• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City |OT| A New Chanllenge by CAPCPOM & SLANT SIX

jmdajr

This campaign sucks on your own and there seems to be nobody online. First boss dude who is chasing you in level one will keep knocking you down without anyone else there to shoot him so it may as well be one hit kills. He's easy to stay away from of course, but still stupid. Team mates also like to run right through fire.

:'(

People can't join once the game starts. So you have to hope there is someone sitting in the lobby waiting to start. I waited a couple minutes on chapter one and then a good ten minutes on chapter two, nobody ever came. I didn't try joining someone else's game cause I wanted to be able to boot people if they skipped the cut scenes since this is my first time through.

EDIT: Just tried joining someone else's game, you can jump in the middle of a game. Which makes it even crazier that nobody joined the entire time I was playing. It doesn't seem like you can search for a certain chapter though. Unless I'm missing something you can only search for a random game. Pretty worthless if you're wanting to play through the actual game.

Aeonin

My brother just bought this and called me about it. I was kinda jealous and wondering if I should get it until I saw that MP view a couple pages back - this game looks terrible.

This could hurt the RE brand and CAPCOM really should've kept this under more surveillance. Hell, I don't think its all Slant Suxs fault though. MT Framework and RE5's already existing design should've been the primary portal for further development.

sleepykyo

People can't join once the game starts. So you have to hope there is someone sitting in the lobby waiting to start. I waited a couple minutes on chapter one and then a good ten minutes on chapter two, nobody ever came. I didn't try joining someone else's game cause I wanted to be able to boot people if they skipped the cut scenes since this is my first time through.
What about in competitive ? 4 v 3 for an entire match would be awful .

aegies

You can join campaign games in progress.

Kusagari

I'm amazed that people are even surprised by this. I've been saying all along, it will sell. If buggy, janky games like Dead Island can sell, than so can this one.

Dead Island was unique in that it was a vaguely open world online zombie game. This looks like a bad L4D in the RE setting....which might explain why it's selling when you think about it.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
LucasArts had various studios working on Battlefront 3. FRD, Rebellion, Slant Six, Spark Unlimited.

Oh, in that case bullet dodged. But I could swear BF3 was totally Pandemic. There's an Alpha of theirs going into space battle out there IIRC.

jtrov

This game is as chaotic as I hoped. Call this my guilty pleasure, but I'm having a lot of fun with ORC. There are some nice touches (Quick Draw for instances is really useful in a gun fight if you unloaded a whole clip), but if they could've just tightened up the controls a bit, it would play much better. The two things that bother me the most is, look sensitivity (can only change aim sensitivity as far as I could see) and sluggish movement. No crouch, or dodge evade mechanic (some flop thing, but no where near a dodge) in a game as hectic as this seems like an oversight as well.

Control issues aside, I'm having a lot of damn fun. Been playing a lot of the objective game modes and I'm really enjoying how bat-shit insane it is. Trying to fend off various BOW's and another faction, while trying to secure an objective is as intense as I had hoped. It may not be the most competitive game, but for me it's a perfect time sink when I'm looking to just have some fun. Also, I'm really enjoying the locals for the maps I have played so far.

The only game mode I haven't enjoyed is Survivor, which is just an absolute mess. The game tells you the chopper only fits so many survivors, however once it's full it just sits there with the flaps open while players are trying to get in, and monsters are just swarming the area. I don't understand why it doesn't take off once it's full, it looks so out of place.

Also, I'm having no shortage of finding players and matches online. Jumped into whatever playlist and I've never sat for longer than maybe 30 seconds. If anything it puts me into my own lobby and then fills up rather quickly. I also like how it keeps you in the same lobby after the match ends, which results in the next match starting rather quickly. Haven't experienced any lag... yet.

Haven't tried the DLC mode yet, and I probably wont purchase it unless I hear good things otherwise.

If anyone on the 360 wants to group together for some MP just let me know. My XBL GT is: jtrov

Chorazin

Hey guys, does this have an online pass? I was thinking of Redboxing it over the weekend, but without online it sounds like that would be a bad idea.

Alfredo

I just hope this isn't a sign of what's to come with Resident Evil 6.

Watching that IGN review, it was mainly just shooting other humans with guns, with maybe a monster here or there. That's so dumb and isn't what Resident Evil should be. I don't play RE games to shoot other humans.

In the trailer for RE6, there were clips of Chris fighting against humans with guns, and I hope to god that is not a large focus of the game.

I mean, yeah, zombie games are tired as crap right now, but that doesn't mean you should replace them with armed human, turning it into a normal squad-based shooter, Capcom!

They should've just made this a Raccoon City-themed Left 4 Dead mod. That would've been better.

dankir

That bad huh? Shame RE:R was great too bad this will tarnish the RE name. I should be a getting a copy soon, will post my impressions shortly.

I just hope this isn't a sign of what's to come with Resident Evil 6.

Watching that IGN review, it was mainly just shooting other humans with guns, with maybe a monster here or there. That's so dumb and isn't what Resident Evil should be. I don't play RE games to shoot other humans.

In the trailer for RE6, there were clips of Chris fighting against humans with guns, and I hope to god that is not a large focus of the game.

I mean, yeah, zombie games are tired as crap right now, but that doesn't mean you should replace them with armed human, turning it into a normal squad-based shooter, Capcom!

They should've just made this a Raccoon City-themed Left 4 Dead mod. That would've been better.

ORC is just a spin-off; that's all it ever was going to be. I really doubt that there will be any influence on RE6. I cannot believe that the critical and fan reception of this game has been THIS negative though. Sucks for Slant Six Games.

kuYuri

Yeah but Dead Island was different in the sense that fps where s was slash or smash. ORC is just another tps with the RE branding.

Well, not counting the light gun games, of course ORC is going to be third person. Resident Evil has always been a TPS of sorts starting with RE4, it's not like magically making it a first person shooter is what makes it sell (see: Syndicate). It's a combination of it being a shooter with online co-op, zombies, and the Resident Evil branding.

Just played my first round. Controls are unresponsive, the game is incredibly dark, shooting is all over the place, animations are stiff and few.

This game is a complete pile of shit. Playboy: The Mansion is a superior game to this.

Vrakanox

Didn't buy it but just curious. Do you unlock stuff in multiplayer as you go, as in, do you get stronger the more you play?

Make it or break it for me, is it anything like Kane & Lynch/K&L2?

The atmosphere, characters and concept allowed me to overlook some flawed controls and gameplay mechanics.

Hoping this is a similar case.

mf.luder

I just rented this for 2 days on 360 from the local store. I'm a little saddened that I didn't rent it for 1. I installed it and played until the guys met up with that doctor and then off. Maybe it's the hardcore KC Call of Duty in my system but pumping 10+ bullets into these enemies was pissing me off.

I wish there was a little more story at the beginning to get me in the mood of the game. I'm a sucker for storyline (AKA <3 MGS). I may give it another go tomorrow.

cvxfreak

My copies should be here at the end of the day... (located in Tokyo).

Pre-ordered the 2 LEs on Amazon with Express shipping.

Make it or break it for me, is it anything like Kane & Lynch/K&L2?

The atmosphere, characters and concept allowed me to overlook some flawed controls and gameplay mechanics.

Hoping this is a similar case.

Fighting zombies is fun, fighting anything else sucks. Humans take too many loads, lickers are all around goofy. Their tongues are annoying as they just grab you and make you shake the joystick to get free. They'll sometimes rapid fire them in weird ways like the game is just skipping animations, I've even had one tongue me with his back to me. They don't even hurt you. Pretty much the only thing that will touch you on normal are soldiers with guns. Repetitive as fuck so far. Only three levels in. I would for sure not be buying this game, rental to the max, especially with how short it supposedly is. Would be fun with other people, but I have still had zero people join while playing or sitting in the lobby.

Ohwiseone

Rented it, Though it was going to be good.

So far, its alright Humans are freaking bullet sponges, AI are stupid (Sure, AI squad guy, stand in front of me while i am trying to shoot a dude)

First Boss is ANNOYING.

So I am down to either stopping this for the night, and going to play Mass Effect 3 to be inevitably disappointed, or play more of this.

I must really hate myself.

Elginer

Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City Impressions:

It's a shooter based in the Resident Evil Universe with some sloppy controls and some of the most asinine design issues I've seen in a third person shooter yet. You'll swear, yell what the fuck at your TV and then be excited by pulling off a cool melee move on a zombie.

ORC is a great concept delivered more sloppily than a case of taco shits. It has some nice visuals, at times and a decent soundtrack and that's what you'll first come to appreciate. Lupo has a nice ass (which I also appreciate) but making 'push stick' the only way to sprint and also pull off a move to back up was a bad choice. Any squadmate can move and dive once sprint is clicked. Lupo for instance though makes a noise like she's ready for a night of loving instead of a night of taking out zombies and cops when you dive. I've only played about an hour or so of the campaign which is more bearable with a friend of random dudebro on LIVE but only just. OK, actually with a couple of beers this could be a great time. It's silly as fuck.

MP is where the game shin--- ok --- it's where it finds some redemption. Each MP mode is pretty damn fun, especially the Spec Ops VS USS mode which sees you trying to not only take out the opposing team but also deal with fucking Tyrants, Lickers, Zombies and other fucking creepy bastards. It's fun and also a clusterfuck of confusion. At times It's so dark that you feel like uttering "I CAN'T SEE SHIT CAP'N!" And you'll end up running like a chicken with your head cut off just shooting whatever the hell comes in your reticule.

The Survivor mode plays like a poor mans L4D which is fun and also hilarious when only 4 people can survive to take that chopper off into the sunset. Don't make it back in time and you'll be left playing zombie grab ass.

In closing, ORC is at times a decent (workable?) TPS with hints of... well more than mediocrity which at times pokes it's head out like a juicy turd waiting to greet a toilet. It's fun with friends, but also frustrating. The hitbox detection at times will make you want to punch someone in the neck and your squads AI is that of a retarded Dodo bird. If you're on the fix if this should be your next 60 dolla purchase, think again. If you're that hard up for losing money, you can donate to my hooker fund.

It's a $20-40 game at best. Again, let me reiterate, the game CAN be and IS fun just make sure you can deal with some frustrating moments and the occasional glitches. Thank god I only paid $40 bucks for, I blame my love for all thing Resident Evil and blind optimism that this could be great. It's at least more entertaining than watch the Kardashians, so yeah... take that for what it's for.

Just beat this on co-op normal.
Had a great time with my friends after we figured out what we were doing.

Verry short, even though we searched every area for collectibles. The Echo 6 stuff should have been included from the start.
Ending spoilers!!
even though the ending situation was dull, having to take out your co-op friends if they made the other choice was awesome.

Haven't tried the other modes but im loving Heroes mode. I raped an entire team using Jill and the flamethrower. Needs Chris DLC now.

Bought the Samurai Edge and its better than any primary lol.

Played a match of survivor, had some fun. Ending was pretty hilarious. I was about to get on the chopper but some asshole snuck up on me and started unloading bullets into me. I fell so he thought he killed me and turned his back to me. I got back up and blasted him away with the twin barrel pointed blank and overkilled him. About to start playing with my friend soon so I say this should only get better. Its pretty fun.

Just beat this on co-op normal.
Had a great time with my friends after we figured out what we were doing.

Verry short, even though we searched every area for collectibles. The Echo 6 stuff should have been included from the start.
Ending spoilers!!
even though the ending situation was dull, having to take out your co-op friends if they made the other choice was awesome.

Haven't tried the other modes but im loving Heroes mode. I raped an entire team using Jill and the flamethrower. Needs Chris DLC now.

Bought the Samurai Edge and its better than any primary lol.

Yea see now I have to buy, FFS

Elginer

Capcom projected this would sell like 3 million copies, right?

Sadly, Ive seen Tumble and Twitter all aflutter with people loving the hell out of this game. It's fun in moderation but HOLY SHIT, they REALLY LOVE IT. Capcom easily sold a mill and some change I'd guess.

Big time buyers remorse. Bought this specifically for Heroes mode and it's been a disappointment. Ugh. I'll give it another go tomorrow but at least I already have a trade in ready to go for the Witcher.

I thought soldiers were sponges, hunters bring it to a whole new level. Finally got two people to join on level six. Thought that would make it better, nope. This game is garbage. Terrible unresponsive controls, terrible frame rate, ugly jaggies everywhere, no story.

Top Bottom