to revisit those games. They aren't nearly as similar as you're probably remembering, as Valen said. I think a lot of people just remeber RE3 up to the RPD, but that's really only a 1/3 of the game, maybe even a little less.

As different as they are, 2 and 3 are likely not to be remade in a 1:1 fashion, as REmake wasn't to RE. Perhaps Carlos will have an expanded role. Maybe the scenarios for Claire and Leon will be streamlined into single canon scenarios each. New bonus modes, control schemes, small gameplay additions (like defense weapons). So the possibility of a Raccoon City themed REmake combining 2 and 3 is possible to accomplish.

That all said, I would prefer each game to have its own budget and to be fleshed out as much as possible in every aspect. Doing both games into one project could be a detriment to it.

Edit: Same goes with Outbreak. As cool as it would be to have it as the online/bonus component, it would serve better to have it be its own project from a design standpoint.

As different as they are, 2 and 3 are likely not to be remade in a 1:1 fashion, as REmake wasn't to RE. Perhaps Carlos will have an expanded role. Maybe the scenarios for Claire and Leon will be streamlined into single canon scenarios each. New bonus modes, control schemes, small gameplay additions (like defense weapons). So the possibility of a Raccoon City themed REmake combining 2 and 3 is possible to accomplish.

That all said, I would prefer each game to have its own budget and to be fleshed out as much as possible in every aspect. Doing both games into one project could be a detriment to it.

Edit: Same goes with Outbreak. As cool as it would be to have it as the online/bonus component, it would serve better to have it be its own project from a design standpoint.

It's possible, but again...

S

This would alter the pacing of RE3's narrative, though, especially since the RPD is essentially a giant easter egg and very little action happens there. What would really be expanded there, and for what real reason? Why would Jill stay there outside to get supplies, etc. Even expanded slightly you would end up with a Scenario C that have a heavily disproportionate amount of time spent in one place than in A and B.

But you sidestep the fact that 85% of RE3 doesn't really take place in RPD or Raccoon City proper. Even if you were to combine the streets and RPD of 2 and 3 together, you still have the clock tower, the cable car outlet, the hospital, the waste disposal and the park that has no real representation in RE2. You would end up with a Scenario A and B that are similar with different parts, and a Scenario C that is about 15-20% sharing with A/B, which the rest is almost a totally different game in different locations. What's the solution, ultimately, for this part of RE3? Should it be cut down? Should it be incorporated into RE2 in some way even though these places have nothing to do with RE2's narrative? At some point, you're going to end up with a disproportionate amount one way or the other.

You either have to expand RE2 significantly, downsize RE3 significantly, or have the RE3 scenario be so separate than the RE2 one that it basically becomes it's own game. If the only reason to combine them is to have Jill be stuck more in Raccoon City for the sake of tighter canon, it would be a big shame, since RE3 has such a great variety of settings and environments in its narrative that has nothing to do with RE2's.

You either have to expand RE2 significantly, downsize RE3 significantly, or have the RE3 scenario be so separate than the RE2 one that it basically becomes it's own game. If the only reason to combine them is to have Jill be stuck more in Raccoon City for the sake of tighter canon, it would be a big shame, since RE3 has such a great variety of settings and environments in its narrative that has nothing to do with RE2's.

And that's another great point in that the narratives don't really cross over in any way to have them be in the same game.

I wouldn't even know what to add to RE3, other than have Jill start in her apartment rather than the alley. The pacing is a little odd in that part anyway, so it shouldn't harm that aspect.

dlauv

RE2 and 3 have two very different narrative threads and don't share nearly as much as some people would like to believe. It doesn't make sense to combine them without making it severely contrived or very different from the source material.

Besides, REmake 2 is likely to sell at 30 rather than 60 brand new.

Jawmuncher

It really depends on how crazy they're going with RE2. Depending on how the see the placement, they might be treating it as the full on next title (despite being a remake) until RE8

RE2 and 3 have two very different narrative threads and don't share nearly as much as some people would like to believe.

Stop thinking of them as they are now, two seperate products.

REMAKE. REMAKE.. REMAKE. REMAKE. It sunk in yet?

Not the same games. Things can be made different. They can be combined more.

So unimaginative.

So unimaginative.

Yeah. I'm well aware that they don't share many assets, but it'd be nice to see a few shared enemies and systems (their gameplay is 90% the same). I feel like bringing in some of the RE3 decisionmaking elements might be a great way to expand RE2's zapping system, even. Having RE3 interactions with Chief Irons, Marvin Branagh, and the still-living Mayor's daughter would be cool especially if some of them affected how the RE2 chapters play out; likewise, I'd love for choices made in RE2's Scenario A to have much bigger effects on Scenario B beyond just the window shutters and inventory expansion/submachine gun.

Mr_Zombie

So unimaginative.

Yes, it's a remake, remake, remake, remake, remake, remake.

Still it doesn't change the fact that RE2 and RE3 tell two completely different, completely unrelated stories that take place across completely different locations and the only thing that connects them is that they both take place in Raccoon City during the outbreak. And if that's enough for you, then why not throw in Outbreak scenarios too while we're at it? At least Outbreak cast spend more time in RE2 locations than Jill ever did in RE3. Or maybe bring in Ivan and his disco Tyrants that we know were both in Raccoon when Ada was making her escape?

Yes, thing can be made different, can be expanded, I would love to see something new instead of old RE2 with just new fancy graphics. But if I had to choose, I would prefer Capcom to bring some things from RE 1.5 than to try cramming RE3 into RE2.

The RE2 remake should include every game in the series. I think this would satisfy everyone?

actually you guys have won me over and i'll only be satisfied if they remove the ability to play Leon A / Claire B. it should have LESS content
Yes, thing can be made different, can be expanded, I would love to see something new instead of old RE2 with just new fancy graphics. But if I had to choose, I would prefer Capcom to bring some things from RE 1.5 than to try cramming RE3 into RE2.

I'm down for some of the neat RE1.5 enemy behavior (the zombies dropping to a crawl to get past some obstacles was neat) but I don't want Elza "Dixie Kong" Walker anywhere near the game thx.

Vic_Viper

Man the Chris campaign in Resi 6 is so annoying. I'm constantly running out of ammo which makes no scenes when your supposedly a soldier in the middle of an Op. I understand if it's Leon in a setting that's supposed to be suspenseful/scary, but if I'm in the middle of a war ammo should be the last thing to worry about. There's so many cool moments in chapter 2 but I don't get to see them because I'm constantly looking for ammo and healing items.

Getting used to the quick shot and melee combo which helps but still. Other than that this has been really fun.

Edit: also what are some must have skills to buy?

Still it doesn't change the fact that RE2 and RE3 tell two completely different, completely unrelated stories that take place across completely different locations

Again a lack of imagination.

Irons is a part of RE2 story as he is the surviving STARS members also, Jill is a surviving STARS member.

Boom straight away we got directly connected story between the heroes of RE2 and RE3. There is loads that could be done with this one single thing alone, nevermind others. Or get this...new additions to the story, like Lisa Trevor in REmake.

Also the stories of RE2 and 3 are both the same, just tryng to escape the city, being stalked by a large BOW (Nemesis/Tyrant/Birkin).

Jawmuncher

Man the Chris campaign in Resi 6 is so annoying. I'm constantly running out of ammo which makes no scenes when your supposedly a soldier in the middle of an Op. I understand if it's Leon in a setting that's supposed to be suspenseful/scary, but if I'm in the middle of a war ammo should be the last thing to worry about. There's so many cool moments in chapter 2 but I don't get to see them because I'm constantly looking for ammo and healing items.

Getting used to the quick shot and melee combo which helps but still. Other than that this has been really fun.

Edit: also what are some must have skills to buy?

Yeah the game lacks ammo a bit too much since it wants to push you into melee as you have seen. If anything I would suggest the skills that boost melee damage and pick one of your weapons to get more ammo drops for.

Again a lack of imagination.

Irons is a part of RE2 story as he is the surviving STARS members also, Jill is a surviving STARS member.

Boom straight away we got directly connected story between the heroes of RE2 and RE3. There is loads that could be done with this one single thing alone, nevermind others. Or get this...new additions to the story, like Lisa Trevor in REmake.

Also the stories of RE2 and 3 are both the same, just tryng to escape the city, being stalked by a large BOW (Nemesis/Tyrant/Birkin).

This just feels like a lot of reaching imo, just because at the end of it all you have to escape doesn't make their plot points and situations the same.
It's not about a lack of imagination and that despite taking place in the same city it's still totally different games with different motivations.

Many of the important pieces in RE3 doesn't even share locations with 2. Maybe separate campaigns I guess but not interwoven.

I wouldn't mind the ammo mixing in 2 though.

But I would personally like a full on RE3 remake with the decision tree in tact and branching paths.

Mr_Zombie

Boom straight away we got directly connected story between the heroes of RE2 and RE3.

It still doesn't change that RE2 is about experiencing the remaining of RPD siege and discovering Birkin family secrets, while RE3 is about Jill trying to co-operate with remaining UBCS soldiers while being stalked by a BOW send after STARS members. You can throw in whatever characters you like - Irons, Marvin, Kendo, Hunk, Ivan, the whole Outbreak cast and change it around all you want - but the basic story and themes still remain different. And Jill's story is completely unrelated to Leon's and Claire's.

You know what, all RE games stories are the same, since they all come down to surviving the viral/parasite incident while fighting off enemies and killing the last one with a rocket launcher.

It still doesn't change that RE2 is about experiencing the remaining of RPD siege and discovering Birkin family secrets, while RE3 is about Jill trying to co-operate with remaining UBCS soldiers while being stalked by a BOW send after STARS members. You can throw in whatever characters you like - Irons, Marvin, Kendo, Hunk, Ivan, the whole Outbreak cast and change it around all you want - but the basic story and themes still remain different. And Jill's story is completely unrelated to Leon's and Claire's.

You know what, all RE games stories are the same, since they all come down to surviving the viral/parasite incident while fighting off enemies and killing the last one with a rocket launcher.

These are the reasons why I just don't see it.
The Lisa Trevor comparison was weird too cause they actually took the time to make something from scratch feel a part of the original game.

It's not exactly the same as taking already existing storylines and situations and trying to make it into a single campaign with different situations at different times of the day.

Jawmuncher

My expectations (not necessarily what I want) for RE2make

-Will not combine RE2&RE3, but will push more into them being set during the same time that they are. So when for example RE3make comes out, the feeling is even stronger.
-will add new things much like REmake, and I see some of those ideas coming from darkside chronicles.

Now depending on budget
-It they're not going for 60 bucks, it'll be just like remake, classic style and all.
-If they are going for 60 bucks, I expect them to do some sort of hybrid. As well as REmake HD and 0 sold. I don't see capcom putting that much faith in a solely classic style game at full price and retail. I expect a lost in nightmares style scenario, however actually made playable.Since I doubt pretendered comes back. Just because that is more of a pain to work with in the future for porting. So for example the game before it starts will ask "classic" or "modern". While this would be like making two games. I think it could work. In the case of classic you would change properties by either making enemies slower, weaker stronger, less movement, etc. while modern you would enable perhaps more attacks from monsters, maybe lickers jump around more etc. which could then also affect how ammo and the like is dispersed. This way you have the classic crowd fine with the game, and can also bring in a new crowd who is expecting more. however I expect RE4 style melee to be reduced. I think it'll be there in modern mode, but not super exaggerated. Leon won't be suplexinh zombies. But I would expect him to be able to push a crowd to make them fall back and the like.

I firmly stand with the hybrid model though, ever since the game was announced. so long as it is indeed a big budget affair. Which I think is the biggest issue ATM, since no one knows. Since as much as people love classic RE, I just can't see that game appealing to a huge crowd today, since once again due to budget. Capcom could expect RE2make to sell as much as RE7 if not more. It's kinda in a place that FF7R was before confirmation. You can keep the same old game and basically just give it a new coat of paint. Which will appeal to the hardcore and perhaps nostalgia hungry fans. But that's a harder sell if you want more than that and are giving the game a big budget.

Tl;dr - The budget for this game is the biggest factor on what this game will become.

My expectations (not necessarily what I want) for RE2make

-Will not combine RE2&RE3, but will push more into them being set during the same time that they are. So when for example RE3make comes out, the feeling is even stronger.
-will add new things much like REmake, and I see some of those ideas coming from darkside chronicles.

Now depending on budget
-It they're not going for 60 bucks, it'll be just like remake, classic style and all.
-If they are going for 60 bucks, I expect them to do some sort of hybrid. As well as REmake HD and 0 sold. I don't see capcom putting that much faith in a solely classic style game at full price and retail. I expect a lost in nightmares style scenario, however actually made playable.Since I doubt pretendered comes back. Just because that is more of a pain to work with in the future for porting. So for example the game before it starts will ask "classic" or "modern". While this would be like making two games. I think it could work. In the case of classic you would change properties by either making enemies slower, weaker stronger, less movement, etc. while modern you would enable perhaps more attacks from monsters, maybe lickers jump around more etc. which could then also affect how ammo and the like is dispersed. This way you have the classic crowd fine with the game, and can also bring in a new crowd who is expecting more. however I expect RE4 style melee to be reduced. I think it'll be there in modern mode, but not super exaggerated. Leon won't be suplexinh zombies. But I would expect him to be able to push a crowd to make them fall back and the like.

I firmly stand with the hybrid model though, ever since the game was announced. so long as it is indeed a big budget affair. Which I think is the biggest issue ATM, since no one knows. Since as much as people love classic RE, I just can't see that game appealing to a huge crowd today, since once again due to budget. Capcom could expect RE2make to sell as much as RE7 if not more. It's kinda in a place that FF7R was before confirmation. You can keep the same old game and basically just give it a new coat of paint. Which will appeal to the hardcore and perhaps nostalgia hungry fans. But that's a harder sell if you want more than that and are giving the game a big budget.

Tl;dr - The budget for this game is the biggest factor on what this game will become.

This sounds pretty realistic in expectations. I can probably see this happening.

Vic_Viper

There's an option to have infinite ammo when selecting which campaign you want to run on ps4 version atleast. Is there any downside to choosing that option? Like will I miss out on getting an ending or something?

I'd say they should streamline RE2 and pad RE3(use more of 2's locations, give more backstory for Jill/STARS, pad Carlos a bit)

Honestly though RE3 separate I feel would require a huge overhaul, especially if they charge $60.
I really think even if its just a huge cutscene that 3 could use a meaty prologue(like STARS getting back from the mansion, arguing with Irons, Barry leaving, Chris getting setup to go, STARS being shut down.).
3 despite loving it more than 2 really feels the smallest and least effort of the series, almost like a prototype.

Man if they do remake 2&3 they really have no excuse not to consider an Outbreak reboot.

Playing more of RE 5 Mercenaries and I think I actually like RE 5's melee system better than RE 6's. RE 6's is still great fun, don't get me wrong. However, it's the gameplay loop of getting a different move depending on whether you are in front or behind and where you hit them. The hurt/stun animation of RE 5's enemies kick the crap out of the barely noticeable ones of RE 6. I never have to think twice about whether or not an RE 5 enemy is stunned when I move in for a melee, while a headshot in RE 6 still leaves me mistaking it every so often (and some shots elicit no reaction at all). And the amount of power behind each of the attacks and animations is so cathartic. I can't state that enough.

Right now my dream Resident Evil would be to combine the innovation and strong direction of REmake/4 with the cathartic gameplay loop of RE 5 along with the robust countering system of RE 6.

I'm gathering my thoughts and want to finish RE 5 before doing an overall review of RE 4 - 6 and stand alone LTTPs, but I just want to say I am so glad I gave the series another shot after my horrible initial experience with Resident Evil 6 (which I still had fun with once I got through the horrible opening hours).

JayEH

RE6 does have contextual melee finishers as well. 5 does feel to have more weight behind them though since most of the ones in 6 are more about quickly moving on the next opponent.

RE 6 does, but fewer (each character has 8 in RE 5 and only 3 in RE 6). It's true that RE 6 relies heavily on quick flow of combat which is why the counter system is so robust and getting a 150 combo basically necessitates you counter where possible. So I guess they can't really be compared 1:1 because they are really going for two completely different things.

I really think I need some more time away from RE 6. I'm still really sour on my final few hours with it.

God does RE0 have some of the cheapest enemies in the series. First you got those stupid frogs that can one hit kill you that seem to randomly spawn on those bridges. "Hrmm no frogs here........ Oh crap!!!" Then it slowly drags you into mouth as you watch it slowly devour you whole........

Then you got the infected monkeys that have over twice the health of a hunter and can keep you stunlocked indefinitely :/

Jawmuncher

God does RE0 have some of the cheapest enemies in the series. First you got those stupid frogs that can one hit kill you that seem to randomly spawn on those bridges. "Hrmm no frogs here........ Oh crap!!!" Then it slowly drags you into mouth as you watch it slowly devour you whole........

Then you got the infected monkeys that have over twice the health of a hunter and can keep you stunlocked indefinitely :/

The hunters in CVX are far worse imo

Akiller

Jawmuncher REmake 2 got greenlited because of REmake HD succes (in addition to fans demand through years) , so I'd say the game is getting the same treatment REmake got.
It's the best solution , thinking about it from Capcom point of view, i mean:

-It's what the majority of fans expect and want
-it could potentially be something cheaper to make

Every other choices might lead to more expensive dev costs and shistorms from fans
, but Knowing the RE fanbase the latter will happen anyway.

Jawmuncher

Jawmuncher REmake 2 got greenlited because of REmake HD succes (in addition to fans demand through years) , so I'd say the game is getting the same treatment REmake got.
It's the best solution , thinking about it from Capcom point of view, i mean:

-It's what the majority of fans expect and want
-it could potentially be something cheaper to make

Every other choices might lead to more expensive dev costs and shistorms from fans
, but Knowing the RE fanbase the latter will happen anyway.

I think it's gonna depend on where they position it. RE is capcoms biggest IP that appeals in both the west and East. So in a way, I could see them positioning a remake as the next big title before the next numbered title. Rather than just a smaller affair. While capcom has been more cautious this gen (mainly due to phata rhei falling through it seems). I could see them giving the extra nudge to RE2make in terms of budget.

The mainline games still sell well after numerous ports.
So i feel like with RE2make they'll want to craft something that'll be easily ported in the future. So spending more money on something that last longer doesn't seem like a bad idea. Since it'll pay for itself in the long run.

That's not to say a only classic style title can't do that. But we're just gonna have to wait and see. While it is REmakeHD that got it green lighted, with how things have been progressing over there, I think capcom is still wary of doing a classic style game only.

Hopefully they have something to show at PSX. Feels like it would be about time to show us just a little something.

Was that when they took a note from the RE2 lickers and can 1 hit decapitate you at yellow caution?

It's been a long time since I've played Code Veronica and that was on Dreamcast.

I just know in CVX that they can stun lock you even easier than the monkeys in 0.

JayEH

I see them being very safe re2. They'll most likely go 100% classic but it would be smart to do a hybrid system.

I just beat the game a second time today and yes I 100% agree. Died twice to those fucking frogs. I forgot how much bs is in the game. This and CV both are trying their hardest to earn the title of worst RE.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car

I've been killed by the lurkers (frogs) twice over the years... Both on no-save runs

Had similar experiences in REmake with the boulders.

I really shouldn't do no-save runs

Jawmuncher

I see them being very safe re2. They'll most likely go 100% classic but it would be smart to do a hybrid system.

I just beat the game a second time today and yes I 100% agree. Died twice to those fucking frogs. I forgot how much bs is in the game. This and CV both are trying their hardest to earn the title of worst RE.

That's my thing though, I don't think they consider 100% classic safe for what is essentially a new game. The only thing safe is that the part of the fan base that is the loudest won't moan and groan when it's revealed.

JayEH

That's my thing though, I don't think they consider 100% classic safe for what is essentially a new game. The only thing safe is that the part of the fan base that is the loudest won't moan and groan when it's revealed.

Yeah they're in a tough situation. I guess it really does depend on budget like you said because asking mainstream consumers to pay full price for a classic style game is a tough sell. IMO asking for a remake to be exactly the same defeats a purpose of a remake so I want gameplay improvements along with new areas and remixed enemies and puzzles.

Yeah they're in a tough situation. I guess it really does depend on budget like you said because asking mainstream consumers to pay full price for a classic style game is a tough sell. IMO asking for a remake to be exactly the same defeats a purpose of a remake so I want gameplay improvements along with new areas and remixed enemies and puzzles.

Giving the positive reaction to RE7 from people who just want horror, I honestly don't think the classic style is that much of a risk. It's been so long since we've played a REmake kind of game anyway excluding the remasters.

I'm not sure what I want from REmake 2. Part of me just wants the classic style with some changes and another part of me wants RE4 with a toned down melee system.

sup REgaf, so after being a pretty big fan of the modern (post-RE4) RE games, I decided to go back and finally play through all the classic style games and they were amazing! Well, except for Code: Veronica but that's only because I didn't play that one. Here's my rankings

RE2 - perfect
RE4 - perfect but RE2 is better
REmake - also perfect but I like the first two a bit more
RE1 - less perfect, also holy crap the Chris playthrough was harder than I expected
RE3 - fun, but isn't as replayable even with the RNG. also Nemesis becomes less spooky and more annoying the more I played.
RE5 (co-op) - lots of fun with friends
RE6 - combat is great and the story is so batshit crazy I can't help but love it
RE0 - decent. two survivors removes almost all horror, lame bosses (though fits in with the lore!), no inventory boxes + everything taking up two slots is awful.
RE5 (solo) - just... really boring? and even with the AI boost in the rerelease it's still obnoxious.

Now I'm going to finally get the RE7 demo now that it's no longer PS+ only. Also I'm going to finally finish Chris' campaign in RE6 since I've decided that Dark Souls 3 is horribly mediocre and need something else to play.

also Carlos and Billy should come back

So unimaginative.

You keep touting this logic, but you've yet to really address the argument in any meaningful way. Of course, it could be different as a remake. No shit, no one is really disputing that. But you haven't acknowledged the different settings, the different narrative paths, and the different design philosophy the two games have. What about the settings and environments that RE3 has that I mentioned that have nothing to do with RE2, which is most of that game? Or the lab and underground construction site that isn't reused at all in RE3? Which game gets altered the most to fit into the other? Does RE3 get downsized to fit into RE2, or does RE2 get extended? Or do we just alter these stories to naturally intertwine with Jill being inserted directly into Leon and Claire's story, basically rectonning RE3's event to make RE2 a bigger event?

You keep saying, 'use your imagination,' but you've yet to use any yourself to clarify exactly what you're proposing.

I'd say they should streamline RE2 and pad RE3(use more of 2's locations, give more backstory for Jill/STARS, pad Carlos a bit)

Honestly though RE3 separate I feel would require a huge overhaul, especially if they charge $60.
I really think even if its just a huge cutscene that 3 could use a meaty prologue(like STARS getting back from the mansion, arguing with Irons, Barry leaving, Chris getting setup to go, STARS being shut down.).
3 despite loving it more than 2 really feels the smallest and least effort of the series, almost like a prototype.

Man if they do remake 2&3 they really have no excuse not to consider an Outbreak reboot.

Streamline RE2? Did you mean to say RE3 there? RE3 has more environments than 2. I'm also pretty sure RE3 is longer than RE2, as well, or at least just as long.

Jawmuncher

sup REgaf, so after being a pretty big fan of the modern (post-RE4) RE games, I decided to go back and finally play through all the classic style games and they were amazing! Well, except for Code: Veronica but that's only because I didn't play that one. Here's my rankings

RE2 - perfect
RE4 - perfect but RE2 is better
REmake - also perfect but I like the first two a bit more
RE1 - less perfect, also holy crap the Chris playthrough was harder than I expected
RE3 - fun, but isn't as replayable even with the RNG. also Nemesis becomes less spooky and more annoying the more I played.
RE5 (co-op) - lots of fun with friends
RE6 - combat is great and the story is so batshit crazy I can't help but love it
RE0 - decent. two survivors removes almost all horror, lame bosses (though fits in with the lore!), no inventory boxes + everything taking up two slots is awful.
RE5 (solo) - just... really boring? and even with the AI boost in the rerelease it's still obnoxious.

Now I'm going to finally get the RE7 demo now that it's no longer PS+ only. Also I'm going to finally finish Chris' campaign in RE6 since I've decided that Dark Souls 3 is horribly mediocre and need something else to play.

also Carlos and Billy should come back

Im surprised to see RE5 so lowly regarded.

Im surprised to see RE5 so lowly regarded.

I enjoyed it back when I first played it, but going through it again (solo) it's just really boring. The lack of clever encounter design really drags the game down. Co-op it's still great, but I like all the classic-style REs far more.

Honestly I like all of them, though solo RE5 and RE0 are definitely at the bottom.

You keep touting this logic, but you've yet to really address the argument in any meaningful way. Of course, it could be different as a remake. No shit, no one is really disputing that. But you haven't acknowledged the different settings, the different narrative paths, and the different design philosophy the two games have. What about the settings and environments that RE3 has that I mentioned that have nothing to do with RE2, which is most of that game? Or the lab and underground construction site that isn't reused at all in RE3? Which game gets altered the most to fit into the other? Does RE3 get downsized to fit into RE2, or does RE2 get extended? Or do we just alter these stories to naturally intertwine with Jill being inserted directly into Leon and Claire's story, basically rectonning RE3's event to make RE2 a bigger event?

You keep saying, 'use your imagination,' but you've yet to use any yourself to clarify exactly what you're proposing.

Christ dude read my posts, it's all in there.

Top Bottom