• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL Community Thread: Tank Controls > *

Ithil said:
Why didn't Capcom give the REmake treatment to RE2 and 3?

I know it wasn't a sales thing for REmake (since that sold rather well), they just never planned to do it at all, but why not?

Now, RE2 and 3 have aged VASTLY better than RE1, they're both still playable, still scary, and still fun, whereas RE1 is just a bit too dated to be effective anymore. Still, the improvements in graphics, and the extra areas and plot points added, like REmake, would have been made for a brilliant RE2make and RE3make.

Playing through RE:Deadly Silence, I still think it's crazy playable, especially with DS additions. Only annoying thing would be the silly puzzles which got exercised from the series after that point for the most part. That and some of the bogus invisible animation frames zombies get.

AgentOtaku said:
Playing through RE:Deadly Silence, I still think it's crazy playable, especially with DS additions. Only annoying thing would be the silly puzzles which got exercised from the series after that point for the most part. That and some of the bogus invisible animation frames zombies get.

Seriously, the changes made in the DS version makes it infinitely better than the Director's Cut version. I'm playing it right now and the differences are like night and day o_O

Prime Blue said:
That was the biggest point of criticism in the fanbase when the game was first released. It has no connection to everything that came before, it only uses some established character names. Instead, they should have branched off the series into completely different directions: the classic gameplay titles concerned with the cheesy B-movie stories, and the action gameplay titles concerned with over-the-top Hollywood camp.

The initial RE4 was drop-dead gorgeous and looked like a neat progression of the old gameplay while keeping the claustrophobic atmosphere.

S7seK.png

w3vTq.png

sqdF1.png

FyeFz.png

yWNmY.png

The hard mode is where you get the epilogue files, right? Yes, I think the difficulty was bearable there. CODE:Veronica is pretty hard in the first hour or so, but quickly becomes easier upon receiving more weapons. I'm still hesitant to beat the remake and RE0 on the hard setting because they can be quite brutal...

I think it's RE's fault that you have the tendency to horde gun shells until the end :p

I have this urge to replay all the main Resident Evils in the series, what's the best order to do so? Should I go with 0 > 1 > first half of 3 > 2 > second half of 3 > CV > 4 > 5? Should I add the small in-between episodes of the Umbrella Chronicles games? Do I miss stuff from ignoring the various spin offs?

News Bot

Banned
Hecatonchires Custom said:
I have this urge to replay all the main Resident Evils in the series, what's the best order to do so? Should I go with 0 > 1 > first half of 3 > 2 > second half of 3 > CV > 4 > 5? Should I add the small in-between episodes of the Umbrella Chronicles games? Do I miss stuff from ignoring the various spin offs?

The "spin offs" are mostly all canon, so if you want a full look at the story, they are nice to have. Though not essential. A proper series playthrough would be like:

BH0
Nightmare (ignore Yawn and Richard getting bitten in the library)
BH1
Rebirth
Outbreak & File 2 (in order; Outbreak, Hellfire, Wild Things, Underbelly, Flashback, The Hive, Below Freezing Point, Desperate Times)
BH3 (first half)
BH2
The 4th Survivor
BH3 (second half)
Decisions, Decisions
End of the Road
Death's Door
Gun Survivor
CODE:Veronica
Operation Javier
Gun Survivor 4
Umbrella's End
Dark Legacy
BH4
Separate Ways
Degeneration
Revelations
BH5

The overall storyline progresses rather well if you play through the series in chrono-order.

News Bot said:
The "spin offs" are mostly all canon, so if you want a full look at the story, they are nice to have. Though not essential. A proper series playthrough would be like:

BH0
Nightmare (ignore Yawn and Richard getting bitten in the library)
BH1
Rebirth
Outbreak & File 2 (in order; Outbreak, Hellfire, Wild Things, Underbelly, Flashback, The Hive, Below Freezing Point, Desperate Times)
BH3 (first half)
BH2
The 4th Survivor
BH3 (second half)
Decisions, Decisions
End of the Road
Death's Door
Gun Survivor
CODE:Veronica
Operation Javier
Gun Survivor 4
Umbrella's End
Dark Legacy
BH4
Separate Ways
Degeneration
Revelations
BH5

The overall storyline progresses rather well if you play through the series in chrono-order.

Thanks for the list :) If I were to include the spin-offs, where would they go?

fernoca

Though the list's nice; would be better if you mention the specific games too. I mean, Nightmare is part of Umbrella Chronicles, Operation Javier is part of Darkside Chronicles on Wii for example; Separate Ways is part of Resident Evil 4 (PS2/Wii/HD).

:p

News Bot

Banned
fernoca said:
Though the list's nice; would be better if you mention the specific games too. I mean, Nightmare is part of Umbrella Chronicles, Operation Javier is part of Darkside Chronicles on Wii for example; Separate Ways is part of Resident Evil 4 (PS2/Wii/HD).

:p

True. That's one of the reasons making a playthrough list is annoying. :p

Beginnings, Rebirth, Nightmare, Death's Door, Umbrella's End and Dark Legacy are all part of Umbrella Chronicles.

Haha I didn't see Dead Aim or Gaiden listed so I thought you left'em out.

Oops. Gun Survivor 4 is Dead Aim haha.

As for Gaiden, it's not canon and is set in an alternative universe from the main series.

Played some Resident Evil 2 and completed ClaireA. This game seriously needs a hard difficulty (that I think PC version has?). In normal mode you have more granade launcher rounds than you can almost use and handgun can be ditched completely when you reach police station basement. Healing items are also way too plentiful, even if you don't use FAS.

Also thread still not in community :3.

Napalm_Frank said:
Played some Resident Evil 2 and completed ClaireA. This game seriously needs a hard difficulty (that I think PC version has?). In normal mode you have more granade launcher rounds than you can almost use and handgun can be ditched completely when you reach police station basement. Healing items are also way too plentiful, even if you don't use FAS.

Also thread still not in community :3.
Just wait until you get to play as Leon if you think Claire was overpowered.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Since it's Halloween (well, in Asia Pacific time) and Resident Evil Chronicles has been announced for the PS3, anyone plan on getting it?

Also, post the scariest RE moment you have experienced in light of Halloween! Mine is definitely the appearance of the Regenerators/Iron Maidens:

Regenerator%20(570%20x%20428).jpg

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I haven't played much of the series unfortunately (I do have all the GC games just sitting in a pile though...) but mine would be the first Garrdor in RE4. The castle atmosphere was just unsettling, but a creepier kind of unsettling than the manic village. Then you walk down to the basement and just see that... in the wall...

Cs2UU.png

The first Iron Maiden was scary, and also a pain to kill since I had skipped the thermal view or whatever. Had to knife em on my first playthrough, which didn't help with the fear.

News Bot

Banned
Got BH2 Dual Shock running perfectly finally (psxfin is the best emulator for the RE games) and did a complete playthrough of Claire A on the Japanese Normal difficulty.

yuYx6.jpg

The Japanese versions are ridiculously easy. Though I couldn't make out anything specifically which was different from the U.S.A. Version in terms of difficulty... Very odd, haha.

day late, and a dollar short, but the scariest moment in the series is still the first proper encounter with the leech zombies in the training facility in Zero. I had no idea how to best kill them, and i burned through so much ammo. The regenerators and iron maidens are scary. Sure, when you shoot stuff off them, they keep coming and eventually regrow it, but the shit you shoot off them, doesn't split into leeches that start climbing up your body, incapaciting you as you rush to pull them off you...

all the while, THAT music is playing, and the leech zombie is still slowly approaching...

novery

Planning to playing RE2 for the first time in over a decade. What version would you guys recommend? Definitely curious to play through it on N64...

novery said:
Planning to playing RE2 for the first time in over a decade. What version would you guys recommend? Definitely curious to play through it on N64...
i like the N64 version quite a lot. it has some extra files that tie it into the other games in the series better (including one that references the end of RE:Zero interestingly enough). the only way the N64 really loses out imho is the awful quality of the FMVs in it.

might be a missing mode as well, but the randomised/arrange thing is neat too.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Been replaying CVX, I just find it funny Claire's movements (when not in danger/warning mode) are stiff as hell, especially when she tries to rotate.

novery said:

Well... The PSN version is the most accessible right now though.

ULTROS! said:
Been replaying CVX, I just find it funny Claire's movements (when not in danger/warning mode) are stiff as hell, especially when she tries to rotate.

Totally lol.

Though I don't think the character animation was perfected until REmake. It's like, holy shit they actually have an animation for turning and they hold their guns in interesting ways now.

Zero was a lot worse than I remembered.
This game needed the classic item system. And a less laughable story.
Also, final boss comes pretty unexpected. It's not like the game is too short, the ending just suddenly jumps at you without any indicators.

However, I was seriously underwhelmed by the remake when I played it some months ago. Maybe it would've been better in hard mode.

Well, I've finished RE0, the first Wesker and Rebecca chapters in Chronicles and I'm moving on up to Remake.

Zero was a lot worse than I remembered.

I had a lot of fun with zero for some reason. Once I unlocked the infinite handcannon, I found myself going back and playing through it every other month or so back when I had a gamecube. In some ways I prefer it to the infinitely superior REmake, possibly just insofar as I can't fucking stand super zombies.

_dementia said:
Are tank controls really that awesome? The only RE game I have played is RE4 but I have been thinking about giving REmake a try.
Depends, really. Some people have big issues with tank controls, while others don't mind them at all.

RE2 is probably the most accessible from the classic gameplay series. Preferably the N64 version because it has a very responsive non-tank control scheme (which should have been in all subsequent versions BTW).

_dementia said:
Are tank controls really that awesome? The only RE game I have played is RE4 but I have been thinking about giving REmake a try.
they take getting used to. once you 'get' them, you won't ever stop being okay with them. they were tricky to get used to the first time any game used them, so it's not a new thing.

there's nothing *wrong* with them, per se, you just have to unlearn trying to move relative to the TV, and to learn moving relative to your character instead. i'm sure you can manage, but you might have to grit your teeth for the first hour or so before they start to click.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
theinfinityissue said:
I had a lot of fun with zero for some reason. Once I unlocked the infinite handcannon, I found myself going back and playing through it every other month or so back when I had a gamecube. In some ways I prefer it to the infinitely superior REmake, possibly just insofar as I can't fucking stand super zombies.

Yeah, Rebirth's "One Dangerous Zombie" mode ruined the game for me. Why am I being punished with a forced upgrade because I got the outfits for BOTH characters? WHY?

cvxfreak, I asked you about the series sales some months ago, and I think I found the post in question again.

cvxfreak said:
I went through and dug out some old data. Here is RE2's data as of a few years ago.

Dreamcast - 65K
PSone - 1.288M
N64 - 325K

There's no data on the Dual Shock release unfortunately. But even then, it's impossible for RE2 to be ahead at this point. RE1 was more popular than RE2 in the US, but isn't reflected due to the nature of the game's SKUs and Japan throwing things off in favor of Biohazard 2. As a single SKU, nothing beats Biohazard 2.
I was very surprised seeing such specific numbers for the individual platform releases of Resident Evil 2. Do you remember where you got that sales data from?

I just used the $5.99 credit think to get RE2 on PSN and I'm a bit confused about something. Am I able to play with Claire as the A scenario from the start or do I have to beat the game first? I've only played parts of RE2 before but I always thought you could just stick in whichever disc you wanted and play as that character first except I can't choose to switch discs yet when I press the PS button.

electroshockwave said:
I just used the $5.99 credit think to get RE2 on PSN and I'm a bit confused about something. Am I able to play with Claire as the A scenario from the start or do I have to beat the game first? I've only played parts of RE2 before but I always thought you could just stick in whichever disc you wanted and play as that character first except I can't choose to switch discs yet when I press the PS button.

You can play as either character's A scenario when you start. After you beat one A scenario, you unlock the opposite character's B scenario.

So:

Leon A -> Claire B
Claire A -> Leon B

cvxfreak said:
It's missing Extreme Battle Mode, but that's no big loss.

Whats with the hate for this mode? It's amazing. It's different everytime and is actually hard.

I owned RE2 vanilla back in the day and upgraded this to Dual Shock Version just for this mode. Let me tell you my 40 bucks was completely justified. I spent more time on that minigame than most full games.

electroshockwave said:
And how do I do that?

By selecting them from the start. Err...wait, by putting in their disk.

No wait, you have the PSN version, I'm not sure how you're supposed to differentiate the disks now.

So, uh, um, guess it, mothafuckah!

After umpteen years of praying that CapCom would finish the job and port RE Zero and ReMake to a PlayStation console, I broke earlier in the year and bought both GC games. I own and have beaten every canonical RE game except Dead Aim (didn't know it was canon until last year), and I have played ReMake at a friends' house; just never owned it.

Now I need to pick up a GameCube system, but I've never liked the controller much. probably will get a PS2 to GameCube connector so I can use PS2's familiarity to my advantage.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
electroshockwave said:
And how do I do that?

Home/PS Button->Change discs->1(Leon) 2(Claire)->Reset game. TAH-DAH. Claire A start.

Do the Wii Resident Evil Archives version of REmake and Zero support widescreen?

no. i mean, it might add black bars to the side to make it 16:9 if your TV is stretching the image, but you wouldn't want it to do that.

it's 4:3 as it should be, unless they completely re do it.

on a different topic, i played RE4 on Dolphin in 3D today. that was very happy :)

Top Bottom