• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil Community |OT2| Best Fans Ever!

Beat RE3 yesterday. Pretty fun game. Very derivative from RE2 obviously but introduced some neat stuff like quick turning and gunpowders. The dodge mechanic was hit-or-miss, pun intended. I also appreciated that the difficulty was a notch higher than RE2. I still like REmake and RE2 much more, however.

So I tried Code Veronica and shut it off after 10 minutes. That character Steve is pretty awful. I'm not going to put up with that shit.

I thought it was pretty different from RE2 actually. 2 is essentially 1 but expanded in scope, swapping the mansion for a police station (and increasing amount of enemies and whatnot). 3 not only adds dodging, ammo mixing, live descisions, and nemesis constantly stalking you, but greatly mixes up the pacing and level design by not having one central location but has an almost linear succession of mini hub levels, which gives it a more driving and action packed feel to it.

RE3's got lots of variations in terms of precisely how the story plays out, too - it's not just the live decisions, it's the order in which you choose to tackle objectives, it's whether you choose to visit Mikhail partway through gathering trolley parts, it's whether you run from or defeat the Nemesis in every encounter, et cetera. Love that about it. I'm a huge fan of RE2's zapping system, but what RE3 does is a really nice alternative. People also think RE3 is like an RE2 expansion but it actually only shares a very few screens with it, has better enemy textures and generally much better prerendered environments, introduces tons of new mechanics, et cetera - it's absolutely a high quality entry in the series even if it doesn't move the story forward a whole lot beyond the 'goodbye raccoon city' plot point. RE3 Mercenaries is also brilliant and a much more fun way of unlocking super weapons than speed running the game without saving.

Also, Sub_Level, welcome to the Correct CV Opinions Club.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
There is one area where RE3 was objectively a step down from RE2. And this is a nitpick.

In RE2 you can easily mash through text by pressing a button. RE3 does not let you do that. You have to hold the button to make text go faster, while occasionally tapping the buttons to skip to the next text segment. Its slower and more awkward.

I played US version of 2 and PAL version of 3 so maybe it's a region difference.

Does RE3 get a lot of flak? It seems pretty well loved for the most part. Hell, Nemesis is probably one of the most liked and referenced enemies in the series outside the classic zombie. The only 'flak' it tends to get, that I see, is the fact that it's basically a pointless side-story as far as the canon goes, and I mean...that's just an objective fact I would say. It really adds nothing to the overall story or lore of RE. As far as the game itself, though, I always see it praised.

CV is the one that I, for the life of me, will never understand why it's so hated. It definitely ranks on the low end of the spectrum of the mainline games, but it's not really awful at all. I wouldn't even say it's the worst mainline game. I remember liking it when I played it originally on PS2, then seeing the vile hate it got, being confused, and then replayed it with the PS3 re-release...still found it alright.

Mr_Zombie

Does RE3 get a lot of flak? It seems pretty well loved for the most part. Hell, Nemesis is probably one of the most liked and referenced enemies in the series outside the classic zombie. The only 'flak' it tends to get, that I see, is the fact that it's basically a pointless side-story as far as the canon goes, and I mean...that's just an objective fact I would say. It really adds nothing to the overall story or lore of RE. As far as the game itself, though, I always see it praised.

It depends on how you look at it. I always treat it as equal to RE2 when it comes to the importance to the overall canon. RE2 focuses more on Birkin family and the underground lab, tells a more-or-less self-contained story. RE3, on the other hand, has weaker main story but gives you a broader view on the whole Raccoon City: its relation to Umbrella (how almost every major building in the city was funded by the corporation) and the process of its destruction (right to the very end); it also gives you more info on what exactly happened with characters from RE1 between the games and after Raccoon City incident, adds a lot of world building, sets up few events that would end up being used in later games (Jill's immunity to the virus, Leon ending up as a government agent, Sherry being taken by a government).

It depends on how you look at it. I always treat it as equal to RE2 when it comes to the importance to the overall canon. RE2 focuses more on Birkin family and the underground lab, tells a more-or-less self-contained story. RE3, on the other hand, has weaker main story but gives you a broader view on the whole Raccoon City: its relation to Umbrella (how almost every major building in the city was funded by the corporation) and the process of its destruction (right to the very end); it also gives you more info on what exactly happened with characters from RE1 between the games and after Raccoon City incident, adds a lot of world building, sets up few events that would end up being used in later games (Jill's immunity to the virus, Leon ending up as a government agent, Sherry being taken by a government).

RE2 drives the story forward, while adding significantly to the lore with Birkin's research and its relation to what Umbrella was doing with the T-Virus, both the BOW idea and Spencer's actual intention behind it all, details what Umbrella did during the Outbreak, and then directly leads to the events in Code Veronica. It's far more important than RE3 to the canon. The stuff about Raccoon City is fairly interesting, but honestly, Racoon itself is not a hugely important aspect of the story. What occurs there is significant, but only in the context of the driving force of the story being about what Umbrella is doing from 1 to CV (and that funnels into the events of 4-6 and the Revelation games).

I will admit, though, that I forgot about all the endings that detail other survivors, which would be important, but most of that is so brief I don't know if I feel it really elevates it to more than a good side story.

Jawmuncher

I've heard resi 5 on PS4/Xbone has technical issues, have they been patched?

From what I have played nothing major. It doesn't hold 60FPS in intense locations though. However they've been said to be working on it still with a patch at some point. The current price for it on sale is a good deal. regardless.

Sub_Level

It wasn't a point of annoyance that Nemesis chased me all throughout RE3. In fact it was pretty damn cool. You just learn to KNOW that when it's a quiet zone that Nemesis will pop out and sud

Jawmuncher

It wasn't a point of annoyance that Nemesis chased me all throughout RE3. In fact it was pretty damn cool. You just learn to KNOW that when it's a quiet zone that Nemesis will pop out and sud

This is kind of the one thing i'd like RE7 to have. Not a run and hide mechanic like Alien isolation, but it would be interesting for there to be an enemy that functions much like Nemesis. However make the encounters more unexpected and once again the choice of fighting or running away.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Yep RE3 gets warm mode flak than it deserves just because it shares raccoon city with RE2.
It barely even shares anything with RE2. There are some (VERY FEW) reused areas, but it's not out of laziness. It's meant to instill a sense of continuity and evoke a feeling of nostalgia in the player.

(I'm agreeing with you)

This is kind of the one thing i'd like RE7 to have. Not a run and hide mechanic like Alien isolation, but it would be interesting for there to be an enemy that functions much like Nemesis. However make the encounters more unexpected and once again the choice of fighting or running away.

Yeah that would be awesome. Some enemies that are killable, but have a lot of health and are very powerful and can stalk you around the whole house would be super intense game of cat and mouse that would be a lot more dynamic if you had weapons at your disposal, having to weigh if the resources are worth it to get it off your back.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
That reminds me of the RE3 adaptation in Umbrella Chronicles: I.E., the only lackluster part of those games. And Jill's random line: "I think so too."

WHAT DOES THAT MEAN, JILL? She says it out of nowhere as you walk out of a room full of zombies, where nobody had been talking for minutes. Then she even says it again later, with just as little context.

That reminds me of the RE3 adaptation in Umbrella Chronicles: I.E., the only lackluster part of those games. And Jill's random line: "I think so too."

WHAT DOES THAT MEAN, JILL? She says it out of nowhere as you walk out of a room full of zombies, where nobody had been talking for minutes. Then she even says it again later, with just as little context.

Yeah, she randomly says it when Nemesis shows up in the lobby with the rocket launcher lol

Kuraudo

Banned

She's responding to her own interior monologue. It's Capcom's way of emphasising the sense of isolation of anyone stuck in Raccoon City by drawing upon the interhuman isolation we all feel in being unable to articulate our own inner-selves to anyone else.

Nudull

Banned
She's responding to her own interior monologue. It's Capcom's way of emphasising the sense of isolation of anyone stuck in Raccoon City by drawing upon the interhuman isolation we all feel in being unable to articulate our own inner-selves to anyone else.

So, Jill was a ghost all along? o.o

CV is the one that I, for the life of me, will never understand why it's so hated. It definitely ranks on the low end of the spectrum of the mainline games, but it's not really awful at all. I wouldn't even say it's the worst mainline game. I remember liking it when I played it originally on PS2, then seeing the vile hate it got, being confused, and then replayed it with the PS3 re-release...still found it alright.

CV's not, like, a kusoge, but it's mechanically regressed from RE3, its environment graphics have arguably aged worse, and its pacing and boss battles are horrendous. Design-wise, it represents a major emphasis on 'cinematic' stuff over quality gameplay, plus it has a bunch of dumb 'cool' John Woo shit that is reeeeeally embarrassing to go back to.

I don't buy the backtracking complaint about it, though - there's generally one big backtracking segment in just about every classic RE game.

But also, for a LOOOOONG while people shat on RE3 and loved CV for its technological/presentation advancements (ie 3D environments and the benefits thereof). It's only in relatively recent years, and mainly just on GAF, that people have come to appreciate RE3 more and recognize that the Wesker stuff in CV is hot otaku garbage, caused the series to jump the shark, etc

BTails

Having just played through RE3, my biggest gripe is that after so many awesome Nemesis encounters, your final battle with him is so bland. Granted, I always find the final bosses of classic RE games easy because you finallyget to unload with all those high powered weapons you've been saving, but Nemesis seems particularly bad.

Maybe it's because his original design was so cool and badass: when he pulls a classic Resident Evil "Mutate until you're a flesh blob" move, he's just not as scary anymore.

Jawmuncher

Having just played through RE3, my biggest gripe is that after so many awesome Nemesis encounters, your final battle with him is so bland. Granted, I always find the final bosses of classic RE games easy because you finallyget to unload with all those high powered weapons you've been saving, but Nemesis seems particularly bad.

Maybe it's because his original design was so cool and badass: when he pulls a classic Resident Evil "Mutate until you're a flesh blob" move, he's just not as scary anymore.

I'll agree with this the final form is super lame

Nudull

Banned
Haven't gotten around to picking RE3 back up. The beginning parts at Raccoon City itself is a frustrating bit of trial and error, though I've gotten as far as the RPD building.

Junahu

I thought that was actually the point.
The final boss here is a big helping of catharsis, letting you know that you actually had an effect on Nemesis. Before, you'd beat on him constantly and he'd only get stronger and faster with each battle. But now he's an impractical mass of flesh that can barely even move around. When you attack him, Nemesis does something he never did before, he retreats to a corner and licks his wounds. It feels great to find out that, as stubborn as Nemesis is, he can be defeated.

That's how I see it anyway.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
My favorite segment of RE3 is definitely the beginning of the Clock Tower to the cabin by the graveyard in the park (would include whole park but not a fan of the Worm boss battle).

Nemesis's final battle is just average (much prefer his pre-ultimate battle with you locked in with him), but I quite enjoy the optional 'final shot' scene you can trigger if you have enough time to during the escape sequence. So cheesy.

• Stuck using pistol most of the game, for which there is shitloads of ammo
  • Other weapons have very limited ammo, aside from Shotgun which is not until Chris and has been nerfed heavily and bow gun which while can actually be useful is weaksauce. Is like 18 Magnum bullets entire game.
  • Environment all lacking detail compared to pre-rendered games
  • Steve
  • Visually has aged the worsed, even worse than the PS1 games
  • Enemies became solid and took no damage (as in, no decaptitations, no blowing parts of their bodies off, no blowing them up even with RPG)
  • Steve
  • Crappy mini-game
  • No alternate costumes
  • Poor unlocks (Rocket Launcher, that it)
  • Steve
  • No alternate scenarios like RE1+2,
  • No branching paths with different stories/events like RE1+3.
  • Extreme amounts of backtracking
  • Only 'Normal' difficulty setting, and was too easy.
  • 'Fogging' of larger environments.
  • Several features added to RE3 were missing, no dodging, no ammo combinations, cannot even walk freely up/down stairs.
  • Steve

The characters graphically were a step-up from the PS1 games, everything else was a step down.

BTails

Nemesis's final battle is just average (much prefer his pre-ultimate battle withyou locked in with him), but I quite enjoy the optional 'final shot' scene you can trigger if you have enough time to during the escape sequence. So cheesy.

Is that the "Finish the monster off" option? Yeah, that's pretty amazing.

I like the fact that the Nemesis fucking refuses to give up - having its brutalized wreck of a nearly-dead body revive itself by feeding on a Tyrant is alright, but the final bit where Jill's puts a final bullet in whatever's left of it is great. The actual boss itself, not so much.
I thought that was actually the point.
The final boss here is a big helping of catharsis, letting you know that you actually had an effect on Nemesis. Before, you'd beat on him constantly and he'd only get stronger and faster with each battle. But now he's an impractical mass of flesh that can barely even move around. When you attack him, Nemesis does something he never did before, he retreats to a corner and licks his wounds. It feels great to find out that, as stubborn as Nemesis is, he can be defeated.

That's how I see it anyway.

Yeah, it's not bad thematically but visually and in terms of actual gameplay it's not great. Reminds me of the final (train car) Birkin form from RE2 in that respect, though - I'd say they share the same pros and cons. They both definitely take place at a point in the game where you have a massive arsenal of weaponry and you can basically just unload on them.

Does RE4 have dynamic difficulty even on pro?
Don't take this as gospel, but I believe what happens is that on pro enemies will always have the maximum amount of health, and the strongest AI and damage values, as well as the hardest layouts, but ammo and health is still distributed dynamically.

CV's not, like, a kusoge, but it's mechanically regressed from RE3, its environment graphics have arguably aged worse, and its pacing and boss battles are horrendous. Design-wise, it represents a major emphasis on 'cinematic' stuff over quality gameplay, plus it has a bunch of dumb 'cool' John Woo shit that is reeeeeally embarrassing to go back to.

I don't buy the backtracking complaint about it, though - there's generally one big backtracking segment in just about every classic RE game.

But also, for a LOOOOONG while people shat on RE3 and loved CV for its technological/presentation advancements (ie 3D environments and the benefits thereof). It's only in relatively recent years, and mainly just on GAF, that people have come to appreciate RE3 more and recognize that the Wesker stuff in CV is hot otaku garbage, caused the series to jump the shark, etc

I don't know, I just don't really agree I guess *shrug*. The game was alright to me.

That would work if Carlos wasn't with her the entire time lol

I loved CV, warts and all. It's not a perfect game but it's far from the worst in the series. I'll agree Wesker's involvement in the game was unnecessary and kinda dumb, but both of the Ashfords made up for that. They're my favorite villains in the series.

It's too bad the HD remaster wasn't much more than an up-rezz (and it hasn't been ported to any newer hardware than last gen). They could have updated the game visually much more easily than 2 or 3. HD-ifying the textures would have been nice at least and nowhere as difficult as recreating all of the models and making pre-rendered backgrounds with them.

Nudull

Banned
I loved CV, warts and all. It's not a perfect game but it's far from the worst in the series. I'll agree Wesker's involvement in the game was unnecessary and kinda dumb, but both of the Ashfords made up for that. They're my favorite villains in the series.

It's too bad the HD remaster wasn't much more than an up-rezz (and it hasn't been ported to any newer hardware than last gen). They could have updated the game visually much more easily than 2 or 3. HD-ifying the textures would have been nice at least and nowhere as difficult as recreating all of the models and making pre-rendered backgrounds with them.

I do have to wonder how a supposedly Sega-exclusive Resident Evil series would've continued, had the Dreamcast survived.

I do have to wonder how a supposedly Sega-exclusive Resident Evil series would've continued, had the Dreamcast survived.

Probably not too differently than it did, I would imagine. I don't think it being on the DC would have mattered a lot to the trajectory of the series.

Were they really going to go exclusive? I didn't know that. I always thought CV was just a one-time thing. I think even if the DC had survived, the sales juggernaut that was the PS2 would have made Capcom eventually cave and port everything over.

Regardless, the VMU feature in CV was great. Simple, yet incredibly useful. It was nice not having to open up the menu all the time to see your current health status.

Slightly offtopic but I think Sega would have gradually evolved the VMU's power and functionality in future consoles, and eventually made a console that was more or less what the NX is rumored to be. A console with a full-featured standalone handheld as the controller.

Were they really going to go exclusive? I didn't know that. I always thought CV was just a one-time thing. I think even if the DC had survived, the sales juggernaut that was the PS2 would have made Capcom eventually cave and port everything over.

I don't know if they really were, but Capcom and Mikami were shopping the series around so it could have potentially happened if the DC hadn't been an obvious flop. Even if he hadn't, I mean, the PS2 still probably would have dominated, so the issues with the series it faced on the GC would be the same. Though, I personally am not hugely convinced if the series had stayed with Sony on the PS2 the trajectory of the series would have changed significantly. I mean, we'll never know of course, but I think a fairly big change to the series was going to happen at some point around the time it did regardless.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
Does anyone know if we will have a bundle of re4,5,6 in xone and ps4? Thanks!

This question comes up a lot. Capcom has not said anything about it, nor have I heard any well-sourced rumors.

So no idea.

I've speculated that there might be one. As others have pointed out, it seems most likely in UK/EU where there have been no physical releases AFAIK

Sub_Level

One small area where I think RE5 improved on RE4 is removing the pause from going into your inventory.

Having the game not pause makes it more frantic and exciting. This is mostly noticeable from watching RE4 Mercs videos vs RE5 Mercs videos.

Jawmuncher

One small area where I think RE5 improved on RE4 is removing the pause from going into your inventory.

Having the game not pause makes it more frantic and exciting. This is mostly noticeable from watching RE4 Mercs videos vs RE5 Mercs videos.
Nailing reloading through the menu in the middle of a fight is godly.

WhiteWolf

How different are the PS4 rereleases of RE4 and RE5 from their PC ports? I will have all the parts for my new PC next weekend and want to know if I should buy the PC versions or the PS4 versions.

finley83

Banned
RE5 PC doesn't have split screen unless you download a mod which reverts it back to the GFWL version (i.e. no way to do it for the DLC). However there are a load of fun mods like Wesker crows and a way to remove the green filter.

RE4 has the upcoming HD texture mod which looks amazing and I'd say it worth getting the PC version for that alone.

I started a replay of Resident Evil: Director's Cut (PS1 version via PSN). It's cool to go back to this after playing through REMake semi-recently. Really makes you appreciate what they did with REMake. This is still fun in a back to super basics kind of way, though. Not sure if I'll do both a Jill and Chris playthrough, though. May just do this Jill one and leave it at that. I wish I had some kind of access to the Saturn version, but I know it has that battle game thingy and an extra creature or two, so it would maybe feel a little different? I dunno.

Code Veronica didn't look too bad for its time. I've certainly seen worse-looking Dreamcast/PS2-era games.

It looked amazing at the time, honestly. It's just that, without the graphical wow factor, it becomes easier to see that it's drastically weaker in terms of game design than RE1/2/3/4.

BTails

Speaking of Code Veronica's graphics, I just started the HD port on PS3 last night, adn was surprised by how soft it looks. The menus and text are crisp, but the whole things looks like it's had some blur added, or maybe it's just soft bloom lighting. It doesn't look like a low rez problem as I don't see too many jaggies though...

Top Bottom