• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil HD Remaster |OT| Rediscover the evil.

B-Dex

Ok. It's downloading. ^^

One question remains... Chris or Jill?

Edit: Whoever I don't choose now will be getting a go come March once I buy a PS4.

Do Jill first to get a feel for the game. Then Chris later since he has less inventory space.

Parsnip

There you go.

t1421730000z4.png

Panda Rin

First time playing this. How scary is it compared to other horror games? I had no problems playing games like RE: Revelations, Bioshock, and Metro, but I can't even watch youtube videos of games like PT.

Too many jump scares is an immediate no in my book.

Lum1n3s

First time playing this. How scary is it compared to other horror games? I had no problems playing games like RE: Revelations, Bioshock, and Metro, but I can't even watch youtube videos of games like PT.

Top tier for sure, freaked me out when it first came out and I'm sure it'll freak me out again.

It's not even close to the types of PT. REmake is still very much like other classic RE games just with much improved graphics and darker athmosphere. There are a few jump scares but they are earned and not annoying.

Grief.exe

how does this run at 4K on your 970?

I haven't pushed it over 1080p, but I'd imagine this will run like a charm at any resolution. Fanto did report he was unable to go above 1080p even with DSR enabled, I haven't done any testing myself.

Very little jump scares, all atmosphere so far. You are just alone with the quiet of the mansion.

Exodist

There are a couple of jump scares in the whole game, maybe 5-6 or something off the top of my head. Its not littered with them, but they are there. Its mostly atmosphere.

There is nothing about the HD version that is deal breaking right? I heard about blurry pre-rendered backgrounds but they don't look super horrible right?

the jump scares like the
dogs through the window
are always mentioned by people, but the utter tension and true fear the game creates as you navigate through the world is big reason why it's thought of as one of the scarier games of all time. the need to conserve ammo, health, and saves also contributes to the tension

joe2187

Banned
There is nothing about the HD version that is deal breaking right? I heard about blurry pre-rendered backgrounds but they don't look super horrible right?

You shouldnt have any issues.

Do it.

Im not telling you that you should buy it.

but you should buy it.

Panda Rin

Top tier for sure, freaked me out when it first came out and I'm sure it'll freak me out again.

It's not even close to the types of PT. REmake is still very much like other classic RE games just with much improved graphics and darker athmosphere. There are a few jump scares but they are earned and not annoying.

I haven't pushed it over 1080p, but I'd imagine this will run like a charm at any resolution. Fanto did report he was unable to go above 1080p even with DSR enabled, I haven't done any testing myself.

Very little jump scares, all atmosphere so far. You are just alone with the quiet of the mansion.

There are a couple of jump scares in the whole game, maybe 5-6 or something off the top of my head. Its not littered with them, but they are there. Its mostly atmosphere.

the jump scares like the
dogs through the window
are always mentioned by people, but the utter tension and true fear the game creates as you navigate through the world is big reason why it's thought of as one of the scarier games of all time. the need to conserve ammo, health, and saves also contributes to the tension

Thanks for the replies. I guess watching the gameplay footage didn't do it justice (didn't seem too scary from watching them). Gonna preload tonight and start it tomorrow.

Grief.exe

Thanks for the replies. I guess watching the gameplay footage didn't do it justice (didn't seem too scary from watching them). Gonna preload tonight and start it tomorrow.

It's really not that bad in terms of scares.

With that said, it's extremely tense in my mansion right now as I have crimson heads and hordes of zombies running around all over the place. The difficulty really ramped up.

You shouldnt have any issues.

Do it.

Im not telling you that you should buy it.

but you should buy it.

Oh I was going to buy it regardless. If nothing else I hope sales are strong and convinces Capcom to go back and make real resident evil games again. Not that mindless action bullshit they slap the RE name on.

TargetDummy81

Neo Member
Remember when I had my original Playstation one of the games that got repeated play alongside Castlevania Symphony of the Night and Metal Gear Solid was Resident Evil. Although I am pretty sure I put more hours into Resident Evil 2 once it came out. lol

Anyway I remember hearing about the talk of Remake for Gamecube and being excited since I enjoyed the first game so much being a fan of zombie horror movies. Even more so once I saw the first screenshots along with hearing about how they were expanding upon the game. The fact that disposing of the bodies mattered unless you got a lucky headshot made things fresh and tense even for someone used to the series.

Looking forward to playing this again and happy this classic is being released for people that either missed out on it or like me who have missed it.

I also echo the sentiments of other people in this thread and Jim Sterling in his review who entertained the idea of Resident Evil 2 getting a remake like this. Not sure if it would ever happen but seeing what was accomplished in Remake makes me think if the same effort was applied it would turn out pretty darn good.

orborborb

Can you play this remaster using the right or left trigger or the second analog stick for walking/running? Cause that is the only way I could ever enjoy tank controls (and tank controls are essential to games designed around them). A single analog stick the worst possible way to implement tank controls, dpads are only slightly better, arrow keys on a keyboard are a bit better still, but an analog stick for turning and an analog throttle for moving forward actually works pretty well.

I just don't believe for a second that the Capcom who brought us REmake would give us nearly anything we would want from a REmake 2, and you all know it.

Isn't revelations basically modern Capcom's attempt at older RE?

Prelocked and preloaded, this is going to be my first time going through this game (though I watched a friend beat it back in the day and I got about an hour or two into the Japanese Saturn version a few yeas ago). Really looking forward to it. I've been replaying Revelations recently, I'm curious to see how this compares.

Gambit61

Just finally decided to get it from steam. Hopefully my first-time run through of Silent Hill 1-3 earlier this year pay off in this. Never got around to playing the PS1 era RE games but did enjoy 4 and 5.

mattp

I just don't believe for a second that the Capcom who brought us REmake would give us nearly anything we would want from a REmake 2, and you all know it.

Isn't revelations basically modern Capcom's attempt at older RE?

solution:
hire platinum to do the remake, with kamiya at the helm

after that, hire tango and have mikami direct resident evil 7

Thank you all for watching my stream, ZERO is a great game. I ended with a Rank C, well, the game is so hard lol. I won't stream Remake HD, but thanks gaf!

KyleCross

Game was always English audio even in japan.

They created a brand new Japanese dub for this re-release, as it has become standard for the last several Resident Evil games to now have a Japanese dub as well. He's probably just wondering if the NA release has it, I'm gonna say that's a big "NO."

Mifec

Will get it on steam tomorrow, have to play a classic in 1440p 60 fps.

Also shout out to my MGS boy LD for the great OT.

Revelations just uses characters from the RE franchise and narrow corridors and calls it a Resident Evil game. It's nothing like the classics.

The first Revelations did carry over some aspects and parts of it felt way closer to "classic" RE, but then it shits the bed with a ton of shooting range bullshit. Still, I wish they would take the better parts of Revelations that felt horror driven and claustrophobic and run with that.

edit: on the Xbox One store page it says it won't unlock until 3am EST

zychi

Banned
Steam is telling me an hour before release? I'm in CST. Any easy way to trick it? Or is it just wrong and I'll have it in 15 mins?

Top Bottom