• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil Community |OT2| Best Fans Ever!

Neiteio

Thanks, I'll keep that OP ready. I've already heard about the non-existent tutorial, but I still want to go in more or less blind and see what I can figure out myself. If I'm just not having fun, or I feel like I progressed far enough by myself I'll definitly take a look at that guide to see what features I've missed.

(Or maybe I'll read through some of it, while the game is still downloading.)

I've also skimmed through the recent "Is RE6 an objectively bad game?" thread. From what I've seen, chances are I'll like the game.
Main thing to play around with in RE6 is the huge variety of moves you can do while aiming:

- Aim and tap X to spot dodge.

- Aim and tap X plus left, right, forward or back to dive in that direction.

- Release the aim button while rolling to roll back to your feet.

- Alternatively, continue to hold the aim button while rolling to lie on your back.

- While on your back, tap left or right (or forward or back) to scoot in that direction.

- Sprint with X and then tap the aim button to slide across the ground.

- Pull back mid-slide to spin around and target enemies behind you.

- Alternatively, drop bombs on the ground as you slide past enemies, and then detonate them!

- Also, master the quick shot to quickly target and snipe fast-moving targets like dogs. Squeeze both triggers to perform the quick shot!

- Also master the running attack, where you sprint and tap R1 to get the drop on an enemy or break through enemy lines.

Note that physical attacks use up bars on the stamina meter, which replenishes with time. You may be clutching your side, but you're not hurt — you're just winded!

You can also paint targets for your (virtually) indestructible AI partner to target with their inexhaustible ammo. Check my guide to see how. There are also tips on how to auto-mix and auto-load your herbs and pills.

There's a lot more, but those are good points for starters.

Oh, and one other thing: CHANGE THE AIMING TO AT LEAST 7. TURN THE CAMERA DOWN TO 2 OR 3. I also recommend switching to laser dot, and pulling back the camera a bit with FOV. You might also want to set QTEs to auto-complete, so that they complete themselves.

Charlouie Jonesman said:
4FYUiK3.jpg

F09fPdD.jpg

DrEHfdf.jpg

YqC94eP.jpg

eKJohlb.jpg

ogYeWQV.jpg

3c9cFE3.jpg

lBQsslp.jpg

Claire's face looks a bit weird in the HD version and the game is a bit too dark sometimes, but it's still better than the original which just looks drab and boring. But I don't like the game very much anyway, so don't take my word for it.
Oh wow, that is a big improvement. Yeah, I'm really enjoying the lighting and shadows in the HD version. The game has incredible atmosphere. I'm just struggling to find my next herb, lol.

I don't really care for old Claire's voice, though. Much prefer the Claire in Rev 2. Although the Claire in Darkside Chronicles was OK. A bit goofy, but OK!

Thanks for the summary. I also read through most of your original guide already, seems like essential stuff that the game really should've explained.

Anyway, the download is done after like 2 hours, now it's probably another 2 hours to install the damn game and then I'm good to go.

Trigger

How long should I wait before trying the extra episodes in Revelations 2? I'm about to start episode 2 now, but I wanted to enjoy the story in some kind of chronological order.
Even though it's obvious that Barry's campaign starts later in the story's timeline.

Neiteio

How long should I wait before trying the extra episodes in Revelations 2? I'm about to start episode 2 now, but I wanted to enjoy the story in some kind of chronological order.
Even though it's obvious that Barry's campaign starts later in the story's timeline.
Do episodes 1-4, in order, then do the extra episodes.

Save the extra episodes for last. They contain major spoilers.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Based on this picture (I haven't played CVX HD yet), this looks like a younger version of Claire from Revelations 2, not a bad change in my opinion!
Really? Idk looking at the pics, I feel like they derp'd her pretty hard there.

I don't really like the look of those CVX HD screenshots. Some of the new shadow details are nice, but I really don't like how contrasty and bloomy it is. Also got some sort of orange filter. And they changed the aspect ratio.

Neff

I think with the HD version of Code Veronica they wanted to make the lighter a bigger deal than the relatively one-shot
optional sidequest
item it is. So they made a ton of the areas in the game really fucking dark, much darker than they ever were in the original.

That said, it looks great nonetheless, and it's probably the definitive version, even though I never liked the additional 'X' cutscenes and prefer Steve's Dreamcast haircut.

So far I'm liking RE6, the beginning of Leon's campaign was pretty slow though, with lots of "cinematic" walking.

I'm glad I read the guide beforehand though, so far the game hasn't ever told me that sliding and rolling around are even a thing. The only way I would've found out about it is by sheer coincidence.

So far I'm doing lots of Quick Shot + Meelee combos and use sliding and rolling around on the ground like a worm as other means of attack when my stamina gets too low. I guess that's how you're supposed to play the game?

I don't really like the look of those CVX HD screenshots. Some of the new shadow details are nice, but I really don't like how contrasty and bloomy it is. Also got some sort of orange filter. And they changed the aspect ratio.

I guess it's a matter of taste. But this is probably a good opportunity to mention to anyone who's interested in a digital copy of the original CVX, it's up on the japanese PSN as a PS2 Classic for some reason.

Mr_Zombie

So far I'm liking RE6, the beginning of Leon's campaign was pretty slow though, with lots of "cinematic" walking.

Dunno how far into the game you are, but I really recommend playing the game in the chronological order, i.e. jumping between Leon's, Sherry's and Chris' campaigns. Each campaign has different atmosphere and gameplay: Leon's has zombies and old creepy churches/labs + there's a lot of cinematic QTE there; Chris' is the most shoot-bang one; Sherry's has the most weird gameplay sections (stealth, snowmobile escape, motorcycle chase etc.). If you take them in small doses, they are much more edible, they complement each other.

Here's the order:
  • Prelude Chapter
  • Chris Chapter 1
  • Chris Chapter 2
  • Jake Chapter 1
  • Jake Chapter 2
  • Leon Chapter 1
  • Leon Chapter 2
  • Leon Chapter 3
  • Jake Chapter 3
  • Chris Chapter 3
  • Jake Chapter 4
  • Leon Chapter 4
  • Chris Chapter 4
  • Jake Chapter 5
  • Chris Chapter 5
  • Leon Chapter 5
  • Ada Campaign

Zero-ELEC

Banned
Dunno how far into the game you are, but I really recommend playing the game in the chronological order, i.e. jumping between Leon's, Sherry's and Chris' campaigns. Each campaign has different atmosphere and gameplay: Leon's has zombies and old creepy churches/labs + there's a lot of cinematic QTE there; Chris' is the most shoot-bang one; Sherry's has the most weird gameplay sections (stealth, snowmobile escape, motorcycle chase etc.). If you take them in small doses, they are much more edible, they complement each other.

Here's the order:
  • Prelude Chapter
  • Chris Chapter 1
  • Chris Chapter 2
  • Jake Chapter 1
  • Jake Chapter 2
  • Leon Chapter 1
  • Leon Chapter 2
  • Leon Chapter 3
  • Jake Chapter 3
  • Chris Chapter 3
  • Jake Chapter 4
  • Leon Chapter 4
  • Chris Chapter 4
  • Jake Chapter 5
  • Chris Chapter 5
  • Leon Chapter 5
  • Ada Campaign

I recommend the opposite, as playing them in chronological order makes an already disjointed game with tone and pacing issues even more disjointed. Just play it by campaign, yo'll experience everything fine.

I just finished episode 2 of Revelations 2 and it feels like someone else wrote all of Moira's dialogue. Everything she says is so different in tone compared to the rest of the characters and...not good. It's really bad dialogue. I get what they were going for, but it just doesn't work very well.
Good game though. I'm eager to finish the story and get back to raid mode.

I might get REv2 today, so a few questions:

• What's the best overall platform for it?
  • How does the physical version compare to the digital options? (Physical vs Season Pass vs Deluxe Digital)

I recommend the opposite, as playing them in chronological order makes an already disjointed game with tone and pacing issues even more disjointed. Just play it by campaign, yo'll experience everything fine.

That's what I was planning to do anyway, I'm not going to sit there with a list of chapters in order at hand.

Sorry Mr_Zombie, but your words were in vain before you even began to write this.

Freeman76

Loved resi back on ps one, and the remake is in the sale now. Not sure if nostalgia is enough to warrant a purchase. Almost wish they included easy mode so i could enjoy it without the stress of item management

Zambatoh

I might get REv2 today, so a few questions:

• What's the best overall platform for it?
  • How does the physical version compare to the digital options? (Physical vs Season Pass vs Deluxe Digital)

I'd say the best overall platform is probably the PS4 version. I've noticed Raid mode doesn't suffer the same FPS drops as the PC version does. Unless you want free online and modding ability in which case go PC.

Season pass just gives you the episodes and Hunk. The Retail and Deluxe Digital are the same and gives you pretty much everything.

Loved resi back on ps one, and the remake is in the sale now. Not sure if nostalgia is enough to warrant a purchase. Almost wish they included easy mode so i could enjoy it without the stress of item management

The original REmake had an Easy mode. The HD REmaster has a new Very Easy mode. It doesn't get rid of item management obviously, as that's a core element of the game, but it makes the game as easy as you can get without completly disabling the enemy AI. You're practically invincible. If that doesn't entice you, nothing will.

I'd say the best overall platform is probably the PS4 version. I've noticed Raid mode doesn't suffer the same FPS drops as the PC version does. Unless you want free online and modding ability in which case go PC.

Season pass just gives you the episodes and Hunk. The Retail and Deluxe Digital are the same and gives you pretty much everything.

Ah thanks. The current $2 difference between physical and digital deluxe on PS4 isn't a biggie, and my GCU will probably make the game even cheaper. Physical PS4 it is.

BTails

brb killing myself

;)

Hey, I'm not saying that I don't dislike the old Claire, more that everyone was up in arms when Revelations 2 came out, saying that Claire looked 100% different. I can see the resemblance now, at least.

#residentevil2stillmyfavorite :)

Jawmuncher

For beginners Old School RE games on easy mode are still quite fun. Since you're still exploring and you can still die. Just you have more leeway and tons more ammo.

Jawmuncher

I disagree. I think playing the game sampling all the campaigns is the best way. Offers the most variety.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Even still most of the levels are quite different even in the same area. I dunno feels better to finish all the campaigns together rather than starting over every time.
Fair enough. I've posted my thoughts on non-chron enough already... Hey at least people are playing RE6.

News Bot

Banned
I just finished episode 2 of Revelations 2 and it feels like someone else wrote all of Moira's dialogue. Everything she says is so different in tone compared to the rest of the characters and...not good. It's really bad dialogue. I get what they were going for, but it just doesn't work very well.

In this series, the translators take it upon themselves to do a lot of writing. None of it terribly good, because they're hacks even at translating.

So I plan to get RE 4,5 and 6 on ps4. But I feel like I need to play them order but not sure I can wait till fall. Story wise how connected are all the games? I played RE4 back in the day on GameCube but it was so long ago I don't remember all the ins and outs of the story.

So I plan to get RE 4,5 and 6 on ps4. But I feel like I need to play them order but not sure I can wait till fall. Story wise how connected are all the games? I played RE4 back in the day on GameCube but it was so long ago I don't remember all the ins and outs of the story.

Storywise RE4 is so disconnected from the rest, it really doesn't matter.

Jawmuncher

Actually they stand alone pretty well. 4 really doesn't tie into much and you can easily play 5 after 6 as if it's a prequel. So long as you know who Wesker is I think for the most part you'll be alright. Since You know who sherry is.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car

They stand alone, but might as well go in order if you have them all.

Heck, if you get the Revelations titles you can work them in, too.

I also think in-order is a good idea because people seem to mostly love or hate RE6 with few middling responses. So you can tackle that at the end that way.

I actually have a middling-to-negative response to it. I'm sure I'll play it again (couch co-op if nothing else), but I can sort of take it or leave it. Like I said, though, that's a pretty unusual response.

What about Xbox One? Does ps4 have a physical copy of Deluxe or is it only digital? Is there a demo for Rev2 for pc so I can check if it runs well on my laptop?

They stand alone, but might as well go in order if you have them all.

Heck, if you get the Revelations titles you can work them in, too.

I also think in-order is a good idea because people seem to mostly love or hate RE6 with few middling responses. So you can tackle that at the end that way.

I actually have a middling-to-negative response to it. I'm sure I'll play it again (couch co-op if nothing else), but I can sort of take it or leave it. Like I said, though, that's a pretty unusual response.
I played 4 when it came out on GameCube. But never played 5 or 6. I just don't know I can wait till f4ll to play them order. I already played Rev2 was a fan.

Zambatoh

What about Xbox One? Does ps4 have a physical copy of Deluxe or is it only digital? Is there a demo for Rev2 for pc so I can check if it runs well on my laptop?

I don't know about the Xbone version. I haven't played it.
But the physical and Digital Deluxe editions are the same thing.
Unfortunately the PC version's first episode is not free like it is on consoles. However it's spec requirements are pretty low so just about anyone can play it fine. But the game does suffer some optimization issues in Raid Mode. Most notably on certain stages like 2-1 the sniper rifle's first person view will tank the frame rate. This doesn't happen in the PS4 version afaik.

Jawmuncher

I don't know about the Xbone version. I haven't played it.
But the physical and Digital Deluxe editions are the same thing.
Unfortunately the PC version's first episode is not free like it is on consoles. However it's spec requirements are pretty low so just about anyone can play it just fine. But the game does some suffer some optimization issues in Raid Mode. Most notably on certain stages like 2-1 the sniper rifle's first person view will tank the frame rate. This doesn't happen in the PS4 version afaik.

I thought the PC stuff was fixed now.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
I played 4 when it came out on GameCube. But never played 5 or 6. I just don't know I can wait till f4ll to play them order. I already played Rev2 was a fan.

Yeah, I forget how the releases are spaced out. I guess that would be a long wait

Her dialog was actually the reason I thought she was a great addition. It was refreshing to have a character completely different from the rest of the series. Everyone else in the series is always so serious and grim, so Moira was a breath of fresh air.

The usual cast is already so experienced with B.O.W. outbreaks, but Moira was new to them, so it made her reactions feel much more genuine and relateable. Easier to put myself in her shoes.

Mr_Zombie

That's what I was planning to do anyway, I'm not going to sit there with a list of chapters in order at hand.

Sorry Mr_Zombie, but your words were in vain before you even began to write this.

Don't say I didn't warn you, then.
sign42.gif

I really couldn't stand Sherry's campaign on its own due to how much time you spent doing everything else but what the game is best at, i.e. fighting enemies.

Neiteio

OK, started RE2 for real last night (previously just sampled the beginning). I'm starting with Claire's Scenario A. I made it up to the Spade Key.

I wandered around the RPD for a half-hour looking for the Unicorn Medal. Despite going to the STARS office 10 times and spamming X against every object, I didn't notice Chris' diary on the desk since the soft backgrounds make everything blur together, lol.

But this game is great. Something I realized last night is it's actually fun to fight the zombies in RE2. I'm not sure I'd say the same thing about REmake... There's something super-satisfying about standing your ground in RE2 and laying waste to a huge pack of undead policemen shambling down the hall. They give you the ammo for it, too. And you're much more nimble dancing around the zombies.

Speaking of that moment with the horde, immediately past the east door of the RPD's main hall, I like how they throw a horde at you, but since you're by the door you can immediately turn around and leave if you feel unprepared. Good design.

I also like how they reward your thoroughness, i.e. double-checking a body will often give you bullets, and blindly feeling around behind a desk will uncover herbs.

The main theme is so good. The one iterated in the main hall — DOO, da DOO... do-da-do-da, DOO, da DOO. I also like the save theme.

Oh, and I like the color scheme of the cityscape. Something very appealing about the green fire escapes and the red brick buildings, along with the yellow graffiti and signage.

Claire's voice, though... Ehhh. At least her outfit is cool!

Currently playing RE2 for the first time, alongside RE4 for the one billionth time. Good times, good times. Looking forward to revisiting RE6 on PS4 at the end of the month! If anyone else is hyped for RE6, I recommend picking up the complete artworks. Udon released the English version of the book. It just arrived from Amazon today and it's excellent. So many amazing designs!

News Bot

Banned
So the Heavenly Island manga has entered a ten week hiatus, but not before the latest issue revealed the primary villain and he gave an elaborate exposition dump. Spoilers ahead.

The villain is Dirk Miller (ディルク•ミラー), a former Umbrella researcher and someone Alex Wesker trusted completely. I've roughly translated the majority of the exposition.

DIRK: Aha. This island is a test site... To look for the strongest organism. The Jǐn Dú Project... That's what we called it... It's an ancient Chinese curse... I'm sure you're aware of the "Jǐn Dú." Later I got a hint from an experiment. Something large, a small snake, was placed into a container with bugs, something small-- a hundred kinds of insects. It's said that the powerful curse dwells in the one who remains in the midst of fighting each other. The B.O.W.'s we created fought under a variety of conditions. We were trying to create the strongest virus from the surviving individual... Based on the theory of optimal survival of the fittest, the B.O.W. on this island was made from the test subject. Programmed to target "those with superior combat abilities." This island is the Jǐn Dú's "container", no one can take it away. ...I also imprinted that behavior.

JULIE: I wonder if he destroyed the cruiser's engine for that...

DIRK: The B.O.W.'s are created by injecting a special virus into the human body. Therefore we decided to locally procure the "raw materials." It was easy to recruit the island's inhabitants with their deep superstitions if I played a shaman... With reasoning like that, the islanders... are insane. You people wouldn't understand the value of this unique and magnificent experiment... The experiment facilities Alex prepared on this island were indispensable to B.O.W. development, along with the virus she left behind. The closed environment of an island was suitable for conducting the Jǐn Dú Project. The project was going smoothly, but before long, my associates carrying out the project disappeared. The Jǐn Dú Project began culling the researchers, not just the B.O.W.'s. In other words, I will be the consummator of the Jǐn Dú Project. Alex Wesker once placed her complete trust in me. My name is Dirk Miller.

Top Bottom