• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil Community |OT2| Best Fans Ever!

Jawmuncher

While true, zombies were unsettling because they had clearly lost all sense of humanity. They were completely 100% animalistic beasts, who just happened to still have the physical form of a human. I didn't find Ganados or Majinis scary because they were still much more human than beast.

I just don't understand why Capcom thinks I'm going to be scared of an old woman with bad teeth. At least make a tentacle or two pop out of her eyes or something. ;P

As much of a joke as this is, it's true. There was nothing frightening about her. Considering half the jokes are about it being grandma, seems it's not really scaring anyone. This is part of why i'm having trouble with the game. There's time's where it's good to not know things, and times where you should at least get a little bit. It was the same case with family man. At least the girl in the Kitchen demo had a knife, and blood on her. She was scary.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
Maybe along with combat, they are waiting to show scary enemies

ta-dum

I still think it can be good, but the messaging from Capcom is confusing. Really hoping to see something awesome at TGS

Jawmuncher

Maybe along with combat, they are waiting to show scary enemies

ta-dum

I still think it can be good, but the messaging from Capcom is confusing. Really hoping to see something awesome at TGS

Agreed. The next showing needs to be something that'll reconfirm the fears of people who are still skeptical. Ok we got it, you're going for more scares and atmosphere. Now show us the other half that'll get us on board.

While true, zombies were unsettling because they had clearly lost all sense of humanity. They were completely 100% animalistic beasts, who just happened to still have the physical form of a human. I didn't find Ganados or Majinis scary because they were still much more human than beast.

I just don't understand why Capcom thinks I'm going to be scared of an old woman with bad teeth. At least make a tentacle or two pop out of her eyes or something. ;P

Hide and seek games are only as scary as the enemies that chase you in them. The enemies have to be compelling enough to make you want to run and hide. If they're not scary, running and hiding feels pointless.

And maybe something like that will, eventually, like how eventually the Ganados and Majinis had gigantic tentacles pop out their necks. Clearly, the girl running knows something about this creature that we don't.

RSB

Banned
Just saw the new RE7 trailer. All my fears of it being an Outlast/PT clone have vanished. They really nailed the RE vibe, and the combat looks amazing.

Kappa.

Just awful.

RedSnake

Nah, when the final version of RE4 was shown for the first time, RE message boards were filled with "what the hell is this crap?!", "this isn't RE!", "where are zombies and Umbrella!" kind of posts (
I know, I was one of them >_>
).

And to his day I still hold that RE4 is the worst RE game. (But one of the best GAMES ever made)

But PLEEEEEASE Capcom... show some combat/puzzle/boss fight already so I can relax on RE7.

JayEH

It's going to be that RE2 and 7 will both be for classic fans (and Rev2 was supposed to be for them as well) while the action fans get nothing.

It's going to be that RE2 and 7 will both be for classic fans (and Rev2 was supposed to be for them as well) while the action fans get nothing.

I may be wrong, but didn't they confirm they were continuing the Revelations games? I would assume that's where the RE4 style game with co-op will go.

Jawmuncher

I think there will be something for Action Fans. But I think it'll be a new titled series. I don't see revelations going forward . Especially since it's not really action in the vein of 4-5
You just got Umbrella Corps. How ungrateful!
Lol

I may be wrong, but didn't they confirm they were continuing the Revelations games? I would assume that's where the RE4 style game with co-op will go.
I don't think it's confirmed. But they didn't cancel them or anything.

I think there will be something for Action Fans. But I think it'll be a new titled series. I don't see revelations going forward . Especially since it's not really action in the vein of 4-5

Huh? The Revelation games were definitely in the style of 4-6. The pace was a bit slower, but still very much action focused, and they had coop

I don't think it's confirmed. But they didn't cancel them or anything.

I may be wrong then, but I know Revelations 2 did well, sold over a million copies in its first month I believe. It's definitely going to stick around in some form or another.

Jawmuncher

Huh? The Revelation games were definitely in the style of 4-6. The pace was a bit slower, but still very much action focused, and they had coop

I may be wrong then, but I know Revelations 2 did well, sold over a million copies in its first month I believe. It's definitely going to stick around in some form or another.

Gameplay wise both took a huge step back from 4-6 is what I was getting at. I couldn't imagine playing mercs with either of those gameplay styles.

I think a big part of what worked for the zombies (and this is something that RE2 did better than RE1 and RE3 did even better than RE2) was the reminder that they *were* formerly human - you'd get these reminders and suggestions of what some of these people were doing before they died and the real sense that you were going through an *aftermath* - that you weren't just going through something horrific but were also sort of a witness to tragedy. Essentially, that these were monsters, but that they were also, horrifyingly, victims.

The only serious equivalent that RE4 had to that was the end credits depicting the conversion of the peaceful villagers into Ganados, which I generally found to be the most unsettling part of the game. Especially the bit where all of the children are led away from the village *shudders*.

I mean, so far 7 doesn't really look like it's for classic fans *or* for action fans, honestly.

As for the RE4/5/6 style of game design, I think if Capcom ports that gameplay over to a big-budget Dino Crisis game, everybody wins.

I mean, so far 7 doesn't really look like it's for classic fans *or* for action fans, honestly.

As for the RE4/5/6 style of game design, I think if Capcom ports that gameplay over to a big-budget Dino Crisis game, everybody wins.

Screw that, Dino Crisis needs go back to being survival horror like the first game. It also needs to start having games made.

How does someone who wants that for Resident Evil win? I liked Dino Crisis, but I like RE and its universe and characters better, so I don't see it as a win. I want another Revelations, or Revelations styled game with classic RE characters and/or new faces. I want to see the conclusion of the Alex Wesker story (assuming RE7 doesn't continue that storyline). As cool as a new DC would be, that doesn't help me there.

Screw that, Dino Crisis needs go back to being survival horror like the first game. It also needs to start having games made.

Nah, I think the action style works better for fighting dinosaurs. DC2, I think, helped give the series a much more unique identity than the first game, which I enjoyed, but was definitely a little too much of a RE clone.

Jawmuncher

A new Dino crisis would probably go action just to differentiate it from the current RE games. Unless this shift to horror again is huge for RE that it make capcom think about applying it to franchises.

I personally would prefer action, just because it would open up more possibilities for encounters and the dinosaurs you'd fight against.

JayEH

Not a fan of 2. I think the controls and gameplay weren't well suited for a PS1 action game. I do think a modern DC would work better as an action game but I prefer 1 more since it is just RE with dinos so it can't be bad.

Jawmuncher

It's crazy the shift DC1 to DC2 had.
That series really was doing a lot before RE followed behind and did some of the same things.

Being just "RE with Dinos" is probably one of the reasons I don't like the first DC as much. It really didn't have its own identity. I enjoyed it and all back in the day, but I feel like it needed something to distinguish itself, and that's why I like DC2 a lot better. I didn't have any real issues with the way it played. I haven't played either of those in a long time, though, even though I have the PSN re-releases.

It's a shame what they did to the series. I'll never understand Dino Crisis 3. Like...why would you ever think of taking the series in that direction? And as a Xbox exclusive game, too? It's almost like they were going out of their way to kill the franchise.

TreIII

A new Dino crisis would probably go action just to differentiate it from the current RE games. Unless this shift to horror again is huge for RE that it make capcom think about applying it to franchises.

I personally would prefer action, just because it would open up more possibilities for encounters and the dinosaurs you'd fight against.

And I think an action game would definitely be the right choice, if they were at all interested in taking advantage of the impressionable Jurassic World movie-goer demographic...who has yet to be cultivated and marketed to, no less.

DC 1 was a great game and DC2 was a great game. I really liked the environments in DC2. from pre historic jungles, to the volcanic caves, to the abandoned towns. The evolution from DC1 to 2 felt organic. It felt like a smooth transition and not a complete change. Which is what capcom did with re 3-4 and now 6-7.

DC2 and 1 still to me one of the greatest video games ever made. they tried to do something fancy with part 3 and failed miserably.

Also you guys think if they do make re2 REmake style will it outsell part 7. The amnesia/PT formula is hot on market right now. Let's players and other eat it up. Re 7 will probably be a tremendous success with its limited combat and probably heavy emphasis on hide n' seek.

Jawmuncher

DC 1 was a great game and DC2 was a great game. I really liked the environments in DC2. from pre historic jungles, to the volcanic caves, to the abandoned towns. The evolution from DC1 to 2 felt organic. It felt like a smooth transition and not a complete change. Which is what capcom did with re 3-4 and now 6-7.

DC2 and 1 still to me one of the greatest video games ever made. they tried to do something fancy with part 3 and failed miserably.

Also you guys think if they do make re2 REmake style will it outsell part 7. The amnesia/PT formula is hot on market right now. Let's players and other eat it up. Re 7 will probably be a tremendous success with its limited combat and probably heavy emphasis on hide n' seek.

You know I dunno if Re2make will outsell RE7. I think it's going to depend on the reception on RE7. But then again Re6 got mixed and still ended up being their second highest selling game. I do think if they push the nostalgia angle, they'll be raking in the money though.

You know I dunno if Re2make will outsell RE7. I think it's going to depend on the reception on RE7. But then again Re6 got mixed and still ended up being their second highest selling game. I do think if they push the nostalgia angle, they'll be raking in the money though.

yeah i am thinking RE7 will be a huge success. But judging from the sales success of remake and re0, remake of 2 will not do bad either.

Also if they ever make a real sequel to DC2 please no more underwater stages. hated that part.

JayEH

I'm really unsure about RE7 sales. I think they probably will make their 4 million sales target but I think there's a significant chance it could miss it since there is this big outcry right now since this is the biggest departure for the series. Though like Jaw said RE6 did end up selling very well even with bad reviews and the change in the direction will be popular on youtube leading to more sales. So yeah odds are in favor of it doing well but we'll see.

Jawmuncher

To be honest they're pretty shit and don't add anything a single sentence cannot fully cover.
I mean true you don't have to I guess, but they do add a bit.

Are they? I have them but never bothered to play them
They're not very long and add a bit more story.
I'm really unsure about RE7 sales. I think they probably will make their 4 million sales target but I think there's a significant chance it could miss it since there is this big outcry right now since this is the biggest departure for the series. Though like Jaw said RE6 did end up selling very well even with bad reviews and the change in the direction will be popular on youtube leading to more sales. So yeah odds are in favor of it doing well but we'll see.
I think a big factor will be based on when they decide to show more.

I think the fact that it's a mainline, numbered Resident Evil will make RE7 successful, but even if it sucks and it's not, I'm not super worried. I bet they've got an action-based RE in the style of RE4-6 in development right now that they can announce super quick as a save if RE7 is a bust. And they've got the RE2 remake to to save goodwill as well.

Honestly, the most worrying thing for me is that Capcom seems to willingly accept a 2.5 to 3 million sales contraction from RE 5/6 to RE 7. This is their flagship franchise. They either massively cut the budget from RE 5/6 and this is their admission that they simply can't keep up with the rigors of AAA production/budget or this is them throwing whatever than can at the wall to see what sticks. We all know that RE 6 was a bloated, over budget mess of a production so I understand them cutting the budget. But cutting sales forecast by almost 40%? And God help them if it sells much lower than that since the highest selling FPS horror game like they're showing was Alien Isolation with 2.1 million copies sold.

JayEH

Honestly, the most worrying thing for me is that Capcom seems to willingly accept a 2.5 to 3 million sales contraction from RE 5/6 to RE 7. This is their flagship franchise. They either massively cut the budget from RE 5/6 and this is their admission that they simply can't keep up with the rigors of AAA production/budget or this is them throwing whatever than can at the wall to see what sticks. We all know that RE 6 was a bloated, over budget mess of a production so I understand them cutting the budget. But cutting sales forecast by almost 40%? And God help them if it sells much lower than that since the highest selling FPS horror game like they're showing was Alien Isolation with 2.1 million copies sold.

This most likely is it. Typical Capcpom move.

TreIII

This most likely is it. Typical Capcpom move.

To be fair...can you blame them, though? They spent so much money on costly ventures last gen, from outsourcing to huge AAA budget affairs, something had to give.

It's honestly good to see Capcom's execs be a bit more modest and reasonable when it comes to their budgets and projections. I guess the real test will be if we can actually start seeing some more mid-tier game development again.

JayEH

To be fair...can you blame them, though? They spent so much money on costly ventures last gen, from outsourcing to huge AAA budget affairs, something had to give.

It's honestly good to see Capcom's execs be a bit more modest and reasonable when it comes to their budgets and projections. I guess the real test will be if we can actually start seeing some more mid-tier game development again.

I do understand to an extent but that's really a whole other discussion. I get they needed to tone it down after RE6 I just wish they didn't go in the complete opposite direction.

Mr_Zombie

It would be some shit if capcom went

RE7 will be for old school fans
RE2 will be remade as an action game for action fans.

I wouldn't want RE2 to be a full-blown action game (like RE5-6), but I would love the Raccoon City section to be similar in atmosphere to the Tall Oak's section from Leon's chapter 1 (only better and with less jank). One of the things the game did right was to show city in chaos, overrun by zombies, burning cars everywhere, random car with a dead driver behind the wheel speeding right in front of you... Make the setting as much oppressive as you can so you would really want to hide inside the RPD thinking it might be safer and not just go there because the game requires you to.

What you guys think about a RE open world game? A game that takes place in raccoon city during the events of RE 2 and 3.

How would the game work from a story and gameplay perspective? Curious as I've only played open world RPGs and MGSV and they tend to detract a lot from a tight narrative. Personally, I think it wouldn't work and would like your thoughts.

Hey gang! Just joining this community thread for the first time.

My experience with the series pretty much started with RE4. I don't count my time with RE2 because all I did was play the opening sequence in the bar.

So I've played RE 4-6 (loved 4 & 5, hated 6), and now I've just picked up the RE origins collection for PS4 on disc. I believe this is RE0 and REmake?

Anyway, no idea what these games are like or what to expect, especially with the control scheme since I know these are "oldschool" RE controls. I hear the controls have been tweaked for this edition? What are they like?

Thanks a bunch.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Anyone who owns Umbrella Corps, heads-up, on Steam it just got a huge update. It randomly updated with 1.9 GB, so checked. It added the following:

-New RE6 China-based map
-New night versions of all the maps
-New "Four Survivors" mode
-New weapons & items
-New cosmetics (including a Mega Man sticker and some classic RE monster ones)

I'll have to net my friends to play definitely.

Hey gang! Just joining this community thread for the first time.

My experience with the series pretty much started with RE4. I don't count my time with RE2 because all I did was play the opening sequence in the bar.

So I've played RE 4-6 (loved 4 & 5, hated 6), and now I've just picked up the RE origins collection for PS4 on disc. I believe this is RE0 and REmake?

Anyway, no idea what these games are like or what to expect, especially with the control scheme since I know these are "oldschool" RE controls. I hear the controls have been tweaked for this edition? What are they like?

Thanks a bunch.

The modern control scheme allows you to move freely in any direction. It basically controls like every other game in existence and eliminates most of the challenge in dodging zombies. I recommend playing with the classic scheme (tank controls like RE4).

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Also, Dusk Golem should make videos for his analyses. I searched for some RE7 ones and they paled in comparison.

Nudull

Banned
I'm really tempted to do a digital pre-order for RE7. Then again, I wanted to do the same for No Man's Sky and...well, we all know how that turned out.

Top Bottom