• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil Community |OT2| Best Fans Ever!

Resident Evil 5 chapter 5-1 and 5-2.

Game Over: The Return of Shootbang

YUP. I see what you all were talking about later in the game and unfortunately the mechanics as designed can't handle the change. The cover system is utter shit and is worse than cover systems on games that came out 7 years prior. The machine gunners can put you in a state where your knocked over from damage and will get knocked back again just after the animation to get up is complete. The tank controls simply can't handle the change.

Granted, Resident Evil 5 is still far better designed than the majority of Resident Evil 6. The highs are higher than RE 6's and the lows (what I just mentioned) still don't come close to the lows of Sherry/Jake chapter 2, the helicopter sections, Chris chapter 1/2/4, or the stealth section of Ada chapter 1.

I'm just confused that they looked at Chapter 5-1 and 5-2 and said "You know what Chris' campaign in RE 6 needs? 5-1 and 5-2 times a hundred!"

finley83

Banned
Speaking of Code Veronica's graphics, I just started the HD port on PS3 last night, adn was surprised by how soft it looks. The menus and text are crisp, but the whole things looks like it's had some blur added, or maybe it's just soft bloom lighting. It doesn't look like a low rez problem as I don't see too many jaggies though...

I think the incredibly low-res textures are causing that. Looks like a smudged watercolour half the time!

Weird and random thought: I was at my grandparent's house today helping them move some furniture, and was looking through my gaming graveyard (I keep all of my out-of-use systems and the games that go with them in my old room), and I looked through the PSP games I had, and thought it was kind of a shame that the Resident Evil PSP game didn't end up happening. You could download 1-3 via PSN and all, but the PSP had a lot of original titles from the big staple franchises like Silent Hill, Metal Gear, Final Fantasy, etc. Loved my PSP, man. Anyway, random nostagliatic thought.

BTails

I always assumed that Resident Evil Revelations is what the RE PSP game eventually turned into. Anyone able to confirm this with something more substantial than my gut?

I always assumed that Resident Evil Revelations is what the RE PSP game eventually turned into. Anyone able to confirm this with something more substantial than my gut?

I never heard that, but it might be true. I was bummed whenever Revelations came out on the 3DS since I didn't have one and never plan to get one. Glad it eventually came to PS3. Wish Mercenaries and Deadly Silence had come to PS3 or Vita, too, though. Well, DS doesn't matter much since it was a glorified port of RE1 from what I heard, but I'd dig playing Mercenaries. I don't know why they haven't done a full-fledged standalone Mercs game with an all-star cast from the franchise. Be epic as fuck.

Jawmuncher

I never heard that, but it might be true. I was bummed whenever Revelations came out on the 3DS since I didn't have one and never plan to get one. Glad it eventually came to PS3. Wish Mercenaries and Deadly Silence had come to PS3 or Vita, too, though. Well, DS doesn't matter much since it was a glorified port of RE1 from what I heard, but I'd dig playing Mercenaries. I don't know why they haven't done a full-fledged standalone Mercs game with an all-star cast from the franchise. Be epic as fuck.

If I recall there was more rumors saying that Operation Raccoon City was the PSP game. Well at least was the idea for the PSP game until it became a console game. There's nothing concrete on either theory though.

Mr_Zombie

YUP. I see what you all were talking about later in the game and unfortunately the mechanics as designed can't handle the change. The cover system is utter shit and is worse than cover systems on games that came out 7 years prior. The machine gunners can put you in a state where your knocked over from damage and will get knocked back again just after the animation to get up is complete. The tank controls simply can't handle the change.

(...)

I'm just confused that they looked at Chapter 5-1 and 5-2 and said "You know what Chris' campaign in RE 6 needs? 5-1 and 5-2 times a hundred!"

Yes, the game requires you to use covers (especially on higher difficulty, where you can die very quickly), but at the same time the implementation of the cover system is just bad. The RE6 implementation is better, especially since you don't really need to use it - you can dodge, outrun most of the enemies in RE6. In RE5 with tanks controls and slow run that's not the case.

But I agree that RE5 is just a better designed game. RE6 has better mechanics, but RE5 has a lot better level design and combat scenarios.

This is the only "screen" we ever got from that game:
original.jpg

A city (IIRC Raccoon City was mentioned at the time,but I'm not sure) and zombies... So I think that it's far more possible that, as Jawmuncher said, that PSP game was eventually turned into Operation Raccoon City and not Revelations (that doesn't have a single zombie).

When Revelations was announced I'm sure the question of RE PSP was asked and the answer was it wasn't RE PSP.

I'm also sure I read somewhere RE PSP wasn't going to be a traditional RE game, so it may have been Mercs 3D.

Nudull

Banned
Operation Raccoon City being a handheld game would make a lot of sense, considering the multiplayer focus and the use of familiar locals instead of doing something entirely new (likely to help ease any development woes and hardware limitations that would've been there at the time).

Resident Evil Portable is one of those cancelled games that I sorely wished saw the light of day. We don't get enough handheld horror games.

I still think Zero is worse than CV. I don't care what anyone says.

That's a tough one. It's obviously much prettier, but the item drop system can lead to *horrendous* backtracking if you don't basically already know what's coming and plan accordingly.

I might still have to give the edge to Zero because it doesn't have awful gimmicky boss fights like CV's Tyrant, Nosferatu, or Steve, but outside of the bosses CV's campaign is better and Marcus ramped up the embarrassing-anime-villain thing even higher than CV did.

Besides all that, Zero also has such a recycled feel to its settings outside the train, which itself isn't hugely special. And the Leech game is probably my least favorite extra mode game of any of the mainline games.

I think Zero is an okay enough game, but it's really no contest to me that it's the weakest of the mainline games.

Which one would you guys suggest I play first, then? Zero or Code: Veronica?

Are you playing in any kind of order? Code Veronica takes place right after the events of RE2, so if you're playing in chronological order at all you might as well go CV.

Zero is a much, much better visual game to look at, but overall I would say CV is the better game. CV also plays more like an older style game, where as Zero has a co-op system (all AI, not two player), and instead of item boxes, you drop and manage items between the two character, which is infuriating as fuck on your first playthrough.

But really, I don't think it matters much at the end of the day. They're both okay games, but both also on the lower tier of the mainline titles. Even if some disagree which worse, most agree they are duking it out for last part (though some would put 6 there, too, if you merge the two gameplay styles into one list).

Zambatoh

Are you playing in any kind of order? Code Veronica takes place right after the events of RE2, so if you're playing in chronological order at all you might as well go CV.

Zero is a much, much better visual game to look at, but overall I would say CV is the better game. CV also plays more like an older style game, where as Zero has a co-op system (all AI, not two player), and instead of item boxes, you drop and manage items between the two character, which is infuriating as fuck on your first playthrough.

But really, I don't think it matters much at the end of the day. They're both okay games, but both also on the lower tier of the mainline titles. Even if some disagree which worse, most agree they are duking it out for last part (though some would put 6 there, too, if you merge the two gameplay styles into one list).

Which is infuriating as fuck, period. Even on repeat walkthroughs I just could never get over how bad an idea this was. And I think even the designers at Capcom thought so too which is why they never used it again in any game.

Mr_Zombie

Which one would you guys suggest I play first, then? Zero or Code: Veronica?

Code Veronica has stiff enemies and no gore (bye bye shotgun headshots :( ), a lot of pretty big backtracking (more annoying than in other games since the level structure is much more linear) and some pretty bad game design decisions. Save often and on different slots since the game can easily fuck you up. The game was also the first that jumped the shark with its story (super Wesker, anime-like villains), but you've arleady played RE5 and 6 so it shouldn't be as jarring as it was back when the game was released.

And two protips:
- look up how to get anti-BOW grenade rounds and use them during the plane boss fight (they will help you quickly get through one of the most frustrating boss fights in the game)
- before you get on the plane, put fire extinguisher in the item chest

Zero, on the other hand, has poor story (i.e. most of the story is told via files while main characters stumble around without any purpose other than to somehow get out), poor boss fights (very simple boss designs and mostly boring encounters), annoying item management, annoying enemies (damn monkeys) and the worst villain in the series. At least the game (the HD remake) is beautiful.

Two protips:
- before you leave the second main location, bring all your items to the Observatory room.
after certain event the second main location is refilled with enemies
- remember that you will need hookshot in several places in the third main location, so if you want to avoid annoying backtracking, bring it with you

Jawmuncher

That was a whole lot of nothing. Like how they basically show amnesia style gameplay after making a big deal that's not what it'll be like. Still looking forward to the game, but atm it's lore wise and not what I have seen from gameplay.

Nudull

Banned
Felt like more of the same. I dig it, but we're almost four months away from this releasing. Unless it's getting delayed, some more details on the general plot and gameplay would be nice.

kogasu

I'm still interested but yeah, it's the same really. By this point, we get that it's supposed to be much more horror focused and have defenseless segments so it would be nice to see how the rest of the game works.

On the topic of RE 7: The type of game they are showing it off to be has never been my cup of tea. They keep saying that "It's not representative of the full game" but we are two trailers and a demo in and it really seems to be representative of the full game especially with their description mentioning hiding but not combat. Of all the things I like about Resident Evil, hiding while the player character is cowering behind cover, narrating how scary the situation is as an unkillable and unfightable enemy slow walks towards you through corridors and typical "scary" elements like doors closing on you despite no one being there are not among them.

I think I wouldn't be so hostile to the idea if the game didn't bear the title "Resident Evil 7". At the rate Capcom makes numbered entries this may be the only entry we get this generation and I'd really rather it not be wasted on an Outlast/Amnesia clone.

TGS really has to knock it out of the park to get me excited for this game. It simply can't be a repeat of the last two trailers.

I was in a similar situation and I found out later to be a lose-lose situation. I played 0 first and ending up enjoying it more than CV. These two are the worst mainline games imo.

Code Veronica has stiff enemies and no gore (bye bye shotgun headshots :( ), a lot of pretty big backtracking (more annoying than in other games since the level structure is much more linear) and some pretty bad game design decisions. Save often and on different slots since the game can easily fuck you up. The game was also the first that jumped the shark with its story (super Wesker, anime-like villains), but you've arleady played RE5 and 6 so it shouldn't be as jarring as it was back when the game was released.

And two protips:
- look up how to get anti-BOW grenade rounds and use them during the plane boss fight (they will help you quickly get through one of the most frustrating boss fights in the game)
- before you get on the plane, put fire extinguisher in the item chest

Zero, on the other hand, has poor story (i.e. most of the story is told via files while main characters stumble around without any purpose other than to somehow get out), poor boss fights (very simple boss designs and mostly boring encounters), annoying item management, annoying enemies (damn monkeys) and the worst villain in the series. At least the game (the HD remake) is beautiful.

Two protips:
- before you leave the second main location, bring all your items to the Observatory room.
after certain event the second main location is refilled with enemies
- remember that you will need hookshot in several places in the third main location, so if you want to avoid annoying backtracking, bring it with you

Thanks for the responses!

Felt like more of the same. I dig it, but we're almost four months away from this releasing. Unless it's getting delayed, some more details on the general plot and gameplay would be nice.

I posted this in a thread about the trailer.

The PlayStaton blog wording has me thinking...what if this is like an interactive file? Like, instead of just reading about the victims, you find tapes and get to play through segments where they get killed? Be an interesting twist to that, and it would make sense that it wouldn't represent the final game since it would be like a side section

That's what I think we're seeing there. I think we'll get tapes that act as some of visual diaries as opposed to, or also with, traditional text files. And we know that side stories will be sold as DLC as well, so that makes sense. One suggestion someone had was that would be tutorials on mechanics seems solid, too.

I think they want to keep the main game under wraps for whatever reason. At least for now.

Jawmuncher

Still it's not good to sell a game with stuff that might not be entirely representative of the main game. Why can't one of these flashbacks have the gameplay they keep talking about? Why they're so insistent on hiding the supposed regular gameplay is just odd.
They'd save themselves a lot of backlash if they showed a gun and a puzzle.

Which is infuriating as fuck, period. Even on repeat walkthroughs I just could never get over how bad an idea this was. And I think even the designers at Capcom thought so too which is why they never used it again in any game.

They never made a classic style game again to even try and use such a system. Everything after it was linear and lacked exploration. Can't be dropping items when you'll never go back to that area again.

Still it's not good to sell a game with stuff that might not be entirely representative of the main game. Why can't one of these flashbacks have the gameplay they keep talking about? Why they're so insistent on hiding the supposed regular gameplay is just odd.

I think one will eventually. I don't really know why they're going to lengths they seem to be to hide the main game, though. That feels kind of fishy. I'm starting to wonder if maybe there's something more going on about it.

Is "Resident Evil 4 was bad" the new "Sonic The Hedgehog was never good"?

I think they're hesitant because they know it's not going to be what people are asking for. What we've seen so far is:

A) Two trailers that show disempowered protagonists that are more vulnerable than any other RE protagonist have ever been.

B) A demo that is very PT like.

C) Within that demo we see a disempowered protagonist with no combat (only an axe as an "Easter egg"). We play one of those "interactive VHS" portions which has yet more noncombat sections. We now see a third section with no combat and "Hide and seek" gameplay.

Unless TGS shows off the combat in a major way, I'm going to go out on a limb and say combat is minimal. That, or maybe the marketing department took "We want horror" too much to heart and is afraid any show of combat will ruin things? Because the developers are insistent this is still very much Resident Evil and that "this isn't representative of the whole game" but the marketing says otherwise.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
I don't think the trailer is a good look. I accepted the first trailer & demo as a mood piece, but looking at this hide & seek stuff is a turn-off for me.

TGS really needs to show something different (if there's anything different)

Jawmuncher

One thing that's kinda bothering me at the moment is that we're lacking BOWs. Which to me has always been my favorite part of the series. Big fan of bio mobsters and human transformations. ATM we got Texas chainsaw massacre family and a ghost.

Which isn't bad in itself, but is just another piece that makes me wonder about some stuff. Especially when so many comments are "this is going back to roots" but really outside the hints we've been told and seen that's not necessarily a certainty.

Like atm while it's dumb, I only plan to buy one copy and go from there. When usually I buy multiple (one per platform). Just due to not knowing if I'll really end up liking this from the currently shown items.

One thing that's kinda bothering me at the moment is that we're lacking BOWs. Which to me has always been my favorite part of the series. Big fan of bio mobsters and human transformations. ATM we got Texas chainsaw massacre family and a ghost.

Which isn't bad in itself, but is just another piece that makes me wonder about some stuff. Especially when so many comments are "this is going back to roots" but really outside the hints we've been told and seen that's not necessarily a certainty.

Like atm while it's dumb, I only plan to buy one copy and go from there. When usually I buy multiple (one per platform). Just due to not knowing if I'll really end up liking this from the currently shown items.

There's no doubt that whatever these things are in the trailer, they are infected by some kind of virus or parasite or mix. It's a common motif in the series that you begin fighting the more humanoid infected monster before you fight the more mutated BOWs. I don't see that as any reason for concern. That's been how the series has been since basically the beginning.

JayEH

Ok I was giving re7 another chance but this trailer has completely turned me off to the game. It really is just an one of these indie hide and seek games.

Jawmuncher

There's no doubt that whatever these things are in the trailer, they are infected by some kind of virus or parasite or mix. It's a common motif in the series that you begin fighting the more humanoid infected monster before you fight the more mutated BOWs. I don't see that as any reason for concern. That's been how the series has been since basically the beginning.
But from what we have seen, what exactly stands out from them? You could put a different name on these enemies we have so far and not have a clue they were infected of anything if that's the case. In RE1-3 you had the zombies , RE 4-6 you had the transformations on the regular enemies. Though I will say that atm they fall in line more with the RE4 style (beginning of the village before the lake), but with so little to go off of its still an annoyance to me. Guess it just goes back to how they're marketing it. I get they don't want to ruin stuff but geez, there's gotta be a better way.

Ok I was giving re7 another chance but this trailer has completely turned me off to the game. It really is just an one of these indie hide and seek games.

The main talk now is that VHS tapes will be stuff like this or other changes and the regular game will be typical RE style. We'll see though.

I watched the trailer again.

The camp is gone, the unintentional cheese is gone, the series protagonists are gone, the perspective changed, we haven't seen combat, there seems to be an emphasis on "hide and seek" and PT style exploration, and it seems to draw more from the past five years of horror than its roots.

Why is this Resident Evil 7?

I mean, if this isn't what the game is, why does Capcom continue to show it as such? This is really frustrating.

I'm trying not to be a downer. I really am. But what they are showing simply does not interest me.

Nudull

Banned
I think people are going to ride the PT/Amnesia/Outlast train regardless of what else they show, at this point. This reminds me a lot of how people initially reacted to Resident Evil 4 and how much they feared that game was going to jump the shark.

I think people are going to ride the PT/Amnesia/Outlast train regardless of what else they show, at this point. This reminds me a lot of how people initially reacted to Resident Evil 4 and how much they feared that game was going to jump the shark.

Show a shotgun being fired at a zombie. Show a puzzle being solved. That's all they have to do. Don't even have to make it a big part of the trailer. Just show something.

JayEH

Because that's all they've shown at this point. Once they show something different then we can start talking.

Jawmuncher

RE4 at least had a demo completely representative of its gameplay.

Because that's all they've shown at this point. Once they show something different then we can start talking.
Pretty much. They have no one to blame but themselves about the current reception. Saying isn't the same as doing of showing.

But from what we have seen, what exactly stands out from them? You could put a different name on these enemies we have so far and not have a clue they were infected of anything if that's the case. In RE1-3 you had the zombies , RE 4-6 you had the transformations on the regular enemies. Though I will say that atm they fall in line more with the RE4 style (beginning of the village before the lake), but with so little to go off of its still an annoyance to me. Guess it just goes back to how they're marketing it. I get they don't want to ruin stuff but geez, there's gotta be a better way.

I mean, you answered your own question. The villagers in the beginning of RE4 look human enough. It's not until later you start to see the parasite ripping out of their head. Same with 5. 6 bucked that trend a little, but you still fought mostly humanoid creatures before getting into the more mutated and genetically crafted BOWs. Just because you can't visually see what's wrong with these people right now, doesn't mean there isn't anything there.

Jawmuncher

I mean, you answered your own question. The villagers in the beginning of RE4 look human enough. It's not until later you start to see the parasite ripping out of their head. Same with 5. 6 bucked that trend a little, but you still fought mostly humanoid creatures before getting into the more mutated and genetically crafted BOWs. Just because you can't visually see what's wrong with these people right now, doesn't mean there isn't anything there.

However
I want to say the prerelease content showed the plagas. They definitely used gigante as a selling tool. So you knew before you even got the game that the more crazy stuff was in there.

However
I want to say the prerelease content showed the plagas. They definitely used gigante as a selling tool. So you knew before you even got the game that the more crazy stuff was in there.

I don't remember the plagas in any marketing, but you're right about them showing gigante.

However, we're still about 5 months away from release. I assume they aren't finished showing off stuff from RE7 just yet.

Mr_Zombie

Is "Resident Evil 4 was bad" the new "Sonic The Hedgehog was never good"?

Nah, when the final version of RE4 was shown for the first time, RE message boards were filled with "what the hell is this crap?!", "this isn't RE!", "where are zombies and Umbrella!" kind of posts (
I know, I was one of them >_>
).

Even today there are fans that dislike the turn the series took with RE4 and say that nothing past RE Zero is a "true RE game".

However

They didn't show Plagas, but they still showed El Gigante and Del Lago, monks with zombie-like faces, and implied some kind of infection (Ashley caughing blood, Luis' "There's supposed to be some obvious symptom before you turn into one of them anyway.") etc. So while they kept the whole plags secret, there were still obvious signs of major RE themes in the marketing. Here, we have none of that.

That feels pretty revisionist to me. Overall, I remember the reception to RE4 being pretty universally loved, and many felt the series has become overly stale by the time we got to Zero. I don't feel like that opinion really started being vocalized a lot until RE5 came out and naturally took the lead to what RE4 had set up. I guess there was probably a fringe set of people out there who were angry, but I never saw any evidence that RE4 was as hated by older fans as it seems to be now. I think that attitude came about more universally after RE5 and 6, with RE4 naturally being lumped in with them

BTails

Well, as a fan of Amnesia style gameplay, I'm actually pretty excited about RE7. This new trailer looks extremely fun to me, especially with PSVR, which I'll definitely be using for my first run through.

Will it be a good Resident Evil game? I have no clue. But regardless, I think it looks fun. There haven't been any mainline RE games I haven't enjoyed quite a bit, so I have no reason to doubt that I won't like this one.

Mr_Zombie

That feels pretty revisionist to me. Overall, I remember the reception to RE4 being pretty universally loved, and many felt the series has become overly stale by the time we got to Zero.

From what I remember, critics loved the early demo of RE4 (the village section) and praised Capcom for finally moving the series forward; criticism about the series being stale, about static camera angles and tank controls started showing up around CV already or maybe even RE3 and RE4 so fresh back then. However, a lot of RE fans were dissapointed in the game both pre-release (remember, we didn't have demos back then so all we could judge the game from were trailers and previews; and Leon rescuing the president's daughter from crazy villagers didn't sound very RE back then), and post-release (turning the cheese and action up to 11, story that had very little to do with previous games, no Umbrella, no zombies or other classic BOWs, turning the player from a prey into a hunter) etc.

From what I remember, critics loved the early demo of RE4 (the village section) and praised Capcom for finally moving the series forward; criticism about the series being stale, about static camera angles and tank controls started showing up around CV already or maybe even RE3 and RE4 so fresh back then. However, a lot of RE fans were dissapointed in the game both pre-release (remember, we didn't have demos back then so all we could judge the game from were trailers and previews; and Leon rescuing the president's daughter from crazy villagers didn't sound very RE back then), and post-release (turning the cheese and action up to 11, story that had very little to do with previous games, no Umbrella, no zombies or other classic BOWs, turning the player from a prey into a hunter) etc.

I don't know, I just didn't see that on a wide scale. Like I said, maybe there was some fringe set of people who felt this way, but as someone who was fairly active in following message boards and pre-release material, I didn't see a lot of this. Admittedly, though, I didn't frequent RE specif fansites or anything, but I still didn't really see that sentiment becoming extremely vocal until more around RE5, and especially RE6.

Nudull

Banned
I do remember being backlash amidst all the RE4 hype, back then. People I knew were more casual and didn't care, but some of the more hardcore folks were more split.

I think they're hesitant because they know it's not going to be what people are asking for. What we've seen so far is:

A) Two trailers that show disempowered protagonists that are more vulnerable than any other RE protagonist have ever been.

B) A demo that is very PT like.

C) Within that demo we see a disempowered protagonist with no combat (only an axe as an "Easter egg"). We play one of those "interactive VHS" portions which has yet more noncombat sections. We now see a third section with no combat and "Hide and seek" gameplay.

Unless TGS shows off the combat in a major way, I'm going to go out on a limb and say combat is minimal. That, or maybe the marketing department took "We want horror" too much to heart and is afraid any show of combat will ruin things? Because the developers are insistent this is still very much Resident Evil and that "this isn't representative of the whole game" but the marketing says otherwise.

I wonder how they feel with the very clearly dissastified response (it not just here, is clearly widespread) from a large portion of the community, fans of both old style and new.

Sounds about right. RE4 got a very hostile response from the fanbase both pre-release and post release. I know a few people who dropped the series with its release. At least with RE7 the response from detractors is mostly 'meh'. I guess that counts as an improved response for another drastic change in the main series?

Critics loved it of course, though still to this day I call any one of them saying it was moving the series forward to be full of shit, it was a totally different direction in gameplay and backwards tonally. Also anyone praising RE4 for ditching tank controls is a prat since it didn't.

I think the split in the fanbase were those who were fans of survival horror, and those who were just fans of Resident Evil in general.

Wow, that new RE7 trailer was... disappointing. Most boring, uninteresting enemies ever. Also still not happy that they're intelligent humans. Give me creepy inhuman BOWs, please.

They really need to start showing more than this hide and seek crap (and I say that as someone who liked Outlast and Amnesia). This isn't why I play RE. I have other games for this kind of gameplay already.

I was happy that the series was moving towards survival horror again but I didn't want that at the expense of RE becoming like every other horror game out there.

Wow, that new RE7 trailer was... disappointing. Most boring, uninteresting enemies ever. Also still not happy that they're intelligent humans. Give me creepy inhuman BOWs, please.

They really need to start showing more than this hide and seek crap (and I say that as someone who liked Outlast and Amnesia). This isn't why I play RE. I have other games for this kind of gameplay already.

I was happy that the series was moving towards survival horror again but I didn't want that at the expense of RE becoming like every other horror game out there.

We don't know if they're intelligent or not. I mean, you can hide behind a box to thwart them, so this doesn't show a lot of intelligence. And, as I said before, you always start out fighting humanoid enemies in RE games. This isn't something all that radical, even if they can speak a coherent sentence.

I do remember being backlash amidst all the RE4 hype, back then. People I knew were more casual and didn't care, but some of the more hardcore folks were more split.
After Code Veronica I was ready for a change... And after the village encounter my jaw never left the floor hahaha.

We don't know if they're intelligent or not. I mean, you can hide behind a box to thwart them, so this doesn't show a lot of intelligence. And, as I said before, you always start out fighting humanoid enemies in RE games. This isn't something all that radical, even if they can speak a coherent sentence.

While true, zombies were unsettling because they had clearly lost all sense of humanity. They were completely 100% animalistic beasts, who just happened to still have the physical form of a human. I didn't find Ganados or Majinis scary because they were still much more human than beast.

I just don't understand why Capcom thinks I'm going to be scared of an old woman with bad teeth. At least make a tentacle or two pop out of her eyes or something. ;P

Hide and seek games are only as scary as the enemies that chase you in them. The enemies have to be compelling enough to make you want to run and hide. If they're not scary, running and hiding feels pointless.

Top Bottom