• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil Community |OT2| Best Fans Ever!

This thread reminded me of a guy I knew in high school who called himself a huge Resident Evil fan but was actually primarily a fan of the live-action films and had only actually played one of the games, RE4.

One day I carried my copy of Outbreak with me to class because I was bringing it over to a friend's after school. During class while shuffling my binders out of my backpack, the guy noticed the copy of the game in there, and said "Oh I love that game! It's the one based off Apocalypse." (Apocalypse being the second live action film)

I corrected him and told him the games aren't even remotely based off the movies. He insisted I was wrong and told me he had seen the announcement and everything. It bugged the hell out of me. How can you possibly be this wrong? lol
you should stab him with a T-Virus needle.

kogasu

This thread reminded me of a guy I knew in high school who called himself a huge Resident Evil fan but was actually primarily a fan of the live-action films and had only actually played one of the games, RE4.

One day I carried my copy of Outbreak with me to class because I was bringing it over to a friend's after school. During class while shuffling my binders out of my backpack, the guy noticed the copy of the game in there, and said "Oh I love that game! It's the one based off Apocalypse." (Apocalypse being the second live action film)

I corrected him and told him the games aren't even remotely based off the movies. He insisted I was wrong and told me he had seen the announcement and everything. It bugged the hell out of me. How can you possibly be this wrong? lol

Bit unrelated to the thread, but this reminds me how I also knew a guy back in high school who was a "video game fan" and he just loved the supposed original Silent Hill book that the game was based on. Also he insisted that Cradle of Filth did the soundtrack to Castlevania. Uh huh, riiiiiiiiight...

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
You and me:

tumblr_nk53rvcSDC1qdxux9o4_250.gif

EYE OWE YEW ONE!
"Thanks partna!"

Soodanim

I would really love it if they revisited Outbreak. It was the right game with good ideas at the wrong time.
I always thought that Outbreak 1/2 were a generation too early. As a downloadable on PS3 they would have done much better. I loved the different characters and their unique abilities, and how that encouraged teamwork. Not to mention the fact that you could split up. That was great. Let's also not forget that it popularised the ”D-pad for tank, analogue for free" movement system brought back with REmake HD (I don't know if RE2 N64 let you do both at once).

I had some very good times with Outbreak 2 (UK, so no OB1 online here).

I always enjoyed the OB1 intro too, so good.

cvxfreak

Has anyone figured out if the North American version of RE4 Wii on the Wii U eShop works with the Gamepad? The PAL one definitely doesn't, but info on the NA one is difficult to come by.

Neiteio

I decided to play some RE6 tonight.

Took me a while to shake off the rust, following my own guide, but after three rounds on Urban Chaos, I'm starting to relearn how to play. The gunplay feels surprisingly good (I say "surprisingly" because the narrative on GAF at the moment is that it's weak). And there's something tremendously satisfying about seeing zombies dissolve as you gun them down, or popping their heads off with a roundhouse kick, or delivering an elbow drop as Helena, or a running jump kick as Sherry, or sniping three dogs in a row with quick shots, or sliding past a firefighter and spinning around mid-slide to shoot the oxygen tank on its back. The list goes on and on.

I like how Mercs in RE6 starts out very slow, with hardly any enemies around, so you can remember the controls. I also like how the time extensions are plentiful and add generous amounts of time, although the scoring is scaled accordingly.

I replayed the Prologue, too. Not as bad as I remember it. The worst part is the first half where pushing any direction will make you move forward. The second half is more or less Heavy Rain levels of QTEs. But if you go in expecting this and just accept it as a funhouse ride, it's an OK time.

I then jumped ahead into the final chapters of Leon's campaign — namely, the level where Leon and Helena are chasing "Ada" through the warehouse, before the tense standoff with Chris and Piers. This level reminds me of how random this game can be. Running and sliding under lasers to reach an elevator... Fending off roombas rigged to explode (which you can thankfully defeat by simply brushing against and running away)... A jog up a stairwell that for some reason has fixed camera angles like classic RE, and on that stairwell only... All of this, punctuated with a room full of ammo crates and a room full of treasure. It's fun variety, but I sometimes wonder if they're too ambitious throwing something new at you every other scene.

Also, Leon and Helena have amazing hair.

And while she's totally a wet blanket, Helena's Lanshiang design is top-notch:

re6-helenalanshiang8ckmo.jpg

Might be a bit late, but you don't have to go through Barry's Episode 3, just Claire's. Other way around with Episode 4, as well.

Just in case you didn't know.

Yeah that's what I did but thanks for the heads up anyways! Turns out there is a screen prompt to switch characters on screen at all times during the
Neil boss battle.
No reason to do it if you're unaware of the endings and don't suck at button mashing though!

Seyavesh

I would really love it if they revisited Outbreak. It was the right game with good ideas at the wrong time.

i would love to see outbreak done again
the crappy games-as-a-service trend actually fits it really well too, so i guess it's not too wild of a thought to see a new outbreak in that vein
in general it's probably the most interesting and unique old RE with expansions on a lot of concepts between the various character mechanics, randomization of items, the scenario types, the infection mechanic...
there's a lot of great stuff in there that never feels pointless

Akiller

Hi guys.
I heard Rev1 is on sale on Nintendo eshop, i'm tempted to get it there just For the handheld/OFF-TV option,is it good?
Otherwise i'll wait For a PC sale.

I'm trying to slowly get into the Series, first 3 games Will be an hard task since horror really scares me and i have bad memories related to first REs since i was a kid: i remember when i watched a friend of mine playing it, i Got really scared and i was almost getting the fuck out of there rofl.

Hi guys.
I heard Rev1 is on sale on Nintendo eshop, i'm tempted to get it there just For the handheld/OFF-TV option,is it good?

I'm trying to slowly get into the Series, first 3 games Will be an hard task since horror really scares me and i have bad memories related to first REs since i was a kid: i remember when i watched a friend of mine playing it, i Got really scared and i was almost getting the fuck out of there rofl.

It is a good game. I preferred it to the 2nd one as it felt like it had a bigger budget and I enjoyed the cruise ship location. The story is a little non-sensical at times and a lot of peole hated the action orientated chapters (which featured separate characters and locations to the main sections) but I actually thought they were enjoyable. It does have its tense/ scary moments but isn't a patch on the original 3 in that sense. A solid 7.5-8/10 game I'd say.

Neiteio

Hi guys.

I recommend Rev1. It has a fun adventure movie feel that reminds me of something Stephen Spielberg would've made in the late '80s or early '90s. Remember that you can quickly stun enemies by shooting both of their arms, and then you can run up to them to charge and unleash a melee attack. Also note that if you switch to classic controls, it will control like RE4, with the addition of strafing via L1 — very nice! I personally adore Rev1, and having just played the HD version (on PS3, in my case), it was a great time.

I recommend Rev1. It has a fun adventure movie feel that reminds me of something Stephen Spielberg would've made in the late '80s or early '90s. Remember that you can quickly stun enemies by shooting both of their arms, and then you can run up to them to charge and unleash a melee attack. Also note that if you switch to classic controls, it will control like RE4, with the addition of strafing via L1 — very nice! I personally adore Rev1, and having just played the HD version (on PS3, in my case), it was a great time.

I played through the whole game the first time without even realising the charge melee attack existed lol!

Yeah, the cue is when they lean over with their second mouth hanging out.

Here's my go-to gif for it!

2AE5EC65C2EB9643AC7A0F5A4137CEFFFC49DFEF

I kind of stumbled on it during my second play through and cursed myself because it would of made the first time through a lot easier! That gif reminds me why I definitely prefer 1 a lot more than 2.

Neiteio

I kind of stumbled on it during my second play through and cursed myself because it would of made the first time through a lot easier! That gif reminds me why I definitely prefer 1 a lot more than 2.
Oh, you can do some cool stuff in Rev2, too. Rev2's major feature is the improved dodging. You can dodge back, forward, left and right at any time, even if no one is currently attacking you. Feels great!

I couldn't pick between the two games, though. I see them as brother and sister. And I really hope we get a Rev3!

Akiller

Thanks For Your replies!
So WiiU OFF-TV or 3DS Version? PC is the obv answer performance wise i Know, but the handheld option is something i'd really appreaciate.

Neiteio

Thanks For Your replies!
So WiiU OFF-TV or 3DS Version? PC is the obv answer performance wise i Know, but the handheld option is something i really appreaciate.
I haven't played the WiiU version, but I know it has some extra content compared to the 3DS version (extra characters in Raid, a couple new enemies, etc). So I'd go with the WiiU version. Although try it on the TV at some point — it looks nice on a big screen!

Oh, you can do some cool stuff in Rev2, too. Rev2's major feature is the improved dodging. You can dodge back, forward, left and right at any time, even if no one is currently attacking you. Feels great!

I couldn't pick between the two games, though. I see them as brother and sister. And I really hope we get a Rev3!

Yeah 2 is not a bad game by any means, just felt it was too dark (don't know if this was to hide its inferior graphics) in places and some of the enemies were a bit annoying! Still need to play more of the raid mode though.

Neiteio

Yeah 2 is not a bad game by any means, just felt it was too dark (don't know if this was to hide its inferior graphics) in places and some of the enemies were a bit annoying! Still need to play more of the raid mode though.
I think Rev2 looks nice, especially the woods and the fishing hamlet. It has a convincing lived-in feeling to it. But maybe you prefer the more opulent setting of Rev1's ship. I also prefer the look of Rev 1, but I think both look good.

I think Rev2 looks nice, especially the woods and the fishing hamlet. It has a convincing lived-in feeling to it. But maybe you prefer the more opulent setting of the Queen Zenobia. I also prefer the look of Rev 1, but I think both look good.

Yeah I guess it does have its moments, the level of clipping when enemies are close to objects can be off putting though. Guess I just prefer Resident Evil games with more focus in relation to the location and felt I got that more with the cruise ship (although the locations did jump around a bit).

Neiteio

Yeah I guess it does have its moments, the level of clipping when enemies are close to objects can be off putting though. Guess I just prefer Resident Evil games with more focus in relation to the location and felt I got that more with the cruise ship (although the locations did jump around a bit).
I thought Rev2 had a strong sense of place. Everything was connected: The penal colony led to the woods and lumberyards, which led to the fishing hamlet, which led to the town with the bar and apartment complex, which led to the slaughterhouse and meat packing plant, which led to the sewers, which led to the tower, or alternatively, to the sluice and the mining quarry, the dam and construction yard, the gas mines and... well, you know.

In fact, my one main disappointment with Rev2 was that the Raid Mode didn't have a Ghost Ship equivalent like Rev1. It would've been great to play one super-level where you went through all of the locations on the island in an order of your choosing.

Akiller

I haven't played the WiiU version, but I know it has some extra content compared to the 3DS version (extra characters in Raid, a couple new enemies, etc). So I'd go with the WiiU version. Although try it on the TV at some point — it looks nice on a big screen!

Alright!

Also, already Got Rev2 thanks to an humble bundle. Are Rev games really co op heavy? I mean i'm playing RE6 with a friend and i'm enjoying the game even more thanks to him, but i feel Like i wouldn't go back to AI partner ever again so it'd be nice if Revs were good in solo too.

Alright!

Also, already Got Rev2 thanks to an humble bundle. Are Rev games really co op heavy? I mean i'm playing RE6 with a friend and i'm enjoying the game even more thanks to him, but i feel Like i wouldn't go back to AI partner ever again so it'd be nice if Revs were good in solo too.

I only play RE games solo but in Rev2 only one of the characters can wield firearms in the main game (Claire or Barry).

Oh right, you have to switch characters right?

Claire teams up with Moira who has a torch to dazzle enemies and a crowbar to melee them.

Barry teams up with Natalia who can 'sense' enemies in the same way you can in TLOU and can point to hidden items in the environment.

Jawmuncher

Would the melee from RE5 put into RE4 mess up RE4? I'm talking mainly the head stop. But maybe adding a few other moves in there. Every time I go back to RE4 only thing I ever feel that kind of bothers me is Leon's weak melee. I mean I get its supposed to be more for crowd control than damage, but man RE5 just had such a good combination of both.

strafer

I decided to play some RE6 tonight.

Took me a while to shake off the rust, following my own guide, but after three rounds on Urban Chaos, I'm starting to relearn how to play. The gunplay feels surprisingly good (I say "surprisingly" because the narrative on GAF at the moment is that it's weak). And there's something tremendously satisfying about seeing zombies dissolve as you gun them down, or popping their heads off with a roundhouse kick, or delivering an elbow drop as Helena, or a running jump kick as Sherry, or sniping three dogs in a row with quick shots, or sliding past a firefighter and spinning around mid-slide to shoot the oxygen tank on its back. The list goes on and on.

I like how Mercs in RE6 starts out very slow, with hardly any enemies around, so you can remember the controls. I also like how the time extensions are plentiful and add generous amounts of time, although the scoring is scaled accordingly.

I replayed the Prologue, too. Not as bad as I remember it. The worst part is the first half where pushing any direction will make you move forward. The second half is more or less Heavy Rain levels of QTEs. But if you go in expecting this and just accept it as a funhouse ride, it's an OK time.

I then jumped ahead into the final chapters of Leon's campaign — namely, the level where Leon and Helena are chasing "Ada" through the warehouse, before the tense standoff with Chris and Piers. This level reminds me of how random this game can be. Running and sliding under lasers to reach an elevator... Fending off roombas rigged to explode (which you can thankfully defeat by simply brushing against and running away)... A jog up a stairwell that for some reason has fixed camera angles like classic RE, and on that stairwell only... All of this, punctuated with a room full of ammo crates and a room full of treasure. It's fun variety, but I sometimes wonder if they're too ambitious throwing something new at you every other scene.

Also, Leon and Helena have amazing hair.

And while she's totally a wet blanket, Helena's Lanshiang design is top-notch:

re6-helenalanshiang8ckmo.jpg

All of the character designs in RE6 are top notch.

But my personal favorite is Leon.

PgJ832r.jpg

Mr_Zombie

Would the melee from RE5 put into RE4 mess up RE4? I'm talking mainly the head stop. But maybe adding a few other moves in there. Every time I go back to RE4 only thing I ever feel that kind of bothers me is Leon's weak melee. I mean I get its supposed to be more for crowd control than damage, but man RE5 just had such a good combination of both.

Lack of ground stomp was my biggest issue in RE4 when I was playing Ultimate HD version. Knifing enemies on the ground felt so weird after going back from RE5.

Roubjon

Thought I'd ask here because I don't know where else I would.

In Revelations 2 I'm at the
Alex creepy crawly boss fight with Barry at the end of episode 4
and I have like, 30 shots with my machine gun. I've been running around for like 30 minutes, looking for more ammo. Maybe once in a while I'll find some, but after a certain point I stopped finding any.

Then after those 30 minutes I wanted to google for help, but my internet was being dumb, so I went to reset it. And then I ACCIDENTLY TURNED OFF THE PS4. Now I have to do it all over again.
She was bleeding and shit so I imagine she was almost dead.
Am I fucked?

Jawmuncher

Resident Evil 20th Anniversary franchise sale going on, on PSN. Including RE0 and RE:Remake HD as well as DLC

https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/resident-evil-games-sale/cid=STORE-MSF77008-FRANCHISESALEGG

Free RE 20th Anniversary PS4 theme https://store.playstation.com/#!/en...heme/cid=UP0102-CUSA00924_00-20THCUSTOMTHEME1

A FREE THEME OH FUCK YEAH GIMME DAT

Only thing I am tempted with is the Vita version of Revelations 2 since I own everything else or plan to get it physically later on.
I might just wait and save money for the physical rereleases of 4, 5, and 6

joe2187

Banned
A FREE THEME OH FUCK YEAH GIMME DAT

Only thing I am tempted with is the Vita version of Revelations 2 since I own everything else or plan to get it physically later on.
I might just wait and save money for the physical rereleases of 4, 5, and 6

I wouldn't recommend the vita version unless you already played RERE2 and are a die hard fan.

The port is subpar, actually it's really bad. The framrate dips into the single digits almost all the time and going at it on a difficulty above normal is just going to lead to frustration since the framerate drops to near stuttering speeds during combat. The lighting and shadows is all off and the graphics take a serious dip.

How did we come from having an amazing RERE1 running like a dream on the original 3DS to a pile of dog shit running on the new Vita hardware....how!?

Jawmuncher

Resident Evil theme is nice. Dark red works well so it's not bright, has the sounds from REmake and the save room theme playing.

Golnei

I kind of wouldn't mind playing a 3DS version of Revelations 2; if it were something as carefully adapted to the platform as the first entry and not a disastrous port like the Vita one. Especially since visually, it doesn't do anything special - I'd actually find the rough and uneven environments a lot more acceptable if they were running on a 3DS.

Just license the MT framework engine, and MT Mobile engine.

Just do it

JUST FUCKING DO IT! CAPCOM! IT'S FREE MONEY!

FREEEEE MONEEEEYYYY!!!

What would that accomplish? There's no chance they'd be able to provide the support and documentation required to license an engine to external parties on a consistent basis, and all of the existing documentation being in Japanese further limits the developers who can make use of it. It's also optimised primarily for mobile and last-gen development - Vita and 3DS games are on the way out, however gradually, and for current consoles, UE4 would be a more flexible and accessible solution.

Even Umbrella Corps ended up using Unity.

Though it might have been a good idea for them to look into licensing it a decade ago, when Japanese developers were making their messy transition into HD...

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Rev1 Raid is also really awesome.

Wish I liked the base game more. I kinda wish they'd release it on PS4 so I could get some party chat going and get deeper into Raid, because I don't like going back to PS3. Afraid that ship has probably sailed.

Roubjon

and I have like, 30 shots with my machine gun. I've been running around for like 30 minutes, looking for more ammo. Maybe once in a while I'll find some, but after a certain point I stopped finding any.

Then after those 30 minutes I wanted to google for help, but my internet was being dumb, so I went to reset it. And then I ACCIDENTLY TURNED OFF THE PS4. Now I have to do it all over again.
Am I fucked?

I somehow managed to win, being super conservative and only shooting it when it's weakspot was clearly visible. Awesome ending.

Neiteio

Depending on what you did earlier in the game, you might not have been at the true final boss battle, anyways.

In Claire Ch. 3, did you switch to Moira when she was pinned and reaching for her gun? If not, replay Claire Ch. 3 and do that, then skip back to Barry Ch. 4.

Then when you get back to the fight from before, it'll lead to the -true- final battle — and one of the best endings ever.

Top Bottom