• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil Community |OT2| Best Fans Ever!

Okay. I haven't played since I got "stuck" and made my last post, but a thought just occurred to me...

Items are discarded when they no longer have any use.

I think there's a reason I still have that crank that allowed me to empty the water reservoir. There's also that waterfall where, when examined, Jill can see something "beyond it"...

giphy.gif

You're on the right track.

Yes. Yes I am. Courtyard B1!!!

Only problem with doing that bit was me getting all derpy about the lowered elevator and realizing I had to go back to the item box, get the crank again, raise the water again, cross, head down to the waterfall, get on the elevator where I installed the battery and bring it back up, then go back, drain the water...

Fuuuuuck. Lol

Jawmuncher

Dunno why i was expecting more from the views.

Resident Evil 7 biohazard TAPE-2 “The Bakers”
560,473 views 1 week ago

Resident Evil 7 biohazard - "Lantern" Gameplay Trailer
1,582,036 views 1 month ago

Resident Evil 7 biohazard TAPE-1 “Desolation”
2,038,667 views 3 months ago

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
To me, those numbers suggest the effectiveness of "showing stuff without actually showing stuff" is dwindling quite a bit.

Even though that's kind of how I feel, too, I'm surprised at the low views for the Baker tape

JayEH

To me, those numbers suggest the effectiveness of "showing stuff without actually showing stuff" is dwindling quite a bit.

Even though that's kind of how I feel, too, I'm surprised at the low views for the Baker tape

seems to be the case. hopefully they learn for the next reveal. they can't keep getting away with it!

Jawmuncher

I like how with RE6 you can cheese playing the game on Professional. By just doing the last chapter of every chapter. Cut the game length by like 75%

finley83

Banned
I like how with RE6 you can cheese playing the game on Professional. By just doing the last chapter of every chapter. Cut the game length by like 75%

I played the entire Ada campaign that way to unlock an extra Mercs character. Loved Mercs mode in that game, but couldn't stand the story mode.

Jawmuncher

I played the entire Ada campaign that way to unlock an extra Mercs character. Loved Mercs mode in that game, but couldn't stand the story mode.

Yeah, thought it was odd that they didn't just have everything unlocked like they did with RE5 & Mercs united.

I've said before one thing these rereleases need to do is start giving some of this content out the gate.

RE5 - Let me acess DLC chapters whenever I want
RE6 - Let me have carla from the get go and all costumes/characters (Though they're not to hard to obtain.
RE4 - Let me start with professional and play mercs first if I wanna.

RE1-3 doesn't really suffer that problem since for the majority of stuff you just need to beat the game on any difficulty. But I will say, they need to make getting Hunk and Tofu easier.

Jawmuncher

I'm really hoping this Anniversary year goes like the 15th. Where the new stuff was the next year after the anniversary.

The 15th Anniversary we got
  • Mercenaries 3D
  • Resident Evil 4 HD
  • Code Veronica X HD
The very next year we got
  • Resident Evil Revelation
  • Operation Racoon City
  • Umbrella Chronicles/Darkside Chronicles PSN
  • Resident Evil 6.

This 20th Anniversary we got
  • Resident Evil 4
  • Resident Evil 5
  • Resident Evil 6
  • Resident Evil 0
  • Umbrella Corps
So i'm hoping next year goes something like
  • Resident Evil 7
  • Resident Evil Outbreak HD
  • Some new spinoff game (preferrably action based)

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller

560,473 views 1 week ago

One thing about those numbers is placement of timing/marketing, and different channel uploads. Resident Evil 7's TGS trailer for instance was viewed more than any other TGS trailer, even more than the likes of Final Fantasy XV's TGS 2016 trailer, who's biggest uploaded version only has 266,213 views.

And that's the view span in a week compared to several months. But RE7's TGS trailer was actually the most successful trailer out of TGS 2016 if you combine all the different uploaded versions, which is another way of looking at it. It literally has twice the views of other stuff too like Dark Souls 3's DLC trailer, and matched Metal Gear's new zombie gameplay views, it was only beaten by Kingdom Hearts new trailer. BUT the most viewed TGS 2016 video is actually a RE7 video, which even beats out the Kingdom Hearts trailer and its uploads.

In fact, this is the most viewed TGS 2016 video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aq9mtRitnS8

Jawmuncher

I always find it interesting how attached people are to the older style of Resident Evil. I mean I understand to a point, preferring action myself. But to such an extent that the series is dead unless it's that style is odd to me. I can't say there's any series with this problem, at least not that's a big IP it seems. Like, the character's and universe didn't do anything for you? It was just the gameplay?

I do think I lucked out that as a kid Dino Crisis 1 and Dino Crisis 2 were radically different. Basically prepped me early for Resident Evil and it's shifts.

JayEH

I really don't care what style the game is, I just care if it's fun and I find both styles fun. I don't try to judge games solely based on a certain series name attached since I'll always prioritize fun over anything else. So even if past re4 "it's not re" I don't care because I'm still having a good time with the games. Part of the reason though I do like all the games is that they all have a link to each other and the characters are a part of that.

Does anyone really think Resident Evil Outbreak will ever see a rerelease? Wasn't it a flop?

The first game sold well, the second bombed.

The fact that the games were online makes bringing them back trickier, so who knows if we'll see them again. I really hope we do. Preferably with voice chat this time.

The first game sold well, the second bombed.

The fact that the games were online makes bringing them back trickier, so who knows if we'll see them again. I really hope we do. Preferably with voice chat this time.

Totally agree. I remember getting the first one on PS2 but the lack of voice chat, coupled with my complete inexperience with the series up to that point made for a very poor experience.

Now that I'm almost through my first run of REmake, and having come to understand the appeal of the classic style gameplay, I'd love a chance to revisit Outbreak.

I remember really digging this cover art at the time, as well.
Re_outbreak_a.jpg

Although now that I'm looking at it for the first time in ages, I realize they used the shitty movie title font.

Although now that I'm looking at it for the first time in ages, I realize they used the shitty movie title font.

I like the sequel's boxart even more, it's probably my favorite RE boxart, even with the shitty font. It's really dramatic and well-designed. The image instantly tells you everything the game is about - teamwork above all, zombies, combat which isn't too frequent and won't always save you as seen by poor guy holding the gun, and of course the urban setting.

Resident_Evil_Outbreak_File_2.jpg

I had a classmate in high school that insisted the Outbreak games were based on the live-action movies. Based on that font, I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

I like the sequel's boxart even more, it's probably my favorite RE boxart, even with the shitty font.

Resident_Evil_Outbreak_File_2.jpg

I had a classmate in high school that insisted the Outbreak games were based on the live-action movies. Based on that font, I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

Yeah like that one as well.

I just watched some gameplay from Outbreak on YouTube...the graphics in that game hold up amazingly well for being a PS2 game. The game is definitely not a lost cause for being remastered in HD. Probably wouldn't look bad even when compared to something like RE4.

Which of the two Outbreaks was better?

Shit, now I want this. Lol

Futaba

I think i may own at least 80% of all RE titles so far, always loved the series but i recal vividly that playing RE:DC on the ps1 when I was young would make me feel shakey ans sick after 10 minutes of play, no other game did that to me until silent hill, the internet has jaded me far beyond that since and ive never really experienced it since.

One of my fondest RE related memories was playing an import copy of re2's 4th survivor mode and being in awe of it all.

Definitely one of my favorite franchises

BBboy20

You know, it's rather funny about Capcom's recent financial report yet like...they've done this before yet they may not try again?

I mean maybe make File #3 on PC? But then again, those macrotransactions...

gelf

I always find it interesting how attached people are to the older style of Resident Evil. I mean I understand to a point, preferring action myself. But to such an extent that the series is dead unless it's that style is odd to me. I can't say there's any series with this problem, at least not that's a big IP it seems. Like, the character's and universe didn't do anything for you? It was just the gameplay?

I do think I lucked out that as a kid Dino Crisis 1 and Dino Crisis 2 were radically different. Basically prepped me early for Resident Evil and it's shifts.

I used to be somewhat attached to the universe but my issue in any long running series is it only takes a single poor entry to kill my interest in the lore and then it's not coming back because I can't just forget that part of the story existed. For me that game was RE0 which really pissed me off as an origin story. Following that RE4 just throwing away what the series appeared to be building towards (a final showdown with Umbrella) meant I only look to the series gameplay to bring me in now and I prefer the old stuff.

Finished the RE5 PS4 Remaster yesterday. Having only played the PS3 version before this is a huge improvement. The game feels much better to play with a smooth framerate and at some points I forgot that I was playing a last-gen remaster, the visuals still look great.

Gameplaywise I think I've come around to liking this a bit more than I previously did, but I still feel like a lot of the encounters are somewhat poorly balanced and even a lot of early stages are designed around already carrying your upgraded late-game weapons with you. Your first playthrough is just never such a smooth and well-paced experience as it is in RE4.

RE6 has a similiar issue.

I guess it is kinda hard to balance the game, when you throw co-op into the mix where you can end up with players who have everything maxed out already.

I always felt that RE4 was a natural evolution of the series. RE2 and 3 were pretty much action games with some light puzzles and inventory management thrown in. Even the first game's Director's Cut added Arranged Mode, a harder difficulty that dialed the enemy count up to eleven and introduced faster zombies. You had to be a bit more conservative with your ressources early on, but they did give your regular handgun a critical headshot ability and gave you the magnum very early in the game to go crazy once you found enough ressources.

RE4 got rid of backtracking, but the puzzles are pretty much the same "Put emblem into emblem-shaped hole" nonsense. I maintain that the "puzzles" in classic RE were really just an excuse to get a lot of playtime out of a fairly small map and nothing to get your brain working. Though it was fun and satisfying to try to sreamline your run through the game on repeat playthroughs.

Ammo was never that scarce in the old games, including the very first one, except maybe during the first hour or so. But then, in modern RE, especially RE5, the amount of weapons and overall ammo that you can carry with you is pretty limited as well, for as much as the game throws at you and you can easily run out of ammo if you don't make use of your melee attacks. I've read a lot of complaints about people running out of ammo in Chris' RE6 campaign, because they didn't punch their enemies enough.

I'm really hoping this Anniversary year goes like the 15th. Where the new stuff was the next year after the anniversary.

The 15th Anniversary we got
  • Mercenaries 3D
  • Resident Evil 4 HD
  • Code Veronica X HD
The very next year we got
  • Resident Evil Revelation
  • Operation Racoon City
  • Umbrella Chronicles/Darkside Chronicles PSN
  • Resident Evil 6.

This 20th Anniversary we got
  • Resident Evil 4
  • Resident Evil 5
  • Resident Evil 6
  • Resident Evil 0
  • Umbrella Corps
So i'm hoping next year goes something like
  • Resident Evil 7
  • Resident Evil Outbreak HD
  • Some new spinoff game (preferrably action based)

Britney Spears - Gimme More.mp3

560,473 views 1 week ago

Im a huge Resident Evil fan but I haven't watched the Lantern gameplay yet,

I mean what are they going to show that could actually get me excited
typical Resident Evil cutscenes? nope.
Chris, Jill or Rebecca? nope.

Seemingly shallow gameplay is what they have going for them and I've seen enough especially with playing the stupid demo(for days trying to figure the finger out)
that I honestly to need to see more until release when I buy it solely for the Resident Evil name.

AdaWong

Alyssa Ashcroft was such a good written character; as in, her ad-libs were hilarious in the way that they capture the stereotypical "bitchy journalist" and the funny side of her at the same time. I love her so much.

Jawmuncher

RIP Barry, forgot I had to wait for his ass to bring me a rope. But with that, Deadly Silence Rebirth mode is beaten. Was a interesting mode, but overall I wouldn't recommend it over the regular style. The changes aren't really that big of a deal, and the knife fights are just really lame.

Gradon

An Outbreak collection for PS4 with Online is everything I ever need.
I've been replaying Outbreak online with the fan servers recently and its incredible to be able to relive my memories of online with this game. The game was ahead of its time imo.
It would be an instant-buy for me.

I also seriously enjoy the replayability and collectathon collection mode.

kamineko

Don't sweat it too much. Everybody's first playthrough is a hot mess. & of course remember that you are still well on your way to beating the game.

After you beat it go to gamefaqs and read about the endings before your second run :)

Man for how much I played of it(Platinumed and days on Mercenaries) in addition to being my 2nd favorite of the series
I can't believe how bad and awkward I feel trying to replay RE5.

I don't have problems with any of the older games(besides RE4 which I haven't replayed since the lead up to RE5)
I literally feel like back when I used to try getting my parents to try a game and it always seemed like they had absolutely no coordination.

Jawmuncher

So I have some questions about REmake myself, since i'm doing a playthrough. I remember most but just need a few answer.

You need 3 emblems and something else for the magnum in the graveyard right?
The sword key stays in your inventory until you get back from garden area right? I swear i've been to every door and yet I still don't have the "Discard the Key" prompt yet.

Right now it seems the majority of my questions will be answered once I get the final key. But I just wanted to make sure. I'm basically free to grab whatever so long as I don't go down the stairs under the main stars in the main hall correct?

kamineko

So I have some questions about REmake myself, since i'm doing a playthrough. I remember most but just need a few answer.

You need 3 emblems and something else for the magnum in the graveyard right?

*****The wind crest, I think*****

The sword key stays in your inventory until you get back from garden area right? I swear i've been to every door and yet I still don't have the "Discard the Key" prompt yet.

*****Did you unlock the kitchen door at the bottom of the stairs? That's what I usually forget*****

Right now it seems the majority of my questions will be answered once I get the final key. But I just wanted to make sure. I'm basically free to grab whatever so long as I don't go down the stairs under the main stars in the main hall correct?

That door isn't a PNR, so far as I remember. I think you can backtrack freely until the last scene with Wesker

Jawmuncher

That door isn't a PNR, so far as I remember. I think you can backtrack freely until the last scene with Wesker

Ok it's definitely the kitchen door haven't been down there yet. Also yeah now I remember the magnum now that you mention it. Looks like I'm back on track. Thanks.

Totally agree. I remember getting the first one on PS2 but the lack of voice chat, coupled with my complete inexperience with the series up to that point made for a very poor experience.

Now that I'm almost through my first run of REmake, and having come to understand the appeal of the classic style gameplay, I'd love a chance to revisit Outbreak.

I remember really digging this cover art at the time, as well.
Re_outbreak_a.jpg

The movies and games have changed, but Milla Jovovich remains the same :p

I want whatever Umbrella skin creme she uses!!! The Fifth Element was twenty years ago.

Jawmuncher

Still think it's funny how the game series and movies have taken from one another. Laser stuff being one of the biggest examples.

Manu

So, the anniversary date of Raccoon City's destruction is upon us, which means that everyone is reminiscing about RE3 in social media, which in turn means that every conversation turns into "RE died on RE3," "RE4 sucked," "RE4 was a good game but a bad RE," the usual shit. I can't believe some people have been repeating the same things over and over for over a decade and still do it at every chance they get.

Being a Resident Evil fan suuuuucks.

EDIT: Also lol, top of page.

EDIT2: I'm surprised we don't have a ResiGAF avatar decoration or something yet! We should pimp our avatars with RE.

Top Bottom