• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil Community |OT2| Best Fans Ever!

kc44135

If I have easy access to RE1 PSX reg and director's cut, will I be interested in what Deadly Silence has to offer? The idea of portable RE1 sounds AWESOME but what is this business about first person mode and are Crimson Heads added? I'm so confused as to the true merits of the release, I really want to have a portable RE1 but are there a lot of glaring changes?

Deadly Silence is a pretty unique version of RE1, and it has alot to offer, even if you've played other versions of it. First off, there's no crimson heads, and no first-person mode. The gameplay takes place in third-person (via fixed camera angles), but if you're playing "Rebirth" mode, there's a knife slashing mini game that takes place in first-person, and has you knifing zombies via the touchscreen. It's simplistic, but I've always found it enjoyable. Additionally, much like Director's Cut's "Advanced/Arrange" mode, Rebirth mode remixes enemy locations, and also changes many of the puzzles, making them more touchscreen focused.

You can also play Classic mode, which is the original game without any of these changes, but there are still some pretty big differences in gameplay. In Deadly Silence, unlike other versions of RE1, you have a quick-turn, a manual reload, and an RE4 style quick-knife that you can bust out at any time, and which doesn't take up inventory space. Also, the knife seems to have been buffed a bit in this version, as it swings faster and has a much longer reach than in other versions.

There are also some pretty big flaws with this port as well, unfortunately. The FMV's look awful in this version (very blurry and pixelated), and the pre-rendered backgrounds also look worse than any other version (they appear to have had their contrast bumped up considerably, and look both washed out and rather cartoonish). The music was also butchered (incredibly poor sound quality, a constant hissing that can be heard if you're wearing headphones, and missing tracks here and there).

TL:DR, Deadly Silence is a pretty cool version of RE1, with a lot of cool and unique features. If you're just looking for RE1 on the go, it's pretty solid, as long as you're OK with it's technical shortcomings.

Edit: one other thing I forgot to mention is that the character models and animations were completely redone for Deadly Silence, and there's also new costumes. They do look pretty great, even if everything else kinda looks worse overall.

Vibranium

Banned
I need to play Revelations 2 before RE7 but I don't know if I'll have the time to beat it. I hear Barry is awesome in the game and that's enough for me.

I need to play Revelations 2 before RE7 but I don't know if I'll have the time to beat it. I hear Barry is awesome in the game and that's enough for me.

Revelations 2 is very short, even when it comes to an initial playthrough. Depending on how much time you can give to it, it should be easy to accomplish.

Wanderer5

At a decent pace, Rev 2 is probably like around 10 hours. Least that how it was for me, but I did do a bit of detouring.

And Barry is indeed awesome in the game.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car

Vibranium

Banned
Revelations 2 is very short, even when it comes to an initial playthrough. Depending on how much time you can give to it, it should be easy to accomplish.

At a decent pace, Rev 2 is probably like around 10 hours. Least that how it was for me, but I did do a bit of detouring.

And Barry is indeed awesome in the game.

Excellent, thanks guys! Looking forward to it. I probably won't deal with Raid mode, apparently it's getting kind of dead on PC like Rev1.

It's funny how Barry is like the highlight of every game he's in, except Gaiden haha. His RE1 voice actor is a legend, a shame the guy apparently passed away years ago.

Wanderer5

US only with PS4 and X1 pre-orders from Gamestop, Xbox store, and PSN.

C1w3gbhXAAEp1eI.jpg

I'm playing Separate Ways on Chapter 2 when you need to activate the lift, and enemies walked into the room with me and the merchant standing there. Dude legit just watches you get fucked up with all of those guns in his pocket.

Merchant: "Damn you took an ass beating. Had to be tough, but you'll be glad to know that I HAVE A SELECTION OF GOOD THINGS ON SALE STRANGER!"

zeemumu

I would need to be paid 70$ to watch that utter shite.

3rd one is probably the worst in my opinion. It has an endgame feel to it but almost everything about that film doesn't matter. The clones, the White Queen, the Mad Max landscape, the convoy of survivors, Alice's programming, etc. Even the villain is apparently showing up in the last one even though he was all bootleg Tyrant-ed up in the third one.

I shouldn't be surprised at that last one, though. This is the series that killed Michelle Rodriguez 4 times.

Wanderer5

That's a random preorder bonus. Might as well bundle with RE Vendetta.

But Vendetta isn't out yet.

And meh doesn't seem like I am going to get this (PC pre-order), but I don't think I have much interests to dive into the live action film series anyway.XD

I get that Retribution is the one prior to the Final Chapter, but I would think a better pack in would be the first
and only good
film in the series if the goal is to introduce people to it.

I'll probably do Best Buy still. Get the main game cheaper to put more towards the season pass.

I get that Retribution is the one prior to the Final Chapter, but I would think a better pack in would be the first
and only good
film in the series if the goal is to introduce people to it.

I'll probably do Best Buy still. Get the main game cheaper to put more towards the season pass.

Honestly, the series morphed so much from the first film, Retribution is probably a better point of reference for what Final Chapter will be like.

kc44135

Guys, I gotta ask, what is going on with RE7's marketing? Like, it's coming out in two weeks and there isn't any marketing for it (that I've seen at least)!? Where's some new gameplay vids and trailers to get people hyped? Compared to 6, it feels like we haven't gotten much with 7. I really think they need to kick things into high gear soon because most people seem to be on the fence, and also seem to be misinformed about the game (Outlast clone, Amnesia clone, etc.). Heh, even as someone who's been following 7 pretty closely since it's reveal, I'm still not entirely sure what we're getting here. So yeah, where's RE7's hype train at? Also, on a side note, anybody know when the reviews will drop?

Jawmuncher

Guys, I gotta ask, what is going on with RE7's marketing? Like, it's coming out in two weeks and there isn't any marketing for it (that I've seen at least)!? Where's some new gameplay vids and trailers to get people hyped? Compared to 6, it feels like we haven't gotten much with 7. I really think they need to kick things into high gear soon because most people seem to be on the fence, and also seem to be misinformed about the game (Outlast clone, Amnesia clone, etc.). Heh, even as someone who's been following 7 pretty closely since it's reveal, I'm still not entirely sure what we're getting here. So yeah, where's RE7's hype train at? Also, on a side note, anybody know when the reviews will drop?

Dusk Golem made a good point on the marketing. They seem to bring going wide, rather than big. There's lots of YouTube ads, commercials during TWD if not more, the movie should have an ad for the game as well. There's also Numerous events, and we're sure to get a new trailer before release. If the reviews are good that'll be marketing enough in some ways too.

Still poised to be the highest selling new title thi January at minimum.

kc44135

Dusk Golem made a good point on the marketing. They seem to bring going wide, rather than big. There's lots of YouTube ads, commercials during TWD if not more, the movie should have an ad for the game as well. There's also Numerous events, and we're sure to get a new trailer before release. If the reviews are good that'll be marketing enough in some ways too.

Still poised to be the highest selling new title thi January at minimum.

Yeah, I guess so. Still seems like an odd approach to me, with this being Capcom's biggest IP and all. But, like you said, it will probably be a big success anyway. On a different note, I remember you saying a few times in the past that you hope action RE isn't dead, and man, I'm right there with you. I've been marathoning the whole series in the lead up to 7, and I just got to 5. Damn, 4 and 5 were fantastic games. 6 is kind of a mess design wise, and perhaps a bit too ambitious for it's own good, but it's also incredibly fun to play. As happy as I am to see a return to Survival Horror (well, some aspects of it, anyway) in 7, I'm gonna miss action Resi something fierce. I hope it ain't gone forever. :(

Jawmuncher

Yeah, I guess so. Still seems like an odd approach to me, with this being Capcom's biggest IP and all. But, like you said, it will probably be a big success anyway. On a different note, I remember you saying a few times in the past that you hope action RE isn't dead, and man, I'm right there with you. I've been marathoning the whole series in the lead up to 7, and I just got to 5. Damn, 4 and 5 were fantastic games. 6 is kind of a mess design wise, and perhaps a bit too ambitious for it's own good, but it's also incredibly fun to play. As happy as I am to see a return to Survival Horror (well, some aspects of it, anyway) in 7, I'm gonna miss action Resi something fierce. I hope it ain't gone forever. :(

Yeah, I really hope they have plans for it. At minimum another series carrying the torch would be good. Playing 4-6 this year has me just a bit sad over RE7 changing again.

Jawmuncher

The conpletionist has a RE7 preview. Not really worth s watch. But he was talking about how "stressful" the game was with its focus on item management again. That was about the only bit that really stuck out to me. The rest of the video was more or less a catch up guide in basics everyone knows about the game already ten fold.

Carbonox

Resident Evil 6 is such a clusterfuck of game design but one that instigates every emotion under the sun, even the positive ones. When it first came out on PS3 I played the shit out of it despite its many faults and found enjoyment in what was such an uneven game.

Playing it through on PS4 now though feels like a different experience after the years gone by. I can't help but be more critical of its clear and many shitty faults yet I'm oddly enjoy it more all the same.

As I said, it's a clusterfuck of game design but a very enjoyable clusterfuck.

Oh and I said it back then and I'll say it now - fuck Ada's new design. It's a completely different character, it hurts.

Bowl0l

Vendetta won't be out by RE7 will it? Unless you meant Damnation?

It's not that random either. The last live action movie comes out the Friday before RE7. Obvious cross promotion

But Vendetta isn't out yet.

And meh doesn't seem like I am going to get this (PC pre-order), but I don't think I have much interests to dive into the live action film series anyway.XD
I didn't keep up with the movie release date so I assumed RE7 comes out earlier before both movies.

Jawmuncher

Resident Evil 6 is such a clusterfuck of game design but one that instigates every emotion under the sun, even the positive ones. When it first came out on PS3 I played the shit out of it despite its many faults and found enjoyment in what was such an uneven game.

Playing it through on PS4 now though feels like a different experience after the years gone by. I can't help but be more critical of its clear and many shitty faults yet I'm oddly enjoy it more all the same.

Oh and I said it back then and I'll say it now - fuck Ada's new design. It's a completely different character, it hurts.

As I like to say, it's a game with high highs and low lows. The gameplay itself is good though, and mercenaries is proof enough of that. Still wish/hope they attempt another game in the style of RE6, that gameplay deserves a high quality campaign based around it.

Akiller

I've played RE6 for the first time 1 year ago and i feel that game is the DMC4 of RE series, that is pretty deep gameplay in a pretty flawed campaign.

It's more fun the more familiar you are with the campaigns because all the bullshit is easy to avoid, you just gotta know how first.

I like Ada's design in RE6 but as a character she's just insufferable. Getting tired of her "I don't even have 10 seconds to explain what's going on" shtick as well as her above-it-all attitude.

Carbonox

Still wish/hope they attempt another game in the style of RE6, that gameplay deserves a high quality campaign based around it.

I mentioned in one of the recent RE7 threads that my ideal scenario for the series moving forward is having two paths in terms of the mainline games and the side games:

Path 1: Action focused that focuses on the BSAA and other departments and their journey around the world dealing with the global threats. Superhero characters like Chris, Leon, etc. See Resident Evil 5 and Resident Evil 6.

Path 2: Horror focused that focuses on the smaller events involving ordinary people and how they get caught up in all this shit in the places everyone forgets about. See Resident Evil 7.

I think this would be a perfect way to accommodate both sets of fans (and people like me who like both anyway). Maybe alternate back and forth (mainline action, side horror, side action, mainline horror, etc.).

strafer

I mentioned in one of the recent RE7 threads that my ideal scenario for the series moving forward is having two paths in terms of the mainline games and the side games:

Path 1: Action focused that focuses on the BSAA and other departments and their journey around the world dealing with the global threats. Superhero characters like Chris, Leon, etc. See Resident Evil 5 and Resident Evil 6.

Path 2: Horror focused that focuses on the smaller events involving ordinary people and how they get caught up in all this shit in the places everyone forgets about. See Resident Evil 7.

I think this would be a perfect way to accommodate both sets of fans (and people like me who like both anyway). Maybe alternate back and forth (mainline action, side horror, side action, mainline horror, etc.).

Isn't that what they were trying to do with the mainline and Revelations series?

Carbonox

Isn't that what they were trying to do with the mainline and Revelations series?

I'm very iffy on the Revelations series. They don't deliver a grander horror experience by any means and while I like seeing the focus switched to the lesser used characters (Rev 2 anyway), I feel that they're just "there" and don't accurately reflect an alternative direction they really have the capability for as displayed in RE7.

I'd like to see them juggle experiences like Resident Evil 7 featuring new and ordinary characters whilst maintaining the grander universe and action heroics of the earlier mainline titles. Both absolutely work in this universe and can live side by side. Absorb the Revelations events in to the mainline series maybe moving forward? I dunno, just spitballing.

Jawmuncher

I'm very iffy on the Revelations series. They don't deliver a grander horror experience by any means and while I like seeing the focus switched to the lesser used characters (Rev 2 anyway), I feel that they're just "there" and don't accurately reflect an alternative direction they really have the capability for as displayed in RE7.

I'd like to see them juggle experiences like Resident Evil 7 featuring new and ordinary characters whilst maintaining the grander universe and action heroics of the earlier mainline titles. Both absolutely work in this universe and can live side by side. Absorb the Revelations events in to the mainline series maybe moving forward? I dunno, just spitballing.

I agree about the Rev games. They originally were meant to sort of bride action and horror. To give something to those who thought mainline was too much. But I still feel they were a jack of all trades master of none. Yeah they kinda had some atmosphere, and they still had some action. But it was all lacking compared to the mainline of any style. The budgets don't help either. So to me they're the weirdest RE games in the main series.

The idea to go back and forth on horror and full action to me is definitely the best course. Revelations subtitle should be dropped for something else.

kromeo

The revelations games aren't the best from a gameplay perspective but if you like the characters and settings from the games before 5 there's still a lot to like in them. The cutscenes and voice acting are actually better than any of the mainline games

Top Bottom