• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil Community |OT2| Best Fans Ever!

Neiteio

My thoughts on random topics skimming the past page or so:

RE: Helena: I thought she was OK. Nothing special, but her quest to save her sister gave her humanity. Her two designs (the one in America and the one in China) both look cool. She's attractive while still feeling respectable. But again, I imagine she's quite forgettable for anyone who's not a fan of the series.

RE: Carla: Loved the transformation — reminded me of Tetsuo's mutation in Akira. I also like the idea of Simmons being so obsessed with Ada that he goes to such lengths to recreate her. So I guess I didn't mind Ada/Carla's involvement in the plot. Most interesting story thread in RE6 was definitely Chris and Piers, though. Or more precisely, Chris' angst over losing his men.

RE: Wesker in the live-action movies: Does he really become president? That sounds amazing, lol. Makes me want him back in the games so we can have President Wesker there, too. Just sew his head back on and treat his burns!

RE: Chris x Jill, Chris x Piers, etc: First, let me say I'm fine if they just keep him single and/or make it ambiguous. But certainly it'd be interesting to see Chris fall in love. We saw how much he cares for Jill in RE5 and RER; we saw how much he cares about his men in RE6. Straight or gay, I think it could be cool so long as it feels like a genuine emotional connection and not cheap thrills.

If they were to match him up, my heart wants Chris x Jill for the history they share, but my brain wants Chris x Piers (just bring him back somehow). The latter would be an incredibly progressive move for games.

RE: Dino Crisis reboot in the Resident Evil world: Oh man, zombie dinosaurs would be amazing!

RE: RE5 having the best cutscenes ever: Yeah, pretty much. I never tire of them. :)

joe2187

Banned
I loved Irving.

He had a very distinct VA that nailed it. His mannerisms and strange inflections were amazing.

"Yer making me look baaaAaaad!"

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
RE5's locations aren't really exciting to be honest (probably way below when I rank the RE environments), they all look the same. :/

Question

In the Aqua Ring in the REmake, does the big shark ever kill the player besides when he crosses between rings? Every time I get there, I run as fast as I can towards the door and enter it. But it just hit me: the door is slightly elevated so the two small sharks can't get me. But what if I stand there? The music suggests I need to move my ass ASAP.

Golnei

RE5's locations aren't really exciting to be honest (probably way below when I rank the RE environments), they all look the same. :/

They weren't as distinct and atmospheric as those in 4 or most of the pre-rendered games, but they still had some impact - it's been ages since I've played it, but the coastline setpiece, some of the swamp village, a few rooms in the temple and the central lab chamber all were fairly memorable.

If they were to match him up, my heart wants Chris x Jill for the history they share, but my brain wants Chris x Piers (just bring him back somehow). The latter would be an incredibly progressive move for games.

That's the problem, though - it'd be "progressive" for the sake of it, ignoring subtext built up over the entire series and completely derailing established characters to score some cheap political correctness points with the American audience. It's the definition of forced, unnecessary diversity - the idea that there needs to be Positive Gay Representation in a series, regardless of the story it's actually trying to tell. Resident Evil doesn't have fantastic characterisation, but I'd like to think they hold the series in higher regard than that.

RSB

Banned
That's the problem, though - it'd be "progressive" for the sake of it, ignoring subtext built up over the entire series and completely derailing established characters to score some cheap political correctness points with the American audience. It's the definition of forced, unnecessary diversity - the idea that there needs to be Positive Gay Representation in a series, regardless of the story it's actually trying to tell. Resident Evil doesn't have fantastic characterisation, but I'd like to think they hold the series in higher regard than that.
Chris being gay wouldn't feel forced at all, actually.

Chris being gay wouldn't feel forced at all, actually.

Tbh I'd think he's too married to the job but I could see him being Gay to.

I do hate they killed Piers the way they did...Jake or Helena should've died.

Probably Helena because she was pretty much useless while Leon/Ada kicked Simmons ass.

Jawmuncher

Question

In the Aqua Ring in the REmake, does the big shark ever kill the player besides when he crosses between rings? Every time I get there, I run as fast as I can towards the door and enter it. But it just hit me: the door is slightly elevated so the two small sharks can't get me. But what if I stand there? The music suggests I need to move my ass ASAP.

I know the smaller sharks won't. But the bug shark can. But it depends on the situation.

HeelPower

Tbh I'd think he's too married to the job but I could see him being Gay to.

I do hate they killed Piers the way they did...Jake or Helena should've died.

Probably Helena because she was pretty much useless while Leon/Ada kicked Simmons ass.

Yeah.

Its weird they killed the one character that actually had development and was directly involved with sorting out Chris' personal issues.

Piers is the best new character in the game and probably one of the best side characters in the series.

And they just killed him off so idiotically.Wasted opportunity.

Jawmuncher

Thinking about it. Resident Evil has a bad habit of killing characters just in general really. I'm amazed Carlos and Billy are still alive.

Vibranium

Banned
That's not how you spell Steve Burnside

Darkside Chronicles Steve was cool with his new and improved voice, but the original.....ugh......

Speaking of VA's Capcom really treat their classic English ones like crap. No Sally Cahill and Alyson Court is a damn shame. I am hoping they realize their mistake for RE2make but I doubt it... ;_;

Jawmuncher

Steve like Sherry would have been a cool character to see Grow up. He was 17 in CVX so let's say he's in RE6. He would be in his 30's by then.

HeelPower

Thinking about it. Resident Evil has a bad habit of killing characters just in general really. I'm amazed Carlos and Billy are still alive.

I AM SO SALTY ABOUT EXCELLA'S DEATH! She was the best queen of all time.The potential for a great new RE empress is now lost.

Thanks for haphazardly and carelessly killing her,Capcom!

latest

excella_gionne_psd_jpgcopy.jpg

tumblr_mgtubqadlz1rqdof9o2_250.gif

tumblr_mgtubqadlz1rqdof9o7_250.gif

tumblr_mx5cq3lwZO1sm3ztfo1_500.gif

Neiteio

Playing Revelations HD. It's my third playthrough. Love this game so much. <3

Just beat Scagdead and his army at the Promenade Deck. Used every single bullet and environmental hazard. Got trapped/grappled repeatedly and nearly killed multiple times.

Still the most intense setpiece I've experienced in the entire series, including RE4 and REmake. Scagdead on Promenade Deck = Pure panic.

Well it is technically a horror franchise. If anything I would say they're too shy about killing off the long-running cast members, which basically means fresh characters are either dramatic death fodder or forgotten about entirely later on in favor of continuing to emphasize the returning cast.

Golnei

Well it is technically a horror franchise. If anything I would say they're too shy about killing off the long-running cast members, which basically means fresh characters are either dramatic death fodder or forgotten about entirely later on in favor of continuing to emphasize the returning cast.

That's one of the ways it kind of diverges from established horror tropes pretty heavily - bringing back established characters to be killed off for shock value in a sequel is a well-worn cliche, yet in Resident Evil anyone who survives a game may as well be immortal. The cast is fairly well-liked and utilised at least relatively well when recurring characters and not forgotten one-offs are concerned, so I can see why it's the better decision for them. Still, a couple of dramatic deaths of established characters might keep things interesting, they can always keep them around in non-canonical modes and use them as incentives for DLC; which we've already seen with Wesker.

Neiteio

Resident Evil is more like a superhero soap opera with a horror skin. I don't think the series is obligated to kill off anyone for good. At least, not among the main cast.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
The characters age in 'real time' however, so I mean... They'll die eventually of 'natural' causes if they aren't killed off. It also seems Capcom is willing to let big names die, but just the writers of a project need to write them being killed off it seems.

Chris was originally supposed to die in RE6 I now, but they chickened out of it.

Neiteio

Wouldn't put it past Capcom to have Chris, Jill, Claire, Leon, etc, all walk into a chamber and then get hit with a new virus that makes them age in reverse back to their prime, and stay there. ;-)

Mr_Zombie

CAPCOM Japan also approved the Chinese comics where Ada gets tentacle raped and impregnated and Billy becomes a Super Saiyan. Approving the licensing of a product has nothing to do with canon.

Wasn't there also some sort of sex orgy at the end of RE Zero comic book? Or at least I remember Billy being hypnotized and Rebecca stripped of her clothes.

Man, reading that comic book was really weird. It was as if someone tried to write a story based on RE Zero demo and then went wild with any thoughts. Rebecca, Billy, train full of zombies and a huge scorpion were the only things taken from the game. The rest... it was some really weird shit.

Ludens

Banned
Started RE3, I forgot what a pain in the ass Nemesis was. He attacked me in the police station, in the lower floor right under Chris office. I mean, I heard a window crash, but I went into the corridor nearby. He attacked me here, with two dogs, and I had no space to move. Ok, I died, I reached that point again, and this time he attacked me right after you descend the stairs from Chris office, again crashing a window. At least I managed to run away.

RSB

Banned
Yeah.

Its weird they killed the one character that actually had development and was directly involved with sorting out Chris' personal issues.

Piers is the best new character in the game and probably one of the best side characters in the series.

And they just killed him off so idiotically.Wasted opportunity.
Gay characters aren't allowed happy endings, you know?

Nudull

Banned
I wonder if I should still bother with Operation Raccoon City. Thank to last year's Steam Halloween sale, it's now the only RE game from last gen (aside from Umbrella/Darkside Chronicles) that I haven't visited.

Seyavesh

I wonder if I should still bother with Operation Raccoon City. Thank to last year's Steam Halloween sale, it's now the only RE game from last gen (aside from Umbrella/Darkside Chronicles) that I haven't visited.

i would highly, highly recommend against it
it is really bad

man i still can't shake the feeling RE7 is gonna end up being knockoff 'the last of us' in the worst way possible thanks to their weird derivative approach and general fan feedback

strafer

i would highly, highly recommend against it
it is really bad

man i still can't shake the feeling RE7 is gonna end up being knockoff 'the last of us' in the worst way possible thanks to their weird derivative approach and general fan feedback

Revelations 2 already went that route.

Neff

If you really must play it, then play it for the RE aspect (done badly) alone.

When you take away its ties to the RE universe, you're left with an incredibly simplistic and poorly made game in its own right. It's impossible to recommend in any category.

sure there are
that kind of thing is supplemental to his character- he's not a lovesick puppy like leon.
he's a professional out on the job every time we see him and bringing that kinda shit up in the middle of what is going on in any game isn't really in line with how he's been presented.

hooking him up w jill loses the extremely unique 'war buddies' bond they got going on though so i'm actually highly against that
like seriously how many male/female leads in any form of media have gone on this long without being either familial or forced into some romantic garbage with each other

We won't see anything, the guy who did RE6 said they aren't allowed to have proper relationships or romance in the story. Which I guess is why everything we get between Ada and Leon nowdays is awkward and weird, and why we get the choking subtext in Revelations regarding Chris and Jill.

Get at least one buddy to play it through with, it was much better when played co-op. Also the Echo-Six campaign (which is DLC) is far better than the Wolfpack campaign. Far better.

The competitive MP was also decent, especially after the balance patch, the enemies interfering was really good and could swing battle outcomes. Though I've not played it for at least a year and I assume it's gotta be dead by now if not just a bunch of full parties vs randoms. Also the best MP mode was 360 exclusive.

The characters age in 'real time' however, so I mean... They'll die eventually of 'natural' causes if they aren't killed off. It also seems Capcom is willing to let big names die, but just the writers of a project need to write them being killed off it seems.

Chris was originally supposed to die in RE6 I now, but they chickened out of it.

Where can I find information pertaining to that??

Seyavesh

We won't see anything, the guy who did RE6 said they aren't allowed to have proper relationships or romance in the story. Which I guess is why everything we get between Ada and Leon nowdays is awkward and weird, and why we get the choking subtext in Revelations regarding Chris and Jill.

really?
what on earth was that sherry/jake thing in re6 then?
that does explain a lot though

Revelations 2 already went that route.

yeah, that's actually especially why i'm afraid of it because the stuff that it cribbed from TLOU actively worked against it

Golnei

yeah, that's actually especially why i'm afraid of it because the stuff that it cribbed from TLOU actively worked against it

Moira was used pretty well, though I agree that the 'stealth' sections were laughably bad and Barry's redesign really wasn't great. Still, if TLOU was what made them choose to focus on Barry at all, I think it's a net gain.

Manu

Sherry Birkin was also caught up in these events, but thanks to the heroic efforts of Leon Kennedy and Claire Redfield, she was able to survive the incident. Sherry considered Claire to be her new mother after losing both her parents. It was Claire's love and devotion that had the greatest impact on Sherry's development, and Claire's nurturing and compassionate ways have manifested themselves in Sherry's own personality. Sherry and Claire both led very busy lives, but Sherry still made an effort to try and meet when their schedules allowed it.

Below is an e-mail addressed to Claire, but accidentally sent to a co-worker.
---
Hey Claire,
I was able to get some days off at the end of next month when you said you'd be in America. I have so much I want to talk to you about. I can't wait to see you!

I'll send Ronny a message, too. I bet he'll be excited to hear you're coming back!

Heh, they mispelled "Rani" as Ronny. As in, the little kid from Degeneration.

I wish the localization team gave a fuck for a change.

Also, HOLY SHIT RANI IS A BOY?

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Piers was def the best new character and tied with Sherry for best character in RE6. Too bad
he died.

Nah, he's more like Saddler. Both are flim-flam men, Irving's just not playing as big of a game.

How is he more like Saddler? Irving and Salazar are both impish, irritating, man-baby things that are shit talk fodder. Except Irving didn't have an RE4 Leon to shit talk him.

Sadist

Don't do it. No seriously.

And Piers is cool. I would totally dig it if they bring him back. Piers the friendly BOW. But seeing how far the virus progressed at the end chances are slim.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
How is he more like Saddler? Irving and Salazar are both impish, irritating, man-baby things that are shit talk fodder. Except Irving didn't have an RE4 Leon to shit talk him.

Well, you are right to suggest that repeatedly attempting to trade quips with Chris "Mister Serious" Redfield was not time well spent.

But Salazar is a cultist. He buys the whole Los Illuminatos party line, ranting about the "sins" of his ancestors. For all his horsing around, he really believes in Saddler's "religion."

Saddler, though, has more pragmatic objectives that are worldly in nature--not mystical at all. He's a long-con grifter that aims high. In this sense, he and Irving aren't really different. Irving is only half-joking when he complains that Excella didn't give him the "good stuff." He is self-aware in a way that Salazar is not. When Irving says, "The BSAA...wow, you two are just on top of everything, aren't ya? The balance of the world is changing and you're completely oblivious to it," he isn't exactly wrong. This becomes, for better or for worse, a central theme in RE6--a global disruption, a shift in the balance, escalation of scale. Irving and Saddler are opportunists, not glassy-eyed cultists.

Irving and Salazar share some surface features, perhaps, but because Chris doesn't want to play along (as you point out), those similarities die there--on the surface.

Becky can move boxes, just not the heavy ones.

Yup, Becky can move the wooden crates just fine, only some specific metalic crates require Billy.

It's amazing how attached I am to these characters considering the overall writing quality in this franchise. It's a testament to their charisma.

Jawmuncher

It's a shame we never got another Old School RE game in the style of Zero. Zero isn't tightly crafted like some of the older titles. But I really like the two player mechanic it has.

Well, you are right to suggest that repeatedly attempting to trade quips with Chris "Mister Serious" Redfield was not time well spent.

But Salazar is a cultist. He buys the whole Los Illuminatos party line, ranting about the "sins" of his ancestors. For all his horsing around, he really believes in Saddler's "religion."

Saddler, though, has more pragmatic objectives that are worldly in nature--not mystical at all. He's a long-con grifter that aims high. In this sense, he and Irving aren't really different. Irving is only half-joking when he complains that Excella didn't give him the "good stuff." He is self-aware in a way that Salazar is not. When Irving says, "The BSAA...wow, you two are just on top of everything, aren't ya? The balance of the world is changing and you're completely oblivious to it," he isn't exactly wrong. This becomes, for better or for worse, a central theme in RE6--a global disruption, a shift in the balance, escalation of scale. Irving and Saddler are opportunists, not glassy-eyed cultists.

Irving and Salazar share some surface features, perhaps, but because Chris doesn't want to play along (as you point out), those similarities die there--on the surface.

RE characters are so shallow that they can essentially be broken down into motivation and surface details, and motivation certainly doesn't take precedence over personality and surface traits as far as defining characteristics for most of these guys. Irving may have different goals than Salazar...but that's just it, he's basically Salazar with different goals tailored to the different take over/destroy the world plot. And he's taller. He comes across as the same character type in a different role.

Not that that's necessarily a bad thing mind you, as the more over the top characters in RE5 are the more entertaining aspects of the story as they bring some much needed charisma and energy to the straight faced melodrama that occupies most of the game.

joe2187

Banned
It's a shame we never got another Old School RE game in the style of Zero. Zero isn't tightly crafted like some of the older titles. But I really like the two player mechanic it has.

REmake 2 with the character swapping mechanics from REV2. Play both scenarios in real time together.

Or would that not make sense?

I AM SO SALTY ABOUT EXCELLA'S DEATH! She was the best queen of all time.The potential for a great new RE empress is now lost.

Thanks for haphazardly and carelessly killing her,Capcom!

She has the best lines and the way she delivers her lines in Mercs Reunion

"I'll be there when I'm ready!", "Enough whining!", "Ha! Hmph!", "Very well", "Pleaasseeeeeee, pleasseeeeeeeee", "I need your help!", "Don't expect any thanks!", "I suppose I should thank you", "Mmm, excellent", "Bravo!", "I require first aid spray"

Pure gold!

Top Bottom