• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil Community |OT2| Best Fans Ever!

I'm really tempted to do a digital pre-order for RE7. Then again, I wanted to do the same for No Man's Sky and...well, we all know how that turned out.

Yep. Turned out great. Kept my expectations in check, and I'm enjoying it. As are most people who are actually playing it.

Looks like I'll have to try both Modern and Classic control schemes for REmake and RE0, see what feels best.

Nudull

Banned
Yep. Turned out great. Kept my expectations in check, and I'm enjoying it. As are most people who are actually playing it.

Looks like I'll have to try both Modern and Classic control schemes for REmake and RE0, see what feels best.

Really, now? All the hellish backlash said otherwise, though I can't speak since I haven't played it (and I was excited for it), but we're getting off-topic.

I really loved the Modern control scheme for REmake on the PS4. Made the original tank controls feel straight-up obsolete in comparison.

Mr_Zombie

Modern controls breaks the game, giving you a huge advantage over enemies. The game was made with tank controls in mind and thus 3D controls allow you to easily dodge enemies. They aren't bad (although it's obvious there's a lack of animation when you drastically change walking/running direction, e.g. forward -> left, the character turns unnaturally quick), just make the game much easier.

kc44135

Hey gang! Just joining this community thread for the first time.

My experience with the series pretty much started with RE4. I don't count my time with RE2 because all I did was play the opening sequence in the bar.

So I've played RE 4-6 (loved 4 & 5, hated 6), and now I've just picked up the RE origins collection for PS4 on disc. I believe this is RE0 and REmake?

Anyway, no idea what these games are like or what to expect, especially with the control scheme since I know these are "oldschool" RE controls. I hear the controls have been tweaked for this edition? What are they like?

Thanks a bunch.

Completely different styles of games. New-school RE is highly linear with a good sense of direction and plenty of action whilst the older games focus more on (somewhat) open-ended exploration, solving puzzles, and most importantly of all, just surviving. Your ammo and resources are limited, and you'll want to avoid combat when you can. You also want to use the right weapons on the right enemies. Stick to your handgun for zombies and other lesser threats, while saving your bigger guns (grenade launcher and magnum mostly) for bigger threats. Also, I should mention that while modern RE games have a standard third person perspective, older RE games feature fixed camera angles.

Also, to touch on the controls, the new control scheme is similar to RE6, where you move in the direction you move the stick. The original controls, on the other hand, are like RE4, and regardless of the camera angles you're on, up is always forward, down is always backwards, and left and and right will turn you left and right. Honestly, the original controls are your best bet by far. They're what the game was built and balanced for, and where the new controls constantly flip the direction you're supposed to move with every camera change, the tank controls are always consistent, which means transitions between camera angles are always easy and seamless. Also, the new controls literally let you run circles around enemies, which was not the original intent of the game designers.

Anyways, sorry for the novel I just wrote there, haha. Hopefully, I gave you a good idea of what to expect, though, and I hope you enjoy your first foray into classic Survival Horror!

Jawmuncher

What you guys think about a RE open world game? A game that takes place in raccoon city during the events of RE 2 and 3.
I feel like a open works game would end up being a spin on the style of outbreak.
Hey gang! Just joining this community thread for the first time.

My experience with the series pretty much started with RE4. I don't count my time with RE2 because all I did was play the opening sequence in the bar.

So I've played RE 4-6 (loved 4 & 5, hated 6), and now I've just picked up the RE origins collection for PS4 on disc. I believe this is RE0 and REmake?

Anyway, no idea what these games are like or what to expect, especially with the control scheme since I know these are "oldschool" RE controls. I hear the controls have been tweaked for this edition? What are they like?

Thanks a bunch.
I would recommend the original controls just so that you get used to the style if you end up wanting to play the other games. Also have no qualms playing on easy if you want. All the games basically have a action mode now outside I think CVX.

Anyone who owns Umbrella Corps, heads-up, on Steam it just got a huge update. It randomly updated with 1.9 GB, so checked. It added the following:

-New RE6 China-based map
-New night versions of all the maps
-New "Four Survivors" mode
-New weapons & items
-New cosmetics (including a Mega Man sticker and some classic RE monster ones)

I'll have to net my friends to play definitely.

Gonna check if this hit ps4

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
Hi new folks

re: controls, I agree that tank controls are the best way to start, but IMO the real highlights of the game are exploration, resource management, and story... none of which changes with the new controls.

Try the original scheme first, definitely, but do whatever feels right.

EDIT: lol that typewriter gif is hilarious

BTails

Hmm, I might pick up Revelations 1 on Steam for when I get to it in my 20th anniversary playthough. Played it on 3DS upon launch, haven't revisited yet.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Hmm, I might pick up Revelations 1 on Steam for when I get to it in my 20th anniversary playthough. Played it on 3DS upon launch, haven't revisited yet.

If you do pick it up and want a severe challenge/new experience, the HD version added an 'Infernal Mode', which remixes enemy encounters, placement, much harder enemies appear earlier, etc. I played my blind run on it, so it's possible, but know the final boss is a bitch (it and the first chapter are maybe the hardest parts).

Also three new costumes in the HD version, and costumes you unlock in Raid can be used in the main campaign for all the playable characters.

derFeef

Welp, including Raccoon City and Umbrella Corps. But More importantly the Deluxe Origins Bundle.

WUUuvEF.png

wbacon

Capcom USA
How is Umbrella Corps? Is it 35/100 bad?

For those still on the fence, Steam version is currently available for free via Free Weekend offer. You can give it a shot for free now thru Sunday, August 21st 1:00PM, Pacific Time.

As a part of the ongoing Capcom Publisher Sale, the game is also available for purchase at 33% discount now through August 22nd 10:00AM Pacific Time.

For those still on the fence, Steam version is currently available for free via Free Weekend offer. You can give it a shot for free now thru Sunday, August 21st 1:00PM, Pacific Time..

Sweet! Thank you for the headsup. Downloading it now.

I'm waiting for it to hit $5 before actually buying it, so it'll be nice to try it out for free first.

EDIT: Been waiting for like 10 minutes in a lobby for 1 more player to show up to start my first match. Unsurprisingly, it doesn't look like a lot of people are playing this thing, even with the free weekend.

Nudull

Banned
If you do pick it up and want a severe challenge/new experience, the HD version added an 'Infernal Mode', which remixes enemy encounters, placement, much harder enemies appear earlier, etc. I played my blind run on it, so it's possible, but know the final boss is a bitch (it and the first chapter are maybe the hardest parts).

Also three new costumes in the HD version, and costumes you unlock in Raid can be used in the main campaign for all the playable characters.

Is it available from the start? I have the game on Steam, but I've already played the 3DS original.

Dusk Golem

Is it available from the start? I have the game on Steam, but I've already played the 3DS original.

Infernal Difficulty is unlocked from the start, do be weary that the game throws a hurdle at you from the very start, but once you get to a parts box, you get a special custom part only in Infernal difficulty to help you out from there on out.

Here was the trailer they did for Infernal Mode: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDb5wr311Hc

Also warn, Infernal Mode adds a new enemy, the Barnicale things, who basically are a one-hit kill monster but are surprisingly not very cheap (you can kill them before they hatch, and they are a bit low on health but fast).

I don't recommend Infernal from the start, you'll be playing with weaker guns/mods and since you'll have been using more ammo through the game due to that it is very possible to reach the end boss and not have enough ammo to beat him. Since there is no backtracking or chapter select you cannot replay an earlier chapter and farm some ammo to retry it. You just got to start the game over, cannot even use your unlocks from the failed playthrough if that what happens.

Play on normal first, get good guns mods to start Infernal with, then get even better mods from Infernal itself.

Dusk Golem

I don't recommend Infernal from the start, you'll be playing with weaker guns/mods and since you'll have been using more ammo through the game due to that it is very possible to reach the end boss and not have enough ammo to beat him. Since there is no backtracking or chapter select you cannot replay an earlier chapter and farm some ammo to retry it. You just got to start the game over, cannot even use your unlocks from the failed playthrough if that what happens.

Play on normal first, get good guns mods to start Infernal with, then get even better mods from Infernal itself.

I played Infernal during my first run with just the default guns and beat it, and I stupidly played it before I even played the normal campaign. The only parts I recall having a lot of difficulty with were the beginning and the final boss, but pulled both of them off, there were other segments with difficulty but made it through with some strategy. Since they've both played the normal difficulty on 3DS, Infernal does remix the game a decent chunk and I can attest it is certainly possible to do it with just the default gear, as I've done it, and even did it on my blind run where it was my first time playing the game ever.

I even beat it without realizing you could do charged melee attacks. I didn't figure that out until I started playing Raid Mode after.

Dusk Golem

Its a shame Umbrella Corps probably won't take off, the new Survivors mode they added is actually pretty fun. Had a lot of fun playing it with two friends and a GAF'er. Has the right mix of tactfulness and chaoticness with more staples of RE than the other modes. No zombie jammer at the start so enemies attack you, night versions of all the maps, start with only basic supplies so have to go around and collect guns but all only come with a few bullets before you have to switch off or go melee, the person who thought up the point system should pat themselves on the back. You get a point every second that you're alive simply, but when you die you drop them all you're carrying and anyone else can pick them up. The only way to secure points is to get a supply drop (which is an ink ribbon) and then go to a Typewriter and save, which leaves you defenseless and takes 5-10 seconds, but if you pull it off with nothing kill you, you check in your points and they're secured by you even if you die and no one can pick them off your corpse anymore. Brings strategy to this, plus how the enemies grow in number over time naturally by play due to Umbrella Corps' 'meat' system where enemies leave meat behind sometimes when killed which creates additional enemy spawns, and since this mode goes on for the longest rounds usually, by the end there's hordes of them in certain parts of the map.

It's fun, and now makes me sad they probably won't build more off of it due to poor sales. Oh well.

Jawmuncher

Its a shame Umbrella Corps probably won't take off, the new Survivors mode they added is actually pretty fun. Had a lot of fun playing it with two friends and a GAF'er. Has the right mix of tactfulness and chaoticness with more staples of RE than the other modes. No zombie jammer at the start so enemies attack you, night versions of all the maps, start with only basic supplies so have to go around and collect guns but all only come with a few bullets before you have to switch off or go melee, the person who thought up the point system should pat themselves on the back. You get a point every second that you're alive simply, but when you die you drop them all you're carrying and anyone else can pick them up. The only way to secure points is to get a supply drop (which is an ink ribbon) and then go to a Typewriter and save, which leaves you defenseless and takes 5-10 seconds, but if you pull it off with nothing kill you, you check in your points and they're secured by you even if you die and no one can pick them off your corpse anymore. Brings strategy to this, plus how the enemies grow in number over time naturally by play due to Umbrella Corps' 'meat' system where enemies leave meat behind sometimes when killed which creates additional enemy spawns, and since this mode goes on for the longest rounds usually, by the end there's hordes of them in certain parts of the map.

It's fun, and now makes me sad they probably won't build more off of it due to poor sales. Oh well.

I still blame most of its failure do to its budget. If we could have somehow got UC and ORC squashed together, I think it would have done a lot better.

kamineko

Has anyone seen a good breakdown of version differences in RE4? I'm working on the RE4 |OT| and I feel like I should cover this.

From what I've heard to-date, the new console port is basically the HD PC version with a set configuration, but I'd like to give a quick rundown of how the versions have changed over the years.

Jawmuncher

Has anyone seen a good breakdown of version differences in RE4? I'm working on the RE4 |OT| and I feel like I should cover this.

From what I've heard to-date, the new console port is basically the HD PC version with a set configuration, but I'd like to give a quick rundown of how the versions have changed over the years.

GC was the original
PS2 had more content but reduced graphics
Wii if I recall was basically GC version buy with PS2 content
Xbox 360 and PS3 were based off the PS2 version if I recall and had less environmental effects, but looked and played fine at 30fps
PC Ultimate HD, basically takes all of the versions and made the best possible version. Added back in some effects, was 60fps aside from a few animations
PS4/X1 should be that PC version. Hopefully it runs at 60 and doesn't drop like re5

JayEH

That is about right except the 360/PS3 versions are based on the GCN/Wii version but still are missing the effects.

finley83

Banned
PC version also messed with the colour balance which makes everything look pretty different to the original. There have been some custom gradients and ENB profiles made that gets it close, but it's not 100% right still.

Dusk Golem

Apparently the Gamescom RE7 demo is not the Beginning Hour VR thing, but actually the area from the new Lantern trailer. A few small things I've learned from reading some impressions and watching one video:

-Apparently a Capcom rep told them that the Lantern video in RE7 is completely optional, it's missable and not needed to complete the game. But I will bet you that there's something you can do in it to change the present like the small thing in the Beginning Hour teaser to get the axe.

-Ms. Baker stalking you isn't completely silent, she actually screams out threats on occasion and gets more aggressive once she's spotted you and a bit after if you lose her with her words.

-It seems most people who played it found the sequence scary. There's articles out there from people who played the demo with headlines and supporting articles like, "'Resident Evil 7 took just 15 minutes to creep me out". and, "Resident Evil 7 possibly the scariest game in the franchise?".

Zambatoh

Apparently the Gamescom RE7 demo is not the Beginning Hour VR thing, but actually the area from the new Lantern trailer. A few small things I've learned from reading some impressions and watching one video:

-Apparently a Capcom rep told them that the Lantern video in RE7 is completely optional, it's missable and not needed to complete the game. But I will bet you that there's something you can do in it to change the present like the small thing in the Beginning Hour teaser to get the axe.

-Ms. Baker stalking you isn't completely silent, she actually screams out threats on occasion and gets more aggressive once she's spotted you and a bit after if you lose her with her words.

-It seems most people who played it found the sequence scary. There's articles out there from people who played the demo with headlines and supporting articles like, "'Resident Evil 7 took just 15 minutes to creep me out". and, "Resident Evil 7 possibly the scariest game in the franchise?".

At this point I wouldn't be surprised. This is their first real attempt at an actual horror game in this series.

Also the Lantern demo just solidifies my impression that the VHS segments are intentionally designed to be closer to SOMA or Amnesia whereas the main game itself might be closer to a traditional classic RE. But in first person.

derFeef

I am a huge horror games fan but I have never played the Resident Evil games before 4 and I never finished any RE game period. I enjoyed (what I played of) 4, 5 and even 6, loved what I played of both Revelations and need to finish all of them some day. Thanks to the sale I now will start from the beginning and with my slow gaming pace I am maybe done with RE1 remaster when RE2 remake will come out.

Only have a PC and an XB1 so I will be limited to those platforms. Played RE4 on a friends borrowed Gamecube back in the day, was so damn sacared, haha. Looking forward to RE1. Oh, should I play Zero as well BEFORE 1 or just after 1?

Some day I will star the Silent Hill games...

kamineko

^^^I'd save Zero for after Remake, maybe after 2 as well. It assumes previous knowledge of the franchise

Though I'd say it's not hugely important

Though playing two first will set you up for the dumbest easter egg in the series, maybe in any series
(Birkin's Lab and the magic cablecar)

As I am finishing up Ada Wong's campaign in RE 6 I'm realizing the biggest issue issue with it is the designers ideas about adding variation to the game.

RE 6 bases it's variation on things outside of it's core mechanics (QTEs, vehicles, stealth, swimming, forced running, and really bad puzzles). Except none of that variation is fun because none of it is flesh out. The core mechanics don't support stealth. They either have a direct line of site on you or not and that's all that matters. Camera doesn't support looking around angles well? Too bad. Extravagant kill animations make the stealth make no damn sense? Too bad. Caught by the enemy? Sucks for you, you only got that one chance and you will now be swarmed by every enemy in the level and there are no mechanics which allow you to hide again. And it's not like it's a one off thing! Sherry chapter 2 and 3 and Ada chapter 1 (and apparently chapter 4 from what I've heard) all have stealth sections in them. Same with the vehicles. Why are there random Snowmobiles in Sherry chapter 2? The level isn't big enough for them and you can only drive them in that small section and they control like shit on top of that. Sherry/Jake chapter 1, 2, and 4 have vehicles as does Chris/Piers chapter 3 and 4 do as well and I know Ada will have have one based off of the Leon/Helena campaign. The swimming section in Leon/Helena chapter 3 and Ada chapter 1 wouldn't be so bad if the controls were worth a damn, but they aren't. And then there are just little things like edge slipping in Sherry/Jake chapter 1. Why is that even a thing? Why is grave slipping in Leon/Helena chapter 2 a thing when it then gives you a fixed camera angle that makes it impossible to fucking shoot at anything (it might have been clever if not for the fixed angle shit)? And can I just say: The "Press A to make Ada shoot the rappel gun and watch her do a cool flip" could have lead to a cool gameplay mechanic but nope, just "press A".

And then there is shit that I just can't believe passed the design phase:

E_Jake-06B.jpg

Who the fuck thought it was a good idea to make it so that you can barely see (there are points in the level where visibility is even worse) as you have long distance enemies and enemies that fly around!? Or to make it so that if you are knocked down at the top of the hill, the ice in the level will force you to slide all the way back down to the bottom with no way to stop yourself? Or the previously mentioned issue with the snowmobile? And then adding in a mandatory stealth section after a mandatory vehicle section? And then top that all off with a QTE section?

This is the most fun you can have in RE 6:

4yXtdmg.gif

wU7FUoR.gif

tumblr_n8dppjum0o1qdxux9o1_500.gif

The added variation should have exploited those mechanics to their fullest, because as Mercenaries showed, RE 6's combat system is a damn fun time.

And that's why I like Leon/Helena the best: It's lacks the most amount of bullshit.

JayEH

Yeah they bit off more than they could chew with 6. They wanted to make a game for everyone and ended up not pleasing anyone fully.

Top Bottom