• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City |OT| A New Chanllenge by CAPCPOM & SLANT SIX

cvxfreak

Finally beat the campaign in single player, and my thoughts:

- The game is extremely buggy and unpolished, which perversely affects the gameplay experience. I'm not even talking about the framerate issues. Notable annoyances include being constantly attacked while your character is on the ground, weapons being placed RIGHT NEXT TO a fallen comrade and thus making it tricky to revive them, unrefined dodge mechanics, poor collision detection, and the lack of aninmated enemy feedback to attacks/bullets.

- Graphically, it's very awkward looking. The modeling for Claire, Leon and Jill in particular looks awful -- I wish the character models had been done by people with experience in the series. I do like the look of the CGs, which were apparently handled by the same studio that did the CGs for Darkside Chronicles, a style I happen to particularly like.

- Slant 6 did a poor job borrowing from the actual source material: some locations from RE2 and RE3 appear in the game, but in-name only as they're changed around and nearly unrecognizable. This is perhaps the most disappointing of all, because I really wanted to see the RPD, the Hospital and Birkin's lab remade with near-modern visuals -- I guess we only have Darkside Chronicles to give us what we want.

- Speaking of mistaking the source material, the scene in which Nicholai blows up the hospital (this was in RE3, so I don't consider this a spoiler) takes place completely in the wrong part of the timeline. In ORC, the scene takes place before Leon and Claire show up, but that actually takes place in the portion of RE3 that occurs after RE2 ends.

- The Spec Ops shooting portions were ridiculous. They would take place in the worst possible times as artificial barriers to completing a chapter.

- The game is extremely repetitive. Take cover, take zombies or Spec Ops out, move forward. Slant 6 didn't use the changes in environments to forge some changes in the flow of the gameplay. It was literally room after room after room each mission with maze patterns and no variety.

- The retail package is horrendously incomplete. The Echo 6 members were present nowhere in the main game, and Jill and Carlos were missing from the scenario entirely. Obviously, they'll eventually be thrown in as DLC, but it's such a shame that what the game needs is technological refinements more so than new content at this moment.

- The main campaign is very short; in fact, I'd say it's an overall smaller package than Revelations when you take into account the 3DS game's Raid Mode.

- This honestly feels like a Resident Evil game that is modeled after the live-action movies. The audio effects, menu presentation, and such feel like they were lifted from the movies. Given that ORC respects the original material as much as the live-action films do (which is basically zero), this could have been titled "Resident Evil: The Movie: The Game."

- Very little actual story -- even the Outbreak games had more story than this, and that's saying a lot.

- Tried some multiplayer and it's not too boring, but the technical issues still stand.

Overall, I can't say I'm disappointed since I had very low expectations after trying the demo at E3 last year. It's very obvious, given that the game was originally due in winter 2011, that Capcom had this one rushed out due to both Revelations and especially RE6. Another 6 months of polish and refinement would have saved this game (and I work at a game studio myself, so I've seen game development up close). If Slant 6 just had more time, this could have been decent to good.

My initial score for Operation Raccoon City is a 4/10.

MjFrancis

After reading the user reviews of this, having played NG3 and seeing the demakes of Silent Hill drop the ball this has got to be one of the more disappointing weeks in gaming in recent memory.

Vrakanox

After reading the user reviews of this, having played NG3 and seeing the demakes of Silent Hill drop the ball this has got to be one of the more disappointing weeks in gaming in recent memory.

At least Tales of Graces kicks ass. I'm actually enjoying Downpour quite a lot though despite some low reviews.

At first I was having a little fun with this game during the campaign but now that I have started playing multiplayer it has gotten a lot worse. A quick rundown of what is irritating me to no end.

1. Weapon balance or lack of weapon balance. Why is there like twenty different Assault Riffles. Is there a need for so many different weapons in the same class. Some weapons are just far too weak and others are just ridiculous. My handgun (Samurai Edge) should never be more powerful, faster rate of fire, run out of ammo less and have faster reloading than my main AR gun. So stupid. It's not like I'm using a weak AR either it's one of the middle of road guns.

2. Melee. Its so broken. Not only is it powerful, it is inescapable. The only way to survive it is hope that your opponent "auto aim" melee screws up and misses you and targets a zombie. Half the people you run into just try to run up and swipe hopelessly in attempt to catch you in an endless combo loop. Not to mention that some classes can go invisible and easily just run up too you and get a cheap melee kill.

3. Assault class. Overpowered. Great guns and perks why pick another class?

4. Field Scientists. Underpowered. Really only useful in the campaign and not so much there.

5. Lag. You can kill someone or a zombie and at times your shots will connect but they won't register for like a sec or two and then take affect. For example using a shot gun on a zombie and it hitting the zombie clear as day only for the zombie to take a few more steps toward you only to instantly explode a few seconds later. This much worse when it is a human opponent.

6. Fleet footing. The movement in this game is so slow and awkward that when people do engage in a battle all they do is circle strafe around because it faster than anything else. So everyone is moving back and forth trying to attack and dodge looking like idiots because stand still and taking precise aiming is impossible due to the amount of zombies. The aim is so inaccurate you just move back and forth and just hope you kill the other guy before he kills you. Heal and repeat.

At first I was having a little fun with this game during the campaign but now that I have started playing multiplayer it has gotten a lot worse. A quick rundown of what is irritating me to no end.

1. Weapon balance or lack of weapon balance. Why is there like twenty different Assault Riffles. Is there a need for so many different weapons in the same class. Some weapons are just far too weak and others are just ridiculous. My handgun (Samurai Edge) should never be more powerful, faster rate of fire, run out of ammo less and have faster reloading than my main AR gun. So stupid. It's not like I'm using a weak AR either it's one of the middle of road guns.

2. Melee. Its so broken. Not only is it powerful, it is inescapable. The only way to survive it is hope that your opponent "auto aim" melee screws up and misses you and targets a zombie. Half the people you run into just try to run up and swipe hopelessly in attempt to catch you in an endless combo loop. Not to mention that some classes can go invisible and easily just run up too you and get a cheap melee kill.

3. Assault class. Overpowered. Great guns and perks why pick another class?

4. Field Scientists. Underpowered. Really only useful in the campaign and not so much there.

5. Lag. You can kill someone or a zombie and at times your shots will connect but they won't register for like a sec or two and then take affect. For example using a shot gun on a zombie and it hitting the zombie clear as day only for the zombie to take a few more steps toward you only to instantly explode a few seconds later. This much worse when it is a human opponent.

6. Fleet footing. The movement in this game is so slow and awkward that when people do engage in a battle all they do is circle strafe around because it faster than anything else. So everyone is moving back and forth trying to attack and dodge looking like idiots because stand still and taking precise aiming is impossible due to the amount of zombies. The aim is so inaccurate you just move back and forth and just hope you kill the other guy before he kills you. Heal and repeat.

2.Agree

3. Because there can only be one.

4. Not true, if they get infected they became a one man army

5. haven't experienced this yet.

6. This is what we call the Socom Shuffle.

It happens.

Campaign got silly at the end, felt so disconnected.

End is awesome on co-op.

Bought the Heavy Machine Gun. Best gun to use on Heroes mode, makes them bleed in 3-5 shots and has 400 bullets. use it with Ada and her flame rounds, wow.

Pandanaut

I'm having issues with just finding something online. I have yet to get into a match and all the game does is sit at the "Searching For Players" screen. I try to back out and it hardlocks then resets my PS3.

Pandanaut

MP or co-op?

The entire Versus mode. I've tried a multitude of searches and nothing happens. I can tell it's doing something, I can still open up the XMB but it just won't go beyond "Searching For Players."

It seems to be an issue others are having from looking at the Capcom boards but it's still frustrating. I keep seeing how fun the multiplayer is and I can't even get into it. :(

The entire Versus mode. I've tried a multitude of searches and nothing happens. I can tell it's doing something, I can still open up the XMB but it just won't go beyond "Searching For Players."

It seems to be an issue others are having from looking at the Capcom boards but it's still frustrating. I keep seeing how fun the multiplayer is and I can't even get into it. :(

oh ok, I had a similar issue when I searched for a random co-op game though. haven't experienced it for mp.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Hello,

Can someone please answer this question for me....

I am an INSANELY HUUUGE fan of The Mercenaries mode of RE4, RE5 & Mercs DS. How close does the multiplayer modes in Racoon City resemble Mercenaries mode? In fact do any of the modes in this game play like Mercenaries? Timers? Combos? Melee finishes?

Please let me know.

ezekial45

Banned
Hello,

I am an INSANELY HUUUGE fan of The Mercenaries mode of RE4, RE5 & Mercs DS. How close does the multiplayer modes in Racoon City resemble Mercenaries mode? In fact do any of the modes in this game play like Mercenaries? Timers? Combos? Melee finishes?

Please let me know.

No.

VashTS

Hello,

Please let me know.

Nope. Sorry, but nothing in this game resembles mercs.

Teknoman

Well Downpour is actually pretty decent aside from enemy design, Kid Icarus is excellent, Ys Oath PC version is great, and Tales of Graces f is one of the few good current gen console JRPGs.

- This honestly feels like a Resident Evil game that is modeled after the live-action movies. The audio effects, menu presentation, and such feel like they were lifted from the movies. Given that ORC respects the original material as much as the live-action films do (which is basically zero), this could have been titled "Resident Evil: The Movie: The Game."

I was just about to post this. Just started the game now and from the menus/background, the way the Umbrella logo looks inside the lab, to the way the characters introduce themselves, it just feels like the game was based off the movies more than anything.

Going to give it a decent shot since its still under the RE...umbrella.

Hello,

Please let me know.

No get RE the Mercs 3D or Revelations.

One of the least positive online experiences I've had. Resident Evil sure has changed.

Not really, this is just a side project that isnt canon. Now whether or not you like the direction the series went after games like 5 and Revelations...thats another story.

EDIT: Alright, I gotta give Slant Six props on the quick draw function. That seems like it might be a nice addition to main series titles when using sidearms.

Or maybe not since it seems abit auto aim. I thought it was just to be able to aim in different directions without changing viewpoint. Really sucks that Framework documentation isnt translated...because this game would have really benefited from it.

panda21

this is kind of fun. only tried survivors MP so far, its cool but it seems a bit pointless. if the only aim is getting in the helicopter then the best tactic is just to sit around not doing anything until the helicopter arrives, and then run for it once it lands. its pretty easy not to get killed if you just hang around and don't shoot (zombies are attracted to you shooting it seems).

Teknoman

Music sounds like it was from the movies as well...

Honestly the first mission would have been much better if there were already forces zombiefied instead of having to fight actual normal humans.

Daigoro

rented it. just played through the campaign online, first few missions solo and the last several in co-op. its not horrible by any means, but its a bit lackluster. kind of fun. havent played MP yet.

bullet sponges are bit much, but im hoping better weapons will help out a little bit.

a decent budget game. no sale at full price for sure though. at 30 id probably go out and buy it now, but not at 60 or whatever it's selling at.

jmdajr

god damn this game is terrible it's like no polish at all.

Edit: have to be patient maybe things will get better after a few levels

Elginer

Seems Slant Six is taking back a lot of feedback on twitter and also on the Capcom Unity forums about a patch in the works for polish and for glitches. Hopefully Capcom gives them the go ahead. It's a fun game that really needed a good 6 more months of dev time to get it up to speed.

I think with some work it could really find a small audience, also it seems they have some long term DLC plans in the works as well like new game modes and we already know about a new Campaign DLC featuring SpecOps.

Produce

Goddamn it all.

The two Mr-X's at the end of Expendable stunlocked me on a car. In between the getting up and falling animation, my health bar disappeared in seconds.

Those goddamn falling and rising animations. The hunters are another one. Once they knock you down, they continue to knock you down as you are trying to bloody get up.

Elginer

Goddamn it all.

The two Mr-X's at the end of Expendable stunlocked me on a car. In between the getting up and falling animation, my health bar disappeared in seconds.

Those goddamn falling and rising animations. The hunters are another one. Once they knock you down, they continue to knock you down as you are trying to bloody get up.

Reminds me Lost Planet LOL

Mengetsu

So my friend looking on his friends list to see who was online to play this and well...Capcom strikes again.

I don't know if I should be laughing anymore...

Owzers

Played 20 minutes of single player offline campaign, turned it off because it felt very stiff and wasn't fun. Tried to get into a team attack multiplayer mode and it never matched me up with a game, tried to cancel out of it and i think it froze my ps3.

Fun rental adventures.

jmdajr

OK, once I got a friend to play campaign with me and got to Zombie killing and not those damn soldiers it became a bit more fun. But it's no way the caliber of an actual RE game.

ezekial45

Banned
Goddamn it all.

The same thing happened to me. It was annoying as hell, especially since I was playing solo and the AI teammates were too dumb to help me out.

Teknoman

OK, once I got a friend to play campaign with me and got to Zombie killing and not those damn soldiers it became a bit more fun. But it's no way the caliber of an actual RE game.

Yeah once bioweapons show up, its actually not that bad...but it still seems like a download title side story game.

The game should have NEVER had you fighting normal humans.

jmdajr

Yeah once bioweapons show up, its actually not that bad...but it still seems like a download title side story game.

The game should have NEVER had you fighting normal humans.

The first level is HORRIBLE. I can see after only playing that no one would want to venture further.

I finished the campaign of this game, COMPLETE UTTER SHIT. The last level blew my mind with the complete utter stupidity of it all. There is so much wrong with it from glitches to poor level design. The game is incredibly repetitive with areas that clearly had no thought put into them, it is just a big area with monsters and guys shooting at you. Everything is a bullet sponge with almost no reaction animations so you cant even tell if you are hitting some of them nor stagger them. The story is a complete mess, it actually feels incomplete as some areas just magically jump to a new section with no explanation what so ever.

Maybe multiplayer can save me. I decide to try the standard team deathmatch. In this mode you get points for everything you kill, so killing zombies and BOWs gets points as well as killing the other team. Obviously the tougher the enemy the more points. First match goes by ok, its kind of a free for all as you just shoot everything that moves. Skills can come into play so there is some potential.

On the second match there was some lag, everyone from my team left so I was all alone, I then quit. Next match went well enough though the amount of times you get stuck in an endless animation loop is crazy, someone hits you with a grenade launcher and you are knocked down, as you get up they can do all sorts of things to keep you in animation so you cant do anything. The next match had some bad lag. Slowly the match was getting worse, I couldnt use my grenades anymore. Then I flew through the floor into glitch hell, then it respawned my entire team and our score was reset and finally the game just frooze, I had to turn off the 360. And it stayed off.

Was hoping to come I to the thread and see the complete negative-feedback-opinion-reversal on this game.

Looks like that's not the case, and the game is truly garbage. SMH.

I played 10 minutes of this and hit eject on my 360. I can't even fathom how anyone could play or give this game above a 5. Awful, boring, uninspired, and unpolished.

Top Bottom