• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil Community |OT2| Best Fans Ever!

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Currently playing through RE5 using the Warrior costume. Its amazing.

fdacfbcc3ce71db7e4c679f35d194ffc.png

Warrior Chris and Fairytale Sheva would be my favorite costumes.

Jawmuncher

Thinking about it though. A lot of times I just end up sticking with the defaults or their older looks. I can't think of too many alternate costumes where I was like "This is better".

REmake - Jill and Chris BSAA looks are standard for me. Both are 10x better than the originals.

RE0 - Rebecca Stars 1997 is the best look for her. Billy's commando alt is pretty good too. Even if it sticks a bit out if you're going for a "serious" playthrough.

RE3 - Regina of course

Outside of those games, I usually just stick with the default.

Chris' outfit in RE1 Director's Cut's Arranged Mode was better than his default look, imo.

3QaGCAK.jpg

As for the REmake, can't stand Chris' RE5 gorilla look in that one while I didn't mind it in 5 itself. Default is the only choice.

And not only does RE6 not have alt outfits for the campaigns, there are absolutely no unlockable weapons either. There's almost nothing to unlock outside of Mercenaries mode stuff. Pretty weird.

kromeo

I think playboy Billy was the only costume i used in any of the games, they mostly just look ridiculous

RE5 Chris is the worst design in the series, i dont think it's hard to guess what other series they were inspired by when they made that monstrosity

And not only does RE6 not have alt outfits for the campaigns, there are absolutely no unlockable weapons either. There's almost nothing to unlock outside of Mercenaries mode stuff. Pretty weird.

On PS3 I edited my save so in the campaign all characters had Jake's melee attacks and a rocket launcher. Was fun.

Sadly no way to do this on PS4.

As for costumes, RE3 has the best selection, default is great, biker is great, Regina is great. Only the disco and cop outfits were duds, the PC/DC extra costumes were ok but more like varients of the default.

fake edit: Actually I guess RE0 HD has it beat now, STARS 1996 my fav, follow by 1997.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
Both Irving and Excella deserved for development

Yep, I wish they both had survived RE5. Capcom is too quick to kill off the bad guys. Keeping Wesker around for several games worked really well, don't know why he's been the only character to get that sweeping, multi-episode treatment (other than backstory i.e. Spencer & company)

EDIT
I'm playing as business Sheva these days

Jawmuncher

I think playboy Billy was the only costume i used in any of the games, they mostly just look ridiculous

RE5 Chris is the worst design in the series, i dont think it's hard to guess what other series they were inspired by when they made that monstrosity

I'll never agree. RE5 chris is when the character finally fell into his own, and finally had a non-boring design imo. He was a face that would be easily lost in the crowd before RE5. Also I think making the character more muscular was a good thing. We didn't really have a "beef cake" character before chris. So it was rather nice to see, and makes sense to me. If they ever remake RE5 and 6, he better be just as muscular. The true perfect version of chris is RE6 chris, with RE5 hair though.

strafer

I'll never agree. RE5 chris is when the character finally fell into his own, and finally had a non-boring design imo. He was a face that would be easily lost in the crowd before RE5. Also I think making the character more muscular was a good thing. We didn't really have a "beef cake" character before chris. So it was rather nice to see, and makes sense to me. If they ever remake RE5 and 6, he better be just as muscular. The true perfect version of chris is RE6 chris, with RE5 hair though.

Jaw speaks the truth.

Vendetta is the weirdest Chris. :D

strafer

Well we don't know that for certain though, they haven't relased the voice actors yet. Maybe the trailer was just a temporary thing for the trailer? The movie isn't out for quiet some time.

Maybe there's still hope.

Jawmuncher

Decided to order one of those 4D Resident Evil 7 candles, even though I won't be playing in VR.
Will let you all know if it adds to the experience. Or if more than likely it'll just smell like shit.

Foxxsoxx

Playing through Zero for the first time, just unlocked the doors that the statue knights sword's were blocking. I've died 4 or so times in this, I never died in REmake XD

Rebecca is fragile as balls and the inventory management is getting kind of annoying but damn they did a great job graphically with Zero at least. It looks way better than Remake did.

kromeo

Playing through Zero for the first time, just unlocked the doors that the statue knights sword's were blocking. I've died 4 or so times in this, I never died in REmake XD

Rebecca is fragile as balls and rhia inventory management is getting kind of annoying but damn they did a great job graphically with Zero.

It's a harder game than REmake, they give you much less healing items except for right at the end. Those leach zombie things can drain your ammo as well if you don't have molotovs with you

The inventory system was the games biggest flaw, you spend far too much time moving things around

Jawmuncher

I don't disagree but I'm pretty sure this is not the thread you think it is. Also, what exactly is he even trying to do?

Yeah this was meant for the MvC thread lol.
Only way I can turn this around was that Wesker and Spider-Man got revealed at the same time in MVC3.
Dunno what he's doing. Decided on a out of context gif.

Neff

I THINK I JUST SEEN ONE OF THE COOLEST THINGS IN A RESIDENT EVIL GAME.

Some genius figured out the logic behind REmake's animations and successfully imported the 3D models of Jill, Wesker and Barry and their respective animations into Blender along with a custom built Spencer Mansion.

But that isn't the cool part, he managed to attach a fucking first person camera to Jill's head... it plays the opening to the game from her perspective and HOLY FUCKING FUCK it looks amazing!!!

Perfect reference material to highlight how first person takes away more than it provides.

Mr_Zombie

Maybe they'll patch in a third person camera once enough complaints are made.

I doubt that's possible. Just from playing the demo, game (and scares) are designed with the player having limited point of view and being able to look (point) straight at certain things. For example, with tpp Jack wouldn't be able to sneak on you as you answer the phone or open the back door.

Mr_Zombie

How is that the case when it was a first person camera just slapped on to something designed entirely with third person (and variable camera angles) in mind?

Because even if it was an official work, it wouldn't be that different - well, maybe it wouldn't have the wobbly head. Third person perspective - at least in cut-scenes with different angel views - allows you to focus on characters' faces (emotions), show the environment better, focus on different aspects of the environment (so you can see what the character wouldn't normally look at, see better the perspective and size of locations etc.). First person mode limits you to see only what the character sees and nothing else.

Because even if it was an official work, it wouldn't be that different - well, maybe it wouldn't have the wobbly head. Third person perspective - at least in cut-scenes with different angel views - allows you to focus on characters' faces (emotions), show the environment better, focus on different aspects of the environment (so you can see what the character wouldn't normally look at, see better the perspective and size of locations etc.). First person mode limits you to see only what the character sees and nothing else.

That all depends on how the game is designed. You can do the same with scale, expressions, and such if it's all done with that in mind in development.

It's not like flipping a switch.

Mr_Zombie

I'm replaying RE5 Mercenaries Reunion now and I dunno, I'm not enjoying it as much as I enjoyed it way back when. I think RE6 spoiled me. There are a couple of annoying things there:
- there's a weird priority of actions: picking up items > melee'ing enemies > using herbs; there were a couple moments when I was surrounded by enemies, wanted to heal myself but characters were either picking up items around or attacking enemies, which eventually resulted in me dying; there were also a couple of situations where I wanted to keep my combo score but instead of headbutting the enemy Barry "decided" that picking up handgun bullets was more important :/
- why is the camera so close to characters? D:
- mutating enemies (those that grow las plagas out of their heads or those who mutate into Duvalia) can easily break your combo and you have no idea whether this specific enemy will mutate or not;
- I miss instakill melees (with a lot of crowd control) from RE6 :( A lot of times I go for a melee only to end up with the enemy still living after receiving a boot to the face;
- the PC Gold Edition fucked up items arrangement in Mercenaries mode; in the standard (GFWL) edition the items arrangement changed depending on whether you were playing on gamepad (items were assigned to the D-Pad) or keyboard (they were assigned to 1, 2, 3... buttons). In Gold Edition, no matter how you play, items are always arranged for the gamepad, which results in me rearranging weapons at the start on each match :/

strafer

I'm replaying RE5 Mercenaries Reunion now and I dunno, I'm not enjoying it as much as I enjoyed it way back when. I think RE6 spoiled me. There are a couple of annoying things there:
- there's a weird priority of actions: picking up items > melee'ing enemies > using herbs; there were a couple moments when I was surrounded by enemies, wanted to heal myself but characters were either picking up items around or attacking enemies, which eventually resulted in me dying; there were also a couple of situations where I wanted to keep my combo score but instead of headbutting the enemy Barry "decided" that picking up handgun bullets was more important :/
- why is the camera so close to characters? D:
- mutating enemies (those that grow las plagas out of their heads or those who mutate into Duvalia) can easily break your combo and you have no idea whether this specific enemy will mutate or not;
- I miss instakill melees (with a lot of crowd control) from RE6 :( A lot of times I go for a melee only to end up with the enemy still living after receiving a boot to the face;
- the PC Gold Edition fucked up items arrangement in Mercenaries mode; in the standard (GFWL) edition the items arrangement changed depending on whether you were playing on gamepad (items were assigned to the D-Pad) or keyboard (they were assigned to 1, 2, 3... buttons). In Gold Edition, no matter how you play, items are always arranged for the gamepad, which results in me rearranging weapons at the start on each match :/

The camera in RE5 is the best camera in any resident evil game. It's so great.

Rebecca is fragile as balls and the inventory management is getting kind of annoying but damn they did a great job graphically with Zero at least. It looks way better than Remake did.

You should be using Billy during fights.

I'm also one of those who are totally ok with the redesign Chris got in 5.
He looked boring before, this design stands out like a main character should.

I can't get over the fact that RE7 wont have any of the iconic characters, it just doesn't feel right to me.

Wanderer5

Beaten Revelations 2. First half was okay, but then I felt the second half kicked things into high gear, when more interesting places, encounters, traps, puzzles and such came in. Episode 3 Claire, and probably episode 4 Barry are the highlights for me. I would say it ended up better than the first Rev (campaign wise, as still not sure with Raid), through I still really enjoyed the Queen Zenobia.

Anyway that is enough catching up with the series for now. I probably will give REmake another round later this year and then maybe look forward to REmake 2.

Carbonox

Man I forgot how god awful the AI is on Professional mode in Resident Evil 5. Though I did better this time around then my first run through on that mode back when the game originally came out on PS3 (Ndesu and Jill anyone?). This time it took 3 attempts to do Ndesu on this mode though it still took like 5/6 on Jill cos the AI refuses to heal you even when standing next to them when you're dying. :lol

Made it through though but yeah the AI is truly awful on this mode. Just have to do the final mission, upgrade the rest of my weapons and the Platinum is done (for the second time!).

Then it's on to RE6.

Jawmuncher

Man I forgot how god awful the AI is on Professional mode in Resident Evil 5. Though I did better this time around then my first run through on that mode back when the game originally came out on PS3 (Ndesu and Jill anyone?). This time it took 3 attempts to do Ndesu on this mode though it still took like 5/6 on Jill cos the AI refuses to heal you even when standing next to them when you're dying. :lol

Made it through though but yeah the AI is truly awful on this mode. Just have to do the final mission, upgrade the rest of my weapons and the Platinum is done (for the second time!).

Then it's on to RE6.

Yeah Professional solo is more or less made to be played with infinite ammo and maxed weapons imo.

If I have easy access to RE1 PSX reg and director's cut, will I be interested in what Deadly Silence has to offer? The idea of portable RE1 sounds AWESOME but what is this business about first person mode and are Crimson Heads added? I'm so confused as to the true merits of the release, I really want to have a portable RE1 but are there a lot of glaring changes?

Jawmuncher

If I have easy access to RE1 PSX reg and director's cut, will I be interested in what Deadly Silence has to offer? The idea of portable RE1 sounds AWESOME but what is this business about first person mode and are Crimson Heads added? I'm so confused as to the true merits of the release, I really want to have a portable RE1 but are there a lot of glaring changes?

I don't know the in-depth stuff. But it has two modes. One that has touch screen stuff, and one that doesn't. The touch screen mode shuffles things a little bit, and personalyl isn't worth playing. All it really has is knife encounters which waste resources, and puzzles boxes that will give you a few extra items if solved. I think there's some other smaller things like being able to type with the bottom screen.

But as I said it has a original mode that cuts all that out, and to me is the best way to play it.

But as I said it has a original mode that cuts all that out, and to me is the best way to play it.
Thank you! I was unsure if the new stuff was forced or not. I'll snatch it up as soon as I finish Chrono Trigger, I've been meaning to play the original again in some form after RE2 and REmake last year.

DS's Rebirth mode, apart from the added touchscreen puzzles, shuffles things around similiar to the Director's Cut's Arranged Mode but is not nearly as well designed. The Original Mode is...well, the original, but with better character models and manual reload similiar to the REmaster.

Actually, there are a few changes in the sound department. Instead of the original soundtrack it uses all the tracks from the "Remix" soundtrack release:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E08HOFEdHJw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qb30HMrkexk

While the sound samples are definitly higher quality, some of these arranements go a bit against the atmosphere of the game, but that's my entirely subjective view.

Also, for some reason they redubbed all of Richard's dialogue with a new VA. He's still terrible, but deliberatly, which makes it legit worse.

The FMV intro is censored in all regions now.

Top Bottom