• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil Community |OT2| Best Fans Ever!

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
She is talking to her imaginary friend, Agent.

This is the real reason that Capcom expect RE7 to ship 4million copies in ~2 months, off the back of the RE2make 2 demo they'll pack it with

It really isn't though, Japanese fans find it as silly as we do. No localisation changes how ridiculous the series plot is. Even some memes unique to the English versions are popular there.

The plot (with recent discussion of 6 demonstrating good examples) may be unintentionally goofy in both versions, but the western version has... jokes? A lot of quips from Rev 2 (many of which I like) are Western-only.

But the tone can impact our experiences with the series. Like, what is Leon's relationship with the US government really like? It seems Leon and Sherry were captured by government operatives after 3. Wasn't he press-ganged into working for the government while they held Sherry captive for experimentation? It's pretty dark.

Just kind of thinking out loud here

EDIT
You always choose RE4

Edit: lol top of the page. Even without context my statement is true though.

without even seeing the post(s) you are responding to... I agree

The plot (with recent discussion of 6 demonstrating good examples) may be unintentionally goofy in both versions, but the western version has... jokes? A lot of quips from Rev 2 (many of which I like) are Western-only.

But the tone can impact our experiences with the series. Like, what is Leon's relationship with the US government really like? It seems Leon and Sherry were captured by government operatives after 3. Wasn't he press-ganged into working for the government while they held Sherry captive for experimentation? It's pretty dark.

Just kind of thinking out loud here

EDIT

without even seeing the post(s) you are responding to... I agree

While what happened to Sherry was clearly unacceptable and I hope she gets away, wasn't Leon besties with the President after saving his daughter? Or did Leon become best friends with a different President?

I thought that was Claire, not Leon?

Mr_Zombie

While what happened to Sherry was clearly unacceptable and I hope she gets away, wasn't Leon besties with the President after saving his daughter? Or did Leon become best friends with a different President?

He saved the daughter of President Graham. The President from RE6 who Leon was besties with - Adam Benfort - was the guy who gave him an "offer" after RE3.

kamineko

More on Claire's ending:

the version we know:
zG8rZf0.jpg

Alternate translation (pulled from this post)

"Leave Sherry behind with me."
When Claire Redfield heard what Leon said, she couldn't believe her ears.
"Leon, why?"
"You're looking for your brother, right?"
The weakened Sherry and injured Leon were in need of immediate medical care.
But she had no more time to spare.
"I... I'll definitely come back. I promise!"
Claire disappeared into the wilderness alone.

Back in the day, I never understood Leon's hostility toward Claire... Didn't that ending hit anyone else kinda weird?

JayEH

Maybe he was hostile to make her leave that you know I'm doing this to keep you safe trope. If she stayed with them she would probably be forced to work for the government as well.

Mr_Zombie

Uhm, guys - that was right after they escaped Raccoon City, before anyone even came to save them and gave their offers. They just survived the zombie apocalypse and barely managed to escape a huge tentacle blob monster and a train explosion. What was in Claire's best interest was waiting for some medical (and psychological?) help, not going on a tour de Europe to look for her dick brother who couldn't be bothered to text her back.

JayEH

Uhm, guys - that was right after they escaped Raccoon City, before anyone even came to save them and gave their offers. They just survived the zombie apocalypse and barely managed to escape a huge tentacle blob monster and a train explosion. What was in Claire's best interest was waiting for some medical (and psychological?) help, not going on a tour de Europe to look for her dick brother who couldn't be bothered to text her back.

But they were with the daughter of one of the guys who caused all this mess. No matter what Claire would have been detained for a good amount of time which is time she can't use to look for Chris.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
My controversial mainline Resident Evil character opinion is that I don't care one way or another about Jill. I don't dislike her, but while the RE characters aren't exactly known for their deep personalities and developments, I feel Jill's personality is about as deep as a paper towel. I think she's had the opposite development effect of most of the other characters in the series, where their first entry had their personality at the most shallow and they got a little more characterization as the series went on, and instead had the most personality in RE1 and has slowly gotten shallower in each of her appearances.

That's just my opinion though, whenever Jill is announced on occasion to be in a new game, I don't dislike the decision or anything, I'm just met with indifference.

JayEH

Hmm yeah you're right. Capcom hasn't really given her a chance to shine. Her storylines outside of 1 and 3 just involve how close she and Chris are as partners. She could really use another game as the sole lead.

For a normal person, sure, but she's a Redfield. Got hero in her blood, son.

c-murph

Any word on another RE Outbreak game? Seems like it would work really well nowadays with the internet being a thing and all...

OniBaka

I think she's had the opposite development effect of most of the other characters in the series, where their first entry had their personality at the most shallow and they got a little more characterization as the series went on, and instead had the most personality in RE1 and has slowly gotten shallower in each of her appearances.

Sounds like she needs to hang out with Leon more than Chris.

Nudull

Banned
I never gave the slightest of shits about Chris. It seemed that he didn't even grow much a personality until 5 and 6. Hell, drunk douchebag Chris from 6 was the most amount of personality I've ever seen from him.

derFeef

RSB

Banned
Leon is the worst main line protagonist the series has, so it makes sense for him to be an asshole in re2.
I agree, which is kinda funny, cause RE2 and RE4 are my favorite games in the series (alongside REmake) I don't care much about Claire either TBH. Chris and Jill are easily my favorite classic characters.

I still think it's time to pass the torch though. Seeing younger characters like Jake, Sherry and Moira having important roles in the last couple games has been great. The classic characters should play more of a support role in future games IMO.

Mr_Zombie

My controversial mainline Resident Evil character opinion is that I don't care one way or another about Jill. I don't dislike her, but while the RE characters aren't exactly known for their deep personalities and developments, I feel Jill's personality is about as deep as a paper towel. I think she's had the opposite development effect of most of the other characters in the series, where their first entry had their personality at the most shallow and they got a little more characterization as the series went on, and instead had the most personality in RE1 and has slowly gotten shallower in each of her appearances.

That's just my opinion though, whenever Jill is announced on occasion to be in a new game, I don't dislike the decision or anything, I'm just met with indifference.

I like Jill, but I agree with you. After RE3 her character just stopped existing. Her whole character was downgraded to being Chris' partner: in both RE5 and Rev1 Chris is looking for her, while she looks for Chris in Rev1. Apart from that you could replace her with a generic female protagonist #12 and no one would notice a difference.

Leon is the worst main line protagonist the series has, so it makes sense for him to be an asshole in re2.
I just want to fucking shave his hair! It's so damn annoying with the emo haircut falling into his eyes all the fucking time in cutscenes, he's like sporting the Leonardo Titanic hairdo in 2016.

NeoCane

I just want to fucking shave his hair! It's so damn annoying with the emo haircut falling into his eyes all the fucking time in cutscenes, he's like sporting the Leonardo Titanic hairdo in 2016.

no fan either normally but i really like it in RE4 etc. has some bad ass feeling ;).

First chapter and a half of Resident Evil 4 (about four and a half hours):

At first I was getting really annoyed. I booted up this game, forgetting from my brief experience with it a few years back that this game was fucking brutal. I went in assuming that I'd be able to steamroll over groups of zombies while I ran through the areas. I nearly died in the first area. And then I quickly died in the second. And then I died a second time. And then I nearly died a third yet again on the second area. My rushing in to go for kicks and quick head shots wasn't working. I'd simply get surrounded and killed very quickly since three hits means death. I realized that RE 5 and 6 had so thoroughly taught me that individual zombies weren't a threat that I wasn't treating them like one. My mistake. A single zombie in RE 4 can easily kill your ass because they hit like a tank and can take as much damage as one (two head shots and two kicks/four headshots are the norm). Another thing I realize was that RE 5's Chris was positively limber compared to RE 4 Leon. It's actually kind of funny that the older these characters get, the more mobile they are actually getting because of gameplay changes. Thing is: Because of the tank controls, how hard the zombies hit, how much damage zombies could take, how much of a death sentence getting surrounded was, how limited ammo could be, and how much more limited the camera during shooting was every battle became tense. At any given moment I could go from being a bonafide zombie slayer to barely limping through the area as I'm running away more often than not, almost begging the music to go off so that would mean I finally killed all the zombies. Just hearing the breathing clips that let you know a zombie is nearby but not being able to see them was very tense because a single mistake costs you half your health bar. And it was at that point I was having a fucking blast.

This game stands head and shoulders above RE 5 and RE 6's design. The zombies are a threat, the fights are tense, the pacing is actually so good there hasn't been a moment of boredom since the game is constantly doing something new with enemy placement and mechanics, the variation is actually based around the core mechanics, there hasn't been a single sign of shooting galleries, I could go on all day. And I fucking love The Merchant. He makes shopping so much more fun than RE 5's shopping and RE 6's shitty skill system. And I LOVE that they had the dog/wolf you save at the beginning come back during the Gigante fight. I was like "Why would they... Oh. Oh this has to happen!" And it did! The story is so gloriously cheesy whether or not it was intentional!

Jawmuncher

I feel like the only thing RE4has over 5 is better atmosphere and sense of dread (due to the longer and bigger levels that loop back around so it feels like you're exploring)along with the merchant. RE5 gameplay easily outclasses RE4 and story along with characters is personal taste.

I feel like the only thing RE4has over 5 is better atmosphere and sense of dread (due to the longer and bigger levels that loop back around so it feels like you're exploring)along with the merchant. RE5 gameplay easily outclasses RE4 and story along with characters is personal taste.

I'd agree with you until Chapter 3 where you're dealing with enemies with gun turrets and sniper rifles which culminates in Chapter 5 where enemies suddenly get AKs and I suddenly have to use the absolute shittiest cover system to deal with them as I take tons of chip damage and knockback (which is unbelievably annoying on higher difficulties). Too many of RE 5's combat scenarios also just throw you in an arena. The AI system also simply isn't up to the task even on Amateur/Normal. Sheva either wastes entire clips of ammo, shoots you in the back because they didn't program her to move to get a clear line of sight, or you can tell her to Cover in which she'll stay behind you and not actively engage the enemy (and if you give her a Stun Rod, she'll use that 90% of the time and mostly just stand around). The Partner system overall just seems under utilized with the only time I remember really needing the AI was during the dark tunnel where one partner has to carry the light. Otherwise the game just throws up road blocks where I have to wait for the AI to move over to the other lever and pull. I get that this probably plays a hell of a lot better with an actual Human AI partner, but as it is a lot of these ideas seem half-baked. There's just a hell of a lot more jank in RE 5 than RE 4 so far. The opening chapters of RE 5 were super promising and I would put the added mobility and enemy variety above RE 4, but it quickly falls apart.

RE4's got much much better pacing and level/set piece design too. Only real advantages to RE5 are the co-op feature, improved melee combat, and the quick inventory IMO. But as for the actual quality of the campaign (or the quality of the enemies, for that matter - not just bosses, but stuff like the Novistadors or Garradors is really superior to the enemies in RE5) RE4 is head and shoulders above 5/6.

JayEH

Co op kills any chance of RE5 being better than 4 IMO. RE5 is the better playing game and is super well paced until last chapter...but you have to deal with Sheva and the nonsense surrounding that. RE6 fixed this by you not having to worry about your partner at all thankfully and the AI was actually useful.

Jawmuncher

I'd agree with you until Chapter 3 where you're dealing with enemies with gun turrets and sniper rifles which culminates in Chapter 5 where enemies suddenly get AKs and I suddenly have to use the absolute shittiest cover system to deal with them as I take tons of chip damage and knockback (which is unbelievably annoying on higher difficulties). Too many of RE 5's combat scenarios also just throw you in an arena. The AI system also simply isn't up to the task even on Amateur/Normal. Sheva either wastes entire clips of ammo, shoots you in the back because they didn't program her to move to get a clear line of sight, or you can tell her to Cover in which she'll stay behind you and not actively engage the enemy (and if you give her a Stun Rod, she'll use that 90% of the time and mostly just stand around). The Partner system overall just seems under utilized with the only time I remember really needing the AI was during the dark tunnel where one partner has to carry the light. Otherwise the game just throws up road blocks where I have to wait for the AI to move over to the other lever and pull. I get that this probably plays a hell of a lot better with an actual Human AI partner, but as it is a lot of these ideas seem half-baked. There's just a hell of a lot more jank in RE 5 than RE 4 so far. The opening chapters of RE 5 were super promising and I would put the added mobility and enemy variety above RE 4, but it quickly falls apart.

Co op kills any chance of RE5 being better than 4 IMO. RE5 is the better playing game and is super well paced until last chapter...but you have to deal with Sheva and the nonsense surrounding that. RE6 fixed this by you not having to worry about your partner at all thankfully and the AI was actually useful.

I never felt Shevas AI was an issue until trying to play on professional without infinite ammo. Outside of that keeping her to one decent gun and the shock stick works pretty well.

RE4's got much much better pacing and level/set piece design too. Only real advantages to RE5 are the co-op feature, improved melee combat, and the quick inventory IMO.

I guess I can see that. I'm in the camp that the combat improvements along with the story take it past RE4 for me.

Jawmuncher

Don't expect RE4 to have a platinum trophy on PS4. Capcom has made no mention of it and banned a user asking to see the trophy list during a stream.

kamineko

I wish they'd just come out and say there's no plat

It'll probably take up half of the first page of the OT if not more

I guess I can see that. I'm in the camp that the combat improvements along with the story take it past RE4 for me.

To me, the difference between RE 4 and RE 5/6 is the difference between DMC 1/3 and DMC 4. In terms of sheer playability and depth of combat, DMC 4 takes the cake. However, as an overall package, DMC 1/3 far surpass DMC 4 which has two dice sections, Gyro blades, 6 copy paste levels, lame boss characters, and having to fight the same bosses three separate times. Same holds for RE. RE 4 is far more limited in combat, enemy diversity, and flexibility but the pacing, level design, combat situations, design variety, etc. is far more enticing than RE 5's (especially towards the end) and especially RE 6 which only gets the core combat down and nothing else. Personally, I'm getting so tired of recommending modern Capcom titles with "The combat is great as long as you ignore the level design".

Jawmuncher

To me, the difference between RE 4 and RE 5/6 is the difference between DMC 1/3 and DMC 4. In terms of sheer playability and depth of combat, DMC 4 takes the cake. However, as an overall package, DMC 1/3 far surpass DMC 4 which has two dice sections, Gyro blades, 6 copy paste levels, lame boss characters, and having to fight the same bosses three separate times. Same holds for RE. RE 4 is far more limited in combat, enemy diversity, and flexibility but the pacing, level design, combat situations, design variety, etc. is far more enticing than RE 5's (especially towards the end) and especially RE 6 which only gets the core combat down and nothing else. Personally, I'm getting so tired of recommending modern Capcom titles with "The combat is great as long as you ignore the level design".

That's a good way to put it actually.

Golnei

Personally, I'm getting so tired of recommending modern Capcom titles with "The combat is great as long as you ignore the level design".

It'd be nice to be able to give that a rest. As far as DMC is concerned, Dragon's Dogma at least showed a marginal improvement on that front, and while Revelations 2 was nothing hugely impressive, the structure of its campaign was much more cohesive than anything from 6. 7 might be where they're going to need to show that it's still possible for them to anchor a game on something other than combat...

Don't expect RE4 to have a platinum trophy on PS4. Capcom has made no mention of it and banned a user asking to see the trophy list during a stream.

It better have one, they got a lot of shit from fans when the 360 release of RE4 had the full 1000G and the PS3 version had 12 trophies and no platinum.

Don't tell me the lazy bastards ignored the complaints from last time and just copy/pasted the trophy list.

Will actually make the difference between me buying it again or not.

JayEH

Ugh. Is it even possible to have a RE thread without it devolving into the same tired Action RE vs Classic RE arguments?

Oh well, in a few months those arguments will finally be a thing of the past. The next decade will be all about Classic RE vs Action RE vs Outlast RE. Can't wait.

that should be fun.

Top Bottom