• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City |OT| A New Chanllenge by CAPCPOM & SLANT SIX

bubnbob

Banned
This week is fucking bizarro week. If you told me the next Ninja Gaiden and Resident Evil games will be contenders for worst games of the year, I would have punched you in the throat.

The writing was pretty much on the wall from the start for both... I could have easily told you they would be duds. No itagaki and the developers of Socom... winning combination for both I'm sure.

Really enjoyed this line from the Eurogamer review.

If a mate gets infected in Operation Raccoon City, it often makes more sense to kill and then immediately resurrect them, because they'll respawn almost instantly with full ammo and more health. You'd think it wouldn't be possible to do this mid-fight, but it is. Just a little trick every spec ops soldier should know.

So lazy.

ksdixon

Do we know if the PC version, releasing in May I believe, will have the Nemesis mode which is exclusive to 360 on consoles?

Ooccoo

Bad design meets bad scores? I'm shocked.

Who the fuck thought this was a good idea anyway? Resident Evil is not a multiplayer game. Although I loved Outbreak this game had BOMBA written all over it.

ironcreed

Banned
OK... so is it worth renting if you're only going to play single-player? Or is this a game that needs to be played with friends or it's not worth playing at all?

I don't see how renting it could hurt, regardless. I just want to rent it for a quick play through and be done with it, but am in no hurry to do so. Just rent it for yourself and see if it appeals to you or not.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Who the fuck thought this was a good idea anyway?

Capcom. The company that brought you Western-developed gems like Dark Void, Bionic Commando and Dead Rising 2. Coming soon, DmC.

pje122 said:
OK... so is it worth renting if you're only going to play single-player? Or is this a game that needs to be played with friends or it's not worth playing at all?

Who cares, this is a bad game with many stupid elements and is a waste of time no matter the number of players. Short, dull, brain-dead singleplayer and a clunky, crude multiplayer. Why bother with it at all?

Who the fuck thought this was a good idea anyway? Resident Evil is not a multiplayer game. Although I loved Outbreak this game had BOMBA written all over it.

Looks like Capcom's strategy is paying off tho if the game sells somewhat decent. Who cares about quality when you can outsource it at a lower price within a shorter time frame, and get a decent return? In the meantime, it just serves as a hype train to RE6

The concept of the game was great, it had lot of potential, but the execution is just awful. Poor visuals, bad shooting, no AI, no hit detection, buggy, all kinds of awkward mechanics. The same game done by someone else probably would have been awesome.

Carbonox

Capcom. The company that brought Western-developed gems like, Dark Void, Bionic Commando and Dead Rising 2. Coming soon, DmC.

I enjoyed these. Bionic Commando is criminally underrated. :(

But yes, altogether, Capcom is a clueless shell of its former glory.

Looks like Capcom's strategy is paying off tho if the game sells somewhat decent. Who cares about quality when you can outsource it at a lower price within a shorter time frame, and get a decent return? In the meantime, it just serves as a hype train to RE6

Unless due to the underwhelming RE5 and the piss poor/broken/rip off ORC, Capcom loses a lot of fans and people willing and interested in the series.

I went to a Gamestop Midnight release last night with my brother (bought him Silent Hill HD collection for his birthday) And you couldn't even go inside there were that many people. Talking to a few people and they were all there for Resident Evil. Suprised me that so many people were buying at launch. Im sure there were like 10 people buying Silent hill and Ninja Gaiden 3 combined.

Personally everyone who is debating whether to get this just just wait like I'm doing. This game will be Amazon deal of the day for 40 bucks soon enough. Or with all the bad press it will drop to 40 by next month. Will buy it then or when it gets to 20.

Ra1den

I wonder how many failures it will take for Capcom to stop whoring out their games to the west. They are just fucking clueless.

Unless due to the underwhelming RE5 and the piss poor/broken/rip off ORC, Capcom loses a lot of fans and people willing and interested in the series.

I'm totally with you. We will have to wait for the numbers but if people are buying this game and continue to put up with Capcom's bs, there's little to lose

Kusagari

I went to a Gamestop Midnight release last night with my brother (bought him Silent Hill HD collection for his birthday) And you couldn't even go inside there were that many people. Talking to a few people and they were all there for Resident Evil. Suprised me that so many people were buying at launch. Im sure there were like 10 people buying Silent hill and Ninja Gaiden 3 combined.

Personally everyone who is debating whether to get this just just wait like I'm doing. This game will be Amazon deal of the day for 40 bucks soon enough. Or with all the bad press it will drop to 40 by next month. Will buy it then or when it gets to 20.

I've been hearing this everywhere and it amazes me. At this rate the things going to have great sales and make Capcom want to do more of this crap.

Seventy5

I could give 2 shits what IGN or anyone else thinks.

Picked up and have been playing for little over an hour and i like it, this is why i pay 0 attention to reviews, is it great? no, amazing? no, fun? yes.

Would i suggest people go out and spend $65-75 (depending if you get the SE) if you are a fan of RE and have friends to play with then yes, if not then wait for the $29.99 price drop in the next couple of weeks, i got it because i love RE and regret nothing.
Agreed, I'm having fun with it, but I didn't go in expecting even RE5 quality and I'm ok with that. The shooting is solid, the pace is tense when there's a lot going on and tons of zombies, the voice acting is absolute cheese and the AI is dumb as shit.

Also, I just got to chapter 5, and the notalgia factor is huge on this mission. I got a big ass cheesy grin a couple minutes ago, for reasons I won't spoil.

Just wanted to stop by and say don't sully the name of SOCOM because some hacks at Slant Six (who butchered Confrontation, their only console Socom release) made this game. Which by the way nearly all SOCOM fans were calling this Resident Evil a flop from the moment Slant Six was announced as developer.

Man I wish a legit SOCOM in the vein of 1 or 2 could get made today and show people that it isn't what has been represented on the PS3 and PSP.

I could give 2 shits what IGN or anyone else thinks.

Picked up and have been playing for little over an hour and i like it, this is why i pay 0 attention to reviews, is it great? no, amazing? no, fun? yes.

Would i suggest people go out and spend $65-75 (depending if you get the SE) if you are a fan of RE and have friends to play with then yes, if not then wait for the $29.99 price drop in the next couple of weeks, i got it because i love RE and regret nothing.

So you DO care....

This campaign sucks on your own and there seems to be nobody online. First boss dude who is chasing you in level one will keep knocking you down without anyone else there to shoot him so it may as well be one hit kills. He's easy to stay away from of course, but still stupid. Team mates also like to run right through fire.

pje122

Just wanted to stop by and say don't sully the name of SOCOM because some hacks at Slant Six (who butchered Confrontation, their only console Socom release) made this game. Which by the way nearly all SOCOM fans were calling this Resident Evil a flop from the moment Slant Six was announced as developer.

Man I wish a legit SOCOM in the vein of 1 or 2 could get made today and show people that it isn't what has been represented on the PS3 and PSP.
WRONG

kuYuri

I've been hearing this everywhere and it amazes me. At this rate the things going to have great sales and make Capcom want to do more of this crap.

I'm amazed that people are even surprised by this. I've been saying all along, it will sell. If buggy, janky games like Dead Island can sell, than so can this one.

CTE

I'm amazed that people are even surprised by this. I've been saying all along, it will sell. If buggy, janky games like Dead Island can sell, than so can this one.

Dead Island became great after a few patches(if you like free roam zombie games). This doesn't have that potential.

As a fan of Resident Evil and the Outbreak series... this is just sad. I'm not surprised though.

Now Capcom needs to regain our trust. *waiting for File #3*

sleepykyo

Kind of surprised . I alway knew the developer means less than the brand to the public‚ but I assumed the RE6 announcement would have dampened sales . Between the movies being blockbusters and the spin-offs selling the RE brand looks pretty robust .

pje122

So Confrontation wasn't Slant Six's first and only SOCOM Console release? Zipper made every SOCOM on the PS2 and SOCOM 4

Unless you count PSP games, which I think we all know is a different beast than consoles, especially the PS3.

DOH!
Didn't see you said 'console'...
(Socom Tactical Strike is quite awesome, you should try it...)

sleepykyo

Yeah but Dead Island was different in the sense that fps where s was slash or smash. ORC is just another tps with the RE branding.

Top Bottom