• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil Community |OT2| Best Fans Ever!

strafer

I like all the RE games, but I won't lie if I had to choose between RE 1-3 or RE4-6 I would choose 4-6 in a heartbeat.

Absolutely. I don't find the earlier games appealing. Maybe it's I had to be there kinda thing.

I don't know if I would want a new RE game in the style of the old ones.

There's a reason they made RE4 the way they did.

News Bot

Banned
Because the GCN flopped and Capcom didn't consider that in their reflections.

You mean Mikami didn't. He was also the one who pursued the GameCube exclusivity, but steadfastly ignored the fact that it was the poorest selling console and spent more time bitching about the PlayStation 2 and how Kingdom Hearts "shouldn't have sold well." He even ran with the "designed to break" theory.

Can't tell if that looks like Chris.
I own the Chris and Jill statues.
Not perfect but I like them
bmyserenity1426448857.jpeg
Lamunan1381235004.jpeg
Not my pics.

RSB

Banned
Absolutely. I don't find the earlier games appealing. Maybe it's I had to be there kinda thing.

I want the main series to stay action, but I would totally love to have new games in the classic style. Playing REmake HD last year reminded me how fucking amazing old school RE can be, and I hope REmake 2 is a success, so Capcom would at least consider making more games in the old style.

Seyavesh

i'm very curious how they'd approach an oldschool style RE in general- there's a lot of directions to go and various non-RE games in the same style experimented with branching with the core mechanics as to build a more unique identity

the big thing is that old REs are really, really strong cases of game design and simply going back to that style wouldn't necessarily guarantee anything of quality. and anything short of great in that style leaves you with hot garbage left for third rate knockoffs- it's not a style you can really have a middling result for

i actually think dead rising 1's strengths are branched from concepts in old RE, especially in terms of routing and resource management being key gameplay factors at the large level- i see it as a way of tackling those things in a modern context.
surprise cases/boss fights and whatnot disrupting your routing and being stuff you have to manage alongside the ones that you get called for all invoke that kind of 'surprise motherfucker!' design found in all the old REs that really help create tension at a core gameplay level- not just as a combat encounter but something that throws a wrench into your planning as a whole

i say DR1 specifically because the way it's designed is very clearly done to build upon those basic RE style 'survival horror' concepts in interesting and modern ways over simply remaking the old system and pretending that's all it takes to make a good game
DR2 understands the concepts but doesn't do them as well + makes concessions in terms of user friendliness. it's a more 'fun' game for it, but it loses some of the identity there and you can see it as a clear bridging point for the mess that DR3 is (in how it loses everything that makes DR1 an interesting and good game design-wise in exchange for things that folks only noticed about DR at a shallow level aka 'look at how many zombies there are! i wish there wasn't a time limit, i just wanna kill zombies man!'l)

It's also not clear if it will be a completely different game like FF7remake

I would be very very surprised if it weren't pretty close to REmake style. That's what I imagine the REmake and 0 HD ports were for: testing the viability of classic RE for the modern market and gaining experience again with that style of game. And since REmakeHD sold really really well, I dont see them fucking this up. They know people want classic style for it, and they already have the main series for pure action, and Revelations for action/survival hybrid.

Neiteio

Question about the fan remake of RE2 that was in development some time ago:

Were they using any of the assets from Darkside Chronicles? There's a ton of quality stuff they could've lifted from that game. The character models, creatures, bosses...

Jawmuncher

Question about the fan remake of RE2 that was in development some time ago:

Were they using any of the assets from Darkside Chronicles? There's a ton of quality stuff they could've lifted from that game. The character models, creatures, bosses...

Pretty sure that's what they were doing

RSB

Banned
I would be very very surprised if it weren't pretty close to REmake style. That's what I imagine the REmake and 0 HD ports were for: testing the viability of classic RE for the modern market and gaining experience again with that style of game. And since REmakeHD sold really really well, I dont see them fucking this up. They know people want classic style for it, and they already have the main series for pure action, and Revelations for action/survival hybrid.
Exactly. Not going the REmake route for the RE2 Remake would make zero sense.

Did you try the easter egg on the RE5 DLC?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKbmXh9Do_s
Of course I did. That easter egg and the final boss made that DLC worthwhile (everything else about it was pretty mediocre)

Neiteio

What kind of settings do you think would be cool in a future RE game?

I keep thinking that the RE equivalent of Prague would be amazing:

It's one of the oldest cities in the world, dating back millennia. A melting pot of different cultures and creeds. Lots of neat architecture and statuary, graveyards sandwiched between puppet shops and antique stores, etc. It's perfect for puzzles since its rich history means you could have all kinds of nonsensical contraptions! Also, the medieval roots mean you recapture that "RE4 feel."

It could lead to a castle complex on a hill overlooking town, not unlike Prague Castle, with its collection of medieval castles, cathedrals, palaces and gardens. Make it the family home of, well, The Family — the Illuminati-like organization hinted at in RE6, which could be like a lineage of aristocrats controlling world events from the shadows.

I'm hoping they'll be eccentric like Salazar and the Ashford twins, and live in a place like this:

And while this isn't unique to Prague, I'd like a sprawling botanical garden as a sub-area. Put it in the backyard of the castle complex. I'm talking like 300 acres of sculpted gardens, hedge mazes, treetop walkways, koi ponds, greenhouses, etc. Make the place crawling with Plant 42/43 derivatives and insect-based BOWs including spiders, millipedes and mantises. Maybe drop a giant alligator in one of the ponds for the RE2 fans.

Of course, the sculpted gardens could depict really unsettling subject matter, i.e. acts of sadism, etc. Set it in the evening, when the air is crackling with warm winds right before a storm, all of the leaves rustling in the breeze. Spooky!

What kind of settings would you guys like to see?

EDIT: Cool shot of Prague before a storm:

prague-hdr-3-lcbsdn.jpg

Zero-ELEC

Banned
What kind of settings do you think would be cool in a future RE game?

I keep thinking that the RE equivalent of Prague would be amazing:

It's one of the oldest cities in the world, dating back millennia. A melting pot of different cultures and creeds. Lots of neat architecture and statuary, graveyards sandwiched between puppet shops and antique stores, etc. It's perfect for puzzles since its rich history means you could have all kinds of nonsensical contraptions! Also, the medieval roots mean you recapture that "RE4 feel."

It could lead to a castle complex on a hill overlooking town, not unlike Prague Castle, with its collection of medieval castles, cathedrals, and gardens. Make it the family home of, well, The Family — the Illuminati-like organization hinted at in RE6, which could be like a lineage of aristocrats controlling world events from the shadows.

I'm hoping they'll be eccentric like Salazar and the Ashford twins, and live in a place like this:

And while this isn't unique to Prague, I'd like a sprawling botanical garden as a sub-area. Put it in the backyard of the castle complex. I'm talking like 300 acres of sculpted gardens, hedge mazes, treetop walkways, koi ponds, greenhouses, etc. Make the place crawling with Plant 42/43 derivatives and insect-based BOWs including spiders, millipedes and mantises. Maybe drop a giant alligator in one of the ponds for the RE2 fans.

Of course, the sculpted gardens could depict really unsettling subject matter, i.e. acts of sadism, etc. Set it in the evening, when the air is crackling with warm winds right before a storm, all of the leaves rustling in the breeze. Spooky!

What kind of settings would you guys like to see?

EDIT: Cool shot of Prague before a storm:

prague-hdr-3-lcbsdn.jpg

I'd always be up for some environments like those, would be gorgeous.

I'd like for some more Asian locales, both east and west. That'd be cool to see. We've only really seen Lanshiang (and I guess Marhawa Academy), which to be fair was fairly cool as we rarely get to see big skyscraper-y cities go full Biohazard.

Neiteio

I'd like to add to my Prague idea and say the biohazard should occur during a time of festival. There could be parade floats, confetti and tall puppets scattered about; flags and banners adorning every building; infected individuals wearing ethnic garb and other festive clothing. The idea could be the terrorists struck the city during its biggest tourist event.

I think my dream RE would start in a town like I described, and then proceed through the countryside (need some dark woodland wilderness!), and finally arrive at the remote castle complex with its castles, cathedrals and botanical gardens. Perhaps there could be a mountain in the distance, visible from the town, on which the castle complex looms, so you can always see it.

And of course there'd be a lab underground. (How original!)

strafer

So what weapon in the series is your favorite? I'm usually a pistols guy.

Blacktail in Resident Evil 4

Beretta 92F Custom 'Samurai Edge' in Resident Evil 5

Picador in Resident Evil 6

I usually roll with those weapons the entire game.

Seyavesh

most of the shotguns, really.
ones that really come to mind are:
re3 shotgun with enhanced ammo + western custom (ESPECIALLY the western custom w/ the fire rate glitch)
RE5 ithaca m37- it's the same as the RE4 one but looks nicer + cooler + is grossly effective
RE6 assault shotgun for how satisfying it is to use + enemy reactions. blowing holes in dudes and sending them flying back is great

oddly i don't really like the hydra because i think it looks really stupid despite being super powerful.
out of all of those my absolute favorite is easily the RE3 shotty with e.ammo, that thing is intensely satisfying to use and is one of the reasons why i see the game as an action game over a survival horror game because you can just street sweep the shit out of everything you encounter with it

Mikami found a good balance between setting the atmosphere and integrating action into RE4

It was a good blend of old meets new. Unfortunately imo the balance is gone.

He came close in the evil within but somehow still missed the mark

kogasu

Yep, gotta say, Red9 is my bestie.

So just to have something different I decided to play through the first game's DualShock version, it's been years since I've played that one.

It's probably best known for this song right here:

Mansion Basement

To this day, people still wonder how the soundtrack ended up this way, how Capcom actually released the game like that. (And why Capcom USA put that version on PSN, when Japan and Europe put up the regular Director's Cut.)

Sure, there's the whole thing with the composer being a hack fraud, but that doesn't really explain anything, as he most likely still used the same ghost writer he used for everything else he's worked on and that turned out fine.

My guess is that something went horribly wrong when they converted the songs to the PS1 sound format, the few orchestral pieces in the live action and CGI scenes are fine.

But that is either here nor there. I'm going to throw a controversial opinion into this thread. Most of the DualShock soundtrack is actually fine, with a few tracks arguably working better than the original OST. The biggest issue is just that all the bad tracks are *really* ear-gratingly bad.

So anyway, let's appreciate some of the actually good tracks.

Meeting Rebecca

Mansion First Floor

Second Floor Mansion

The Guardhouse

Where's Wesker

Save Room

More Rooms

Completed Picture Puzzle (The song gets ruined by the horrible sounding flute 30 seconds in, but you'll probably never hear that part in-game, so I guess this one counts too.)

Even for these songs I feel like some of the sound samples aren't quite right, but they convey a very eery, otherworldly feeling, that works very well. For the most part it's the more action-y songs that turned out terrible, the boss themes and such.

Well, that's it from me. Goodbye!

Neiteio

Lore question:

What is the canonical cause of the outbreak in Raccoon City?

I've read it was infected mice from Arklay Lab (Spencer Estate), and in Darkside Chronicles it also mentions G causing a t-virus spill in the city lab that infected the research staff.

Was it some combination of these two?

Also, is the G Adult Body created from Chief Irons in one scenario and Ben in another, or is it not clear where it comes from? (This is the life form separate from Birkins)

Neff

Lore question:

I've read it was infected mice from Arklay Lab (Spencer Estate), and in Darkside Chronicles it also mentions G causing a t-virus spill in the city lab that infected the research staff.

Also, is the G Adult Body created from Chief Irons in one scenario and Ben in another, or is it not clear where it comes from? (This is the life form separate from Birkins)

Resident Evil 2 explains all of this :)

Zero-ELEC

Banned
Lore question:

Kinda? The Raccoon City outbreak was already happening as early as September 10, but "monsters" were seen in the city limits in August. (This was due to the Arklay Mountains outbreak) However, this was propagated further by infected rats released during the Birkin lab fiasco.

Yeah, the G-Embryo bursts out of Irons or Ben depending on the scenario.

Outbreak is like half canon isn't it?
I'm sure it's fully canon.

Jawmuncher

Kinda? The Raccoon City outbreak was already happening as early as September 10, but "monsters" were seen in the city limits in August. (This was due to the Arklay Mountains outbreak) However, this was propagated further by infected rats released during the Birkin lab fiasco.

Yeah, the G-Embryo bursts out of Irons or Ben depending on the scenario.

I'm sure it's fully canon.

I want to say I recall that there are some timeline problems, which is why I said half. Can't remember the specifics though.

Mr_Zombie

Lore question:

It's the combination of both. Documents from RE3 mention zombies and monsters (Cerberus) appearing at the outskirts of Raccoon City long before Birkin's incident. Additionally there's the Dead Factory from RE3 - a malfunctioning waste disposal facility where dead B.O.W.s were stored to be disposed of.

Rats spreading the virus spilled by Birkin just sped up the infection, but the outbreak was bound to happen anyway. Maybe without the rats it would be on a much smaller scale.

cheez124

As much as I enjoyed co-op in 5, Revelations and such I hope we get a true single player RE again with 7.
i agree, and this is coming from someone who started the series with re5 and loves co-op games, just as long as they keep co-op for the extra modes. mercenaries duo is way too much fun

Mr_Zombie

Isn't the team who worked on REmake doing 2? that's what I heard at least.

If that's the case there's nothing to worry about.
I think

Actually, it's the team that worked on REmake HD, which includes people from the original REmake development (including the producer of REmake HD - Yoshiaki Hirabayashi).

News Bot

Banned
Lore question:

The Spencer Mansion was linked to the Raccoon City Underground Laboratory via sewers. Some time before the mansion personnel completely zombified or died off, contaminants began flowing after the t-Virus leak in the mansion when William Birkin and his wife traveled to the mansion to recover the new t-Virus, Tyrant embryo and the mutant strain of the virus that created Crimson Heads. However, these contaminants didn't do much damage.

These contaminants were actually an act by a paranoid William Birkin leaking the t-Virus into the Raccoon City sewers in order to create a localized biohazard that would prevent the U.S.S. (Umbrella Security Service) from reaching the underground laboratory, as he was anticipating being framed for the Mansion Incident by Umbrella and assassinated in order to steal his G-Virus, as he was in disagreement with Umbrella executives over the virus' direction and growing increasingly independant.

As well as leaking the virus in the sewers, Birkin also intentionally overloaded the processing capacity of the Incineration Disposal Plant P-12A (Disused Plant) and caused a biohazard in that facility, since it was also connected to the laboratory via the underground transport railway and could serve as an entry point for the U.S.S. This leak however spread into the soil surrounding the plant.

However, these biohazards were small, localized, and only affected a small handful of people who happened to be in those specific areas. While they caused the virus to spread throughout the city at a slow rate, the city's doom was caused by the large quantity leak of the t-Virus in the early hours of September 23 when the mutant G-Birkin killed the U.S.S. and smashed vials of the t-Virus in the case he intended to bring to Lieutenant General Derek C. Simmons and other U.S. military authorities. The virus was then carried throughout the city by insects and rodents until eventually a Zombie sparked a riot during a local football game at Warren Stadium that led to a massive simultaneous outbreak of Zombies which then poured into the streets and spread the virus further, creating a giant horde. Once this horde was dealt with, things subsided for a short time, but the virus had permeated so much, and there was a lot of local meddling that exacerbated the situation.

The story in this series is very intricate and detailed, but the games only show a fraction of it so as to not overwhelm the player with minutia and to keep the main narrative focused and simple.

Neiteio

The Spencer Mansion was linked to the Raccoon City Underground Laboratory via sewers. Some time before the mansion personnel completely zombified or died off, contaminants began flowing after the t-Virus leak in the mansion when William Birkin and his wife traveled to the mansion to recover the new t-Virus, Tyrant embryo and the mutant strain of the virus that created Crimson Heads. However, these contaminants didn't do much damage.

These contaminants were actually an act by a paranoid William Birkin leaking the t-Virus into the Raccoon City sewers in order to create a localized biohazard that would prevent the U.S.S. (Umbrella Security Service) from reaching the underground laboratory, as he was anticipating being framed for the Mansion Incident by Umbrella and assassinated in order to steal his G-Virus, as he was in disagreement with Umbrella executives over the virus' direction and growing increasingly independant.

As well as leaking the virus in the sewers, Birkin also intentionally overloaded the processing capacity of the Incineration Disposal Plant P-12A (Disused Plant) and caused a biohazard in that facility, since it was also connected to the laboratory via the underground transport railway and could serve as an entry point for the U.S.S. This leak however spread into the soil surrounding the plant.

However, these biohazards were small, localized, and only affected a small handful of people who happened to be in those specific areas. While they caused the virus to spread throughout the city at a slow rate, the city's doom was caused by the large quantity leak of the t-Virus in the early hours of September 23 when the mutant G-Birkin killed the U.S.S. and smashed vials of the t-Virus in the case he intended to bring to Lieutenant General Derek C. Simmons and other U.S. military authorities. The virus was then carried throughout the city by insects and rodents until eventually a Zombie sparked a riot during a local football game at Warren Stadium that led to a massive simultaneous outbreak of Zombies which then poured into the streets and spread the virus further, creating a giant horde. Once this horde was dealt with, things subsided for a short time, but the virus had permeated so much, and there was a lot of local meddling that exacerbated the situation.

The story in this series is very intricate and detailed, but the games only show a fraction of it so as to not overwhelm the player with minutia and to keep the main narrative focused and simple.
I suspected there was more to it. Thanks for the clarification!

Top Bottom