• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil Community |OT2| Best Fans Ever!

Helena was kind of throwaway for me. I want sheva back. Kind of dont care if Helena comes back.

Yeah, wouldn't mind seeing Sherry again as well, I liked her in 6 and it's just cool to see the little girl from RE2 kicking ass.
She needs to team up with Claire though, would be a huge missed opportunity if it never happened.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Helena was kind of throwaway for me. I want sheva back. Kind of dont care if Helena comes back.

There is absolutely no proof behind this, but I think Helena almost was Capcom's attempt to make a more likable Angela from Damnation.

Angela:
latest
61.jpg

Helena:
2108892-2108789_re6leon.jpg

They're both voiced by Laura Bailey, they're both officials in some form of protection/government agency who team up with Leon and forge some friendship, they both have some very similar character traits, both have a sibling that's then mutated and becomes a tragic victim (and both even die in a similar way, latching onto Angela/Helena, and then having to let them go to fall dramatically to their death).

There's a few other things, but I always took Helena almost to be like a re-take on trying to make an Angela-like character, and to be fair, I do like Helena more than Angela, but will admit out of the new characters in RE6, she was probably my least favorite personally.

Just do both and make Chris bi tbh

I kind of just take it that Chris is bi, Capcom seem more than aware of both the Chris x Jill shippers and Chris' large gay fanbase, I don't think Chris will ever get into any more sexual territory than showing concern for others (and fan service costumes), but bisexual seem the way to tackle that one (and the way they've been tackling it, if anything).

Which reminds me my endless amusement at Piers email you can unlock in Revelations 2, where he both makes a few apologies for his men's behavior of Claire visiting and makes a few sweeping flirting comments with her, but also injects that he heard Chris looked a lot different when he was younger and is asking if she could send him some pics of younger Chris. Almost seems like Piers is just Redfieldsexual at that point.

Junahu

Yeah, wouldn't mind seeing Sherry again as well, I liked her in 6 and it's just cool to see the little girl from RE2 kicking ass.
She needs to team up with Claire though, would be a huge missed opportunity if it never happened.
That's going to be a very awkward reunion, considering the crap she and Leon got forced into after Claire left.
RE2 spent a while establishing that Claire was a better mother for Sherry because she wasn't going to abandon her for anything. But then right at the end she's like, "ok that's done, gotta bounce. Still need to find my brother, so have fun with this stranger while I'm gone, sweetie"

Jawmuncher

To me Chris would be the biggest gaming character reveal of being gay and it not feeling force. It was cool of comics lately to do it, but it always felt forced to me. Oh Ice Man is gay, because we said so.

LOL Or you know, he could just be straight and has Jill in the friendzone.

He must have some high standards to put jill in the friendzone. Or she is a messy housemate or something.

That's going to be a very awkward reunion, considering the crap she and Leon got forced into after Claire left.
RE2 spent a while establishing that Claire was a better mother for Sherry because she wasn't going to abandon her for anything. But then right at the end she's like, "ok that's done, gotta bounce. Still need to find my brother, so have fun with this stranger while I'm gone, sweetie"

Well, the other options were giving up on finding her brother or taking Sherry with her on a very dangerous mission.
It would nice to get some backstory on that though. I like to think that after CV getting back to Sherry was her priority.

Golnei

For all the jokes people make about Piers and Chris, it's overwhelmingly unlikely that there was any serious intent to portray them as anything but straight, with a couple of humorous acknowledgements of the closeness of their platonic relationship. The lack of romantic subplots for Chris doesn't mean much when most lead characters in the series don't have their relationships focused on.

Dusk Golem

Sherry seems to look up to Claire in RE6 and wants to be like her to some degree if I remember correctly from the files. Resident Evil 6's files also mention that Claire kept constant contact with Sherry and visited her a lot.

Some files about Claire and the RE2 fallout in RE6:

Leon spoke very little of the incident afterwards. Government officials who heard of his survival tried to ask him about what happened out of curiosity, but he always avoided them. However, there was one high-ranking official that he did not avoid. Below are Leon's words as spoken to Adam Benford during a conversation they had years ago, before Benford became president.
---
I was just glad to have gotten out of there alive. It was all I could think about. Sure, my anger towards Umbrella helped get me through it, but it was only after I got out that I really started thinking about what I could do. It was hard for Claire and I to hold on to any kind of hope in a situation like that. I mean come on, I was just a rookie cop and she was a 19-year-old college student.

To tell you the truth, I even thought about ending it - several times, actually - with just a quick bullet to the head. But I didn't give up. Sherry needed me. She was a 10-year-old girl thrown into a hellish environment with monsters after her, so I had to pull myself together for her sake. She was our reason for not giving up - especially for Claire.

Dear Claire,

I've recently been ordered to go on a mission overseas, but I'm not allowed to say where or what it's about. I know you've always told me to stay away from this kind of stuff, and I know you were just worried about me, but it's the only choice I had. It makes me happy to know that I might be able to prevent others from ending up like I did. Even this mission I'm about to go on will make a difference.

You've always been so kind, but you don't have to worry. I won't do anything stupid. You saved my life, so I plan on keeping it for a long, long time.

Yours Truly,
Sherry

Sherry Birkin was also caught up in these events, but thanks to the heroic efforts of Leon Kennedy and Claire Redfield, she was able to survive the incident. Sherry considered Claire to be her new mother after losing both her parents. It was Claire's love and devotion that had the greatest impact on Sherry's development, and Claire's nurturing and compassionate ways have manifested themselves in Sherry's own personality. Sherry and Claire both led very busy lives, but Sherry still made an effort to try and meet when their schedules allowed it.

Below is an e-mail addressed to Claire, but accidentally sent to a co-worker.
---
Hey Claire,
I was able to get some days off at the end of next month when you said you'd be in America. I have so much I want to talk to you about. I can't wait to see you!

I'll send Ronny a message, too. I bet he'll be excited to hear you're coming back!

Following the Raccoon City Incident, the U.S. government decided to take Sherry Birkin into custody and keep her under observation because of the trace amount of the G-Virus that remained in her blood. Claire Redfield stayed by Sherry's side during the time she had to suffer through daily tests and experiments.

While it was Claire who provided emotional support, it was Derek Simmons who became her legal guardian.

Claire visited Sherry as often as she could, trying to help Sherry overcome all the trauma she had endured. Sherry idolized Claire, and was determined to be just like her: a strong, capable woman. Derek was not without compassion for the orphaned girl, and he allowed Claire, a civilian, to visit and comfort Sherry, even though the girl's existence was a closely guarded state secret.

In total, Sherry spent 11 years in the hands of the government. It wasn't until 2009 that she was given any freedom.

Below is a letter that Claire tried to send to Sherry during this time. The letter was intercepted, but never shown to Simmons. The person who found it sympathized with Sherry and Claire's situation, but couldn't allow it to go to Sherry, so he had it destroyed in secret.
---
Sherry,
I don't want to make things any harder for you, but I need you to be careful around Simmons. I know he's been supportive and let's me see you, but something's not right with him. I don't have any proof, but I know what people look like when they're hiding something, and I get that feeling every time I look into his eyes. You are so trusting of people, and it worries me. Please just be careful, for my sake.

I'll be busy, so I won't be able to come and see you for a little while. Keep being your cheerful self.

Seyavesh

I've said before that capcom needs to either have Chris gay or hook up with jill. There's no other options in my book.

sure there are
that kind of thing is supplemental to his character- he's not a lovesick puppy like leon.
he's a professional out on the job every time we see him and bringing that kinda shit up in the middle of what is going on in any game isn't really in line with how he's been presented.

hooking him up w jill loses the extremely unique 'war buddies' bond they got going on though so i'm actually highly against that
like seriously how many male/female leads in any form of media have gone on this long without being either familial or forced into some romantic garbage with each other

News Bot

Banned
I'll send Ronny a message, too. I bet he'll be excited to hear you're coming back!

This is one of the many goofy mistranslations in BIO6. There is no Ronny. It's "Rani", the little girl in Degeneration.

Junahu

Well, the other options were giving up on finding her brother...
That's ideally where her character arc was going. Claire grew from someone who needed to chase after her missing brother (who she discovers early on is probably okay and doesn't want Claire to chase him), into a person willing to put that aside to look after the people right in front of her who need her.

I would have been more fine with CV, if Claire actually rescued Chris. But she messed up enough to have Chris come bail HER out, which smacks of a painfully aborted arc and rendered her actions completely impotant.

strafer

Man, fuck Operation Raccoon City.

Saw the intro. Got control of some dude and played for 10 minutes.

Nope. Nope. Nope.

Not like this.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.

Nope. Nope. Nope.

Not like this.
Got it on sale. Biggest waste of 10 bucks ever.

Dusk Golem

Nope. Nope. Nope.

Not like this.

I have a strange curveball relationship with Operation Raccoon City, but it definitely shows off its worst traits right at the beginning, a forced tutorial section on how to do cover-shooting while shooting a lot of guards with guns.

I initially really hated Operation Raccoon City the first time I played it, and wasn't feeling it. I played with friends and got up to after the fight with Nemesis (end of third chapter, I believe?). I just did not like my time with it, and declared then and there it was my least favorite Resident Evil game, even more-so than Gun Survivor 2.

But then later, we tried playing it again months after, and though I didn't quite like it, I didn't hate it like my first time playing. It was ehhh, but I finished it and some of my strong dislikes (the shooting reaction and controls that felt wonky to me) for some reason I didn't feel the second time playing.

And then the kicker. I actually like the DLC campaign in Operation Raccoon City. It gets better as it goes along, but it had much better level design, much better lighting, music, new mechanics and enemies are nice, narrative, boss fights, a bigger focus on B.O.W.'s that was appreciated, gameplay scenarios... It's not like the best RE game out there, but I actually liked its fucking DLC campaign as did the people I played with far more than the main game, but it's such a tough recommend because it's still Operation Raccoon City, and its DLC you need to pay for on-top of the main game... If you see ORC on Steam on sale and decide to buy it, I heavily encourage people to buy the complete pack for a few bucks more.

I almost want to think Capcom stepped in some more after ORC released and helped develop the DLC, it feels more Resident Evil-like than anything in the main game at points, and feels much tighter designed and with better focus.

Jawmuncher

ORC is an ok game if you buy it for cheap and can play with friends. If you can't play with friends playing on easy helps out with a lot if it's flaws like bullet sponge enemies.

strafer

I have a strange curveball relationship with Operation Raccoon City, but it definitely shows off its worst traits right at the beginning, a forced tutorial section on how to do cover-shooting while shooting a lot of guards with guns.

I initially really hated Operation Raccoon City the first time I played it, and wasn't feeling it. I played with friends and got up to after the fight with Nemesis (end of third chapter, I believe?). I just did not like my time with it, and declared then and there it was my least favorite Resident Evil game, even more-so than Gun Survivor 2.

But then later, we tried playing it again months after, and though I didn't quite like it, I didn't hate it like my first time playing. It was ehhh, but I finished it and some of my strong dislikes (the shooting reaction and controls that felt wonky to me) for some reason I didn't feel the second time playing.

And then the kicker. I actually like the DLC campaign in Operation Raccoon City. It gets better as it goes along, but it had much better level design, much better lighting, music, new mechanics and enemies are nice, narrative, boss fights, a bigger focus on B.O.W.'s that was appreciated, gameplay scenarios... It's not like the best RE game out there, but I actually liked its fucking DLC campaign as did the people I played with far more than the main game, but it's such a tough recommend because it's still Operation Raccoon City, and its DLC you need to pay for on-top of the main game... If you see ORC on Steam on sale and decide to buy it, I heavily encourage people to buy the complete pack for a few bucks more.

I almost want to think Capcom stepped in some more after ORC released and helped develop the DLC, it feels more Resident Evil-like than anything in the main game at points, and feels much tighter designed and with better focus.

Alright, might give it a second chance someday. But man did it leave a bad first impression.

~Kinggi~

Banned
So im actually interested, how did RE get a dedicated community thread not in community? Are you all really the best fans ever? I must know the secretzzz

Zero-ELEC

Banned
So im actually interested, how did RE get a dedicated community thread not in community? Are you all really the best fans ever? I must know the secretzzz

Community threads start in Gaming and then get moved to Community, as I understand it. Same with OT that go on too long.

Jawmuncher

First thread was made ages ago. After contacting the mods they allowed us to make a new community thread that will stay on gaming side for a month before moving to community.

Dusk Golem

Alright, might give it a second chance someday. But man did it leave a bad first impression.

Keep in mind you shouldn't force yourself to play something if you dislike it, Operation Raccoon City is still in my lower entries if I had to rank the franchise. Just I know I personally had a strange curveball relationship with it. Obviously it should be played co-op I will add, I've only played it with others so that might help some.

I don't know how many people have played Operation Raccoon City's DLC campaign, it's about the same length as the main game (5-7 hours), but I want to know if I and my friends are just crazy. I've played Operation Raccoon City all the way through twice now (and played it three times, first time quit after Nemesis and then months later started from the top for recording). But while the main game really isn't anything special, there's a few kind of okay moments, but most of it is just ehhh, there's actually moments in the DLC I like a lot.

In the DLC I actually liked the sudden appearances of Nemesis in the first chapter, and the few chapters later boss fight with him in the factory was actually pretty good in my opinion. I really liked the sewer level where you run into Claire and William Birkin, and the new mechanic with darkness and flares and the infected zombies down there (I even like the part where you have to protect Sherry of all things). I actually liked the final chapter and final boss fight in the Spec-Ops campaign... I don't know, I haven't ever talked to anyone who's actually played Operation Raccoon City's DLC campaign outside of the people I played with, I'm just morbidly curious if I'm crazy for my opinion on this since I initially hated ORC, or if the DLC campaign is actually just legitimately leagues better than the main game.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
Keep in mind you shouldn't force yourself to play something if you dislike it, Operation Raccoon City is still in my lower entries if I had to rank the franchise. Just I know I personally had a strange curveball relationship with it. Obviously it should be played co-op I will add, I've only played it with others so that might help some.

I don't know how many people have played Operation Raccoon City's DLC campaign, it's about the same length as the main game (5-7 hours), but I want to know if I and my friends are just crazy. I've played Operation Raccoon City all the way through twice now (and played it three times, first time quit after Nemesis and then months later started from the top for recording). But while the main game really isn't anything special, there's a few kind of okay moments, but most of it is just ehhh, there's actually moments in the DLC I like a lot.

In the DLC I actually liked the sudden appearances of Nemesis in the main chapter, and the few chapters later boss fight with him in the factory was actually pretty good in my opinion. I really liked the sewer level where you run into Claire and William Birkin, and the new mechanic with darkness and flares and the infected zombies down there (I even like the part where you have to protect Sherry of all things). I actually liked the final chapter and final boss fight in the Spec-Ops campaign... I don't know, I haven't ever talked to anyone who's actually played Operation Raccoon City's DLC campaign outside of the people I played with, I'm just morbidly curious if I'm crazy for my opinion on this since I initially hated ORC, or if the DLC campaign is actually just legitimately leagues better than the main game.

The DLC is way better than the base game, you're not crazy. It's still super janky, but yeah.

Jawmuncher

The Spec Ops campaign really should have been part of the main game. Still to this day though I say the game had a bigger problem with bullet sponge enemies and other odd decision's over it's campaign mission structure.

Junahu

I didn't give the DLC a chance, after the free DLC mission was an uninspired romp through the same streets, with an awkward Jill cameo, and a tedious Nemesis fight.

Jawmuncher

I didn't give the DLC a chance, after the free DLC mission was an uninspired romp through the same streets, with an awkward Jill cameo, and a tedious Nemesis fight.

Doesn't help that as far as I know the DLC never went on sale on consoles ( I got it through the complete PC version on sale).

Dusk Golem

The DLC is way better than the base game, you're not crazy. It's still super janky, but yeah.

Yai, good to have some confirmation. I can only judge from what I played and friend's opinion who played with me since I haven't really met anyone before who had actually taken the time to play ORC's DLC campaign (and that's understandable), but having played through it twice now it's kind of weird going from the main game to the DLC since you kind of go through a ho-hum mediocre shooter, to something that feels like it actually has some good design and moments, and much more consistant. It still has ORC's flaws in it, it's not like the mechanics have changed (even if they do add in a few new gameplay mechanics and weapons and enemies and level mechanics and such), and it's not close to the best RE experience you'll have, but I strangely liked its DLC campaign. It does have jankiness certainly and some of ORC's flaws peek through into the DLC campaign obviously (and the first chapter is the chapter that feels like only a slight improvement over ORC and more the same before kind of differentiating itself), but good to hear it's not just me and my friends at the very least. Like if we had just some very fortunate good couple of times playing it that made us think it was better than it was or something.

The Spec Ops campaign really should have been part of the main game. Still to this day though I say the game had a bigger problem with bullet sponge enemies and other odd decision's over it's campaign mission structure.

It should have been certainly, and I do know what you mean somewhat by bullet sponge enemies (Lickers were the worst with this in that regard for me, those infected parasite zombies a close second), there are definitely some flaws the game has due to factors like this.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
I think ORC is fun with friends in a lulzy sort of way. IF you can get it for cheap and have people to play with, I think it's OK

Don't try to go it alone, though. Just... don't.

Jawmuncher

I think just a few things could have helped out ORC.

1. Spec Ops and USS campaigns on one disc.
2. Enemy and Player health scaled (Should have basically been Socom Resident Evil)
3. Better focus on the game being a "What-If" title. Rather than last minute kill or don't kill said hero.
4. More reliance on seeing RE2&3 moments from a different angle or better interaction with said character's from those games.
5. Redo the melee, it was pretty bad (Could probably be combined with #2)

This is coming from someone owning 3 copies of the game and beating it twice on each platform.

Dusk Golem

I think just a few things could have helped out ORC.

1. Spec Ops and USS campaigns on one disc.
2. Enemy and Player health scaled (Should have basically been Socom Resident Evil)
3. Better focus on the game being a "What-If" title. Rather than last minute kill or don't kill said hero.
4. More reliance on seeing RE2&3 moments from a different angle or better interaction with said character's from those games.
5. Redo the melee, it was pretty bad (Could probably be combined with #2)

This is coming from someone owning 3 copies of the game and beating it twice on each platform.

I will say something about point 3, that did create a great set-up in playing co-op with my friends where we all decided just to make a choice, they all sided with Leon and I sided to try and kill him, making it the three of them and Leon against me.

I was a terrible final boss.

I agree with pretty much everything, however.

strafer

In the DLC I actually liked the sudden appearances of Nemesis in the first chapter, and the few chapters later boss fight with him in the factory was actually pretty good in my opinion. I really liked the sewer level where you run into Claire and William Birkin, and the new mechanic with darkness and flares and the infected zombies down there (I even like the part where you have to protect Sherry of all things). I actually liked the final chapter and final boss fight in the Spec-Ops campaign... I don't know, I haven't ever talked to anyone who's actually played Operation Raccoon City's DLC campaign outside of the people I played with, I'm just morbidly curious if I'm crazy for my opinion on this since I initially hated ORC, or if the DLC campaign is actually just legitimately leagues better than the main game.

Is the game canon? If it is that might give me enough energy to get through it.

King Boo

i remember playing operation raccoon city in a starcraft use map setting game. couldn't believe it when the actual game got announced

Jawmuncher

I will say something about point 3, that did create a great set-up in playing co-op with my friends where we all decided just to make a choice, they all sided with Leon and I sided to try and kill him, making it the three of them and Leon against me.

I was a terrible final boss.

I agree with pretty much everything, however.

Yeah the idea toward the ending was cool, but could have been handled better. Once again bullet sponge was an issue with the game on a SP playthrough. I remember all times having to chip away at until he died. Was pretty lame. It's a problem when you have to rely on Vector's invisibility or Lupo's Invincibility to do things quickly. Aside from that the endings are so abrupt and relying on a sequel happening. I wonder if they would ever consider it. They sold well even with the reviews. Dunno what third party could handle it well, maybe Yager?

Dusk Golem

Is the game canon? If it is that might give me enough energy to get through it.

The official answer is parts of it are, parts of it aren't. (But it isn't)

However, there are a lot of fan-servicey moments through the game and its DLC. Without saying too much, between both the main campaign and the DLC campaign, you'll run into Leon, Claire, Sherry, William Birkin, Nemesis, Jill, Carlos, Nikolai, and so on, and you go to a few familiar recreations of Resident Evil locations and see a few events from RE2/RE3 from a different perspective.

How 'canon' 'parts of it' are as it all happens to be... Questionable, at best. There's some parts that aren't obviously (unless Leon after crashing a police car and separating from Claire was hunted down by a team of Umbrella mercenaries as a random example), but other moments are a bit more believable, but those are the parts that don't mean anything to anybody unfortunately. But there's fun references throughout... Like the only boss battle I like in the main game (not the DLC, which had much better boss battles) involves the Dead Factory and that one laser thing Jill uses to defeat Nemesis in RE3.

I do agree it might have been better if they went all-out and made it just a big hypothetical what-if scenario.

News Bot

Banned
It's official fan-fiction, tho! Like to the liberty and Rose Blank.

That's true.

I still can't quite get over how Mike Jones and Adam Boyd were flat-out liars in promoting the game. Kawata used the same descriptions that apply to Gaiden, the drama albums and the cell phone games. Those two outright said "it doesn't contradict." All it fucking does is contradict.

The official answer is parts of it are, parts of it aren't. (But it isn't)

However, there are a lot of fan-servicey moments through the game and its DLC. Without saying too much, between both the main campaign and the DLC campaign, you'll run into Leon, Claire, Sherry, William Birkin, Nemesis, Jill, Carlos, Nikolai, and so on, and you go to a few familiar recreations of Resident Evil locations and see a few events from RE2/RE3 from a different perspective.

How 'canon' 'parts of it' are as it all happens to be... Questionable, at best. There's some parts that aren't obviously (unless Leon after crashing a police car and separating from Claire was hunted down by a team of Umbrella mercenaries as a random example), but other moments are a bit more believable, but those are the parts that don't mean anything to anybody unfortunately. But there's fun references throughout... Like the only boss battle I like in the main game (not the DLC, which had much better boss battles) involves the Dead Factory and that one laser thing Jill uses to defeat Nemesis in RE3.

None of it is canon. At all. Under any circumstances.

Dusk Golem

That's true.

I still can't quite get over how Mike Jones and Adam Boyd were flat-out liars in promoting the game. Kawata used the same descriptions that apply to Gaiden, the drama albums and the cell phone games. Those two outright said "it doesn't contradict." All it fucking does is contradict.

None of it is canon. At all. Under any circumstances.

I know, I've played the game twice, but my response was to sort of toy with the suggestion that it might be canon like they tried suggesting. But I think parts of it they tried to design it to be hypothetically possible, but completely drop it in other parts, and I think they should of just dropped all pretext of it being canon in any way. They have sort of far-fetched suggestions on why certain scenarios might happen (IE, why in the blue hell Nemesis might attack USS). It's obviously a load of crock, but you can see in parts of them trying to make it possible, even if it fails. Thus, should of been better to go all out and make something completely non-canon without pretext of 'parts' of it trying to be canon (or trying to make any sense, for that matter).

News Bot

Banned
I know, I've played the game twice, but my response was to sort of toy with the suggestion that it might be canon like they tried suggesting. But I think parts of it they tried to design it to be hypothetically possible, but completely drop it in other parts, and I think they should of just dropped all pretext of it being canon in any way.

It's best not to toy with the suggestions of liars. Not a single part in the game is even hypothetically possible to be canon.

CAPCOM Japan also approved the Chinese comics where Ada gets tentacle raped and impregnated and Billy becomes a Super Saiyan. Approving the licensing of a product has nothing to do with canon.

Jawmuncher

I still feel the best part of the game was stuff like the Nikloai Boss Battle. A nice extra battle that from my recollection wouldn't affect RE3 canon.

DedValve

Banned
What are the odds we ever see Sheva again?

By and away one of my favorite characters. Sherry also had such a great design.

EDIT:

I'm a huge fan of the RE girls but for some reason Helena didn't do much for me.
Best looking for me is Sheva followed by Ada.
I've always had a thing for Claire, there's just something about her, a certain charm if you will.
With Jill it depends on the game lol, they just change her too much, something in her RE3 face always felt off to me and Revelations is just lol.
She's amazing in REmake and 5 though.

Leon and Ada really need to get it on btw, the sexual tension in RE6 went beyond breaking point.

My brother, same sentiments.

I would accept the compromise.

Bisexuality isn't a compromise.

but I really want gay chris

Top Bottom