• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil Community |OT2| Best Fans Ever!

Roubjon

Yeah I got the "True" final battle, it was awesome. I loved the ending of this game and the entire thing in general. I'm going to play the Bonus chapters now and I'll keep playing Raid mode and try to unlock more stuff.

I've been on a Resident Evil kick recently. I just completed Resident Evil Remake as well as Revelations 1 previously, both for the first time. I definitely have a new found love for the series.

Mr_Zombie

How did we come from having an amazing RERE1 running like a dream on the original 3DS to a pile of dog shit running on the new Vita hardware....how!?

Revelations 1 was a mobile game first and foremost that was later ported to more powerful consoles, while Revelations 2 was made with PS3/X360 level of hardware in mind and was later downgraded to a handheld. Plus, as News Bot already said, the port was outsourced.

Neiteio

I'm replaying bits and pieces of RE6 (saving the full replay for the PS4 remaster), and I have to say Simmons is actually a pretty neat villain. Great voice acting that really sells the conniving nature of the character.

Also, Lanshiang is gorgeous. When Leon and Helena jump on the train, I just stood in place and watched the skyscrapers whizzing by until I noticed them looping, which took longer than I expected. All of the neon signage is wonderfully atmospheric. And then when you the train crashes and you wash up on shore and see the skyline on the distant shore... Nice!

Neiteio

Hmm, RE2 is $1.50 on PSN right now

Maybe there'll be another price cut

wJzFHMT.gif

braves01

Banned
I just finished up a casual playthrough of RE3 on gamecube. Lord, those higher resolution textures and models look damn good through component. Highly recommend people play this one on Dreamcast or gamecube through component (or PC). The cube controller also works pretty well, even using the analog stick, since it's got those octagonal notches gating the stick.

Hmm, RE2 is $1.50 on PSN right now

Maybe there'll be another price cut

wJzFHMT.gif

Don't be dumb! it's the best one

Neiteio

Don't do this mayne, you're only hurting yourself by not getting it!
lol, I'll get it, I just need to be in the right headspace to play old-school RE

REmake was thoroughly enjoyable, but it's something where I have to be in the mood!

(Although the lack of crimson heads in RE2 should make it immediately more inviting)

Heck I wish I had a Sony console just so I could take advantage of that deal. One of the best games ever made, and the best one in its particular series, for just $1.50 = Total steal!

Oh wait, I forgot I own a PS TV. I seem to do that a lot, guess I have an actual use for it now. lol

Jawmuncher

I still find it odd that RE5 gets so much shit for boulder punching. But no one ever mentions the multitude of outlandish oddities in the castle section of RE4.

Neiteio

I still find it odd that RE5 gets so much shit for boulder punching. But no one ever mentions the multitude of outlandish oddities in the castle section of RE4.
Eh? People love the boulder-punching.

You could say it...

*audience starts yelling "Don't do it, Neiteio!"*

...you could say it...

*audience: "No, don't do it!"*

...you could say it... rocks

Oh, on another note, I downloaded these two games... Nearly cost me $3 altogether. Three whole dollars.

What's weird is, even though I installed both of them, the "ready to install" icons are still there. o_O

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
So you can transfer them to vita or whatever.

They are safe to delete.

Neiteio

So you can transfer them to vita or whatever.

They are safe to delete.
Ah, I see.

I have stories to work on tonight (journalist), but I tried a bit of RE2, and... It's fun! Leon is like a tank and can take a million bites to the neck. Tons of ammo, too. Killed the mob in the gun shop and got a shotgun.

But I was never prompted to pick Leon or Claire. Wonder how that works.

I dunno. Anyone here ever play RE2 before?

braves01

Banned
Ah, I see.

I have stories to work on tonight (journalist), but I tried a bit of RE2, and... It's fun! Leon is like a tank and can take a million bites to the neck. Tons of ammo, too. Killed the mob in the gun shop and got a shotgun.

But I was never prompted to pick Leon or Claire. Wonder how that works.

Claire is the other disc. You have to hold the ps button to pull up the menu to switch between them. And if you care about what's considered canon, play Claire first.

Neiteio

Oh man, RE3 is really cool. Just met a guy in a bar with pinball machines who alluded to Nemesis. Digging the look of the city -- so much detail in each shot, and unnerving sound design with civilians getting chomped offscreen. Also digging the pretzel-like level design.

Something about this game and RE2 feels snappier and more fluid to control than REmake. Seems easier to run around zombies.

...I have stories to write and should stop playing.

Yeah you move a lot faster in 2&3 than REmake and generally have more room to maneuver around them (and more ammo to kill them...and less worry about killing them)

Neiteio

Yeah you move a lot faster in 2&3 than REmake and generally have more room to maneuver around them (and more ammo to kill them...and less worry about killing them)
Should've told me this sooner. REmake is fun, but it's also stressful as hell. What I briefly played of RE2 and RE3 today was wonderful. You're right the graphics hold up well. Image quality is blurry, of course, but I say it adds to the atmosphere, IMO. Also makes me nostalgic — I was an N64 kid, but I read EGM and saw screenshots of countless PSX games back in the day, so these pre-rendered backdrops with their gloomy atmosphere takes me back.

Again, I only played the beginning of each game so far (and will start them over to do them "properly" when I have more time later this week), but so far I'm more intrigued by RE3. The city seems super-complex. I was constantly opening new doors, going down new alleyways, etc. And then out of nowhere they wind back on themselves. Also, you can shoot barrels and explode zombies into meaty chunks! And the ammo-mixing is neat; I combined two sets of gunpowder, loaded them into the reloader, and gave myself like 30 extra bullets. :-O

Also, Jill's bare shoulders. *blushes*

Oh man, RE3 is really cool. Just met a guy in a bar with pinball machines who alluded to Nemesis. Digging the look of the city -- so much detail in each shot, and unnerving sound design with civilians getting chomped offscreen. Also digging the pretzel-like level design.

Something about this game and RE2 feels snappier and more fluid to control than REmake. Seems easier to run around zombies.

...I have stories to write and should stop playing.

RE3 also added a dodge mechanic as well that allows you to dodge an enemy right before they attack.

Neiteio

RE3 also added a dodge mechanic as well that allows you to dodge an enemy right before they attack.
Yeah, I was reading the guides they include in your inventory. Sounds like RE3 added tons of mechanics. Quick turn, dodging, auto-aiming at red barrels, mixing gunpowder to create different ammo types, etc.

I've only played the first 10 minutes and I already hope they remake RE3. I'd love to see these levels with updated graphics. But they still look good on their own terms. :)

Neiteio

Question about RE2 and RE3:

Are zombies permanently removed from play when you kill them, like in REmake?

And how conservative should I be with my ink ribbons?

(In REmake, I ran into a situation where I needed to get three masks, beat the elder Crimson Head, go to Lisa's cabin, and enter Residence before I could save!)

Zambatoh

Neiteio are you really new to the original trilogy? Because you are in for a fine treat my man.

(In REmake, I ran into a situation where I needed to kill Yawn, get three masks, beat the elder Crimson Head, go to Lisa's cabin, and enter Residence before I could save again!)

Forget everything you learned in REmake. All of it.

Neiteio

Neiteio are you really new to the original trilogy? Because you are in for a fine treat my man.
Yes, I am. And frankly I was ready to come in here and loudly complain that they don't hold up well. But RE2 and RE3 play beautifully so far, and the art direction and sound design holds up nicely. Color me impressed.

Neiteio

I should also mention I thought about getting Code Veronica X (that's the best version, right?), since I really liked the CV scenario in Darkside Chronicles. But I've heard mixed impressions here.

...then again, there are people in the RE community who are down on Rev 1, so who knows who I can listen to!

Jawmuncher

I should also mention I thought about getting Code Veronica X (that's the best version, right?), since I really liked the CV scenario in Darkside Chronicles. But I've heard mixed impressions here.

...then again, there are people in the RE community who are down on Rev 1, so who knows who I can listen to!

Just get it. It's like 4 bucks. This sale is the perfect time to play the rest. You're already this deep in. Might as well finish it.

Roubjon

Yes, I am. And frankly I was ready to come in here and loudly complain that they don't hold up well. But RE2 and RE3 play beautifully so far, and the art direction and sound design holds up nicely. Color me impressed.

There is a reason those game are so loved yo. They are fantastic games in every way.

Neiteio

Just get it. It's like 4 bucks. This sale is the perfect time to play the rest. You're already this deep in. Might as well finish it.
Yeah, I think I'll download it when I take a break. Is Code Veronica X the HD version they released alongside RE4?

CVX is good, too, especially at <$5
It's not money that's the concern. It's just allotting the time to play it.

But yeah, I'll give it a go. Really enjoyed the CV scenario in Darkside Chronicles.

Code Veronica is the true sequel to RE2 so you should definitely play it after that one. It wraps up Claire's story that began in RE2.

It's also a legitimately great game that received wide critical acclaim when it first released.

Neiteio

This is a weird analogy, but playing RE2 and RE3 made me feel like I was exploring the world map of Crocodile Isle from Donkey Kong Country 2.

Dem pre-rendered backdrops, yo.

Makes me think I should just dive deep into the whole PSX catalog I missed being an N64 kid.

Golnei

Makes me think I should just dive deep into the whole PSX catalog I missed being an N64 kid.

How many of Square's RPGs from the era have you played? They're just as iconic in terms of the pre-rendered style. If you're still in a RE-ish mood, the first Parasite Eve might be a good place to start, given how heavily it anchors itself in a sci-fi horror influenced 90s urban pastiche.

Neiteio

How many of Square's RPGs from the era have you played? They're just as iconic in terms of the pre-rendered style. If you're still in a RE-ish mood, the first Parasite Eve might be a good place to start, given how heavily it anchors itself in a sci-fi horror influenced 90s urban pastiche.
Haven't really played any of them. I have a passing interest in FF9, however. And I'm curious about Parasite Eve after Ash Paulsen praised the soundtrack on GameXplain. This led me to watch the opening cinematic where everyone combusts in the opera theater. Game has some crazy atmosphere.

How's RE6 on pc? I have it on ps3 and 360 and while I enjoyed those versions, I now have a pc that can probably play it at higher settings.

It's great, runs very well and it's much more enjoyable playing it at a higher (and more consistent) framerate. Plus it has some bonuses like an optional Mercenaries mode that ups the enemy count.

Neiteio

Now I'm downloading Code Veronica X and Resident Evil 4 on PS3.

I already have RE4 on GCN, Wii and PC, and I hear the PS3 version is only so-so, but hey! You can never own RE4 too many times.

Now I'm downloading Code Veronica X and Resident Evil 4 on PS3.

I already have RE4 on GCN, Wii and PC, and I hear the PS3 version is only so-so, but hey! You can never own RE4 too many times.

It's as barebones as you can get for an HD port, it even has pretty much the same FPS drops as the original, but at least it doesn't introduce any new glaring issues, so it's still better than the original GC version and if you don't care about motion controls, it's also better looking than the Wii port.

Neiteio

It's as barebones as you can get for an HD port, it even has pretty much the same FPS drops as the original, but at least it doesn't introduce any new glaring issues, so it's still better than the original GC version and if you don't care about motion controls, it's also better looking than the Wii port.
Well, it'll technically be missing certain lighting effects from the GCN/Wii version, which still has the definitive look overall.

But these days I'll sacrifice a few effects for HD resolution.

Golnei

Haven't really played any of them. I have a passing interest in FF9, however. And I'm curious about Parasite Eve after Ash Paulsen praised the soundtrack on GameXplain. This led me to watch the opening cinematic where everyone combusts in the opera theater. Game has some crazy atmosphere.

The soundtrack is fantastic, definitely some of Yoko Shimomura's more unique work. The actual faux-operatic intro piece isn't one of my favourite tracks, but you should have a look at the version recorded with live vocals instead of PSF synth - it was included on the soundtrack but never appears ingame.

Gameplay-wise, it's hit and miss, but the atmosphere is something it absolutely gets right throughout; the sense of place in Parasite Eve's New York is something only FF7's Midgar was able to match, and given the crossover in staff and PE's heavy influence from early FF7 concepts, they're not exactly separate. Even the awkward CG (at least for humans, the transformation scenes still look pretty good) and stilted translation don't get in the way too much - while it's very subjective, I find them to generally serve the way in which the game functions as a direct representation of its era, which is probably helped by the decision to forgo voice acting.

Neiteio

The soundtrack is fantastic, definitely some of Yoko Shimomura's more unique work. The actual faux-operatic intro piece isn't one of my favourite tracks, but you should have a look at the version recorded with live vocals instead of PSF synth - it was included on the soundtrack but never appears ingame.

Gameplay-wise, it's hit and miss, but the atmosphere is something it absolutely gets right throughout; the sense of place in Parasite Eve's New York is something only FF7's Midgar was able to match, and given the crossover in staff and PE's heavy influence from early FF7 concepts, they're not exactly separate. Even the awkward CG (at least for humans, the transformation scenes still look pretty good) and stilted translation don't get in the way too much - while it's very subjective, I find them to generally serve the way in which the game functions as a direct representation of its era, which is probably helped by the decision to forgo voice acting.
Oh, to be clear, I didn't look up the opera scene as an example of Parasite Eve's music &#8212; I knew it wouldn't be indicative of what the game's overall sound is like. I was just curious in seeing it after reading a description of everyone bursting into flame, lol. Terrifying stuff.

It's neat you mention Parasite Eve and Final Fantasy VII sharing some overlap in staff and concepts, because I definitely picked up a similar vibe between the two, despite my limited experience with both.

kogasu

And the ammo-mixing is neat; I combined two sets of gunpowder, loaded them into the reloader, and gave myself like 30 extra bullets. :-O

Yeah ammo mixing is pretty awesome. I've seen some people look down on it though since, it removes even more of the "survival?" elements by giving you more ammo I guess. For me, I just like the variety between playthroughs. You can have extra handgun ammo one playthrough and you can have more shotgun the next if you want. You have options.

Although, I like to save my gun powder for grenade rounds. I have a tip if you want to know about grenade rounds and gunpowder. It's a little trick that's not in the mixing guide. Though you can just skip if you wanna play through it blind.

-------
Wellll I think the mixing guide doesn't even go over combining powders with grenade rounds but you can combine regular grenade rounds with them and get the other types of grenade rounds. You don't even need the reloading tool! A=Flame, B=Acid and C=Freeze.

On top of that, it multiplies, so combining a AA gunpowder w/ 6 reg grenade rounds = 12 flame rounds orrrr AAA w/ 6 reg rounds = 18. It always takes six grenade rounds so you can't break the multiplier but you can still end up with alot to combat that pesky nemesis and reap the rewards.

Neiteio

RE4 looks quite nice on PS3. Just played the first hour of it.

Also played the beginning of CV. Some quick observations:

- Equipping the lighter impressed me with the lighting/shadow effects, so I imagine it was especially mind-blowing back in the day
- Claire's turning animation while standing in place is hilariously detached from the environment
- Game's atmosphere is great with darkness and drizzly rain, and all of the clutter lying around the dining commons, bunks, etc.
- I went to retrieve the briefcase that fell out of the truck but couldn't find it. Got bit up real bad by zombies. Limping along now, lol.

I have a tip if you want to know about grenade rounds and gunpowder. It's a little trick that's not in the mixing guide. Though you can just skip if you wanna play through it blind.

-------
Wellll I think the mixing guide doesn't even go over combining powders with grenade rounds but you can combine regular grenade rounds with them and get the other types of grenade rounds. You don't even need the reloading tool! A=Flame, B=Acid and C=Freeze.

On top of that, it multiplies, so combining a AA gunpowder w/ 6 reg grenade rounds = 12 flame rounds orrrr AAA w/ 6 reg rounds = 18. It always takes six grenade rounds so you can't break the multiplier but you can still end up with alot to combat that pesky nemesis and reap the rewards.
Nice! Thanks for the tip. :)

Ludens

Banned
Took CVX and Umbrella Chronicles on PS3, can you use DS4 to play them in coop (well, excluding CVX) ?

(In REmake, I ran into a situation where I needed to get three masks, beat the elder Crimson Head, go to Lisa's cabin, and enter Residence before I could save!)

Zombies are removed but there are locations where they respawn, so only clear areas you will pass again.
Regarding RE3, always take a heavy weapon with you, like Grenade Launcher. Nemesis will show up frequently, and if you are playing blindly on Hard, he can screw up in a second. Also sometiems you will be forced to fight him, so always take a good damage deler weapon with you.

Eh, I finally took the bite and got RE6, I know, there's the upcoming remaster, but for like 6 bucks I guess I can give it a try first, to see whether I like it or not.

Also played the beginning of CV. Some quick observations:

- Equipping the lighter impressed me with the lighting/shadow effects, so I imagine it was especially mind-blowing back in the day

It barely made a difference. (The HD version has an entirely new lighting engine and looks very different from the original, which just looked gray most of the time.)

Probably not.

Now that I've completed the RE0 remaster I've replayed all RE games over the past 18 months or so. I need something new capcom! I guess I'll be doing some more Mercs/Raid, though I barely have any time to play these days so whatever.

Neiteio

Eh, I finally took the bite and got RE6, I know, there's the upcoming remaster, but for like 6 bucks I guess I can give it a try first, to see whether I like it or not.
Be sure to read my primer on how to play RE6 — there's a ton the game doesn't teach you: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=494812

It barely made a difference. (The HD version has an entirely new lighting engine and looks very different from the original, which just looked gray most of the time.)
Ah, so the lighting in the HD version is new? It looks nice!

Be sure to read my primer on how to play RE6 &#8212; there's a ton the game doesn't teach you: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=494812

Thanks, I'll keep that OP ready. I've already heard about the non-existent tutorial, but I still want to go in more or less blind and see what I can figure out myself. If I'm just not having fun, or I feel like I progressed far enough by myself I'll definitly take a look at that guide to see what features I've missed.

(Or maybe I'll read through some of it, while the game is still downloading.) Edit: And I just did.

I've also skimmed through the recent "Is RE6 an objectively bad game?" thread. From what I've seen, chances are I'll like the game.

Ah, so the lighting in the HD version is new? It looks nice!

4FYUiK3.jpg

F09fPdD.jpg

DrEHfdf.jpg

YqC94eP.jpg

eKJohlb.jpg

ogYeWQV.jpg

3c9cFE3.jpg

lBQsslp.jpg

Claire's face looks a bit weird in the HD version and the game is a bit too dark sometimes, but it's still better than the original which just looks drab and boring. But I don't like the game very much anyway, so don't take my word for it.

Top Bottom