• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil Community |OT2| Best Fans Ever!

Jawmuncher

If there's no guy who says RESIDENT EVIL 7, they fucked up.

Though it sounds like the title screen is probably cinematic. Like when you start the game much like the demo, you just get thrown in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Y8E-YgMMrg

Community interview with producer of RE7

Q: Will the infamous resident evil title screen voice return to RE7?
A: It's not in the game at the moment. That could change, though. We've made a new kind of title screen for a new kind of Resident Evil and right now the voice isn't a part of that.

WHAT IS THIS GAME

They also talk about a bonus mode (raid, mercs, etc.). Non answer given, sort of implies maybe something. Couple of other small, generic details regarding the game, horror, etc.

I kind of have a feeling that the game is intentionally going to start out feeling very un-RE. Mainly because of the comments before that a lot of people will wonder what anything happening in the game has to do with the RE universe, but then it becoming clearer as the game progresses. I think they'll play that into the structure of the game, too. Like for maybe the first half, you play a game that really doesn't resemble RE, but eventually you'll start seeing more familiar weapons, seeing more familiar enemies as it becomes clearer how RE7 fits into the overall RE universe. I may be just hopeful, but if they can pull that off, it could be pretty magnificent. Tying the structure and progression of the game into the story and plot that way could make something pretty great if done right.

Fighting Saddler and I'm coming across what is probably my biggest issue with what is otherwise a top tier game: the bosses tend to outstay their welcome. 300 machine pistol shots (of which 30% aren't hitting the eye because I have to constantly dodge and watch for the insta-kill move), 8 magnum shots, 10 shotgun blasts (using the Riotgun so I know it's effective long range), over 20 dodges, 5 dodged insta-kill moves, and probably the 3rd or 4th time the soundtrack is looping with the same 3 lines of dialogue looping and the fucker still didn't die. I kept thinking "this has got to be the last few shots" but the fight kept going. I finally died when I misjudged when to reload and was combo'd. It's not hard once you get the pattern so having to restart on such a bullet sponge boss is annoying.

On the topic RE 7, the more I hear the more I'm convinced that the only reason the game isn't a full reboot is because management is terrified their audience will reject the drastic new direction. If this doesn't work they can go back to the old cast and make a more RE 4/Remake like title without a Devil May Cry situation on their hands.

RSB

Banned
On the topic RE 7, the more I hear the more I'm convinced that the only reason the game isn't a full reboot is because management is terrified their audience will reject the drastic new direction. If this doesn't work they can go back to the old cast and make a more RE 4/Remake like title without a Devil May Cry situation on their hands.
OMG, that's genius. That way, when RE7 fails, they can just go back to the original plan with "RE8 - Jake's Great Saiyaman Adventures"

duder92

Neo Member
Fighting Saddler and I'm coming across what is probably my biggest issue with what is otherwise a top tier game: the bosses tend to outstay their welcome. 300 machine pistol shots (of which 30% aren't hitting the eye because I have to constantly dodge and watch for the insta-kill move), 8 magnum shots, 10 shotgun blasts (using the Riotgun so I know it's effective long range), over 20 dodges, 5 dodged insta-kill moves, and probably the 3rd or 4th time the soundtrack is looping with the same 3 lines of dialogue looping and the fucker still didn't die. I kept thinking "this has got to be the last few shots" but the fight kept going. I finally died when I misjudged when to reload and was combo'd. It's not hard once you get the pattern so having to restart on such a bullet sponge boss is annoying.

Or just slash him with the knife a few times

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car

Something weird's going on. He can't soak that much

Eh, I don't think so. I think people look too strictly at RE's lore sometimes. The RE universe is structured in a way that standalone stories and event can happen without necessarily being about the core RE characters. I mean, look at RE4. Sure, Leon was there, but it was totally standalone from the stories before outside a few ties here and there. It was a Biohazard, albeit a different one than Raccoon City, in another place. That story could have easily had a different protag (although I'm glad they didn't, since I love Leon).

The honestly truth is, I think, they don't do a hard reboot, because there's really no point in it. You can have small scale outbreaks in other places in the universe they have set up. There's no reason to simply throw all the story and canon away just the sake of revisiting the original mansion as Chris and Jill. You can have a new area reminiscent of that, in a new way, just fine.

Something weird's going on. He can't soak that much

It must have been a glitch. I just redid the fight and didn't even have to break out the Magnum. It was actually quite fun that time, so I guess that criticism goes away lol.

Considering he was being propped as a new face for the series, and capcoms want for more Wesker. He's definitely coming back in some form.

I think they regret killing Wesker off in RE 5 since they've non-stop tried to get another Wesker to take his place (RE 6 with Jake and Revelations 2 with Alex).

Eh, I don't think so. I think people look too strictly at RE's lore sometimes. The RE universe is structured in a way that standalone stories and event can happen without necessarily being about the core RE characters. I mean, look at RE4. Sure, Leon was there, but it was totally standalone from the stories before outside a few ties here and there. It was a Biohazard, albeit a different one than Raccoon City, in another place. That story could have easily had a different protag (although I'm glad they didn't, since I love Leon).

The honestly truth is, I think, they don't do a hard reboot, because there's really no point in it. You can have small scale outbreaks in other places in the universe they have set up. There's no reason to simply throw all the story and canon away just the sake of revisiting the original mansion as Chris and Jill. You can have a new area reminiscent of that, in a new way, just fine.

Bah, don't mind me, I'm just grumpy and impatient. All we can do is wait for TGS. I mean, they wouldn't do another VHS section would they?

I can't really blame them for the massive change in direction, either. They clearly lost the plot design wise with RE 6 and even RE 5 was mostly just retreading what RE 4 did, so maybe going of in this direction was for the best.

Zambatoh

I think they regret killing Wesker off in RE 5 since they've non-stop tried to get another Wesker to take his place (RE 6 with Jake and Revelations 2 with Alex).

I don't think they regret it at all. By this point Wesker had already grown stale as a villain. Which is why in the very same game they killed him off in, they introduced the Wesker children, which Alex is part of.
From the start, they fully intended to continue his legacy in some way through other characters.

I don't think they regret it at all. By this point Wesker had already grown stale as a villain. Which is why in the very same game they killed him off in, they introduced the Wesker children, which Alex is part of.
From the start, they fully intended to continue his legacy in some way through other characters.

Maybe so, but after several games, sometimes I wish they'd just shut up about the Wesker family (which I guess I'm getting with RE 7 haha).

Jawmuncher

Can really agree with wesker getting stale. Considering he is still around and people eat it up still. Umbrella corps and Wesker mode in RE zero being recent examples.

Since RE5 we got LiN, Darkside Chronicles, Mercs 3D, Remake HD, RE0 HD with added Wesker mode, CVX HD, Marvel vs Capcom 3, RE6, Rev 2 and Umbrella Corps.

All feature or mention heavily Wesker, only Rev1 and ORC were absent of him.

Safe to say they regret killing him off, especially with how his popularity increased due to RE5.

I just realized replaying RE5 that they already had plans for Alex Wesker at that point because one of the in-game files regarding the Wesker children was written by her. Pretty cool.

Mr_Zombie

You're definitely living up to your name there Mr. Zombie.

;_;

Stupid question folks...all of RE(make) takes place in the mansion?! The entire game??

You don't travel far or visit vastly different locations like in RE4-6, if that's what you mean. You do get out of the mansion, though.

They might regret killing him off since he was the closest one you could call the series "main villain". Even if he wasn't a part of the game, he was still working there in the background. All the bad guys except from Wesker were a one-note ones: appears in a game, tells his/her story, dies/mutates (or usually both).

However, it seems that with RE5 Capcom wanted to end a certain part of RE story, one which Wesker (and Spencer) was a big part of. And I'm kind of glad they did, because Wesker was getting stale and there was hardly anything they could do with him (or the Chris vs Wesker plot point) after RE5 (they could of course change the plot... >_>). But now the series really needs a proper villain, someone who could take Wesker's place as the memorable dude who you both love seeing and hate for being such a pain in the ass. Thus far neither the Revelations games nor RE6 provided such person.

Yeah we're just not used to playing a RE game that looks at the viral outbreaks in a down to earth way through the eyes of a civilian. Every game had people aiming at the people responsible for all the chaos going on in the world, but never did you play as someone who's oblivious to the organizations/people behind the viral outbreaks (I don't know if I would count the outbreak series).

This really allows for them to open up the universe and tell a lot of stories that have nothing to do with what the heroes of RE are currently doing.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
The pre-order 'Survival Pack' stuff was revealed, this is the stuff you get for pre-ordering the game. It's just some additional supplies from the main game, but shows us a few items that will be in RE7 itself:

vdBOvYq.jpg

strafer

So we might see Vendetta at TGS.

http://gematsu.com/2016/08/capcom-announces-tgs-2016-stage-schedule

16:10 to 16:40 – Resident Evil Special Stage Part 2: Resident Evil 20th Anniversary and Movie Contents Stage – Featuring Hiroyuki Kobayashi (producer) and Masachika Kawata (producer). A producer talk stage full of Resident Evil-related information. The laetst information on the live-action Resident Evil: The Final Chapter and the CG Resident Evil: Vendetta, too!

But

The following two stage events are being held on September 18, but will not be live streamed:

:(

Jawmuncher

The pre-order 'Survival Pack' stuff was revealed, this is the stuff you get for pre-ordering the game. It's just some additional supplies from the main game, but shows us a few items that will be in RE7 itself:

vdBOvYq.jpg

This is looking like starting a RE game like this
shitxkoiy.png

Gotta say that preorder pack looks like shit. Though I bet the coins are probably used to get another item or costume. Something along those lines. I can't really see there being vending machines or something. This is definitely emphasizing to me, that even with actiony moments. That the first half of the game if not most of it will be scrounging around.

The trailer they show will be released, you can bet on it.

Good to get confirmation, but also not very surprising due to... Well, every CG RE film having a trailer/reveal at TGS. I look forward to it, though! I did quite like Damnation.

Sounds like any new game stuff will probably be a part of Sony's Conference then. I don't see them doing any big reveals for RE7 gameplay or a new game and not have some sort of event for it. The trailer for Vendetta since it's tied to sony still will probably just be uploaded to youtube and shared. Kind of mad about no live stream for the RE panel.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
This is looking like starting a RE game like this
shitxkoiy.png

Gotta say that preorder pack looks like shit. Though I bet the coins are probably used to get another item or costume. Something along those lines. I can't really see there being vending machines or something. This is definitely emphasizing to me, that even with actiony moments. That the first half of the game if not most of it will be scrounging around.

Something additional I found by re-searching the survival pack is apparently it's only for use on the hardest difficulty, since the pre-order also unlcoks the hardest difficulty from the start. To quote what most pre-order pages say on it:

Pre-order bonus offer: Pre-order Resident Evil 7 biohazard and receive the Survival Pack which includes an early unlock to the hardest difficulty mode and a special item pack to help you survive the horror that awaits.

Jawmuncher

Something additional I found by re-searching the survival pack is apparently it's only for use on the hardest difficulty, since the pre-order also unlcoks the hardest difficulty from the start. To quote what most pre-order pages say on it:

It's still such a odd bonus. If it's like you said in the other thread and gameplay is vastly different. It just makes it all the more odd just in general. Playing on the hardest difficulty a first time that's vastly different from every other mode is just odd. I can see the merit in it of course, maybe it makes it more tense and scary than the easier modes. But still I dunno.

Is Deadly Silence worth picking up and playing?

I enjoyed it a lot. It's a decent port of RE1, with extra features that are exclusive to the DS version. It even had a wireless multiplayer mode (that I sadly never got to try)!

The Resident Evil wikia sums it up:
...much praise was given to the gameplay additions in Rebirth mode such as quick turning, the knife no longer taking up inventory and being accessed with the L button for quick knifing, the tactical reload introduced in Resident Evil 4, which makes reloading much easier and faster, something that not even the GameCube remake had, and the ability to skip through door opening animations. These additions make Deadly Silence one of the most playable versions of RE1.

Game complete. What a hell of a ride.

Edit: I'm having fun with The Mercenaries in RE 4, but it really does highlight your limited mobility compared to later games. The main game is designed around it but the Mercenaries just swarms you with enemies.

Jawmuncher

Think I'll try this out

I enjoyed it a lot. It's a decent port of RE1, with extra features that are exclusive to the DS version. It even had a wireless multiplayer mode (that I sadly never got to try)!

The Resident Evil wikia sums it up:

The MP wasn't bad when I played it awhile back. Since I think you can try it with one cart.

Game complete. What a hell of a ride.

Edit: I'm having fun with The Mercenaries in RE 4, but it really does highlight your limited mobility compared to later games. The main game is designed around it but the Mercenaries just swarms you with enemies.

Mercenaries in RE4 to me shows just how much an improvement RE5 was in regards to gameplay. The added melee really helps with crowd control. Still not bad but I usually don't go back to it as much.

Gradon

I think this might be why I didn't like it compared to RE5 and RE6's Mercenaries modes. I feel very stressed when playing RE4's Mercenaries but much at ease on the others. I couldn't enjoy it that much.

I love how stressful RE4 Mercs is. It retains that claustrophobic horror of the main game and amps it up to a ridiculous extreme (I kinda wish you could select some of the scary tracks to play instead of the arcadey ones). The castle map is fucking intense. There's also a simplicity I really like about 4's Mercs.

It's not as deep or as content packed as the others, but it's probably my favorite overall, or at least the one I've played the most. 5's is the best though, especially in sweet sweet coop.

I wonder if Capcom is going "screw it" and doing a REmake of RE3 as well since it uses so many of the same areas as 2.

Revelations 3 should totally star Carlos and Billy :p

I wonder if Capcom is going "screw it" and doing a REmake of RE3 as well since it uses so many of the same areas as 2.

Revelations 3 should totally star Carlos and Billy :p

If RE2Make is successful, I'm sure it has a strong possibility of happening. But does three really use many of the same areas? There's the police station and parts of the city, but for the most part, I think RE3's locales are pretty different from what I remember.

If RE2Make is successful, I'm sure it has a strong possibility of happening. But does three really use many of the same areas?

It doesn't, but this perception persists anyway for some reason.

I used to be one of those people who called RE3 an 'expansion pack' of RE2, but after replaying it, I realized it actually only uses a very small fraction of areas from RE2. The majority of the game is really all new.

It has a limited area of the RPD, and nowhere else directly from RE2. You run around the streets for a while, but they're all completely new streets that connect to new buildings to explore.
There is literally about 10 rooms that you go to in RCPD that are shared with RE2 and you're there for about 10 minutes of the game.
People who say otherwise either don't remember RE3 or haven't played it.

Capcom would technically be able to reuse a lot of assets from RE2make though. Models of things like street props can be safely recycled to make new backgrounds for RE3make (assuming they're doing prerendered backgrounds again). It's still the same city after all. Just different areas within it.

Jawmuncher

Decided to play Resident Evil 5 again. Will probably just be jumping between all of the action games again. The gameplay in RE5 though, delicious. It never gets old for me. While I don't mind going back to RE4. I do always have a small time of adjusting due to the lack of additional context melee and having to pause for the inventory. Having everything at my finger tips and being rewarded for knowing the system is just great.

While I love RE6 mercs, if I absolutely had to pick one. I probably would pick RE5 still. We talked about it before. But the weight behind melee is just so satisfying here.

It doesn't, but this perception persists anyway for some reason.

I used to be one of those people who called RE3 an 'expansion pack' of RE2, but after replaying it, I realized it actually only uses a very small fraction of areas from RE2. The majority of the game is really all new.

Capcom would technically be able to reuse a lot of assets from RE2make though. Models of things like street props can be safely recycled to make new backgrounds for RE3make (assuming they're doing prerendered backgrounds again). It's still the same city after all. Just different areas within it.

I doubt they'll to pre-rendered. Just because at some point that becomes a pain in terms of scaling. Fully feel that they'll be using the RE engine, and do something like Dino Crisis/CVX.
Which were all 3D but still fixed cameras that could follow the player however. That scales better and helps stand the test of time for future porting. Since it seems like the reason the older games aren't on Steam, is because capcom wants to make the REmake stuff the new faces for the series. However I could still see them offering the classic versions later on (Other platforms besides PSN), since that's more money still at the end of the day.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
Guns in RE5 also have a satisfying weight. The crack of the Hydra sounds terrific

EDIT:
Also, just finished my pro run of RE4. Seems like a great difficulty... good challenge without totally stressing me out. I sold all my guns at the end and bought a mine thrower w/max upgrades. That thing staggers him with a single hit, lol. Went through my mines and a couple of grenades & Ada threw the special RL. Never tried the mines on Saddler, but they make him so easy. What a great game, I'm still trying new stuff after all these years

So... Krauser's arm is a viral thing from Wesker, right? Not plaga-related at all?

Top Bottom