• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil Community |OT2| Best Fans Ever!

We makin' list now?

1. RE4
  2. RE2
  3. REmake
  4. RE6
  5. RE5
  6. Revelations 2
  7. RE0
  8. RE:Outbreak 2
  9. RE:Outbreak
  10. RE3
  11. RE:CV

To be honest, from 5 to Outbreak 2, they are more of a tie than anything. I honestly never got the apathy for RE0. It was fun and I enjoyed the story. The train section at the start is one of my most remembered sections.

gelf

OK list time. Writing this made me realise how location focused I am in my preferences.

1. REmake = RE1:Directors Cut. I love the mansion too much and it's hard to separate these two because I like different things. REmake is my favourite game aesthetically of all time and it's nice to have a bigger mansion but I miss things like the more complex relationship system in RE1. RE1 has better soundtrack too but I can mod that into REmake on PC anyway.

2. RE2. Police Station is a decent follow up to the mansion and it has the best lab in the series. Zapping system was great as the second scenarios offered more replay value acting kinda like an arrange mode too.

3. RE:CV. This has gone back up in my estimation. Tyrant on the plane is one of my favourite boss fights in the series and I like how large the areas to explore are.

4. RE4. Fun game, not what I want from RE but I can still enjoy it. I love the Merchant and the tension early on in the game when your more outmatched. Hate the island section.

5. RE3. It's the city setting, getting bored of fighting Nemesis and hating ammo crafting that puts this lower compared to other fixed camera RE. Still has it's great moments though. I like the multiple choice moments.

6. RE0. This one bothered me in many ways. Hated the enemy selection, didnt like the new item system, found the plot nonsensical and contraditory to RE1. Still need to replay as it may go up in my estimation now I might be less jaded then I was at release.

7. RE5. Bored me most of the way through. It's a linear shooter and it doesnt really matter how good it is at that gameplay as it's not something that appeals to me. Main enjoyment came from Wesker camping it up.

8. RE6. Barely played it, found it disorientating, hated the QTEs. I doubt it would hook me for the same reason as 5 anyway

Haven't played the others yet, I own both Revelations on Steam but am yet to play.

Wanderer5

Eh, I enjoyed the island part of RE4 very much. Maybe felt a bit weak in comparison to the awesome Castle area, but it still had plenty of really good moments, like pretty much all of the bosses, the laser hallway, and the lab area as a whole.

It's a bit convoluted but honestly not too hard to do. Tip for the last giggle that was discovered, if you pick up no bullets and then pick up the phone for the 5th giggle and then look at the doll, it works every time. Otherwise you need to go ghost spotting hunting.

I was wondering why the hell it wasn't working (just went ghost spotting then), but I was picking up bullets, so sheesh.:p

strafer

All I can say is that Resident Evil 5 is number 1 on my list, I love that game to death, and it made me a fan of Chris Redfield and helped me notice Roger Craig Smith as a voice actor.

Zaverious

Resident Evil 5 is my top favorite followed by RE6 and REmake. I replayed RE5 so many times and RE6 is my go to for Mercs and online play. I appreciate REmake for having me go back and play the other games in its style.

strafer

Sheva is bae

NHlKoHR.gif

RSB

Banned
All I can say is that Resident Evil 5 is number 1 on my list, I love that game to death, and it made me a fan of Chris Redfield and helped me notice Roger Craig Smith as a voice actor.
There's nothing weird about it being your favorite RE. RE5 is an amazing action game and probably the best co-op game of all time.

Zaverious

Resident Evil 5 is the game that got me into the lore of the franchise. I'd go back and play other games in the series and be on RE wiki and Project Umbrella all day.

Eh, not being able to move while aiming being stuck in RE4 controls years later is mine.

I remember it being one of critics main complaints about the game, especially since it came out over half a year after Dead Space. I honestly wonder wtf they were thinking when they went with that design choice.

kromeo

Eh, not being able to move while aiming being stuck in RE4 controls years later is mine.

I remember it being one of critics main complaints about the game, especially since it came out over half a year after Dead Space. I honestly wonder wtf they were thinking when they went with that design choice.

I think the majority of my deaths in 4 and 5 were from being frozen in place by the auto reload

Well, it's a deliberate tactical decision. If you notice, to offset this enemies slow down once they get closer and...wait...

especially since it came out over half a year after Dead Space.

...what?

GrayChild

OK, now that RE7 is basically out, can we start speculating/dreaming on who will lead RE8's development? What we do know is that no director or producer has lead two mainline games in a row.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Man.... I don't wan't to jinx it but based on the impressions I think RE7 will score really high. I am thinking 9-10/10.

I think it has a serious chance to be the best reviewing horror game of this generation so far, but being a horror game I think by nature some people won't like it as much. There's always those reviews that pop up for horror games that basically review it lower because... Well, the person doesn't like horror games or some of the staples horror fans like about horror games. Happens to every horror game these days.

For its competition of highest reviewed horror games with a high number of reviews, RE7 is against:

Until Dawn - 79 Metacritic
Outlast - 80 Metacritic
Alien Isolation - 81 Metacritic
SOMA - 84 Metacritic

I think RE7 stands a serious chance of being an 81-86 Metacritic, which is great for a horror game in this day and age. And I bet it'll get a number of 9s and 10s even. But I also think we'll see a lot of 8s, 7s, and some 6's.

Subjectivity, and all of that. Basically I suspect it may very well end up being the best rated horror game of this gen so far, but I doubt it'll crack a 90+ on Metacritic.

GrayChild

I want it to be the revelations 2 guy.

Last time I checked Anpo was busy with some design and programming work for REmake 2, so I guess he won't helm this one.

I'm not sure if Hiroshi Shibata (RE3.5) or Kazuhiro Aoyama (RE3) are still in Capcom, but they will be my most preferred choices.

RSB

Banned
OK, now that RE7 is basically out, can we start speculating/dreaming on who will lead RE8's development? What we do know is that no director or producer has lead two mainline games in a row.
I don't know who directed Rev1, but definitely not him. I don't want another mediocrity like that.

The director of RE5 would be my prefered choice, personally. Well, as long as we go back to the action style of course (it would be a shame to waste his talent on a game in the same style as RE7)

derFeef

I never understood the praise for Outlast. The repeating monster/hunt/hide sections were completely unfun after a while. It just got boring and predictable - hopefully RE7 won't have that problem.

OniBaka

I never understood the praise for Outlast. The repeating monster/hunt/hide sections were completely unfun after a while. It just got boring and predictable - hopefully RE7 won't have that problem.
I played it with a group of friends so it was fun seeing their reactions.

GrayChild

It's not about the actual hide&seek mechanic or running from the monsters. I always felt that Outlast simply didn't do enough with its solid base, both with the story and the gameplay. Hopefully 2 brings some variety.

I really liked Outlast, but I personally really like hide'n'seek games as long as they're good, and I think it was one of the best (well until Alien Isolation came along) It could certainly get old after a while, but for me it wasn't until the game was wrapping up anyway so eh (that last section was so awful tho). It's also totally tasteless and shameless, it's like a sequel to a Uwe Boll movie that Uwe Boll didn't even come back for. And premiered on the SyFy Channel.

And it had one of my biggest highlights in a horror game ever
seeing a humanoid figure flash for a second in the rainstorm and then you open a door and JESUS CHRIST WALRIDER

derFeef

Maybe one day I will finish it, but the encounters just soured me hard. It has amazing style though I agree. The production values and the gore are top notch.
edit: It's weird since I really do like stealth elements in horror games.

Im just going to credit the entire team as it was in order i'd want them for 8.

1. Revelations 2 team(with an actual budget)
2. RE5 team
3. Revelations 1 team
4. RE6 team

But realistically my hope for 8 would be a decent mix of all those:
RE6's over the top production value
Rev2's writing/plotline and characterization, co-op partners feeling unique
RE5's depth and general sense of climax
Rev1's strong atmosphere, a good chunk of it's soundtrack
RE4's more seamless feel, in-game merchant returns somehow

Character picks:
Chris & Jill(Rebecca as the HQ contact)[Action]
Barry & Moira[Horror-ish]

If we have to get Leon again, Ada needs to be a full partner the entire game.

dlauv

Outlast's AI is awful and the chase sequences get tiresome because there isn't much meat anywhere else.

I think I bailed when the
doctor
captured me, just to let me go, only to try and capture me again.

I really liked RE5, but it misses out on those intimate moments that the best games in the series have (there are a couple of parts that try to slightly) and single-player doesn't hold up nearly as well. Enemy feedback is less responsive than 4's, even though it's a bit of a wash because you can hit more areas for combos and the controls are snappier. And then the shooting enemies towards the end are just annoying to deal with. Pacing is great, I love the upgrade and treasure mechanics. The latter in particular was just so good and added so much.

kromeo

I'm replaying revelations 2 before I get 7, there's a lot of the last if us in it but I think it's really well done.

I just have 2 complaints, Moira for obvious reasons and having to change to Natalia constantly to check for items in the Barry half

If they make a 3 I hope they just release it as a full game but I guess they won't..

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
Lists! Mine has changed, last year was a good time to reassess with the 4-6 remasters

garbage-tier) CVx : Tedious, too long, too many dick moves, Steve. Some of the more interesting characters and back story wasted on the only RE mainline game I have no interest in replaying again
(large gap in quality here)
9) RE6 : Better than I first thought. Not the worst game of the series. Fun character action game with a bad campaign. I found Jake pretty unlikable. Those of us who played it at launch (before the QTE patch) know the struggle.
8) REV = Not bad. Lots of promise in Raid (still unfulfilled). I appreciate the attempts at atmosphere.
7) RE0 : Lovely, flawed.
6) RE3 : This game has grown so much in my estimation. I like the gunpowder & quick choices.
5) REV2 : Yes, I really do like it that much
4) RE5 : Improvement to the already great gameplay of 4. I love grinding for weapon upgrades. Taking this feature out of RE6 was one of the dumbest moves
3) RE2 : I think sentiment is a big part of it for me. The story is great, with a continuing twist on separate campaigns. Plus Ada and Sherry. A welcome expansion to the RE universe (back when it actually needed expanding)
1 & 2) RE4 = REmake

Top Bottom