• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil Revelaitons |OT| 3D Jill Sandwiches

Just finished episode 6, phew.

I just want to say that I'm amazed at the creators of the game because for someone like me who's completely new to the game practically (I think I've played maybe 10 minutes of any RE game), I can pick it up and be told a story. Even if I don't have the frame of reference as everyone else does, I can understand the struggle the characters experience etc. It's quite good.

Past Resident Evils are quite bad for this. I started Resi 4 thinking it was all a new world, but ofc very quickly other characters popped up who I didn't really know but Leon ofc did.

With Revelations am amazed at what they've done storywise, I think its a shame reviewers arn't giving Capcom a big thumbs up for how well paced it all is - this is the sort of thing game producers should be winning awards over.

I feel Revelations will go up in peoples minds as time goes on though, and do the opposite of Skyrim and go from middling reviews to being seen as an amazing game, whereas Skyrim went from amazing reviews and player perceptions to some questioning its quality, originality and gameplay (I do love Skyrim though personally).

Least I hope.

kanugo

Man, do I feel stupid right now. It took one hour to get to the Communication Room for the first time.

EDIT: Great, now I don't have the key.

Kerub

Banned
There should be a valve on that side which opens the way to Parker's side. Pulling the switch on that side again closes a vent in another room which leads to the cog and also a valve that shuts all of the vents.

I'm stuck on this part in episode 5. I found the other panel and turned the lever to "A". Can't find this "other room". >.>

Edit - Nevermind! Found a blurry youtube vid that explained it.

jonno394

Just started and playing through the first episode. This + headphones=amazing and terrifying
Every noise has you on edge. I love it, haven't felt like this in a game since RE Zero.

I was so engrossed in a pitch black room with the volume on max that I didn't realise my sister and mom had walked in and were watching me play over my shoulders. When I felt one of them tap me on the shoulder I shat myself!

Episode 7
Parker:
"Rachel? Fuck, do you ever surrender?"
Hahahaha.

BTW You can encounter
Rachel multiple times if you try to find the secret gun kits with the veltro card
There are some secrets rooms you can bypass if you go directly from story to story point and dont investigate the ship during the episodes.
The best secret room is
the pool room, you have to visit it in a episode to clean the polution from the water, and then visit it again in another before the game ends to swim in it

Im loving all this secrets, found the
magnum in one of my incursions with a suicide letter

Data Ghost

Repositioning the way I'm holding the cpp has helped with the thumb strain. Played a couple of chapters and I'm really impressed with the quality and presentation. I personally think some of the reviews were really off the mark.

Think I'm gonna take this game nice and slow and really appreciate every second of it. Couldnt really ask a lot more of the 3DS with this kind of quality following SM3DL and MK7.

teeny

Holy crap, this game.

I love the CCP, but just wished it both looked and felt better.

Ah well. As for the game, loving the episode structure, love the graphics, love everything. This has really raised the bar for shooters on a handheld imo.

Just got to the end of episode three and that felt tense.

Folks over at Gametrailers sound pretty down on this. Although it's worth mentioning that they didn't know that you could switch from third person. At least, it came across that way in Invisible Walls.

There was a little of the 'needs to be on a console' sentiment, too. Oh well.

bitoriginal

Coming at the game from a cynical point of view to begin with has paid off. After 4 episodes, It's ramping up in a good way and it's starting to feel like a decent Resident Evil game. I'm actually surprised how much I'm enjoying it considering my dislike for 5. Cpp is definitely a monstrosity though, I think they could have done alot more with it ergonomically.

Locke_211

I've done probably the first half or so of Episode Three, and the pacing is great. Like, the first chapter of Episode Three is all out shooting like the frenetic bits of 4 and 5, but before and after that there's slow survival horror exploration like in 1-3. It's a great mix! The all out action of 5 is translated remarkably well in the first bit of Episode Three.

Grisby

Folks over at Gametrailers sound pretty down on this. Although it's worth mentioning that they didn't know that you could switch from third person. At least, it came across that way in Invisible Walls.

There was a little of the 'needs to be on a console' sentiment, too. Oh well.
Watched the QL of this from Giant Bomb and Brad seemed a bit unimpressed as well. I wonder if they were started with the RE on the '4' train. I mean, the demo was fantastic and it seems like the game might be a good mix between old school and new school RE.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Sorry if this is a silly question but I just came here after skipping through Giant Bomb's quick look. Does the game always go into first person mode when you aim your gun or is that an option/setting? Is there no 3rd person shooting in the game? Any reason for that change?

Santiako

Sorry if this is a silly question but I just came here after skipping through Giant Bomb's quick look. Does the game always go into first person mode when you aim your gun or is that an option/setting? Is there no 3rd person shooting in the game? Any reason for that change?

You can switch to 3rd person in the options.

Frost_Ace

you can switch in the options.

I haven't read the reviews for this game and have only seen the scores, which makes the game sound not so good. However I've just got to chapter 4 and I like this game way more than Resident Evil 5. (I've only played Resident Evil 4 and 5 in this series.)

What are the reviews saying about the game? What are they not so thrilled about?

I haven't read the reviews for this game and have only seen the scores, which makes the game sound not so good. However I've just got to chapter 4 and I like this game way more than Resident Evil 5. (I've only played Resident Evil 4 and 5 in this series.)

What are the reviews saying about the game? What are they not so thrilled about?

They've basically all forgotten its a fucking handheld, and that Resident Evil 5 is pretty shit.
Also supposedly the story is crap, and sure I haven't finished it but since games are about the experience and the story is great so far - am kinda like 'WTF?'

Seriously no idea the negatives so far! Nig-bits? Sure, but there stupid things like Capcom should redevelop how cameras work in games and allow the touch pad to be in full control (it too quickly switches to big arse angle for me) - but thats niggledy bits.

Just don't understand how some reviewers hit down on it! AT ALL.

Kerub

Banned
Ok, I've been stuck at this for a long time now.

I'm at episode 9,
in the lab when you're supposed to find the passcode. There are poles with lasers between them that you have to walk through to get between two areas. I found the prototype vaccine and put it in the machine but now I don't know what to do and the lasers are blocking the path since I changed them. Can't change them back.

What do?

Saw some people asking how to do a melee finisher earlier. Not sure if anyone answered but from what I can see you need to cripple two of their limbs. Arms are the easiest. They'll flinch once you've crippled one and the limb will go limp.

I'm loving the game. Raid mode seems like it will be very fun. Favourite bit so far is "MAAAAYDAAAAY".

M3d10n

These things automatically get points deducted from any game by "journalists", regardless of the game itself:

- It's not a home console game.
- It's a 3rd party game on a Nintendo system.

I honestly think this is true.

Yeah, watching the QL and listening to IW, it felt as though they were both itching to say something to that effect.

Saw some people asking how to do a melee finisher earlier. Not sure if anyone answered but from what I can see you need to cripple two of their limbs. Arms are the easiest. They'll flinch once you've crippled one and the limb will go limp.

I'm loving the game. Raid mode seems like it will be very fun. Favourite bit so far is "MAAAAYDAAAAY".

Wait whaaaaat?

Ok, I've been stuck at this for a long time now.

I'm at episode 9,
in the lab when you're supposed to find the passcode. There are poles with lasers between them that you have to walk through to get between two areas. I found the prototype vaccine and put it in the machine but now I don't know what to do and the lasers are blocking the path since I changed them. Can't change them back.

What do?

Put your arm into the vaccination machine

mutsu

Stuck at Episode 3. What to do with the boss? I tried exploding the gas tanks and such but the boss just won't die.

Nemesis_

Stuck at Episode 3. What to do with the boss? I tried exploding the gas tanks and such but the boss just won't die.

You just need to keep shooting.

Whoever asked, there are 12 episodes in total (though the final ones do get a bit shorter) and there are 40(?) levels in Raid Mode

Ridley327

You just need to keep shooting.

Whoever asked, there are 12 episodes in total (though the final ones do get a bit shorter) and there are 40(?) levels in Raid Mode

Wow, Raid Mode is even more extensive than they were making it out to be. With the amount of effort they've put into it, I'd have to imagine that RE6 will have it as the default non-story co-op mode.

If you run up and melee him when he's stunned by the tanks then you do a good amount of damage.

I like that you can charge melee attacks as well. Adds a nice risk/reward element if you're surrounded by enemies.

Mafro

Wow, episodes 7 and 8 are intense! And the
swimming
sections are nowhere near as bad as I expected them to be.

5 got better review scores than this game is going to have, and Revelations is 1000 times better than 5, not only that, but its a fucking great resident evil.
People all over the net are loving this game, nearly anybody has the same opinion as the gaming press.
How does this leave reviewers?

Like fucking pathetic idiots.
What are they going to do if RE6 turns to a massive bro shooter like 5? Start pleading for having something like Revelations in home consoles?

It reminds me how Excite Truck got all this shitty reviews and people bought the game, and love every second of it.
Then came Bots and the press was all "the cult game Excite Truck is getting a new game, hooray! We all loved the original!"
Fucking liars.

Bento

5 got better review scores than this game is going to have, and Revelations is 1000 times better than 5, not only that, but its a fucking great resident evil.
People all over the net are loving this game, nearly anybody has the same opinion as the gaming press.
How does this leave reviewers?

Like fucking pathetic idiots.
What are they going to do if RE6 turns to a massive bro shooter like 5? Start pleading for having something like Revelations in home consoles?

It reminds me how Excite Truck got all this shitty reviews and people bought the game, and love every second of it.
Then came Bots and the press was all "the cult game Excite Truck is getting a new game, hooray! We all loved the original!"
Fucking liars.
The game has been getting a good reception and yet you're fuming like the most immature of fanboys, people have differing preferences and using forum sentiments (usually a vocal minority anyways) to try and invalidate the criticism by reviewers is pretty silly.

to try and invalidate the criticism by reviewers is pretty silly.

Except publishers make decisions based on Metacritic averages.

Revelations is the last hope for Resident Evil games in the Survival Horror genre. The stakes are too high to leave the port begging "journalists" unchallenged.

cvxfreak

I'm already on my second playthrough. Playing with Japanese voices and have already noticed a small number of localization inconsistencies.

I like that the ammo and custom parts carry over to the next playthrough, but to compensate for that, the game goes up one difficulty level (I believe it's Hell Mode). Enemies become tougher to kill and increase in number.

wrowa

I'm already on my second playthrough. Playing with Japanese voices and have already noticed a small number of localization inconsistencies.

I like that the ammo and custom parts carry over to the next playthrough, but to compensate for that, the game goes up one difficulty level (I believe it's Hell Mode). Enemies become tougher to kill and increase in number.

I would love to hear what your general impression of the game is.

Bento

Revelations is the last hope for Resident Evil games in the Survival Horror genre. The stakes are too high to leave the port begging "journalists" unchallenged.
He wasn't exactly mentioning the port begging part (I'll go back in the thread and have a look at that), only that a large amount of people on the net are really enjoying the game and therefore journalists look silly for giving the game a lower score than the Internet demands.

He wasn't exactly mentioning the port begging part (I'll go back in the thread and have a look at that), only that a large amount of people on the net are really enjoying the game and therefore journalists look silly for giving the game a lower score than the Internet demands.

I wasnt explictily mentioning, but I was talking about it also, just look at my last line of wanting something like revelations in home consoles
My reply was more about all the press that you really know that were port begging. Like "oh yeah, this is cool, but its on a portable...", not about the press in general, I know they are some good reviews of the game, apart from the couple of bad ones.

All the excuses for ranking the game down have been because of its episodic type of game, and always coming of this, that the game could have been bigger.
People in this thread, the opinions of other forums, friends of mine, nearly all are prasing the episodic gameplay, and even the change of pace from some segments.
Thats why this reminded me of Excite truck.
Are they going to praise RE:R it if RE6 turns to be as bad as 5? Are they going to say then that they love the game now because the majority people will be asking to have something similar as the 3DS game but in home consoles if the RE6 fiasco happens?

If RE:R sells a fucking ton then Capcom will continue to try to replicate the gameplay of revelations. If it doesnt sell that well, the thing they are going to look is the press reviews, this will make them think that people dont really want something like Revelations types of gameplay. RE6 is going to have high marks from most of the press and its going to sell a ton no matter what, if its bad or if its good.
Capcom will then continue what most money and "praise" brings.
Thats the real problem here.

Thanks, this is what I tried to say.

Stuck trying to find a key...

I'm way down low in the boat...Parker and Jill need to both activate a control panel at the same time, but one has no key, so it falls to Jill to find it, and I can't think where. The only possible idea I have is that it is something to do with a cog blockd by steam (I have a place where a cog might fit) but there is currently no way of turning that particular steam flow off, unlike the other two.

cvxfreak

Stuck trying to find a key...

I'm way down low in the boat...Parker and Jill need to both activate a control panel at the same time, but one has no key, so it falls to Jill to find it, and I can't think where. The only possible idea I have is that it is something to do with a cog blockd by steam (I have a place where a cog might fit) but there is currently no way of turning that particular steam flow off, unlike the other two.

Flip the switch on the first side of the room you reach. Then exit and work your way around to the other side (use the map to guide you), where you can flip the other switch. You still need to find the cog, so find the last switch, which I believe is on one of the lower floors, which will remove the steam in another earlier room that was blocking the entrance way to a connected room that contains the cog. Grab the cog, go to where the cog fits and then get the key.

Flip the switch on the first side of the room you reach. Then exit and work your way around to the other side (use the map to guide you), where you can flip the other switch. You still need to find the cog, so find the last switch, which I believe is on one of the lower floors, which will remove the steam in another earlier room that was blocking the entrance way to a connected room that contains the cog. Grab the cog, go to where the cog fits and then get the key.

Thanks! That answers part of the question.

by "one of the lower floors", do you mean in the same vague area as the others, or do I need to backtrack past the control room and head towards the lift? That's all I can think of as I've been in all of the water-logged rooms dozens of times.

Top Bottom