• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil Community |OT2| Best Fans Ever!

You keep touting this logic, but you've yet to really address the argument in any meaningful way. Of course, it could be different as a remake. No shit, no one is really disputing that. But you haven't acknowledged the different settings, the different narrative paths, and the different design philosophy the two games have. What about the settings and environments that RE3 has that I mentioned that have nothing to do with RE2, which is most of that game? Or the lab and underground construction site that isn't reused at all in RE3? Which game gets altered the most to fit into the other? Does RE3 get downsized to fit into RE2, or does RE2 get extended? Or do we just alter these stories to naturally intertwine with Jill being inserted directly into Leon and Claire's story, basically rectonning RE3's event to make RE2 a bigger event?

You keep saying, 'use your imagination,' but you've yet to use any yourself to clarify exactly what you're proposing.

Streamline RE2? Did you mean to say RE3 there? RE3 has more environments than 2. I'm also pretty sure RE3 is longer than RE2, as well, or at least just as long.
Its been a while since I played RE2 but I beat RE3 again a year or two ago and it feels far shorter than I remember RE2 being.

Jawmuncher

Its been a while since I played RE2 but I beat RE3 again a year or two ago and it feels far shorter than I remember RE2 being.

In terms of Classic RE, RE3 to me is the most straight-forward of the bunch. So that probably plays a part in it's length. You can really see the beginnings of RE4 in it.

Christ dude read my posts, it's all in there.

I have read your posts, and no...it's not at all. All you do is say use your imagination, talk about a Irons/Jill conversation, and "new additions" to the story. You've yet to go into any real detail, just vague ways that they could be 'connected.' You've yet to acknowledge the different settings that are not shared between the two, which one gets extended, which one gets streamlined, and how one would go about doing that.

Well, when you combine Claire and Leon's campaign, it's longer, but since basically 90% of their campaign is shared, it's not quite the same as being actually longer. I may be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure RE3 is at least on par overall with the previous two games. It's much more linear, though, with less backpacking overall, so depending on how quickly you navigate the backtracking RE1 and 2, they could seem a lot longer.

I have read your posts, and no...it's not at all.

No you haven't, please stop replying to me until you do because you're just spouting BS at this point.

Edit: I stand corrected, you actually replied to one in which I did, so you're just losing your mind/memory or something by claiming I haven't.

Seyavesh

i actually wouldn't mind a combined game and in fact, like re3 significantly more than re2 (i think re2's just okay and would like to see how they'd combine the two)

it's not your beliefs or your statements, it's the attitude you take- it's childlish.
you need to understand that a discussion is not an argument or a debate. it's a conversation.
mudslinging doesn't strengthen your position or the legitimacy of your beliefs. you can express passion in other ways besides lashing out when challenged.

No you haven't, please stop replying to me until you do because you're just spouting BS at this point.

Edit: I stand corrected, you actually replied to one in which I did, so you're just losing your mind/memory or something by claiming I haven't.

I think you might be losing your own mind or memory. You have not once, in any of the posts on the subject, even acknowledged the other environments that the two don't share or how they would be incorporated into the other. It's entirely unclear how you would handle that disconnect between the two games. Again, does one get streamlined, does one get extended, or are we talking about just reworking the two games into an entirely different game where they intersect naturally?

The only thing you've addressed is the easy part: combining the streets and RPD into one game. But even then you haven't really expanded on what you would do to keep Jill in the RPD since that area is basically just a giant supply house in RE3 as opposed to the central hub area in RE2. Maybe you have addressed this in the past, but as far as the discussing ongoing here, neither you or anyone else really seems to have an concrete ideas on how to combine the two. Which is why I made the comment that it seems a lot in here are only remembering the street and RPD sections of RE3, and not the clock tower, hospital, cable car section, park and waste management sections that have no correspondence to anything in RE2. But hell, even with RE2, we have a construction site and lab that has no presence in RE3 either, so maybe a lot of people have just forgotten the parts of these games that aren't the RPD or the street leading up to them.

I'm not saying that these two games can't be combined, per say, but I don't think it would be as effortless as many seem to think it would be, at the very least. Despite what a lot seem to think, RE3 is a full game with its distinct settings and environments and narrative. Just folding all of that into RE2 would take a lot of compromise and/or re-imagining of one or both games.

I think you might be losing your own mind or memory. You have not once, in any of the posts on the subject, even acknowledged the other environments that the two don't share or how they would be incorporated into the other.

Jesus dude, stay wrong.

I posted examples there of how can combine the games better including new environments they can both share.

You even replied to it.

This is plausible.

Do you remember?

it's not your beliefs or your statements, it's the attitude you take- it's childlish.

Oh yes, not settling for bullshit is definitely childish.

Oh no wait, that is the correct reaction to bullshit.

Jesus dude, stay wrong.

I posted examples there of how can combine the games better including new environments they can both share.

You even replied to it.

Do you remember?

Bruh...within the very post you just quoted.

Lord Frieza said:
The only thing you've addressed is the easy part: combining the RPD and the streets into one game.

You have totally side stepped talking about the other parts the games don't share that I have listed in response to you twice and you're still side stepping it. That part of my post is clearly talking about those, not the shared parts (though you still side step how you would alter the Jill side since the RPD shares a fundamentally different puropse in 3 than 2.

You can't even give a straight answer to whether we're talking about an expansion of 2, a downsizing of 3, or a total overhaul of both.

And now you're on some tirade about how "butthurt" fans are out to get you because you're shitting on 2. The fuck are you even talking about lol. This conversation has nothing to do with the quality of either game.

Jawmuncher

3 could actually be expanded; really able to feel like you're traveling through most of Raccoon.

Yeah, I do think both remakes will push that angle even more.

I'm not even opposed to them combining the games. But I do think it's not likely. Only for the reason that capcom won't be able to make as much money porting one game over two in the future

strafer

tumblr_odr9o8xHLa1rxf00ao1_1280.jpg

:D

Capcom changes the faces and looks of the characters in this series all the time so I don't see how that confirms it? Not that I think it IS actually Wesker, but it's obvious they consciously made a character that looks a whole lot like him (either that, or they're uncreative hacks who can't come up with a much different villain design). My first thought when I saw him was "Wesker clone."

Jawmuncher

Capcom changes the faces and looks of the characters in this series all the time so I don't see how that confirms it? Not that I think it IS actually Wesker, but it's obvious they consciously made a character that looks a whole lot like him (either that, or they're uncreative hacks who can't come up with a much different villain design). My first thought when I saw him was "Wesker clone."

They flat out said it isn't wesker. But there's obviously gonna be a connection to him I bet.
Especially with chris in this film.

They flat out said it isn't wesker. But there's obviously gonna be a connection to him I bet.
Especially with chris in this film.

Ah, I missed where they said that.

And yeah, the movie title even implies it. I just googled the definition of the word "vendetta" and this came up:

(n) a blood feud in which the family of a murdered person seeks vengeance on the murderer or the murderer's family.

Maybe Jake wasn't the only illegitimate child Wesker had.

Jawmuncher

Ah, I missed where they said that.

And yeah, the movie title even implies it. I just googled the definition of the word "vendetta" and this came up:

(n) a blood feud in which the family of a murdered person seeks vengeance on the murderer or the murderer's family.

Maybe Jake wasn't the only illegitimate child Wesker had.

Wouldn't even be a surprise.

BBboy20

Yeah, I do think both remakes will push that angle even more.

I'm not even opposed to them combining the games. But I do think it's not likely. Only for the reason that capcom won't be able to make as much money porting one game over two in the future
Though, I suppose you can also look at them in an attempt to make 3 as great as 1 and 2 then some semi-weird step-child that is treated as main family which plenty of the fanbase seem to perceive the game as.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I am leaning towards it being the strange Wesker references in Umbrella Corps implying someone who may or may not be Wesker is working for a company.

I don't think it's -actually- Wesker, but something related to him.

Jawmuncher

I am leaning towards it being the strange Wesker references in Umbrella Corps implying someone who may or may not be Wesker is working for a company.

I don't think it's -actually- Wesker, but something related to him.

We got a clone. Would be interesting if they went with the "imposter" super-fan kind of angle. Someone who idolizes weaker so much, he basically tries to be him

Honestly, when I think of RE2 and RE3 being combined into a single huge game I don't think of reducing the scope of either game at all so much as I think of adding some subplots (basically, crossing some NPCs over between games and making each 'chapter' of the game have some consequences for the next one), tying them somewhat closer together in terms of mechanics (like how RE3 gave you different cutscenes and enemy configurations depending on the order in which you completed certain objectives or whether you optionally backtracked to certain areas, etc. - adding a little bit of that to RE2 would be nice while leaving the existing order of things fully intact). I also think of the opportunities to vastly expand and improve The 4th Survivor and The Mercenaries. *shrug*

RE4 had an astonishing amount of content and I'd love to see a game that jam-packed with things to do come out again.

Dusk Golem

Honestly, when I think of RE2 and RE3 being combined into a single huge game I don't think of reducing the scope of either game at all so much as I think of adding some subplots (basically, crossing some NPCs over between games and making each 'chapter' of the game have some consequences for the next one), tying them somewhat closer together in terms of mechanics (like how RE3 gave you different cutscenes and enemy configurations depending on the order in which you completed certain objectives or whether you optionally backtracked to certain areas, etc. - adding a little bit of that to RE2 would be nice while leaving the existing order of things fully intact). I also think of the opportunities to vastly expand and improve The 4th Survivor and The Mercenaries. *shrug*

RE4 had an astonishing amount of content and I'd love to see a game that jam-packed with things to do come out again.

The problem is that then you have to market an old game as a new game, and if you combine RE2 with RE3, what does it become? Is it still Resident Evil 2 Remake? Then what happens to RE3?

I know people keep asking for it, but I think it's mainly from people who remember RE2 more than RE3. One of the core reasons I would not want them combined is simply because in actuality their mechanics are VERY different. RE2 doesn't have RE3's dodge abilities, ammo construction kit system, randomization enemy & item placement system, choice system, and RE3 is missing several of RE2's system, including its sneaking ability, the Zapping system, and more. And I don't think those systems should be in RE2 either, or RE2's systems in RE3.

Add on-top of this that RE2 and RE3 literally only share 9 rooms, and those rooms actually aren't exactly the same as they were in RE2, and the only enemy the two of them share is zombies (and the zombies are different even in that case and even behave differently).

I just feel that combining RE2 & RE3 is interesting in theory, But I think fans of RE3 wouldn't be too happy to have it combined with RE2, on-top of the fact that making modern-day versions of games doesn't come cheap, and both games have plenty of room to expand in their own context without needing to be attached to the other. RE2 and RE3 both have some pretty small locations that could easily be expanded, and concepts that are wholly their own that could be expanded.

Add onto that it'd be a marketing nightmare, and would greatly increase the cost of the project to not only remake RE2 and RE3 in one game, but then also greatly expand both RE2 and RE3. It also would greatly delay such a project ever coming out, we'll probably not see REmake 2 release for at least another year, if not two. If they combined them together, it'd be 3-4 years out, if not more. Game development does not come cheap nor easy. Plus I always thought one of the purposes for these remakes was to make a modern system version of RE2 and RE3 for the market, since literally every other RE game (outside of Code Veronica) has been made available on every current platform, and now have versions that'll be easily able to be ported to future platforms. So why would they sell RE2 and RE3 together when every other entry is a separate entry? And if anything, putting them together would not only raise costs, but diminish returns. REmake 2 doesn't need RE3 attached to sell well, and REmake 3 doesn't need RE2 to sell well. They both can sell perfectly fine by themselves, and if anything combining them would turn up less of a profit for Capcom.

Jawmuncher

Though, I suppose you can also look at them in an attempt to make 3 as great as 1 and 2 then some semi-weird step-child that is treated as main family which plenty of the fanbase seem to perceive the game as.

Always makes me sad how many people don't like RE3

How many Weskers are left after Alex and Albert?

As many Alvins and Andreas as they can come up with?

Well they basically screwed over two of them, and Jake is now MIA. So who knows what's next.

Dusk Golem

How many Weskers are left after Alex and Albert?

As many Alvins and Andreas as they can come up with?

In theory, none since Alex and Albert were the last ones.

But we're talking about a series who brings incredibly left-field story points late into the game all the time, so whatever they can make work well enough in the series canon they want to make I suppose. Given I do honestly hope they stop the "Villain of the week" approach we've had so far and establish a more firm overarching threat soon (who knows, maybe RE7 will do this. Alex Wesker is also obviously set-up for the future, but she's not currently an 'over-arching threat' for the series quite yet.).

The problem is that then you have to market an old game as a new game, and if you combine RE2 with RE3, what does it become? Is it still Resident Evil 2 Remake? Then what happens to RE3?

I know people keep asking for it, but I think it's mainly from people who remember RE2 more than RE3. One of the core reasons I would not want them combined is simply because in actuality their mechanics are VERY different. RE2 doesn't have RE3's dodge abilities, ammo construction kit system, randomization enemy & item placement system, choice system, and RE3 is missing several of RE2's system, including its sneaking ability, the Zapping system, and more. And I don't think those systems should be in RE2 either, or RE2's systems in RE3.

Add on-top of this that RE2 and RE3 literally only share 9 rooms, and those rooms actually aren't exactly the same as they were in RE2, and the only enemy the two of them share is zombies (and the zombies are different even in that case and even behave differently).

I just feel that combining RE2 & RE3 is interesting in theory, But I think fans of RE3 wouldn't be too happy to have it combined with RE2, on-top of the fact that making modern-day versions of games doesn't come cheap, and both games have plenty of room to expand in their own context without needing to be attached to the other. RE2 and RE3 both have some pretty small locations that could easily be expanded, and concepts that are wholly their own that could be expanded.

Add onto that it'd be a marketing nightmare, and would greatly increase the cost of the project to not only remake RE2 and RE3 in one game, but then also greatly expand both RE2 and RE3. It also would greatly delay such a project ever coming out, we'll probably not see REmake 2 release for at least another year, if not two. If they combined them together, it'd be 3-4 years out, if not more. Game development does not come cheap nor easy. Plus I always thought one of the purposes for these remakes was to make a modern system version of RE2 and RE3 for the market, since literally every other RE game (outside of Code Veronica) has been made available on every current platform, and now have versions that'll be easily able to be ported to future platforms. So why would they sell RE2 and RE3 together when every other entry is a separate entry? And if anything, putting them together would not only raise costs, but diminish returns. REmake 2 doesn't need RE3 attached to sell well, and REmake 3 doesn't need RE2 to sell well. They both can sell perfectly fine by themselves, and if anything combining them would turn up less of a profit for Capcom.

True enough (though RE3 doesn't have anything randomized - enemy and item placement varies depending on the choices you make throughout the campaign but is actually 100% consistent every time if you make the same choices)

Dusk Golem

True enough (though RE3 doesn't have anything randomized - enemy and item placement varies depending on the choices you make throughout the campaign but is actually 100% consistent every time if you make the same choices)

This isn't true, I know this since I died at a few parts playing on hard my first playthrough, I always made the same choices, but certain rooms item and enemy placement would be random even on the same save file making the same choices I ran through them. I died a few times at the part with the TV puzzle, escaping the zombies, and Nemesis afterward, and died a few times at the hospital with Carlos, which is where I remember it particularly clearly (and I have this run recorded, deaths and all, recorded anyway). Though maybe they randomize it back up or go for a different set upon death to keep it a surprise/make replaying the segments different? That might be possible.

Aaarrrggh!

Help (again) reGAF!

I swear I must be dumb or something. REmake is really good at making me want to tear my hair out sometimes.

Again, this is probably one of the best games I've played in recent months, but FAHCK! Shit can get frustrating at times.

I've been running around in circles, revisiting every damn place 3 or 4 times. I finally stumbled onto the final bit with the snake where you actually kill it(I think). I now have both the Wolf and Eagle medals, but have absolutely no fucking clue where I'm to use either of them (or maybe I'm just not seeing it).

I also have the "metal object" and "stone and metal object", otherwise known as Umbrella's Calling Cards, which obviously are required for unlocking the door under the main stairwell in the lobby/main hall...but Stone & Metal is the only one that fits so I'm pretty baffled there.

I'm running around to every single room making sure every item is picked clean and that no door is unlocked...and I'm just not seeing anything. What the fuck am I missing?

I also have that MO disc which I read is one of three needed to get a "good" ending?

Shit, this game is mystery after mystery, clue after clue, item after item.

I don't want to be completely spoiled (I wouldn't have come here if I did), so I need a gentle nudge in the right direction, like the last time.

Very glad I'm doing my first play through on Easy.

Bruh...within the very post you just quoted.

You have totally side stepped talking about the other parts the games don't share that I have listed in response to you twice and you're still side stepping it. That part of my post is clearly talking about those, not the shared parts (though you still side step how you would alter the Jill side since the RPD shares a fundamentally different puropse in 3 than 2.

You can't even give a straight answer to whether we're talking about an expansion of 2, a downsizing of 3, or a total overhaul of both.

And now you're on some tirade about how "butthurt" fans are out to get you because you're shitting on 2. The fuck are you even talking about lol. This conversation has nothing to do with the quality of either game.

You're creating a strawman position for my argument and claiming I didn't answer it, well no shit, I didn't make that strawman.

They are two stories taking place at the same time and can share many environments and have many crossing over gameplay and story elements. That doesn't mean every area from RE2 needs be used for RE3 or every RE3 area used for RE2.

Just like RE6 reused some areas across multiple campaigns, but each campaign had their own areas too.

Sorry but I've answered everything from my actual argument and will not be chasing strawmen.

Aaarrrggh!

Help (again) reGAF!

I swear I must be dumb or something. REmake is really good at making me want to tear my hair out sometimes.

Again, this is probably one of the best games I've played in recent months, but FAHCK! Shit can get frustrating at times.

I've been running around in circles, revisiting every damn place 3 or 4 times. I finally stumbled onto the final bit with the snake where you actually kill it(I think). I now have both the Wolf and Eagle medals, but have absolutely no fucking clue where I'm to use either of them (or maybe I'm just not seeing it).

I also have the "metal object" and "stone and metal object", otherwise known as Umbrella's Calling Cards, which obviously are required for unlocking the door under the main stairwell in the lobby/main hall...but Stone & Metal is the only one that fits so I'm pretty baffled there.

I'm running around to every single room making sure every item is picked clean and that no door is unlocked...and I'm just not seeing anything. What the fuck am I missing?

I also have that MO disc which I read is one of three needed to get a "good" ending?

Shit, this game is mystery after mystery, clue after clue, item after item.

I don't want to be completely spoiled (I wouldn't have come here if I did), so I need a gentle nudge in the right direction, like the last time.

Very glad I'm doing my first play through on Easy.

You said you don't want it spoiled so...if you really have searched every room then you need start examining the items you've picked up from that search.

Also, from the sounds of it you're not going to get the best ending. I will say no more.

Marow

Heya again everyone! I bet you barely remember me since I think I only made one or two posts in here, but I was the guy who absolutely had a blast with Revelations HD some month ago!

So why am I back?

Because I loved Revolutions 2!

I played through it this week and really enjoyed my time with it. At first I was a bit skeptic since the game feels a lot heavier than other titles in terms of controls, not to mention the more gritty and more "realistic" atmosphere/story/stuff. After a while I got used to it and, well, came to love it.

The gameplay feels more of what I want of a RE game, with a slower pacing and less frequent enemy encounters (with some exceptions to raise tension). I even had to take care not wasting ammo! The dodge button is nice (and much better than Rev 1) and the addition of stealth/crouching feels... actually quite nice? The dynamic between Claire and Moira also reminds me of what little I've seen of RE7 oddly enough, so I wonder if the franchise will continue this slightly more serious approach.

In terms of actual gameplay it only got better as it went on and even the bosses fun. There are some puzzles too which is nice. I'm not sure which pair I enjoyed the most as they play differently, with Claire/Moira being more survival horror whereas Barry/Natalia is more a mix of action/stealth.

Lastly, I just want to say I really enjoy this sub-series. I actually find the stories engaging (is this thanks to Dai Sato?) and quite cleverly presented, with the episodic format allowing for a nice pace. Starting to wonder if we don't need more "TV episodic" video games!

So do I prefer Rev 1 or 2? It's a hard question! 2 is obviously more refined and lacks the jankiness 1 had due to being a handheld game. That said, the boat setting and open layout of 1 just hits home with me. Wish it got a remake with 2's gameplay improvements. I guess I could call it a tie? I'd love to play 2 co-op one day, at least.

I guess I just wanted to spread something positive about the game. I ended up looking for impressions online afterwards only to see some quite negative opinions, particularly on LTTP threads here on GAF. It being "low budget", "bad gameplay" and so forth. And I can't understand a single thing ^^'

You're creating a strawman position for my argument and claiming I didn't answer it, well no shit, I didn't make that strawman.

Lol, what does this even mean? How is anything I said been a strawman

They are two stories taking place at the same time and can share many environments and have many crossing over gameplay and story elements. That doesn't mean every area from RE2 needs be used for RE3 or every RE3 area used for RE2.

They share two environments (and as Dusk Golem pointed out, only 9 actual rooms between the two games) with both environments serving very different purposes from one game to another, and only story elements shared are the fact that they involve someone getting out of Raccoon City. What about the other environments, what do you do with them? How do you combine them? Does RE2 get expanded, does RE3 get downsized, or are we talking about remaking the two into a single game very different from either of the originals? The fact that you can't answer that basic question tells you aren't really putting a lot of "imagination" into this. Have you played both RE2 and 3? How long has it been? I suggest maybe a revisit is in order, because they aren't nearly as similar as you think. That's advice I think several people posting about the theoretically combined 2/3 remake could benefit from, because most people seem to only remember the RPD from both games. Dusk Golem did a better job of breaking it down than I have

Just like RE6 reused some areas across multiple campaigns, but each campaign had their own areas too.

The main difference is that Jill's campaign only shares about 10-15% from Leon and Claire's, where as Leon and Claire's are about 90% shared. So, what are you proposing here then? Do we make each of the three campaigns more radically different, and have Scenario A, B and C all essentially being different games? Or more cutting the majority of Jill's down to fit with Leon and Claire's, basically making the remake RE3 more in line with the Umbrella Chronicles where the narrative has been cut down to just the RPD?

Jawmuncher

Heya again everyone! I bet you barely remember me since I think I only made one or two posts in here, but I was the guy who absolutely had a blast with Revelations HD some month ago!

So why am I back?

I played through it this week and really enjoyed my time with it. At first I was a bit skeptic since the game feels a lot heavier than other titles in terms of controls, not to mention the more gritty and more "realistic" atmosphere/story/stuff. After a while I got used to it and, well, came to love it.

The gameplay feels more of what I want of a RE game, with a slower pacing and less frequent enemy encounters (with some exceptions to raise tension). I even had to take care not wasting ammo! The dodge button is nice (and much better than Rev 1) and the addition of stealth/crouching feels... actually quite nice? The dynamic between Claire and Moira also reminds me of what little I've seen of RE7 oddly enough, so I wonder if the franchise will continue this slightly more serious approach.

In terms of actual gameplay it only got better as it went on and even the bosses fun. There are some puzzles too which is nice. I'm not sure which pair I enjoyed the most as they play differently, with Claire/Moira being more survival horror whereas Barry/Natalia is more a mix of action/stealth.

Lastly, I just want to say I really enjoy this sub-series. I actually find the stories engaging (is this thanks to Dai Sato?) and quite cleverly presented, with the episodic format allowing for a nice pace. Starting to wonder if we don't need more "TV episodic" video games!

So do I prefer Rev 1 or 2? It's a hard question! 2 is obviously more refined and lacks the jankiness 1 had due to being a handheld game. That said, the boat setting and open layout of 1 just hits home with me. Wish it got a remake with 2's gameplay improvements. I guess I could call it a tie? I'd love to play 2 co-op one day, at least.

I guess I just wanted to spread something positive about the game. I ended up looking for impressions online afterwards only to see some quite negative opinions, particularly on LTTP threads here on GAF. It being "low budget", "bad gameplay" and so forth. And I can't understand a single thing ^^'

Glad you enjoyed it. Though sadly for you, I am on the negative opinion side of things. But for me both Revelations 1 and 2 are this weird half style of trying to be old school, but also trying to merge the action. Which to me they never managed to pull off for those of us who really got into the gameplay mechanics of 4-5. I'm in a camp where you either go horror or you go action, I don't really think a half measure works all that well. But we will see how RE7 goes about that.

With that said I still understand why you and other's enjoy Revelations 1 & 2. They're not bad games, but for me they don't really satisfy what I want out of the series.

Been playing Outbreak online a bit recently, still so fun. I love how stupid some of the characters are like the stickmen/women. I hate the slow characters though, I tried Arnold the other day and was crying at how slow he was.

Spamming the voice commands is still the best.

Lol, what does this even mean? How is anything I said been a strawman

A strawman is when you make a similar but different argument to the one being actually being presented so you can attack that argument instead of having to deal with the actual argument.

I said that RE2 and RE3 can be better combined and gave examples.

You're demanding and claiming I haven't explained how every area of each game will be combined.

I never made or suggested such a thing. You're using a strawman.

You also repeatedly ignore my comments about how when remade the games can have differences so you can keep clinging to arguments based on the two games as they are now. You're even still doing it in the rest of the post I didn't bother to quote above. It doesn't matter how many rooms they share in their existing forms, because when remade they can share however many they want. That's the entire point of remaking them as one game, so they can share and interconnect vastly better.

Strawman again. This time instead of adding things to change my argument you're ignoring parts of it to change my argument.

Jawmuncher

Been playing Outbreak online a bit recently, still so fun. I love how stupid some of the characters are like the stickmen/women. I hate the slow characters though, I tried Arnold the other day and was crying at how slow he was.

Spamming the voice commands is still the best.

It's still crazy how well the Outbreak cast looks, and how good their VA is. For being in a side game, they all stand out and look like characters that could star in their own game. Even though they're supposed to all be just regular joes. But that's part of what I really like about Outbreak. Which I think is part of why the game has had such a dedicated fanbase for so long. All the resources they wasted on Umbrella Corps, would have been better suited on getting Outbreak HD made. Spamming voices as you said was just the best.

george, George, GEORGE!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CG3d6t0wXe0

A strawman is when you make a similar but different argument to the one being actually being presented so you can attack that argument instead of having to deal with the actual argument.

I said that RE2 and RE3 can be better combined and gave examples.

You're demanding and claiming I haven't explained how every area of each game will be combined.

I never made or suggested such a thing. You're using a strawman.

You also repeatedly ignore my comments about how when remade the games can have differences so you can keep clinging to arguments based on the two games as they are now. You're even still doing it in the rest of the post I didn't bother to quote above. It doesn't matter how many rooms they share in their existing forms, because when remade they can share however many they want. That's the entire point of remaking them as one game, so they can share and interconnect vastly better.

Strawman again. This time instead of adding things to change my argument you're ignoring parts of it to change my argument.

So, basically, you have no real counters to most of my argument or points at all, and are attempting to side step it completely by mischaracterizing what I said to the point of more or less lying. Okay. I suggest you replay these games, if you've played them at all, and then maybe you have something to contribute past silly bullshit.

It's still crazy how well the Outbreak cast looks, and how good their VA is. For being in a side game, they all stand out and look like characters that could star in their own game. Even though they're supposed to all be just regular joes. But that's part of what I really like about Outbreak. Which I think is part of why the game has had such a dedicated fanbase for so long. All the resources they wasted on Umbrella Corps, would have been better suited on getting Outbreak HD made. Spamming voices as you said was just the best.

george, George, GEORGE!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CG3d6t0wXe0

I would highly prefer a revival of this series than freaking Umbrella Corps.

Glad you enjoyed it. Though sadly for you, I am on the negative opinion side of things. But for me both Revelations 1 and 2 are this weird half style of trying to be old school, but also trying to merge the action. Which to me they never managed to pull off for those of us who really got into the gameplay mechanics of 4-5. I'm in a camp where you either go horror or you go action, I don't really think a half measure works all that well. But we will see how RE7 goes about that.

With that said I still understand why you and other's enjoy Revelations 1 & 2. They're not bad games, but for me they don't really satisfy what I want out of the series.

Yep, I've beaten both Revelations and honestly am mostly indifferent at this point.

Anyone doing a series play through for October?

So, basically, you have no real counters to most of my argument or points at all

You're hilarious.

I have answers to my argument, not the strawman you keep trying to throw up in its place.

You've repatedly failed to grasp the entire argument and keep making your own to bounce questions off of. I don't think you even realise it.

And please stop with the BS about needing replay these games, I've probably played them more in the last few months than some posters here have in the last 20 years. But it doesn't matter because if you understood the argument you'd realise it is irrelevant to it. But you don't, can't or simply won't.

I did one earlier this year, every single game I did everything there was to do in, so all paths/endings of RE1, every scenario and minigame in RE2, all optional scenes/events in RE3, all paths in Survivor etc etc. Only things I didn't do was a few platform/port unique things, the RE1 Saturn Battle mode and Dreamcast Nightmare difficulty I think are the ones I missed, also I haven't bought Umbrella Corps.

Dusk Golem

Revelations 1 I thought was okay. My favorite parts of it were Raid Mode and the boss battles (the boss battles had fun twists and turns which made them fun & tense despite only okay combat mechanics), I felt the other elements felt a bit watered down
(I apologize for that one}
. You could obviously tell it was made as a handheld game, which made the combat feel a bit wonky in the HD version, the exploration element was not a good combination of trying to mash older and newer style together and though I love sea settings for horror games, it felt the design of the ship with the exception of a few rooms was kind of uninspired and not very fun to navigate. It was basically missing the 'oomph', polish, and execution that made the classic RE's and newer RE's fun, but it had enough of the groundwork to be a bit enjoyable. I kind of put it in the same league as I put Code Veronica and Zero, though if I were to rank them I'd probably go Zero > Revelations 1 > Code Veronica, personally (Code veronica only ends up there due to it having parts I legitimately don't like and frustration, despite having higher highs than both Zero and Rev 1 in my opinion).

I really liked Revelations 2 however. The thing is I can completely understand why some people wouldn't like it, but I had a very special time with Revelations 2. I played on hard difficulty my first time (and should mention with Revelations 2 above I played on Infernal Mode my first time, yes I might be insane), and the added survival element on that difficulty really helped make the game for myself, it added a lot of strategy to each scenario as the ache for specific ammo types and health items was high and I had to result to trying various things in order to progress, sometimes to save some bullets here and there, sometimes out of necessity. I found the environments very fun to explore and scavenge, though the game has a couple segments I feel are weaker than the rest (I actually think the beginning Prison and the Sewer are kind of ehhh environments), settings like the forest, the coastal village, the raining city, the meat factory, and the mansion at the end I absolutely adored. Add to this a number of secrets (weapon parts, hidden bugs, hidden items), some of the enemies in the game I quite enjoyed (I liked how unique Revelations 2 enemies were and they were fun to fight), and some of the scenarios, traps, and (super easy puzzles), matched with what may have been my favorite RE story since RE5's Wesker moments for me. It was also very fun to play week by week when it was releasing and discuss hidden stuff, theories, and more with people here on GAF in the game's OT.

---

I still need to play Outbreak, I should just sit down and figure out how to play the fan servers and play with some friends, but need to find a good time to do as such. I have literally beaten every RE game at this point, most more than once, outside of Outbreak 1 & 2, and Gun Survivor 2. I just keep hoping there'll an HD version, but should just try for emulating the PS2 games and hope can figure out how to play them online with friends.

JayEH

Yep, I've beaten both Revelations and honestly am mostly indifferent at this point.

I would love to but I need to take a break from re. I've played every game this year at least twice and most 3+ times haha.

You're hilarious.

I have answers to my argument, not the strawman you keep trying to throw up in its place.

You've repatedly failed to grasp the entire argument and keep making your own to bounce questions off of. I don't think you even realise it.

And please stop with the BS about needing replay these games, I've probably played them more in the last few months than some posters here have in the last 20 years. But it doesn't matter because if you understood the argument you'd realise it is irrelevant to it. But you don't, can't or simply won't.

Revelations 1 I thought was okay. My favorite parts of it were Raid Mode and the boss battles (the boss battles had fun twists and turns which made them fun & tense despite only okay combat mechanics), I felt the other elements felt a bit watered down
(I apologize for that one}
. You could obviously tell it was made as a handheld game, which made the combat feel a bit wonky in the HD version, the exploration element was not a good combination of trying to mash older and newer style together and though I love sea settings for horror games, it felt the design of the ship with the exception of a few rooms was kind of uninspired and not very fun to navigate. It was basically missing the 'oomph', polish, and execution that made the classic RE's and newer RE's fun, but it had enough of the groundwork to be a bit enjoyable. I kind of put it in the same league as I put Code Veronica and Zero, though if I were to rank them I'd probably go Zero > Revelations 1 > Code Veronica, personally (Code veronica only ends up there due to it having parts I legitimately don't like and frustration, despite having higher highs than both Zero and Rev 1 in my opinion).

I really liked Revelations 2 however. The thing is I can completely understand why some people wouldn't like it, but I had a very special time with Revelations 2. I played on hard difficulty my first time (and should mention with Revelations 2 above I played on Infernal Mode my first time, yes I might be insane), and the added survival element on that difficulty really helped make the game for myself, it added a lot of strategy to each scenario as the ache for specific ammo types and health items was high and I had to result to trying various things in order to progress, sometimes to save some bullets here and there, sometimes out of necessity. I found the environments very fun to explore and scavenge, though the game has a couple segments I feel are weaker than the rest (I actually think the beginning Prison and the Sewer are kind of ehhh environments), settings like the forest, the coastal village, the raining city, the meat factory, and the mansion at the end I absolutely adored. Add to this a number of secrets (weapon parts, hidden bugs, hidden items), some of the enemies in the game I quite enjoyed (I liked how unique Revelations 2 enemies were and they were fun to fight), and some of the scenarios, traps, and (super easy puzzles), matched with what may have been my favorite RE story since RE5's Wesker moments for me. It was also very fun to play week by week when it was releasing and discuss hidden stuff, theories, and more with people here on GAF in the game's OT.

I feel like these are pretty much my thoughts on the Revelation games. Though I think I like Revelations a little less than you, and Revelations 2 a little more.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car

So why am I back?

Appreciate the impressions! Rev 2 was my GOTY. It was great to see Barry and Claire again. I loved the writing just in general. I understand some of the complaints about budget (hit reactions & animations especially), but at least they passed those savings on to us!

I especially loved the dodge button. In Raid I mained Jill, because she had access to all the dodge moves w/o inheritance. By level 100 I was skating all over the place!

WOW did they put a lot of effort into the PS4 version of 6?
I always thought it looked amazing but this is WAY better than I remember.
Could just be playing REV1, REV2 , (PS4)RE5 and RE7 since though.

Top Bottom