• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil Community |OT2| Best Fans Ever!

Teknoman

If I recall correctly there's a *tiny* bit of explanation in RE3 as to why the Mayor has shit hidden in statues and stuff, which is mainly "he's weird"

But yeah, the lack of item sparkle in RE2 is a weird decision that only really encourages people to basically clickhunt every surface (at least stuff isn't hidden in truly nonsensical places - it's on desks, in cabinets/shelves, etc and not just randomly inside of a wall).

Yeah after some exchanges with him and Claire, weird is an understatement.

That being said, there was one item that had a sparkle, and it was in plain sight. The wolf medal when running around with Sherry.

What's the general consensus on the final Mr. x fight in RE2? Do people like it? I found it to be the only part of the game I thought was legitimately bad. He's a huge pain to fight without getting hit but then when you beat him he isn't even satisfying because you get the rocket launcher after shootinf him like 3 times!

I got the impression they tried to make a more dangerous Tyrant fight because the one in RE1 was too easy but then realized he was too powerful and massively lowered his HP.
I think it's got the best atmosphere of any of the classic RE boss battles by far (except for maaaaaybe the Clock Tower fight with Nemesis on Day 1 of RE3). But yeah, his dash attacks cover enormous amounts of ground and his swipe attacks cover a huge area. You can start to see some of the design ideas behind DMC1 Dante taking shape in Kamiya's mind, heh. At any rate, he still follows the classic-RE rule of taking advantage of handedness in humanoid bosses and running to the proper side of him to avoid his attacks.

zeemumu

What if RE7 was a prequel where you're investigating the Arklay Mountain murders? I know it's not but that would be interesting

Jawmuncher

Playing RE2 again and I'm rather surprised they never tried to connect sherry and Claire more after RE2. If she wasn't so concerned on finding Chris, that could have been a rather interesting set up.

Such as Claire being sherry's foster mother, and having her connection in rev 2 with Moira even stronger.

Just a smal idea anyway.

Manu

The thing is that Sherry was basically kept hostage by the government after RE2, and they did all sorts of testing and shit on her. They only let her out shortly after RE6.

Claire still visited her during all that time, but that wouldn't make for an interesting backdrop :p

EDIT: Meant to say "shortly before" RE6. Goddammit.

I miss News Bot.

Jawmuncher

The thing is that Sherry was basically kept hostage by the government after RE2, and they did all sorts of testing and shit on her. They only let her out shortly after RE6.

Claire still visited her during all that time, but that wouldn't make for an interesting backdrop :p

Yeah, would have just been interesting if things had gone differently is all. Like she was in Claire's foster care, but the government was always watching them and such. Neither here nor there though since it ain't like it happened lol.

Jawmuncher

That...is literally the entire basis of the first game.

I think playing as a actual detective, and going to the houses where the families were attacked would be interesting.

Like when you think of RE1, it turns more into let's get the fuck out of this crazy house than any sort of real investigating.

Zambatoh

No I mean with the first murders, as one of the first people investigating it. Pre-S.T.A.R.S. intervention. We never see much of that, even in the first game.

That's because there wasn't any. The STARS team was responsible for the investigation.

Jawmuncher

That's because there wasn't any. The STARS team was responsible for the investigation.

I still like the idea of the pitch awhile back for a tv series
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UZftXBow2A4

It's not like much information of that time frame is given. Don't recall any specifics that said it was STARS who inspected the bodies and were first on the scene as such.

Even regardless of that you could have a private detective that ends up getting deeper than he should have with umbrella on his heels.

finley83

Banned
He's been banned since June. No idea why, but it looks like it was because he debated RE5 wasn't racist in that other thread.

Thanks. Wish there was a clear indication of why someone was banned and when (if at all) it expires, sometimes it feels weird going through someone's posts and trying to figure out what happened.

zeemumu

I still like the idea of the pitch awhile back for a tv series
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UZftXBow2A4

It's not like much information of that time frame is given. Don't recall any specifics that said it was STARS who inspected the bodies and were first on the scene as such.

Even regardless of that you could have a private detective that ends up getting deeper than he should have with umbrella on his heels.

Since the whole thing with the demo seemed like a Ghost Hunters mystery-esque show I felt like that might work.

But the STARS teams weren't the first ones to find all the dead hikers/families. They got sent in sometime later...or at the very least their playable moment was sometime later. We never actually got to play the initial moment when the cops found a bunch of partially eaten people in the woods.

Jawmuncher

Ok so this is something on gaming side I see far to often.

The whole horror fans were treated like second class citizens by actions fans. I can't really recall many action fans ever going "This is RE now, deal with it the old way is dead". Though I can recall all the times anything action shown of RE was instantly labeled as bad.

If anyone is to blame it's capcom for not better catering to the divide it made. Not fans of a preferred style buying the games that appealed to them. Sure there are action fans complaining about RE7, but there was the same type of posts when 4-6 were coming

I dunno, at it's peak, when RE4, and later 5, were fresh, I remember a lot of dismissal for the old RE style as well. Why would Capcom ever go back to the old, dated gameplay were you couldn't even aim properly. Most of the games were just padded with backtracking. The horrible inventory system with item boxes. Now that the series has finally become modern, why would they ever go back?

You know, stuff like that. There was a lot of unreasonable back and forth between the two camps. Not from me though, I was the same peaceful Charlouie that I am today.

Jawmuncher

I dunno, at it's peak, when RE4, and later 5, were fresh, I remember a lot of dismissal for the old RE style as well. Why would Capcom ever go back to the old, dated gameplay were you couldn't even aim properly. Most of the games were just padded with backtracking. The horrible inventory system with item boxes. Now that the series has finally become modern, why would they ever go back?

You know, stuff like that. There was a lot of unreasonable back and forth between the two camps. Not from me though, I was the same peaceful Charlouie that I am today.

Yeah, just weird all around

So will Resident Evil 7 have PC VR support or not?

It should, I don't see them doing all that VR work just for ps. But it's probably timed exclusive.

Neiteio

Playing through The BioShock Collection, I know what I want on NX...

A five-in-one collection compiling the action REs:

- RE4
- RE5
- RE6
- RER1
- RER2

Give me HD remasters of the complete editions for each game so I can play them on the go!

(Also nice that they follow each other chronologically: RE4 - RER1 - RE5 - RER2 - RE6)

Come to think of it, Capcom could remake RE3 and CVX after RE2, and make a five-in-one collection for the old-school games, too:

- RE0
- RE1
- RE2
- RE3
- CVX

It's kind of neat that there were five "survival horror" titles and five "survival action" titles leading up to RE7, which represents yet another shift for the series (i.e. first-person, VR, etc).

usp84

About the RE games.

PS+ will give RE remake in October and i am thinking of finally begin to play all the games.

I have only played RE 1 in ps1 when i was really young and i dont remember many things.

Is the PS4 version good?Will i be missing anything if i start from there?

Jawmuncher

PS3 last gen really benefited. Every mainline title was playable on that series along with both revelations and CVX. I fully expect capcom to try and do more ports of the other games. They want to limit the excuses of "but I can't play them all unless I have another system".

So if REmake2 is successful 2,3, and CVX would be the likely next candidates for remakes.

NX just depends on its power. Right now I'm playing RE2&3 on GameCube and man that controller is just perfect for RE1-4.

About the RE games.

PS+ will give RE remake in October and i am thinking of finally begin to play all the games.

I have only played RE 1 in ps1 when i was really young and i dont remember many things.

It's very good, and a great place to start from. In capcoms eyes it has esstiantlly replaced the original PSX version. There's numerous difficulties if you feel intimidated as well.

Neiteio

About the RE games.

It's a great starting point. You're not missing anything playing the PS4 version of REmake.

I recommend switching the aspect ratio from widescreen to the original 4:3. This is because the widescreen actually just zooms in, so it's cutting off the top and bottom of the image. If you want to see the full scene as the art director intended, stick with 4:3.

I also recommend using the classic controls. The new analog controls make the game too easy and weightless. Use the classic controls for the game's intended balance and feel. :)

usp84

PS3 last gen really benefited. Every mainline title was playable on that series along with both revelations and CVX. I fully expect capcom to try and do more ports of the other games. They want to limit the excuses of "but I can't play them all unless I have another system".

So if REmake2 is successful 2,3, and CVX would be the likely next candidates for remakes.

NX just depends on its power. Right now I'm playing RE2&3 on GameCube and man that controller is just perfect for RE1-4.

It's very good, and a great place to start from. In capcoms eyes it has esstiantlly replaced the original PSX version. There's numerous difficulties if you feel intimidated as well.

It's a great starting point. You're not missing anything playing the PS4 version of REmake.

I recommend switching the aspect ratio from widescreen to the original 4:3. This is because the widescreen actually just zooms in, so it's cutting off the top and bottom of the image. If you want to see the full scene as the art director intended, stick with 4:3.

I also recommend using the classic controls. The new analog controls make the game too easy and weightless. Use the classic controls for the game's intended balance and feel. :)

Thanks for the answers!I will see about this stuff once the game is on PS plus

Jawmuncher

What's the best way to play RE2 and RE3 on PC?

I personally prefer emulating the GameCube versions. Though really you can emulate any version and be fine. Since that's easier to me than applying the English fan patch to the newer Japanese PC versions.

Mainly since every emulator these days has easy xinput support. Rather than having to mess with dinput.

Mr_Zombie

What's the best way to play RE2 and RE3 on PC?

The RE3 PC version works fine on modern PC. I recently tried the Xplosiv version (a budget rerelease version) and it just worked with no problems on Windows 10. However, the Xplosiv version doesn't have the Mercenaries mode. All the data is there, but there's no exe file for the mode.

I remember having problems with the original PC version of RE2 even on Windows XP, so I doubt you can run it properly on modern OS.

There was a new Japanese version of both RE2 and RE3: it run fine on modern Windows and had all FMVs in higher resolution but since it was only released in Japan, all the texts in the game were Japanese. There are fan patch for it.

However, I think the best way to play those games on PC (if you don't care about PC-exclusive stuff) is through emulation, as Jawmuncher said. I don't know about the GameCube versions, but PSX emulators are so mature nowadays that I'm sure you can run PSX versions of those games with no problems.

I personally prefer emulating the GameCube versions.

Are the GameCube versions based on the original PSX games or later ports (PC, DC)? DC/PC version of RE2 had additional gallery mode, and the RE3 port on those platforms had two additional costumes plus higher-res backgrounds.

Jawmuncher

The RE3 PC version works fine on modern PC. I recently tried the Xplosiv version (a budget rerelease version) and it just worked with no problems on Windows 10. However, the Xplosiv version doesn't have the Mercenaries mode. All the data is there, but there's no exe file for the mode.

I remember having problems with the original PC version of RE2 even on Windows XP, so I doubt you can run it properly on modern OS.

There was a new Japanese version of both RE2 and RE3: it run fine on modern Windows and had all FMVs in higher resolution but since it was only released in Japan, all the texts in the game were Japanese. There are fan patch for it.

However, I think the best way to play those games on PC (if you don't care about PC-exclusive stuff) is through emulation, as Jawmuncher said. I don't know about the GameCube versions, but PSX emulators are so mature nowadays that I'm sure you can run PSX versions of those games with no problems.

Are the GameCube versions based on the original PSX games or later ports (PC, DC)? DC/PC version of RE2 had additional gallery mode, and the RE3 port on those platforms had two additional costumes plus higher-res backgrounds.

They're based on the PSX. I just prefer due to using the GameCube controller through dolphin, and skipping cutscenes. Recall in 2 you couldn't in the original release. Though I feel like the GC version of RE3 still has the higher backgrounds though. Looks way better than RE2.

Yeah if I recall now, RE GC vs DC doesn't matter, but DC is hands down best on DC. But in really it only matters if if you plan on doing the extra stuff.

Should note the PAL GC RE2 is based on the US release of the dualshock edition. As such times for rankings differ to other PAL releases and it lacks the S rank the PSX PAL RE2 has. DC didn't have S rank either in PAL as was based on PC which didn't have it.

Jawmuncher

Should note the PAL GC RE2 is based on the US release of the dualshock edition. As such times for rankings differ to other PAL releases and it lacks the S rank the PSX PAL RE2 has. DC didn't have S rank either in PAL as was based on PC which didn't have it.

It's crazy all the little things that differ in all the versions. It'll be really nice if RE2make is good and we finally basically have a "definitive" game.

Zambatoh

The PC versions of RE2 and 3 still work perfectly fine on modern operating systems.
However for RE2, the trick to making it work properly is to open Windows Media Player and just leave it there in the background. This, for whatever reason, fixes the frame rate lag.

Hey RE GAF! Last night I finally finished REmake on PS4 (Origins Collection disc). 21 hours clocked at the end. I'm actually shocked it took me so long. This is one of the most intricately woven games I have ever played. It is also one of the best.

I did end up getting the "good" ending, I think. I freed Chris and we rode off into the sunset together on the helicopter. Fuck Barry. Funny thing is, when he died I picked up his magnum and thought "This is exactly the same as my current magnum, but it seems fitting to swap that out with Barry's gun and use it as a big F U to the man's memory."

I hadn't used any magnum bullets at all...and then I got to Tyrant. ONE BULLET from Barry'a Gun?? I had to look it up because I was sure something was off but nope, turns out Barry's death yielded something useful. Lol

I think I'm not too bitter about REmake hitting the PS PLUS free games this month; it's such an amazing game I'm glad more people will get the chance to experience it. Plus, my Origins disc gets added to the collection and I can always dust it off later to play RE0 at some point.

Is RE0 worth playing?

Anyway, Resident Evil Remastered is the best, pure survival horror game I've ever played. I'm torn as to whether or not it's my favorite in the series; RE4 is still in my top 5 games of all-time and RE5 gave me the single best co-op gameplay experience with a friend I have ever had (and continues to do so since we're replaying it on PS4).

I'm looking forward to replaying this somewhere down the line when I don't have a massive backlog looming over me.

I don't think RE0 is bad, it's just really bland. And the inventory management between two characters and no item boxes is annoying. If I were you, I'd just do Chris' REmake campaign now instead, it's more fun than Jill's. And go get the actual good ending this time.

Jawmuncher

I personally think 0 is still worth playing. I like that it tried something different. But it took you 21 hours to beat, so I could see 0 being harder to manage.

Mr_Zombie

I did end up getting the "good" ending, I think. I freed Chris and we rode off into the sunset together on the helicopter. Fuck Barry.

IIRC that's still considered a "bad" ending: you haven't really finished off the Tyrant (by not saving Barry you missed the final boss battle) and the mansion with all the monsters and Umbrella's leftovers is still there. So, you failed your mission man. :p

And after all those years I still hate how Capcom dumbed down the whole "Barry's a traitor" plot. In the original game it wasn't so obvious (he didn't jumped out at you and threaten you with a magnum pointed at your face, you had to genuinely think about him being a traitor based on his dubious acting throughout the game) and the decision tree of whether you trust Barry or not was more subtle than a simple, in your face "Do you trust Barry? Yes/No" question.

Is RE0 worth playing?

Eh... I don't like RE0 for many things. It's still a good game with beautiful graphics, but it's story goes nowhere, the villain is pathetic, bosses are generic and the whole game design (with the partner system and no item chests) can be a hit and miss. It has some cool puzzles though. So I would still recommend it, just keep in mind that it's nowhere near as good as REmake.

And after all those years I still hate how Capcom dumbed down the whole "Barry's a traitor" plot. In the original game it wasn't so obvious (he didn't jumped out at you and threaten you with a magnum pointed at your face, you had to genuinely think about him being a traitor based on his dubious acting throughout the game) and the decision tree of whether you trust Barry or not was more subtle than a simple, in your face "Do you trust Barry? Yes/No" question.

With the way things go in REmake, Jill also becomes one of the dumbest protagonists in the main series and that's saying something. Speaking of the whole Barry chain of events...the Original was way better with branching paths and had more ways that events could unfold. If you let Barry die in REmake, he just gets unceremoniously knocked down the pit and that's it. And that's after a simple Yes/No choice, like you said. In the original there were various decisions (And some not so obvious.) that decided his faith. There were two different places he could die, depending on what you did during the game, and in both cases you actually got to have a last conversation with him before he croaked. One of those scenes could even have Chris present as well. I mean, in the end all those scenes ended up silly because of the VA, but it's something at least.

Chris' campaign also had two different ways that you could meet up with Rebecca for the first time. In REmake you can only meet her with Richard. (Also, two different places where she could potentially get ambushed by a Hunter, with different dialogue for both events.)

Manu

Yeah, 0 is pretty bland. I finally got it this year with the HD remaster and ended up never finishing it despite having pre-ordered it like a month before release. I don't know, something about it just didn't grab me, made it to the second half and quit.

Jawmuncher

Also looks like VR is timed exclusive
tnpt7xbaf0spjcjkq0j_ox4jca.jpg

Top Bottom