• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil Community |OT2| Best Fans Ever!

Does anyone know where the rumors are that RE 7 was in production at the same time as RE 6? I just find it hard to believe that RE 6 and 7 were both in production when RE 6 was a 600+ person behemoth. That, and expecting 4 million sold against 5 to 6 years of full production and building a new engine?

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Does anyone know where the rumors are that RE 7 was in production at the same time as RE 6? I just find it hard to believe that RE 6 and 7 were both in production when RE 6 was a 600+ person behemoth. That, and expecting 4 million sold against 5 to 6 years of full production and building a new engine?

Not in production at the same time, not sure where you heard that. But it is confirmed that what was originally supposed to be RE7 started development less than a month after RE6's release. This came from a few sources, but the most solid was one of the higher-ups at Capcom directly saying this in early 2014 I believe as he was leaving Capcom to work at Sony. He talked about Capcom's current state of affairs, and said that Resident Evil 7 had started conceptualization less than a month after RE6 released. He also mentioned that they saw the positive reception to Leon's campaign in RE6, and mentioned that Capcom thought horror was liable again, but at the time pointed to things like Last of Us, Walking Dead, & Tomb Raider as examples. Because of this comment and a few other small things, it's speculated by some that what RE7 was originally going to be ended up turning into Resident Evil Revelations 2, but that's just speculation.

---

Also, a small thing I bet most don't know, but RE7 has a much larger team than I think people assume it does. I think many people think that RE7 has a small team, but it actually has a team that's pretty close to the size of RE6's working on it. Apparently the reasoning is that RE7 has a lot more going for it than many people think it does right now, and Capcom is aiming to make much more detailed maps that could optimize well and run at 60fps on PS4/Xbox One while still being rather impressive, and that RE7 has a lot more to it than many assume it does right now. All I can say for the moment is that RE7 isn't being made by a small team, it's actually almost as big as RE6's team.

Not in production at the same time, not sure where you heard that. But it is confirmed that what was originally supposed to be RE7 started development less than a month after RE6's release. This came from a few sources, but the most solid was one of the higher-ups at Capcom directly saying this in early 2014 I believe as he was leaving Capcom to work at Sony. He talked about Capcom's current state of affairs, and said that Resident Evil 7 had started conceptualization less than a month after RE6 released. He also mentioned that they saw the positive reception to Leon's campaign in RE6, and mentioned that Capcom thought horror was liable again, but at the time pointed to things like Last of Us, Walking Dead, & Tomb Raider as examples. Because of this comment and a few other small things, it's speculated by some that what RE7 was originally going to be ended up turning into Resident Evil Revelations 2, but that's just speculation.

---

Also, a small thing I bet most don't know, but RE7 has a much larger team than I think people assume it does. I think many people think that RE7 has a small team, but it actually has a team that's pretty close to the size of RE6's working on it. Apparently the reasoning is that RE7 has a lot more going for it than many people think it does right now, and Capcom is aiming to make much more detailed maps that could optimize well and run at 60fps on PS4/Xbox One while still being rather impressive, and that RE7 has a lot more to it than many assume it does right now. All I can say for the moment is that RE7 isn't being made by a small team, it's actually almost as big as RE6's team.

Okay, 3 years makes sense.

Having the same size team as RE 6 but expecting 3 million less sales out of the gate seems like a disaster waiting to happen. Then again, it's Capcom.

Dusk Golem

Okay, 3 years makes sense.

Having the same size team as RE 6 but expecting 3 million less sales out of the gate seems like a disaster waiting to happen. Then again, it's Capcom.

Yup, it is confirmed outside of conceptualization that RE7 started development in early 2014, so it has been in production for over two and a half years now, probably close to 3 years when it releases. That's also ironically about the same amount of time it took to make RE6.

Honestly I am very curious how RE7 will go down sales wise, reception, and what the game itself will be like. Capcom hasn't really tried to do a bigger budget and marketed horror game since... Well, in at least 10-15 years. I had kind of believe people initially that this game was the direction they took to make a more 'budgeted' RE title for 7, but apparently that's not the case and I was surprised to discover RE7 has had a staff of several hundred people working on it. There's a few other interesting tidbits I picked up on, but learning fully about RE7's development later should be interesting. One correction is I think their expectations are to sell 4 million copies before the fiscal year. From the sounds of it, Capcom is somewhat banking on brand name of the series, and they truly believe they have something special on their hands. They have shared as much in interviews multiple times, but also it seems to be one of the big pull-always from their sales expectations. Basically, their goal is to legitimately make the best survival-horror game ever and they want it to be a big surprise. We'll see how that plays out for them, but hope it turns out good!

Yup, it is confirmed outside of conceptualization that RE7 started development in early 2014, so it has been in production for over two and a half years now, probably close to 3 years when it releases. That's also ironically about the same amount of time it took to make RE6.

Honestly I am very curious how RE7 will go down sales wise, reception, and what the game itself will be like. Capcom hasn't really tried to do a bigger budget and marketed horror game since... Well, in at least 10-15 years. I had kind of believe people initially that this game was the direction they took to make a more 'budgeted' RE title for 7, but apparently that's not the case and I was surprised to discover RE7 has had a staff of several hundred people working on it. There's a few other interesting tidbits I picked up on, but learning fully about RE7's development later should be interesting. One correction is I think their expectations are to sell 4 million copies before the fiscal year. From the sounds of it, Capcom is somewhat banking on brand name of the series, and they truly believe they have something special on their hands. They have shared as much in interviews multiple times, but also it seems to be one of the big pull-always from their sales expectations. Basically, their goal is to legitimately make the best survival-horror game ever and they want it to be a big surprise. We'll see how that plays out for them, but hope it turns out good!

I mean clearly they are banking hard on brand name value when they are entering a genre that caps out at 2 to 3 million sales for even the biggest titles (Alien Isolation capped out at 2.1 million and Outlast is probably the only title in the entire genre to make it to or near 3 million).

I just wish they'd stop showing it as an Amnesia/Outlast clone when they keep saying "It's not". Keep a bunch of stuff hidden, sure, but with what they are currently showing I won't buy it at full price because I've never been a fan of what they are showing.

I just wish they'd be imitating the resource-scrounging nature of The Last of Us (and the way that monsters become much much more dangerous in packs). The resource management in that game and the way it makes you reevaluate how you're going to approach a given scenario felt gooooood after years away from classic RE and years away from the Half-Life franchise (which imo is also excellent about making resource management an important component of the game, especially in Half-Life 1).

Okay, wow. I'd never played the original RE before. Started REmake on PS4 (should I have started Zero first?) last night. Oldschool game design...I see the You Are Dead screen and I'm beginning to see where Souls gets some of its philosophies from. Loved the "Get Used to It" trophy.

So I...didn't get far. Bringing my questions to you guys.

I chose Jill Valentine at the start (naturally). Will there be moments when I switch between her and Chris or is that my character for the duration?

For the start, trying to engage zombies on any level seems like a bad idea. It's a waste of ammo (seven shots!!??) and trying to use the knife is a really good way to get yourself chewed up or killed. So am I right in assuming that running from everything is the way to go at the beginning?

Typewriter ribbons are something. I knew this was part of the classic RE experience, but I'm really seeing the value in hanging on to them for as long as possible before creating a save point. Last night was more about "testing the waters" for me to see how I'd fair against the game; trial and error, so to speak (I got completely savaged by the very first zombie). So is there a good strategy for using ribbons? Like, how much of the initial exploring/investigating should I complete before deciding to use a ribbon? Or should it come after major moments in the story?

Speaking of story...man, that dialogue/voice acting. It has sort of a campy charm to it. Is playing the game for the story rewarding in and of itself?

On average, how long does it take to complete a first-time play through of REmake (and Zero)?

Thanks guys. Truly a great community you've got here.

I'll be back later to share my thoughts on RE5.

Jawmuncher

Okay, wow. I'd never played the original RE before. Started REmake on PS4 (should I have started Zero first?) last night. Oldschool game design...I see the You Are Dead screen and I'm beginning to see where Souls gets some of its philosophies from. Loved the "Get Used to It" trophy.

I chose Jill Valentine at the start (naturally). Will there be moments when I switch between her and Chris or is that my character for the duration?

For the start, trying to engage zombies on any level seems like a bad idea. It's a waste of ammo (seven shots!!??) and trying to use the knife is a really good way to get yourself chewed up or killed. So am I right in assuming that running from everything is the way to go at the beginning?

Typewriter ribbons are something. I knew this was part of the classic RE experience, but I'm really seeing the value in hanging on to them for as long as possible before creating a save point. Last night was more about "testing the waters" for me to see how I'd fair against the game; trial and error, so to speak (I got completely savaged by the very first zombie). So is there a good strategy for using ribbons? Like, how much of the initial exploring/investigating should I complete before deciding to use a ribbon? Or should it come after major moments in the story?

Speaking of story...man, that dialogue/voice acting. It has sort of a campy charm to it. Is playing the game for the story rewarding in and of itself?

On average, how long does it take to complete a first-time play through of REmake (and Zero)?

You play either Chris or Jill in a playthrough. No switching between them, However you do switch between characters in RE0.

Don't be too scared about engaging enemies in the beginning. But yeah if they aren't directly in your way it's better to try and avoid them. Also make use of defense items.

Ribbons aren't much to worry about unless you're saving every time you see one. Because of how the game is structured if you lose progress you can easily make up for it since a lot of the downtime is just figuring out puzzles or where to go.

The story of the RE games to me are a nice balance of camp and trying to be serious. It's one of the things I like most about the series.

It shouldn't take you more than 10-12 hours to beat the game really on easy or normal for a first time. If you decide to play as the other character you'll see that time drop in half if not more.

Definitely made the right choice going with the REmake first. Zero is a fairly divisive game. So here's some other answers to your questions:
- In Jill's campaign you only ever play as Jill. Also, Jill is a good choice for a first time playthrough. Keep in mind that if you enjoy your Jill playthrough there is unique stuff in Chris's campaign.
- Playthrough time is something I've always been bad at gauging so someone may give you a better estimate.
- The story is good because of how campy it is. Check out the original version of RE1 sometime. The bad voice acting is legendary as is the uncut intro fmv: http://youtu.be/PwYu-LOXAWQ
- So a good habit to get into may be saving once you've picked up a new key. Or saving before you go to unlock something with a new key for the first time. What I mean is, if you picked up new key and you know of multiple doors it will unlock then maybe do a save before unlocking the first one of those doors. After awhile you'll start to get a feel for when a good time to save is.
- Only kill what you think you can't get past without taking a hit. Otherwise, just try to avoid enemies. Keep in mind that you can kind of manipulate zombies into moving where you want them fairly easily which should help with navigating the mansion without taking too many bites.

The REmake made a big impression on me back when I played it on the GameCube. I'd be curious to hear how your playthrough goes and if the game holds up for someone going in with no prior experience.

Definitely made the right choice going with the REmake first. Zero is a fairly divisive game. So here's some other answers to your questions:
- In Jill's campaign you only ever play as Jill. Also, Jill is a good choice for a first time playthrough. Keep in mind that if you enjoy your Jill playthrough there is unique stuff in Chris's campaign.
- Playthrough time is something I've always been bad at gauging so someone may give you a better estimate.
- The story is good because of how campy it is. Check out the original version of RE1 sometime. The bad voice acting is legendary as is the uncut intro fmv: http://youtu.be/PwYu-LOXAWQ
- So a good habit to get into may be saving once you've picked up a new key. Or saving before you go to unlock something with a new key for the first time. What I mean is, if you picked up new key and you know of multiple doors it will unlock then maybe do a save before unlocking the first one of those doors. After awhile you'll start to get a feel for when a good time to save is.
- Only kill what you think you can't get past without taking a hit. Otherwise, just try to avoid enemies. Keep in mind that you can kind of manipulate zombies into moving where you want them fairly easily which should help with navigating the mansion without taking too many bites.

The REmake made a big impression on me back when I played it on the GameCube. I'd be curious to hear how your playthrough goes and if the game holds up for someone going in with no prior experience.
I defintely miss the original voice acting in remake. I only started it up on PS4 but I do remember they changed it for the GC remake. One of the few things I didn't like about it.

Zambatoh

Definitely made the right choice going with the REmake first.

I'm not sure I agree. REmake gave a lot of newcomers a false preconception of what the series actually is. Which is part of why we have this great big divide between fans since RE4 was basically a direct continuation of what RE2 and 3 started and not what REmake started.

JayEH

Well that maybe true but I would recommend going through 2 and 3 after remake still. You'll still get the same series progression as everyone else IMO.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=215063685&posted=1#post215063685

players explore the environment and use pistols, shotguns, flamethrowers, explosives and chainsaws to kill mutant creatures. Combat is accompanied by realistic gunfire, screams of pain, and exaggerated blood-splatter effects. As players progress through the story, cutscenes can depict instances of gore and intense acts of violence: a character's arm dismembered by a chainsaw; a man's leg taken off at the knee with a shovel; a character impaled through the face with a shovel.

Lol, even RE 6 didn't have flamethrowers and chainsaws for the protagonists. I'm actually interested now.

And people will still say RE7 is a hide and seek game.

And now I pissed off a lot of people in the other thread with "HOW DO YOU KNOW IT WON'T BE SCARY!?"

RE has never been scary. RE 6's villain was a guy with blue balls and a clone of Ada Wong, RE 5's villain was a "totally legit science bro" powered super villain Wesker and a woman who wants into Wesker's new world AND his tight leather pants, RE 4's villain seems to be a wacky cult leader, Revelations story is actually kind of boring and the monsters are "spooky" alien creature of the deep looking monsters as well as FULL ON REPTILES WHO WALK ON TWO LEGS, and RE 1 has such bad acting even at the time that and story tension is lost (and from what I hear Code Veronica is the one which introduced all the wacky science superpower stuff). RE 7 being "scary", whatever the intention of the developers before RE 7 or after, would be an aberration. People seem to conflate "tense" with "scary".

I'm being flippant more than anything because this is the first news that has interested me since E3 about the game. I've never been an Amnesia/Outlast fan, so the more info like this that is released, the happier I am about buying the game at full price. I'd still prefer Classic/RE 4 style game, but if this is just Classic/RE 4 + FPS then I'm more than fine with it.

BTails

For me, the fear in Resident Evil games has always been (Besides a few jump scares) the fear of lost progression and item management. That nervousness you get when you haven't saved in an hour: what do you do if you get attacked by a zombie? Do you use a first-aid spray, even though you only have one left, or do you reload your saved game?

Jawmuncher

I wonder if it might end up being a little like Doom 3. Where it's action but tries to keep more of a scary feel. While obviously being a bit more tame.

So the main chRacter is named Ethan and looking for his wife?

220px-Ethan_Hawke_-_2009_Venice_Film_Festival.jpg

+

6608_front.jpg

=

RE7-Logo.jpg

???

Jawmuncher

At this point I figure we're getting a big dump at TGS. New Trailer, new Demo, and the mystery of the finger. I think they're gonna start ramping up the advertising to show that it's not the typical hide and seek stuff.

TreIII

For me, the fear in Resident Evil games has always been (Besides a few jump scares) the fear of lost progression and item management. That nervousness you get when you haven't saved in an hour: what do you do if you get attacked by a zombie? Do you use a first-aid spray, even though you only have one left, or do you reload your saved game?

Yeah, effectively. It's always been more of a manic thing for me, where I wonder if I'm truly prepared what's around the corner than anything else.

Anyway, thanks ESRB. Giving me more information to motivate me about my interest in RE7 more than Capcom has in the last few months.

You'll fight a Xenomorph later on as well.

My mind is being blown here. Like, they don't even try to justify the change, Leon is just like "yeah, we in a castle now" and shit just goes sideways! I'm suplexing cultists in a midevil castle with zombie Napoleon running the show as I fight S&M Wolverine in a dungeon. And the characters just role with it! It's like I'm in a different game!

Jawmuncher

My mind is being blown here. Like, they don't even try to justify the change, Leon is just like "yeah, we in a castle now" and shit just goes sideways! I'm suplexing cultists in a midevil castle with zombie Napoleon running the show as I fight S&M Wolverine in a dungeon. And the characters just role with it! It's like I'm in a different game!

Yeah in a way RE4 due to it's setting changes is almost like 3 games in one. I feel like this is what Mikami wanted to do with TEW as well, since that game as a ton of location changes as well.

JESUS! That area that looks like an 8 with all the cultists that are waiting for you was intense! Almost ran out of both Rufle and Shotgun ammo. And then the relief I felt when I realized the next room was a merchant room when I saw the blue flame. Usually by the 7 hour mark you can see the designers run out of steam but not here!

Alien grasshoppers with invisibility cloaks in a castle sewer...

"Enemy Cohesion" probably wasn't tossed around much in meetings, but I ain't even mad. I'm lovin' this game!

Jawmuncher

So I decided to continue my CVX save from like 5 years ago (i've beaten the game before). Geez I don't know how anyone can say 0 is the worst with this one around. If any game needs a remake in the series it's this one. So many odd design decisions. Such as way too much backtracking compared to the other games and hunters that can stun lock. Plus the graphics are looking bad. They have not aged well at all. Art direction wise it looks worse than the PSX games. Everything here is so bland and muddy. Character models in cutscenes aren't much better. It's easier to give the PSX games a pass here since for their era they look really good.

Dusk Golem

It really is ironic, but Code Veronica is definitely the RE game that has aged the worst. 'Aging' can be a hard thing to define, but in Code Veronica's case, while it was graphically impressive for the time it hasn't kept up to even the pre-rendered backgrounds of RE2/RE3, and the lack of it being shiny new highlights that the all-3D direction hit RE's charming art style. Worse, it has some of the most annoying enemies in the series (Bandersnatch's can go fuck themselves, and with the increased insect enemy variety comes increased poison enemies, among other things), the puzzles feel worse and just not fun than about every other RE game, and the backtracking in it is the worst due to the great lengths they make you backtrack, and how often you do; you have to go to completely different ends of facilities that are actually rather spacious and filled with dangers.

I don't have anything against Steve, because he's hilarious.

It's a shame since Code Veronica has some definite good parts. I think some of the locations are actually pretty cool, the island prison, the Ashford private residence, the underwater cavern accessed by submarine, an arctic facility, and even the callback recreation manor... But their presentation lets them down. I actually think Code Veronica's soundtrack is up there as one of the best in the series. There's some story beats and scenes I like a lot personally, and the three main villains (Alexander, Alexia, and their father) are all memorable and interesting villains that fit the series as the quirky twisted sort which suites the franchise well. While people blame it as the entry that starts making the series 'go off the rails', I think having Wesker return as his pseudo Matrix rip-off self and play as a villainous side character is an interesting role and idea. There's a few pretty good gameplay moments and parts where things together here and there, I remember some scenes pretty fondly.

But it is definitely the RE game that could work best with a full-on remake. There's a lot of potential for there to be a great game there, but I think they didn't get the execution right. The locations are never as interesting as they should be, the pacing is the worst in the whole series, there's just a lot they missed the mark on.

---

Zero in comparison since it's often put against Code Veronica maybe doesn't have some of the highs that it has, but it's a lot more consistent, and hasn't aged that badly. Environments are gorgeous, I do like Zero's puzzles, and though there's a few kind of shitty/dull parts, I think it's paced a lot better, and I can't believe I'm saying this, but I think Zero actually has better enemies than Code Veronica. Code Veronica has a lot of interesting monster ideas, but I never felt their execution was ever really on the mark and made most of the fights more of a chore than not. Zero may have 'simple' enemies, but they're a lot more fun to fight, do feel more natural, and at least aren't spammed like they are sometimes in Code Veronica.

Also, Code Veronica has the worst 'extra mode' and unlockables in the whole series.

I can't help but think the reason they haven't taken their port of Code Veronica on PS3/360 and put it on current platforms/Steam yet is because they want to do something more extensive with the game eventually, but to be seen.

Top Bottom