• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil Community |OT2| Best Fans Ever!

News Bot

Banned
Interestingly, the project he describes is actually a macro-level variation of the experiment used to create the Hypnos-T Type.

Many cells of different types were made to fight and those that survived were thrown at each other again...... the strong genes of the winning cells were selected to create the most powerful B.O.W. by incorporating them into the genes of the Tyrant... Commander Vincent advanced a new B.O.W. model development project on his own accord. Hundreds of thousands of gene selections were performed over about three weeks. As the experiment continued without a distinction between day and night, the scientists were hit with sleepiness and a certain cell was selected from all the other cells. The scientists named the gene of this cell Hypnos (God of Sleep). Due to this project the prototype of a powerful B.O.W., smaller than the conventional Tyrant, was completed.

OK, started RE2 for real last night (previously just sampled the beginning). I'm starting with Claire's Scenario A. I made it up to the Spade Key.

I wandered around the RPD for a half-hour looking for the Unicorn Medal. Despite going to the STARS office 10 times and spamming X against every object, I didn't notice Chris' diary on the desk since the soft backgrounds make everything blur together, lol.

But this game is great. Something I realized last night is it's actually fun to fight the zombies in RE2. I'm not sure I'd say the same thing about REmake... There's something super-satisfying about standing your ground in RE2 and laying waste to a huge pack of undead policemen shambling down the hall. They give you the ammo for it, too. And you're much more nimble dancing around the zombies.

Speaking of that moment with the horde, immediately past the east door of the RPD's main hall, I like how they throw a horde at you, but since you're by the door you can immediately turn around and leave if you feel unprepared. Good design.

I also like how they reward your thoroughness, i.e. double-checking a body will often give you bullets, and blindly feeling around behind a desk will uncover herbs.

The main theme is so good. The one iterated in the main hall — DOO, da DOO... do-da-do-da, DOO, da DOO. I also like the save theme.

Oh, and I like the color scheme of the cityscape. Something very appealing about the green fire escapes and the red brick buildings, along with the yellow graffiti and signage.

Claire's voice, though... Ehhh. At least her outfit is cool!

Currently playing RE2 for the first time, alongside RE4 for the one billionth time. Good times, good times. Looking forward to revisiting RE6 on PS4 at the end of the month! If anyone else is hyped for RE6, I recommend picking up the complete artworks. Udon released the English version of the book. It just arrived from Amazon today and it's excellent. So many amazing designs!

Glad to see you're liking RE2, it has by far the best pacing of the oldschool RE's.

I've also played some more RE6 while we're at it. Finished Chapter 4 of Leon's campaign. I generally like it, but the game takes control away from you way too often. Just the fight with Simmons on the train for example was basically, you fire a short burst of rounds in his general direction to trigger a cutscene, do it again, cutscene, try to do it again, but as soon as you start aiming, there's the next cutscene already. Finish him off by firing another short burst in his direction. The fight against Deborah was pretty much like this as well.

The underground catacombs weren't too great either, they reminded me too much of the underground temple in RE5, imo the worst part of that game.

The shootout in front of the church early on was fun, as that was basically Mercenaries mode on a very small map, combat is where the game really shines.

Before continuing with Chapter 5 I decided to give Chris's campaign a try and now I'm halfway through Chapter 2. Maybe I'm doing something wrong here, but it seems like this campaign really is intended to be played like a regular cover shooter, trying to take all those heavily armed mutants on head first doesn't get me very far. And as a regular cover shooter the game is not all that great, but maybe I'm just missing something here? I had heard that Chris' campaign was the best as far as the shooter/brawler mechanics go.

I've also played around with Mercenaries mode, absolutely no complaints there, that was already my favorite part in RE5. (For one because I didn't really have to deal with the game's horribly limited inventory too much.)

Mr_Zombie

But this game is great. Something I realized last night is it's actually fun to fight the zombies in RE2. I'm not sure I'd say the same thing about REmake... There's something super-satisfying about standing your ground in RE2 and laying waste to a huge pack of undead policemen shambling down the hall. They give you the ammo for it, too. And you're much more nimble dancing around the zombies.

Because in REmake (and RE1) you had to avoid zombies more often than not due to the small amount of ammo and either stiff zombies' animations (RE1, where if you were cornered by two zombies, you were basically dead, since pushing away one zombie doesn't affect the second zombie at all) or Crimson Heads (REmake). Those games are more focused on puzzles, exploration and avoiding enemies, whereas RE2 constantly throws groups of zombies at you that you have to kill (at least if you're an ordinary player, not someone who has the entire game memorized) and gives you enough ammo to do so.

That's why I laugh at people who are annoyed that RE games were turned into action-horror so "suddenly" with RE4/RE5/RE6. This is the direction the series was heading since the very beginning, with RE2 putting more focus on action, RE3 giving you dodge, even more weapons and ammo, and even bigger hordes of zombies etc.

Currently playing RE2 for the first time, alongside RE4 for the one billionth time. Good times, good times.

Remember that the valve handle in RE2 is like a hookshot in RE2 - a puzzle item that will be required to use more than once. I recommend picking it up from the item chest before you go into sewers and, if you want to avoid annoying backtracking, when you pass a rotating bridge after meeting a certain person in the sewers (if you've played the scenario in RE2, I'm talking about
Annette
), use the valve to rise the bridge.

Looking forward to revisiting RE6 on PS4 at the end of the month! If anyone else is hyped for RE6, I recommend picking up the complete artworks. Udon released the English version of the book. It just arrived from Amazon today and it's excellent. So many amazing designs!

I bought last year. Haven't read through it yet, only skimmed it, but I really like it. So many good designs with detailed descriptions about things most people probably don't even notice during the game.

Before continuing with Chapter 5 I decided to give Chris's campaign a try and now I'm halfway through Chapter 2. Maybe I'm doing something wrong here, but it seems like this campaign really is intended to be played like a regular cover shooter, trying to take all those heavily armed mutants on head first doesn't get me very far. And as a regular cover shooter the game is not all that great, but maybe I'm just missing something here? I had heard that Chris' campaign was the best as far as the shooter/brawler mechanics go.

No, no, NO! Don't play it as a cover shooter since the game sucks as such. Cover is only needed for quicker stamina recovery or when you really need to hide from enemies' attacks. Other than that, play it as a shooter/brawler. Enemies aren't really that hard to tackle when you approach them (remember about sliding!), stun them and then melee them to death.

Remember that unless you're shot by a sniper, you can sustain lots of ammo before you loose a full block of health. And you can easily notice most sniper attacks before they shoot. Also, when you are shot by a sniper and land on your ass, immediately press aim button - the character will automatically turn into the direction the shot came from.

And I agree with you about both Deborah and Simmons boss fights. Too many cut-scenes, too many interruptions. Deborah's fight at least could have been fun if the game didn't try to interrupt it every few seconds with both regular cut-scenes and in-game cut-scenes (e.g. suddenly changing camera to show you that there's an exploding barrel right in front of you).

Even the very first game had you drowning in ammo very fast, hell, in Jill's campaign they gave you a one-hit kill grenade launcher and enough ammo for it to last for most enemies in the game. They nerfed that one a bit in the REmake at least.

But yeah, RE2 is pretty much a tank controlled action game with some ressource management thrown in there. The puzzles aren't even worth mentioning, quite honestly, RE4 had harder puzzles than RE2, with the tile sliding puzzle and whatnot.

And if it's ressource management you want, the current action focused games still have that, RE5 especially with it's 9 measly inventory slots, not much for an action focused game like that. If you're just firing blindly, you'll run out fast.

No, no, NO! Don't play it as a cover shooter since the game sucks as such. Cover is only needed for quicker stamina recovery or when you really need to hide from enemies' attacks. Other than that, play it as a shooter/brawler. Enemies aren't really that hard to tackle when you approach them (remember about sliding!), stun them and then melee them to death.

I try whenever the opportunity arises and an enemy tries to get up close but the level design just doesn't always seem to encourage that playstyle. The beginning section on the rooftops for example, or the long, open areas during those "Defend your team members!" gameplay sections.

I'm not using the actual cover mechanic at least, that one is way too wonky, I'm usually rolling in and out of cover and to dodge a bit.

It was so great when Headshots with the shotgun weren't random.

Yeah, the shotguns in REmake were disappointing for that reason alone. I love the randomly head popping handgun in REmake (And the Director's Cut.) though.

Jawmuncher

Even the very first game had you drowning in ammo very fast, hell, in Jill's campaign they gave you a one-hit kill grenade launcher and enough ammo for it to last for most enemies in the game. They nerfed that one a bit in the REmake at least.

But yeah, RE2 is pretty much a tank controlled action game with some ressource management thrown in there. The puzzles aren't even worth mentioning, quite honestly, RE4 had harder puzzles than RE2, with the tile sliding puzzle and whatnot.

And if it's ressource management you want, the current action focused games still have that, RE5 especially with it's 9 measly inventory slots, not much for an action focused game like that. If you're just firing blindly, you'll run out fast.

RE5 item management to me was way more fun they RE4. Big part that you could do it on the fly. Going pro and reloading through inventory is godly.

dickroach

I've only played a couple of hours of RE5, and I think I rented RE on the GC however many years ago but I didn't "get it."

After re-watching a bunch of old GT videos and seeing Huber and Co.'s excitement for the series, I've gotten really interested in getting into. Got 1, 2 and 3 on the GC. Finna start up 1 tonight once the sun goes down

Jawmuncher

I've only played a couple of hours of RE5, and I think I rented RE on the GC however many years ago but I didn't "get it."

After re-watching a bunch of old GT videos and seeing Huber and Co.'s excitement for the series, I've gotten really interested in getting into. Got 1, 2 and 3 on the GC. Finna start up 1 tonight once the sun goes down

Nice enjoy. I have 1-4&CVX on gamecube. They work well there.

joe2187

Banned
Anyone have experience with the Umbrella Chronicles and Darkside chronicles on PS3?

Im having a difficult time trying to play the game with the DS3. Not sure about Umbrella chronicles but Darkside doesnt allow you to change the sensitivity of the analog control and it's making the game more difficult than it should be.

is the ideal way to play these games with the move only?

Neiteio

Anyone have experience with the Umbrella Chronicles and Darkside chronicles on PS3?

Im having a difficult time trying to play the game with the DS3. Not sure about Umbrella chronicles but Darkside doesnt allow you to change the sensitivity of the analog control and it's making the game more difficult than it should be.

is the ideal way to play these games with the move only?
I've been thoroughly addicted to Darkside Chronicles with the DS3 the past couple weeks. Maybe it's personal preference? I find it works extremely well

kogasu

What the hell?!? You can play Umbrella and Darkside chronicles with the DS3?!?! That's news to me. I've always avoided those PS3 versions because I assumed they required the PS Move.

Ludens

Banned
What the hell?!? You can play Umbrella and Darkside chronicles with the DS3?!?! That's news to me. I've always avoided those PS3 versions because I assumed they required the PS Move.

Yes, playing them right now. I don't know if I'm just bad, but I think those games are hard.
I mean, I manage to pass each level with no problem, but often you are forced to get an A to unlock a subscenario, and it's very hard even on Easy :S

Neiteio

My first playthrough of RE2 continues. Now Sherry and Claire are separated in the sewers. Sherry fell into a trash heap and Daddy G found her.

I found a machine gun and a side bag in a locker. I left the machine gun for Leon and took the side bag. But then I realized this must be why I found two bowguns. I guess I could've left the second bowgun for Leon?

In other small decision news, I used the cord to close the shutters in the basement hallway. Not sure what I'd go back down there for, but it's easier to avoid the horde in the west hall since you can just shortcut through the room where Marvin was.

Also, I wish these games didn't make puzzles based on playing cards. I don't know anything about cards, lol.

My first playthrough of RE2 continues. Now Sherry and Claire are separated in the sewers. Sherry fell into a trash heap and Daddy G found her.

I found a machine gun and a side bag in a locker. I left the machine gun for Leon and took the side bag. But then I realized this must be why I found two bowguns. I guess I could've left the second bowgun for Leon?

In other small decision news, I used the cord to close the shutters in the basement hallway. Not sure what I'd go back down there for, but it's easier to avoid the horde in the west hall since you can just shortcut through the room where Marvin was.

Also, I wish these games didn't make puzzles based on playing cards. I don't know anything about cards, lol.

IIRC Leon cannot use the bow gun.

Ludens

Banned
Man, Umbrella Chronicles is too hard even on easy. I mean, for the last chapter of the story, episode one of Umbrella something, the game spawns literally 20 hunters or so at once in a small location, and you find only one healing spray in the beginning of the chapter.

I also need to A rank the last episode for RE3 in order to unlock the sub scenario.

I like the game, but easy should be...well, easy.

? Playing cards? What do you mean? Puzzles for RE2 are brain-dead easy anyway, it's impossible getting stucked on a puzzle in that game.

Neiteio

? Playing cards? What do you mean? Puzzles for RE2 are brain-dead easy anyway, it's impossible getting stucked on a puzzle in that game.
The puzzle where you light the fires to get the cog. You can figure out the correct combination via trial and error, but the clue is based on playing cards.

You can rescue the owner? I had no idea. Always assumed that he was toast.
Gah, sorry — I need to sleep. I meant if you scavenge his corpse after killing all of the zombies.

Ludens

Banned
The puzzle where you light the fires to get the cog. You can figure out the correct combination via trial and error, but the clue is based on playing cards.

Ah yeah, but there are only three switches, even trying all combinations require one minute.

Mariah_Carey_-_Thirsty.mp3

Britney_Spears_-_Gimme_More.mp3

tumblr_n0tbfrmMpD1rx7p5ho1_500.gif

RE, the things you do to me!

Gah, sorry — I need to sleep. I meant if you scavenge his corpse after killing all of the zombies.

Taking both bowguns doesn't affect anything, both charcaters have an entirely independent set of weapons in their scenarios, except for possibly the machine gun and all the unlockable weapons. (If you're playing as Leon, the dude actually carries a shotgun.)

Taking the gun shop dude's bowgun basically only gives you a bit of extra ammo.

Speaking of...there's a little secret if you do not pick up any items until you reach the police station in the A scenario.
You'll meet a zombified Brad in front of the station (The helicopter pilot from the first game.), he can take a lot more hits than the regular zombies and if you kill him, you get a special key that gives you access to a locker where you can get some extra outfits and in Claire's case a revolver.

ksdixon

OK, started RE2 for real last night (previously just sampled the beginning). I'm starting with Claire's Scenario A. I made it up to the Spade Key.

I wandered around the RPD for a half-hour looking for the Unicorn Medal. Despite going to the STARS office 10 times and spamming X against every object, I didn't notice Chris' diary on the desk since the soft backgrounds make everything blur together, lol.

Speaking of that moment with the horde, immediately past the east door of the RPD's main hall, I like how they throw a horde at you, but since you're by the door you can immediately turn around and leave if you feel unprepared. Good design.

I also like how they reward your thoroughness, i.e. double-checking a body will often give you bullets, and blindly feeling around behind a desk will uncover herbs.

The main theme is so good. The one iterated in the main hall — DOO, da DOO... do-da-do-da, DOO, da DOO. I also like the save theme.

Oh, and I like the color scheme of the cityscape. Something very appealing about the green fire escapes and the red brick buildings, along with the yellow graffiti and signage.

Claire's voice, though... Ehhh. At least her outfit is cool!

Currently playing RE2 for the first time, alongside RE4 for the one billionth time. Good times, good times. Looking forward to revisiting RE6 on PS4 at the end of the month! If anyone else is hyped for RE6, I recommend picking up the complete artworks. Udon released the English version of the book. It just arrived from Amazon today and it's excellent. So many amazing designs!

Really? I always thought Alison courts voice was sexy. She was jubilee in xmen the animated series too if memory serves correctly

Golnei

Claire was kind of uneven in RE2, for me - she fluctuated between "below average" and "pretty OK"; even if any scene with Sherry was unfortunate, especially since she sounded older than Claire half the time. Irons was perfect, though.

It wasn't great, but I actually think RE2 had better acting than REmake, overall.

ksdixon

Is my memory super faulty? REmake HD ps4 has type c controls with run being circle. I always remember type c run it being square on my pal ps1 RE2 and re3.

Claire was kind of uneven in RE2, for me - she fluctuated between "below average" and "pretty OK"; even if any scene with Sherry was unfortunate, especially since she sounded older than Claire half the time. Irons was perfect, though.

It wasn't great, but I actually think RE2 had better acting than REmake, overall.

REmakes VA is awful, the characters all sound like they don't give a fuck and the attemps at deliberatly corny lines from the translator fall completly flat.

The original's VA was amazingly bad, but in such a way that it became entertaining egain and all the dumb lines were born from real ineptitude, I can appreciate that.

RE2's VA isn't really good, but it has it's charm.

As an unpopular opinion on GAF I wouldn't mind RE7 being a massive long game like RE6 now that we are getting REmake 2, which all signs point to it being more in line of the classic games. Than there is Revalations that mixes both. I thought it was cool that each campaigne had its own final boss which could have had their own game. Looking back at RE6 4 years later, I think it might be my favorite 3rd person action shooter of all time (I consider RE4 a survival shooter). This is coming from somebody who's been in love with the series since 96.

Hopefully if REmake 2 does good we can get REmake 3, which needs a remake more imo. If we get an RE3 remake than I would love to see a Carlos campaigne since we never see what he's doing when Jill is off on her own. This will open opportunities for Capcom to add new locations in Racoon City, enemies and bosses, since Nemessis doesn't really give a shit about Carlos.

Would also like it to be more balanced with the difficulty. On Normal it was piss easy and on Hard it was impossible. Would nice to have some middle ground here. Let us start off with just enough ammo and health to get by the beginning of the game. im not saying give me the sub machine gun to start, but a few extra handgun bullets would be nice.

Psxphile

Guess I'm not the only one taking advantage of that sweet RE sale on Sony systems. I picked up RE2, RE3, RE:CVX and (because I never got the chance to play 'em), the Chronicles bundle. That last item finally brought me to my PS3 Slim's 120 GB limit after about 4 years or more owning the thing (that's what happens when you buy mostly physical and splurge on digital during big sales), I had to delete some other stuff to get them all to fit.

I was tempted to get even more, but I already have RE6 and RE:R1 on PC (haven't played them yet), RE5 on PS3 (really enjoyed that one) and I want to pick up physical versions of RE:R2 for PS4 when it goes down on price. I still have a copy of RE4 for my old Gamecube but that's packed away, think I'll wait for the PS4 port to pick it up again.

ANYHOO, been playing RE2 after not having played it in a good long while. Used to replay so much I could score 'A's in all scenarios AND finish under 2 hours back in the day, but for now I'll just play casual. Doing ClaireA->LeonB since everyone knows that's the best one even if only to hear Leon say that famous line right before the end credits.

Made it to the sewers w/ Claire last night before I stopped playing due to death by sneaky spiders. Decided to take the machine gun and leave the sidepack for Leon, but I forgot to rig up the blinds so I got 'blinds'sided by extra zombies just before leaving the R.P.D. building. Also for some reason I never found the Station Floor 2 map? Must of missed it somewhere, good God I'm rusty. Gonna play some more in a bit, want to finish up Claire A before I have to head out to work.

I was thinking of taking advantage of getting RE0 HD, but it happens to be the only classic RE game that I didn't like. It was even the worst part in Umbrella Chronicles. The only fun part in that game was the train and the photo Tyrant. Everything else was pretty meh.

REmakes VA is awful, the characters all sound like they don't give a fuck and the attemps at deliberatly corny lines from the translator fall completly flat.

The original's VA was amazingly bad, but in such a way that it became entertaining egain and all the dumb lines were born from real ineptitude, I can appreciate that.

RE2's VA isn't really good, but it has it's charm.

The original's VA is so bad it's good (and endlessly quotable). REmake's VA is just plain bad and forgettable.

The original's VA is so bad it's good (and endlessly quotable). REmake's VA is just plain bad and forgettable.

"Really, Wesker is a crazy man!"

"Haha, so much for him! We got...to the root...of the problem. Saved again!"

"I'm really...embarrased. I was clumsy."

"This is your savior? You say this failure, is your savior!?"

"I told you don't worry. I'll just go and get some fresh air and BE EATEN BY A MONSTER!"

"I'm sorry for my lack of manners, but I'm not used to escorting men."

"It says that a great deal of research on the Tyrant Virus exist right here. We should BLOW THIS PLACE UP!"

"He is sleeping with the ultimate failure. Hurry up! I wanna get outta here!"

"All weak people exist to be eaten."

Jawmuncher

I still have a feeling Krauser will be coming back for RE7. I dunno I feel like In some ways Capcom is gonna do some more "hey remember this?" To get some people who got off the boat back on.

They already did it with sherry in RE6 and Barry in Revelations 2. Plus a familiar villain wouldn't be a bad thing to have.

strafer

I still have a feeling Krauser will be coming back for RE7. I dunno I feel like In some ways Capcom is gonna do some more "hey remember this?" To get some people who got off the boat back on.

They already did it with sherry in RE6 and Barry in Revelations 2. Plus a familiar villain wouldn't be a bad thing to have.

But isn't Krauser super dead? I mean, he got killed twice in RE4.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
But isn't Krauser super dead? I mean, he got killed twice in RE4.

I'd take a dead Krauser over a live Jake TBQH

EDIT
I was thinking of taking advantage of getting RE0 HD, but it happens to be the only classic RE game that I didn't like. It was even the worst part in Umbrella Chronicles. The only fun part in that game was the train and the photo Tyrant. Everything else was pretty meh.

Eh, game is what it is, though it's way more enjoyable once you know what to do with item management. It improves over multiple playthroughs. Still, lurkers are shit and the hookshot really is kind of a dick move

Jawmuncher

Eh they could pull him staying alive. In Ada's story there wasn't anything special that cemented the fact.

Also I like Jake. So interested to see what they do with him.

I've now finished both Leon's and Chris's campaign in RE6.

The second half of Chris's campaign was imo way better than the first, especially the beginning of Chapter 4. They put you into this huge open area with constantly spawning enemies and some snipers in the distance for good measure. Open areas is where RE6's combat shines the most...the same was true for RE4 and RE5 actually, which is exactly why they had so many huge arena stages to fight in, but in RE6 for the most part it's very narrow hallways with lots of corners to take. I can see where the level design complaints come from.

Leon's last chapter kinda went by very quick, it opens up with you simply running through endlessly respawning zombie hordes until you get to the multi-stage final boss. Honestly, whenever you actually got to fight against him inbetween the cutscenes he was very fun, but at least on Normal not much of a threat. In general the boss fights in this game were pretty good, contrary to what I've heard about them. Except for the first battle against Simmons, and Deborah, I already mentioned those, they were nothing more but glorified QTE cutscenes. But the final boss of Chris's campaign was pretty fun as well.

I dunno where I'd rank the game compared to RE5, I thought that game had some really shitty sections as well, but just like that game, I'd still consider RE6 overall good.

braves01

Banned
I just noticed Umbrella and Darkside Chronicles are on sale with all the rest of the RE games. The only thing is I don't have a move controller (does anyone?). How do they play with a ds3 or should I just get them on wii eventually?

I just noticed Umbrella and Darkside Chronicles are on sale with all the rest of the RE games. The only thing is I don't have a move controller (does anyone?). How do they play with a ds3 or should I just get them on wii eventually?

I found 4 move controllers at a swap meet for 25 cents each lol

RSB

Banned
What the hell was Capcom thinking when designing the control settings for RE0?

I'm not against them introducing new button configurations, even if they are awful (run on Circle? LOL) but why the hell couldn't they keep the control settings from REmake HD as an option?

Thank god for button remapping, I guess (still far from ideal though, having cancel on the Square button is annoying as fuck)

Top Bottom