• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil Community |OT2| Best Fans Ever!

Ludens

Banned
Man I'm dying a lot in RE3. What the hell, I didn't remember the game was so hard. I mean, it's not that hard (even on hard), but:

-zombies respawn
-strange monsters respawn too (can't remember the name, those similar to insects)
-NEMESIS is always behind me. Really. He is superfast so he always manage to hit me at least once. Plus the game trick you really easily, like I escaped a Nemesis fight and two screens after the ground collapsed and I was forced to face the worm.

Really, you are plenty of ammo etc, but there are ton of enemies too, and Nemesis really always show up when he doesn't.

Anyway I just took the tram, how much until the end of the game? Can't remember.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Excella was trash. im glad she died.
Her original design was much better.

resident_evil_5_conceptart_hsBI6.jpg

Ludens

Banned
You're halfway through.

Gah, I thought I was missing like two locations (I remember the Clock Tower and the Lab, or something like that).
Really, RE3 is a backtracking party, even more compared to the other game. Also I hate sometimes the game won't tell you if an item will be used again or not, like with the zippo, lockpick, the second crank, stars card.

TreIII

Resident Evil is more like a superhero soap opera with a horror skin. I don't think the series is obligated to kill off anyone for good. At least, not among the main cast.

It really is. Frankly, I'm still surprised they actually went ahead and killed off Albert.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Valentine is basically a superhero after RE5. They can do whatever they want with her. She nearly has Wesker powers. Super reflexes, running up walls and shit.

Could probably even justify not aging her at this point.

I think they probably want to write her out. But they basically made her the strongest character by killing Wesker. She has super powers. lol.

Neiteio

Valentine is basically a superhero after RE5. They can do whatever they want with her. She nearly has Wesker powers. Super reflexes, running up walls and shit.

I think they probably want to write her out. But they basically made her the strongest character by killing Wesker. She has super powers. lol.
Yep. I was reading Jill's (very lengthy) file in RE5, and it says the remnants of vaccinated T-virus in her body (from RE3) changed her and allows her to produce antibodies to it and other viruses. She is biologically different from other humans now. They can do pretty much anything they want with her and justify it with "well she is a superhuman." And that's fine with me. Although I'd like Jill to dye her hair back to its original color sometimes!

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.

Yep. I was reading Jill's (very lengthy) file in RE5, and it says the remnants of vaccinated T-virus in her body (from RE3) changed her and allows her to produce antibodies to it and other viruses. She is biologically different from other humans now. They can do pretty much anything they want with her and justify it with "well she is a superhuman." And that's fine with me. Although I'd like Jill to dye her hair back to its original color sometimes!
Jill for the real Parasite Eve sequel

DVCY201

I'm pretty sure Sherry and Jake are the superheroes going off of RE6. Jill has the excuse to be one, but she's never been used post-RE5 timeline

Zero-ELEC

Banned

The super powers came from the thing that was keeping her under mind control, not her. Her only "super power" is having the worlds most powerful immune system, to the point that special viruses (those based on the Progenitor, at least) have weird effects on her, with random pigmentation loss in skin and hair.

SolVanderlyn

I really wonder when we're going to hear about RE7. Not even a peep from Capcom almost 4 years after RE6.

Mr_Zombie

I find funny Rebecca can't move a box while Sherry, a 12 years old girl, can do the same.

I find it funnier that Billy is the only character in the entire series that can't mix herbs. I know that Capcom had to give Rebecca some perks, otherwise she would be a completely inferior character in the game (has less health, shoots worse, can't push heavy things and to top it all, can't play piano) but making Billy unable to mix herbs was just weird.

Evolved1

The super powers came from the thing that was keeping her under mind control, not her. Her only "super power" is having the worlds most powerful immune system, to the point that special viruses (those based on the Progenitor, at least) have weird effects on her, with random pigmentation loss in skin and hair.
I'm probably wrong, but I thought the thing keeping her under mind control was separate from all the testing Wesker did on her. Wasn't he fine with killer her to perform some test, and then when none of it was actually killing/mutating her, he just rolled with it? I thought he went with mind control after he buffed her?

I swear I read that, or something to that effect....

Neiteio

I'm probably wrong, but I thought the thing keeping her under mind control was separate from all the testing Wesker did on her. Wasn't he fine with killer her to perform some test, and then when none of it was actually killing/mutating her, he just rolled with it? I thought he went with mind control after he buffed her?

I swear I read that, or something to that effect....
Here's an excerpt from Jill's file in RE5:

On November 23, 2006, Jill Valentine was officially declared dead, and her name was added to the list of BSAA members who died in the line of duty.

But Jill’s story did not end there.

The fall did not kill Jill nor Wesker. Though badly hurt and unconscious, Jill was saved by Wesker. After giving her the medical treatment she required, he placed her in a cryogenic sleep. Once the Uroboros Plan was finalized, Wesker intended to use her as the first test subject.

This was Wesker's way of exacting his revenge.

Fortunately for Jill, luck was on her side.

The apparatus monitoring her vital signs detected
some abnormalities. Something was happening inside
Jill's body, and Wesker’s curiosity was piqued.
Further investigation showed that a mutated form of the T-Virus was still inside her body. It was a remnant from her infection in Raccoon City.

The cure she was given was supposed to have eradicated all traces of the virus in her body, but instead it caused the virus to go into a dormant state. Her extended period in a cryogenic sleep somehow reactivated the virus.

Shortly after being reactivated the T-Virus completely disappeared from her body, but it left something else in its place. Wesker found that Jill's body now contained powerful antibodies to the virus.

All those years the T-Virus was inside her body forced it to develop a defense system that was nothing short of miraculous.

This discovery would help further Wesker's ambitions.

The development of the Uroboros Virus, the centerpiece of the Uroboros Plan, had proven to be quite difficult.

The Uroboros Virus developed from the Progenitor flower proved to be too poisonous to humans to be of much use. Instead of spurring the next step in human evolution, it only invited death.

Wesker theorized that using Jill's antibodies could make the virus less poisonous. He kept Jill alive solely to produce antibodies for his research.

Jill, who had reviled bioweapons and devoted her life to eradicating them, was ironical being used to develop the most terrible bioweapon of all.

After much research and experimentation, Wesker finally perfected the Uroboros Virus. Jill's participation in its development meant she was no longer a suitable test subject. Pure and unadulterated antibodies with high resistance to the virus permeated her body.

Wesker decided he would find a suitable use for her elsewhere.

During the research into the Progenitor virus, an ancillary chemical was discovered. The researchers referred to it as simply - P30. When administered to test subjects, it would not only give them superhuman strength, but also rendered them highly susceptible to control.

P30 was the ultimate performance enhancer.

The aim of the Uroboros Plan were to create a new breed of humans, so P30's application in this plan was inconsequential. However, for the time being it could be marketed as a product and garner additional funding.

Research into creating the ultimate soldiers who didn't resist orders was carried out simultaneously on Las Plagas and P30. Unfortunately, the latter had a severe drawback.

The effects of P30 would only last for a very short time.

An injection of P30 was metabolized and expelled by the body at an expeditious rate requiring administration of the drug at frequent intervals. This greatly lessened the viability of such a product as a long-term performance enhancer. The only counter to such a drawback was to attach a device to the subject that would continually administer the drug.

While P30's effects were brief, it was still a powerful and effective drug.

The effects of continual administration were untested, as in order to research this aspect further an administration device was attached to Jill.

An external device was attached to Jill's chest that would continually administer the drug to her body. With her freewill constantly being usurped, she remained a servant to Excella and Wesker until Chris and Sheva destroyed the administration device.

Note the part that says: "When administered to test subjects, it would not only give them superhuman strength, but also rendered them highly susceptible to control."

So it seems P30 was the source of her superhuman strength. But her superhuman immune system came from the way her body adapted to the remnants of the vaccinated T-virus.

Doesn't change the fact they could still do whatever they want with her on the grounds of "she's different now," though.

Evolved1

Note the part that says: "When administered to test subjects, it would not only give them superhuman strength, but also rendered them highly susceptible to control."

So it seems P30 was the source of her superhuman strength. But her superhuman immune system came from the way her body adapted to the remnants of the vaccinated T-virus.

Doesn't change the fact they could still do whatever they want with her on the grounds of "she's different now," though.
Yeah, takes a lot of wind out of the sails though.

Thanks for posting.

Rean

Really? Thats interesting that they turned something like that into actually helping her in the future. They kinda did the same thing with Sherry and Jake in RE6 too.

SolVanderlyn

Really? Thats interesting that they turned something like that into actually helping her in the future. They kinda did the same thing with Sherry and Jake in RE6 too.
It makes the motivations of the villains in the series make a lot more sense when the virus is beneficial at times.

HeelPower

Speaking of Excella. Did everyone see "Jessica's Report?" It was part of the Japan-only "Revelations Report" DVD. It features a conversation between Excella and Jessica.

Here's the video (courtesy of biohaze)

...as well as Project Umbrella's text translation.

Good stuff.

That's pretty great.These kinds of details are the most interesting aspects of REverse yet they don't get enough exposure.

Her original design was much better.

resident_evil_5_conceptart_hsBI6.jpg

No it wasn't.Phew, glad they didn't go with this.

Hope your favorite RE character is deemed trash and dies ;_;
She has the best lines and the way she delivers her lines in Mercs Reunion

"I'll be there when I'm ready!", "Enough whining!", "Ha! Hmph!", "Very well", "Pleaasseeeeeee, pleasseeeeeeeee", "I need your help!", "Don't expect any thanks!", "I suppose I should thank you", "Mmm, excellent", "Bravo!", "I require first aid spray"

Pure gold!

Yup she's fantastic.

Playing as her in mercenaries reunion is the only consolation we got.

Astral Dog

EXCELLAAAAA!!!!!!!

Wasn't there also some sort of sex orgy at the end of RE Zero c
omic book? Or at least I remember Billy being hypnotized and Rebecca stripped of her clothes.

Man, reading that comic book was really weird. It was as if someone tried to write a story based on RE Zero demo and then went wild with any thoughts. Rebecca, Billy, train full of zombies and a huge scorpion were the only things taken from the game. The rest... it was some really weird shit.
whaaaat

Can you use the gamepad on the eshop version of RE4?

If you go to RE4 in the eShop, Under the "Compatible Features/Accessories" section, it says

"The following controllers may improve your enjoyment of the game.

Wii U Gamepad
Wii Remote Plus + Nunchuk"

I don't know if that's just generic text for all eShop games. And if it isn't, I still don't know if it means RE4 supports the Gamepad. Would be cool, though.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
It'll be interesting if we had an RE starring Sherry as a child and being chased by zombies and she can't use weapons (or at least very weak weapons)... Kinda like Siren or Haunting Ground. Now that'll be real survival horror.

kuYuri

It'll be interesting if we had an RE starring Sherry as a child and being chased by zombies and she can't use weapons (or at least very weak weapons)... Kinda like Siren or Haunting Ground. Now that'll be real survival horror.

We kinda sorta had that with Revelations 2 "Little Miss" bonus episode.

Neiteio

Random Song Lyrics With Resident Evil:

Lean on me
When you're not strong
And I'll be your friend
I'll help you carry on
For it won't be long
'Til I'm gonna need
Somebody to lean on

rer1-leanonmentq9x.jpg

In the navy
Yes, you can sail the seven seas
In the navy
Yes, you can put your mind at ease
In the navy
Come on people, fall an' make a stand
In the navy, in the navy
Can't you see we need a hand

rer1-inthenavyidqet.jpg

I want to share an anecdote regarding the Remake.
The first time we played it with a friend on Gamecube we did not know Crimson Heads were called that.

After it scared the hell out of both of us during the first encounter, we decided to call Crimson Heads : Irishmen

Why?
Because we found they looked like disheveled, drunken Irishmen who will throw up on you and grab you because they had a drink too much.

To think of it, this funny nickname was certainly a way of handling the anxiety caused by this monster but it stuck.

So my personal part of the RE lore is that in my dimension Crimson Heads are called Irishmen.
I just wanted to share that with the RE community.

Random Song Lyrics With Resident Evil:

Lean on me
When you're not strong
And I'll be your friend
I'll help you carry on
For it won't be long
'Til I'm gonna need
Somebody to lean on

rer1-leanonmentq9x.jpg

I so hope Parker comes back in a future game. He and Jill were great together IMO.

Something tells me he's going to be Carlos'd though.

Neiteio

I so hope Parker comes back in a future game. He and Jill were great together IMO.

Something tells me he's going to be Carlos'd though.
Yeah, I hope Parker comes back. He was an instantly lovable character.

And I know this next part will be more divisive, but I'd like to see Keith and Quint come back, too. They were an odd couple — the street-savvy guy with the tats and hip-hop vibe, and the dweebish egghead — but you could tell they're close friends who appreciate each other deeply, and I felt like they gave the game that extra bit of heart.

Also, Quint gave me my avatar, a debt I can never repay!

Love this screenshot <3
resident_evil_revelatkkuqo.png

Survival horror, ladies and gentlemen ;-)

Golnei

XNALara is a great tool, but it spawned some horrifying fanarts.

I think SFM was the real breakthrough in terms of allowing people to animate their artistic visions - creative pioneers like StudioFOW could have never come about purely with XNALara. Though Resident Evil's popularity also tends to lead it towards having models adapted for other settings, like the avalanche of related Skyrim mods and fan animations which utilise them.

Capcom should let Platinum do a Jill Valentine cuhrayzee action game. It could be the spiritual successor to the version of RE4 that eventually became DMC.

Golnei

Capcom should let Platinum do a Jill Valentine cuhrayzee action game. It could be the spiritual successor to the version of RE4 that eventually became DMC.

Wesker himself would be a justifiable focus for a RE character action game as well, but Jill post RE5 would give them a lot more freedom. It could be the glorious offspring of RE6 and Vanquish gameplay-wise.

Neiteio

Haha, found this in the Steam Community for RER2:

D36F7A30A58BE66DB31E5F6906B0AED355E7167B

EDIT: And this:

839EB2BA40220ADB322E27FEB559C5774E4C7D3D

EDIT: And Moira and dem eyes:

70027EE869F781A86F9E0CD82E194B8C03D042D7

EDIT: Oh and this is cool

2AE5EC65C2EB9643AC7A0F5A4137CEFFFC49DFEF

I'll stop now

News Bot

Banned
Heh, they mispelled "Rani" as Ronny. As in, the little kid from Degeneration.

I wish the localization team gave a fuck for a change.

Also, HOLY SHIT RANI IS A BOY?

There's no gender pronoun used in the Japanese file, so the translators, for no reason at all, winged it and used male pronouns in the translation. The translators on this series are a long-running 20 year joke. I've never seen another series suffer so many translation errors so consistently.

There's not much special about Jill except that she carries a potent antibody against the t-Virus. The vaccine she received in Raccoon City was designed against the mass-produced virus, however she was infected with a strengthened version of it due to the Nemesis-T Type's secretions. Same virus, just stronger. So the vaccine didn't eradicate all traces of it, it just went dormant. In that state, her immune system adapted and created an antibody that then eradicated the virus completely once it caused the V-ACT effect. She's not like Sherry, who has some superhuman qualities due to the G-Virus adapting to her body. The t-Virus never adapted to Jill, she adapted to it.

That file is actually mistranslated too. The Japanese text has more information, the English text actually omits the reason behind why Jill was used as a P30 test subject to begin with.

Then the Uroboros Virus was completed.
Jill became unnecessary but was unsuitable as a test subject for the Uroboros Virus.
Her body was full of virus antibodies with high purity.
Therefore, Wesker decided to use her for something else.

There was a drug produced as a by-product of Progenitor Virus research.
The drug didn't have a full name and was merely called "P30" among researchers.
If this is administered, a test subject can acquire superhuman capabilities and be controlled at the same time.
In other words, it's a kind of doping.
The Uroboros Project's purpose was evolution toward a new human race.
In this sense, the existential value of this drug was low.
But it could be usable as a product.

Therefore, "P30" research was continued alongside the "Plaga Project" to create the most powerful soldier who similarly never rebels, but there was a large fault.
Effectiveness time was extremely short.
A strong point was that after-effects barely remained if it were metabolized and discharged out of the body, but its effectiveness time was too short and it wasn't marketable as a product.
Then, continuous administration of the drug through an external device was devised.

Although its effectiveness time is short, there's no difference in the powerful drug.
However, it's unknown whether continuous administration causes damage to the body.
In order to find out, they decided to use Jill as a test subject.

The external device attached to her chest continued administering the drug to Jill on an ongoing basis.
It continued to erode her mind and kept her alive as Wesker and Excella's "toy" until the hour her ex-partner Chris set the spell free.

Jill may actually be worse off after BIO5. She could end up with cancer and they'd still have perfect justification for it, even if it's a bad plot. Also, the device is placed on her chest because if it were injected anywhere else, it would be metabolized before having any effect. By piggybacking on the heart, it reaches the rest of the body quickly for immediate effect, but since it's still metabolized quickly, the device was used for continuous administration. The "sexy" factor is incidental.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
The "sexy" factor is incidental.

Nnnnot really. The "sexy" factor was obviously intentional from a meta perspective. Perhaps in universe, kinda, but it's obvious it was intentional. (See wetsuit Jill from REv)

But yeah, like I said, Jill's superpower is being strong against the t-Virus. Additionally, she was also injected with the t-Abyss vaccine, and who knows how that interacted with her antibodies?

Top Bottom