• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil Community |OT2| Best Fans Ever!

Sanctuary

I still really like RE2 Leon (except for voice acting, which was fixed with Paul Mercier in Darkside Chronicles). His RE2 art (non-CG cutscenes) looks really neat with shorter hair.

I didn't even realize that it was a different voice actor after RE2 (never listened to RE2 through headphones), and just assumed that they were just allowed to "get it right" in RE4. I also thought it might have just been the platform as well as maybe just the way they recorded it. Sounded different, but it could have been for any number of reasons. Regardless, Mercier is Leon. I also liked the character though in RE2. I think a lot of people did, or else why have him return in 4 instead of Claire or a new character?

gelf

Man, why does this game have to come out the exact same day as Yakuza 0. I would like to get this as it comes out, but I feel like the Yakuza series is in more need of sales than this. (Also, not really knowing much of this game and whether I'll enjoy it. I guess that's one of the upsides of waiting.)
Sega are the worst with putting niche stuff out on days with bigger releases. They have past history with this. If forced to choose I'd go Yakuza too because it needs me more but I'm getting both anyway. Helps that I was able to get Resi for just £25.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I cannot decide if I'm buying this. Would be the first RE proper where I wasn't there day one. Idk, I even have Pro+VR but I'm just flat lining as far as hype.

Idk. Why did RE have to go first person... so annoying.

Jawmuncher

I cannot decide if I'm buying this. Would be the first RE proper where I wasn't there day one. Idk, I even have Pro+VR but I'm just flat lining as far as hype.

First person is definitely my least liked factor of if

Imagine if after you beat the game you got a 3rd person mode...

It might explain why Ethan's face was modeled.

cheez124

just finished re4 for the first time, really enjoyed it! wish i hadn't waited so long to play it. the island section felt like kind of a slog, though. all those crossbow and gatling gun enemies were somewhat annoying to fight, but i don't think it was quite as bad as re5's gun-wielding majini, as much as i love 5

i also finished separate ways to get the chicago typewriter in the main game, but i don't have nearly enough pesetas. are there any good ways to make money fast?

just finished re4 for the first time, really enjoyed it! wish i hadn't waited so long to play it. the island section felt like kind of a slog, though. all those crossbow and gatling gun enemies were somewhat annoying to fight, but i don't think it was quite as bad as re5's gun-wielding majini, as much as i love 5

i also finished separate ways to get the chicago typewriter in the main game, but i don't have nearly enough pesetas. are there any good ways to make money fast?

Not really, sell all excess ammo etc, knife enemies when you can, save treasures until can combine them before selling, pick up everything you can. Also pictures/paintings of Saddler often have stuff behind them. You can unlock the handcannon via mercs (5 star all stages with every character) then while carrying it ammo drops for it, sell that ammo as it's worth a lot.

Without a chapter select no real way to farm.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Finally finished my RE series marathon, some games aged well since I last played them, some didn't.

REmake > RE2/RE3 > RE4 > RE0 > RE5 > RECV > RER2 > RE6 > RER

REmake continues to be the king and I don't think any game will ever take its crown.

RE2 and RE3 are on the same spot because IMO those 2 games complete each other. While i love RE2 because of its characters and monster design, I prefer RE3 for showing more of the city, in RE2 you play like 5 minutes on the streets of Raccoon, the rest you are indoors. RE3 is a better interpretation of the whole "City devastated full of zombies and monsters" scenario.

Yes, Revelations is worst than 6. The FOV is shit, the characters are stupid, the gunplay feels worse than RE7.

just finished re4 for the first time, really enjoyed it! wish i hadn't waited so long to play it.
Glad you liked it! Give it a few months and you'll really enjoy a replay knowing exactly how to deal with the game's tricks. How about those chainsaw whackos? Or that tall boss that turns into a half segmented demon centipede in the burning barn?

So many great moments.

IoPfW.gif

REmake continues to be the king and I don't think any game will ever take its crown.
Agreed! It is perfection. The perfect trashy gorey oozing puzzle box that still scares and disgusts with enough arcade elements to make every game fun.

In the last year I replayed through every single RE game, some multiple times, even the shit ones. Some I like more, some less, also some ports make vastly better experiences than others, if I gotta rank them best to worst. Keep in mind I like some for totally different reasons.

RE3
RE5
REmake
Deadly Silence
RE0
Survivor with G-Con
Revelations
Revelations 2
RE2
RE1/DC
RE6
CVX HD
RE4
Umbrella Chronicles
ORC
Survivor without G-Con
Mercs 3D
Darkside Chronicles
CV/X
Outbreak
Outbreak 2
Dead Aim
Gun Survivor 2
Gaiden

Umbrella Corps is the only RE I not bought on release since the original RE1. Not bought it at all. It not called RE though anyway so sod it.

- Survivor is night and day played with a G-CON or not and extremely fun with one.
- Deadly Silence a great fun and fresh take on the original game and REmake alike.
- RE2 loses loads of points on alt scenarios because too much recycling, is like 100+10% of a scenario stretched across 4 of them. Gets boring very fast playing alts.
- CVX HD has much better atmosphere than the original with change of lighting and fogging.
- Shaking cam ruins Darkside Chronicles.
- Top and bottom 3 spot on but others could switch about a couple places, not like this an exact science. RE3 godly design.

Mr_Zombie

- CVX HD has much better atmosphere than the original with change of lighting and fogging.

Is it really that much better? I haven't played the game (damn you Capcom for not releasing it on PC), but from what I saw on YouTube videos they not only changed the lighting, but also make the screen really dark (to the point a lot of details, and sometimes even bigger things like doors, were lost) and really saturated the colors. The original suffered from being to bright and colorful, but the HD version's solution doesn't look good either.

True. I played DSC a years or so ago and while generally I enjoyed the game, the shaky cam was unbearable. It was like I was fighting both zombies and the camera throughout the whole game :/ Plus, there were too much scripted sequences (especially during boss battles).

Is it really that much better? I haven't played the game (damn you Capcom for not releasing it on PC), but from what I saw on YouTube videos they not only changed the lighting, but also make the screen really dark (to the point a lot of details, and sometimes even bigger things like doors, were lost) and really saturated the colors. The original suffered from being to bright and colorful, but the HD version's solution doesn't look good either.

IMO yes, the darkness can technically be an issue (are items in plane sight invisible, like a herb on the bridge) but what is gained makes up for it. Plus is a way to deal with the darkness I'll mention below.

I always found the original very dull and depressing to play, no good light, no fix for it, fogging used. This is all changed, no fogging, darkness instead of dullness and not depressing.

While there are more dark areas now the lighter item gets a new use and even improved upon areas in the original that while brighter were not bright enough.

The darkness also helps hide the generally aged and ugly environments too.

The changes really change the mood of the game and in my case make it more enjoyable to play.

zeemumu

In the last year I replayed through every single RE game, some multiple times, even the shit ones. Some I like more, some less, also some ports make vastly better experiences than others, if I gotta rank them best to worst. Keep in mind I like some for totally different reasons.

RE3
RE5
REmake
Deadly Silence
RE0
Survivor with G-Con
Revelations
Revelations 2
RE2
RE1/DC
RE6
CVX HD
RE4
Umbrella Chronicles
ORC
Survivor without G-Con
Mercs 3D
Darkside Chronicles
CV/X
Outbreak
Outbreak 2
Dead Aim
Gun Survivor 2
Gaiden

Umbrella Corps is the only RE I not bought on release since the original RE1. Not bought it at all. It not called RE though anyway so sod it.

- Survivor is night and day played with a G-CON or not and extremely fun with one.
- Deadly Silence a great fun and fresh take on the original game and REmake alike.
- RE2 loses loads of points on alt scenarios because too much recycling, is like 100+10% of a scenario stretched across 4 of them. Gets boring very fast playing alts.
- Top and bottom 3 spot on but others could switch about a couple places, not like this an exact science. RE3 godly design.

The final act of ORC still pisses me off. It feels like they forgot to put a transition cutscene in between that last decision and "boss battle"

kromeo

If I had to rank the series based on my recent replays:

Ignoring light gun games

REmake
Code Veronica X
RE2
RE0
RE4
Revelations 2
RE3
Revelations 1
RE5
Outbreak

Outbreak annoyed me so much I didn't bother with the second one. It might have been fun back when there was multiplayer but the AI is unaceptable playing it solo.

Haven't got round to 6 again yet so I'll leave that out

On another day I might swap 2 and Code Veronica

Jawmuncher

You should keep that in the spoilers thread. Obviously it implies a series vet.

Yup, telling us the gender also narrows it down even more.

Capcom already confirmed cameos.

The first major thing is that – finally – returning characters have been confirmed. I'd taken some interest in how Capcom had been wording the answer to this question, only ever clarifying that we wouldn't be playing as a returning character. Looks like I was right to question, as Kawata explained:
Returning characters will be appearing but minimally.

Capcom already confirmed cameos.

Not everyone follows news, on purpose. Now cameos aren't a surprise.

The final act of ORC still pisses me off. It feels like they forgot to put a transition cutscene in between that last decision and "boss battle"

Yeah the end is a mess, and sod fighting Leon.

ORC gets much better with the Echo Six campaign. It is hands down better than Wolfpack's campaign.

Grisby

^^^^Can kind of guess that name but I'm not clicking. Ah well.

Can;t believe it's out so soon. I was in such a different place when RE6 was released in 2012 and here we are.

Really curious to see how it turned out.

The new CG movie should be out soon too I imagine.

RSB

Banned
So are people mad or excited in the spoiler thread? I don't want to look and I've already ruined the cameo by reading a reddit comment.
I can only speak for myself, but from what I've seen in the videos and streams out there, the game seems pretty much what I expected since the Beginning Hour Demo. So my level of excitement is about the same (near zero)

I do like the way they seem to be handling the story though, which is nice.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
RE2 > RE4 > RECVX > RE1 > REMake > RER > RER2 > RE3 > RE5 > RE6

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
If I had to rank the series before RE7 comes out, and know I have a few unpopular opinions I know, but I would honestly rank them from favorite to least favorite

RE4 > REmake > RE3 > RE2 > Revelations 2 > RE5 > RE6 > Dead Aim > Zero > Revelations 1 > Code Veronica > Operation Raccoon City > Survivor > Gaiden

RE4 & REmake are SOOOO close for me, it took me forever to decide I liked RE4 more. The reason for the decision is based on the Caves in REmake. I think the caves in REmake I enjoy less than any part of RE4. But know it's only a slight bit above RE4, they're super close for different reasons to me.

I also have the controversial opinion I think RE3 edges RE2 just BARELY for me. It's really close too. RE2 is very short and I feel once you leave the RPD Police Station the game doesn't make the most of its locations, which end up being either too brief (Sewers, Yard) or weirdly drawn out feeling (Lab) without making it as interesting as it could. REmake 2 could remedy it certainly. I do love the different campaign takes, A & B scenarios, and some of the monsters and music in RE2. But RE3 I like more due to it having a more enjoyable 'hub' to explore for a while in Raccoon City (I think they do some interesting level design different than any other RE game), I like Nemesis' presence and really enjoy basically all the locations (once away from Raccoon City, I really did enjoy the Clock Tower, Hospital, Park, and Factory). With variations and the ammo crafting system, I think over time I've concluded I like it more than RE2, but just by a bit.

I really liked Revelations 2 personally, I'll go more in-depth on that another time.

RE5 just barely edges over RE6 for me. It took me a long time to come to this conclusion. I actually think RE6 has higher highs than RE5, but also lower lows. I think in the end RE5 is a much more tightly designed game and benefits from it since I think doing a full run of RE5 is more fun than a full run of RE6, even if specific moments of RE6 I think are better than the best moments of RE5 (but then some of the worst moments of RE6 I think are worse than the worst moments of RE5). RE5 is also aided I actually find its cutscenes fun to watch, I think RE5 has much more enjoyable dialogue and cutscenes than RE6 had (not saying RE6 had no enjoyable dialogue or cutscenes, but I think RE5 trumps it there).

Dead Aim is underrated as hell, in my opinion. Though it starts off a bit ehhh, I actually have come to like it a lot over time.

Zero has a few drudgery moments, but I love the atmosphere and look of some areas, and there's fun to be had simply exploring and progressing in its environments. I do think the game kind of gets less interesting when you leave the church, though.

Revelations 1 has its moments I like a lot about it, but as a whole I say it's decidedly average. It feels like the most average RE game to me.

Code Veronica though has some outstanding elements, but absolutely frustrating gameplay design that actually sometimes makes me actively angry when I play it. I think Code Veronica has SO MUCH potential, but i desperately needs a remake to realize it. And a dramatically changed remake. Its concepts are good, the music is great, the setting fantastic, the villains likable, and even has some good story beats, but its smothered by frustrating gameplay design.

ORC can be fun with friends, and the DLC is leagues better than the main campaign, but it lacks polish and sort of focus and tight design. Its missing some of that RE series charm.

Survivor is okay, but it's pretty simple. Pathway stuff is kinda' cool, but outside of that it's barebones. Gaiden is... Well, a Gameboy RE game. What would you expect. It's actually kind of frustrating towards the end of it.

I need more time to process where I'd place Umbrella Chronicles, Darkside Chronicles, and Umbrella Corps on the list. Also the original RE1, not helped there's so many versions of it. I'd need to think more of where to place these on my list.

I also need to beat Gun Survivor 2, Outbreak 1, & Outbreak 2. I've played bits of them, but never beaten them (and never played the Outbreak games online, which I want to amend soon).

RE2 > RE4 > RECVX > RE1 > REMake > RER > RER2 > RE3 > RE5 > RE6

I know these all personal preference so not saying you're wrong for your choices, but how does RE2 rate so highly, objectively it one of the worst in the main series. Very linear, worst puzzles hands down, barely any actual puzzles, recycled scenarios with very little variation etc etc.

Dusk Golem

I know these all personal preference so not saying you're wrong for your choices, but how does RE2 rate so highly, objectively it one of the worst in the main series. Very linear, worst puzzles hands down, barely any actual puzzles, recycled scenarios with very little variation etc etc.

I've got a weird relationship with RE2. Since part of me 100% agrees with you. I think it has the worst puzzles out of any of the games with any sort of puzzle focus, I think the design is off once you get out of the RPD Police Station and there's some other problems I have with it.

But there's some things I like about it. I think there's some expertly done moments, such as the first Licker encounter, or the gunshop intro, or the Mirror Room, or even just entering the RPD Station or the first time you go to the basement. I think many people remember these sort of things more fondly. and the music in RE2 is fantastic and I sort of like just the design of the RPD Police Station and streets before it. I also think it introduces some of the most interesting monsters in the early series, and I'd actually say its boss fights are better than most of the other older entries in the series. They've got a it more to them and more memorable designs, but even mechanically they're more varied and interesting just by a bit than a typical old-school RE boss fight. And there's just cool little things, like seeing the S.T.A.R.S. office, I liked there being a photo development room in a save room, I liked the chaotic opening, zombie coming through the door scene, etc.

I also think it has a pretty decent story to it. It has some interesting details and I enjoy the sort of world that RE2 invents from the events of RE1.

But I certainly have issues with it, and I think many forget how many issues RE2 actually has. Boring puzzles, sometimes some ludrious and kind of dull backtracking... There's a very specific point I think RE2 just begins falling off a cliff in quality. It's when you get one of the keys, towards the end of the RPD Police Station. The Police Station goes from interesting to kind of dull towards the end, and then the Sewers are a nice change of pace and the Alligator is cool, but it's so short and feels so... underwhelming outside of that. Then the Marshalling Yard is over in a snap, and the labs are kind of dull, outside of one room with a moth in it and the room with the sliding doors is kind of cool I guess.

I think my issue with RE2 is the puzzles in general, and just how the game has such a slip in quality in its second half of the game in my opinion.

GrayChild

Ranking only the canon titles for now:

REmake/1 > RE3: Nemesis > RE0 > Revelations 2 > RE2 > RE4 > RE6 > RE5 > Revelations 1 > Code Veronica

Generally the only games in the series I'm not very fond of are the first Revelations (which was quite boring for an RE title) and Code Veronica which was so frustrating and cheap at certain points not to mention how annoying Steve can be that to this day is the only game in the series I have not completed.

derFeef

You all think it's worth getting the coin ready for RE7? I would need to do it with a walkthrough which kinda seems like cheating and I hate the idea that puzzles are so convoluted... but why not.

When sequels come out, I usually try to play the predecessor(s) beforehand. I like that I do not need to do that with this one (right?).

GAMEPROFF

Banned
You all think it's worth getting the coin ready for RE7? I would need to do it with a walkthrough which kinda seems like cheating and I hate the idea that puzzles are so convoluted... but why not.

I think you can do the shortest solution and get the coin

Dusk Golem

Ranking only the canon titles for now:

REmake/1 > RE3: Nemesis > RE0 > Revelations 2 > RE2 > RE4 > RE6 > RE5 > Revelations 1 > Code Veronica

Generally the only games in the series I'm not very fond of are the first Revelations (which was quite boring for an RE title) and Code Veronica which was so frustrating and cheap at certain points not to mention how annoying Steve can be that to this day is the only game in the series I have not completed.

This is something to be said. Even my least favorite RE game (which is currently Gaiden) I don't even really think is a bad game, just okay.

I think generally everything above Survivor for me is what I'd considered a good game. Revelations 1 I think is probably the most average RE game out there, there's something about it that kind of makes it feel lacking in areas, but there were a few stand-out points for myself as well.

But I enjoy most of the series. Zero and above I love to replay every once in a while.

When sequels come out, I usually try to play the predecessor(s) beforehand. I like that I do not need to do that with this one (right?).

It's a bit convoluted but honestly not too hard to do. Tip for the last giggle that was discovered, if you pick up no bullets and then pick up the phone for the 5th giggle and then look at the doll, it works every time. Otherwise you need to go ghost spotting hunting.

I think RE7 is designed like RE4 in that it's made to be accessible to newcomers but also has references to older RE games. It has its own story off in its own little corner of the world separate from the rest of the series, but also connected and has connections, it's part of the same world and will probably mesh in more with the series in the future (like the plaga did after RE4). I know of at least a couple connections RE7 has with the rest of the series, but I think you're fine not having a full refresher of the series before you play.

derFeef

Okay thanks :)
Last RE game I played was Rev2 and I really loved it. Need to go back and finish it! Kinda ashamed I have not played RE1 - 4 but hey, I have the collection at least and know roughly what happened with the whole story, 5 and 6 explained a lot in hindsight.

One change i'd like to see in REmake 2,
Jill added to Extreme Battle.

I mean she kinda makes more sense than Chris.
Rebecca as well depending on Vendetta explaining her post RE1 story.

RSB

Banned
Are we doing favorite RE lists? Cool, here's mine, divided in tiers:

Masterpiece: RE2, RE4, REmake
Great: RE5, RE3, RE6
Ok: RE0, Rev2, CVX
Meh: Rev1

I don't include the original RE because I haven't played it since REmake came out, and I barely remember it.

Top Bottom