• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil Revelaitons |OT| 3D Jill Sandwiches

I didn't play RE2 in 1998, which probably has a big impact on how I perceive it. CVX was the very first one I played, so that and RE4 will always be special games for me. Totally enjoyed blasting through CVX HD several times last September on the HD twins.

Yeah, when it came out RE2 blew my mind with the multiple scenarios system, but its atmosphere, music, story and bosses are the best in the series for me definitely.

I do love me some CV though. I bought a Dreamcast just to play it and went out of town to buy a copy of the game.

cvxfreak

Yeah, when it came out RE2 blew my mind with the multiple scenarios system, but its atmosphere, music, story and bosses are the best in the series for me definitely.

I do love me some CV though. I bought a Dreamcast just to play it and went out of town to buy a copy of the game.

It's hard to believe REmake and RE2 are merely 4 years apart. RE5 and RE6 will have a similar gap but the change is nowhere near as pronounced.

I also hope we get a Revelations 2 or some other portable RE in the future. I like Revelations' take on the series; different, yet not a spin off. Would be perfect for a game starring Claire.

Reknoc

Man, I got way too happy when I found out this game had themed keys. It's probably the dumbest thing to associate Resident Evil with.

Loving the game so far though. Don't really mind the episodic structure but I'm not really a massive fan of all the swapping between characters. I'm also not finding the combat quite as satisfying as it was in RE4/5.

It's hard to believe REmake and RE2 are merely 4 years apart. RE5 and RE6 will have a similar gap but the change is nowhere near as pronounced.

I also hope we get a Revelations 2 or some other portable RE in the future. I like Revelations' take on the series; different, yet not a spin off. Would be perfect for a game starring Claire.

Claire has been out of the loop for too long. My favorite videogame lady <3

This game will have me rushing to beat FFXIII-2 as it comes out just a week later.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
except RE5?

In isolation, the controls of 4 are unintuitive. But everything in the game is immaculately designed around them and thus they are effective.

5 has a variety of control schemes, all a variation of the aforementioned unintuitive scheme. This lack of focus and the added wrinkle of coop meant that the game was nowhere near as tightly designed. Therefore the controls are less effective.

GeekyDad

Does it control better than RE4? That's all I want to know.

Feels about the same to me, but you do, of course, have the ability to strafe in this game. Knifing is different than RE4, since you're taken out of the close-third-person-aiming perspective.

RE5 is shit compared to RE4.

Come again? Again, they seem mostly the same to me. Not sure what differences you're referring to that would make RE4 that much better than RE5, unless you're referring strictly to the Wii version. If anything, RE5 has a slight edge, as pulling off melees feels more forgiving.

Well, this is very good. Some of the complaints are bizarre; for instance, the episodic nature works fantastically for a handheld game. It's not RE4 in terms of constant threat and great set pieces, but it balances tension and action very well.

It's clearly not the best game in the series, but it's a very good one in its own right, and shows how 'proper' console experiences can be broken down magnificently into handheld friendly offerings.

I will say that I've usually had the 3D turned off other than in cutscenes. It's either too weak that the image quality loss isn't worth it (Normal) or produces too much ghosting from light sources (Strong / Very Strong). Besides, I end up jerking about too much and breaking the immersion during trickier battle sequences.

Does it control better than RE4? That's all I want to know.

You can walk backwards while pumping bullets into mosters walking towards you, that alone makes it infinitely better than RE4/5 in terms of controls.

Besides, I end up jerking about too much and breaking the immersion during trickier battle sequences.
This is the exact reason why I play this and SM3DL with 3D turned off. Its a shame really because I do enjoy 3D effect, but I end up moving the 3DS left and right during intense sequences and it ruins the 3D effect and makes everything shimmer and shift.

daakusedo

The hold part is not good for my heart. I already knew it when it was announced there were underwater sections, and here that's just the beginning with water at half body.
Those fishes are raging and there was a little room when just by going into the water, they jump on you. There's also the random monsters that pop when you're going back in some rooms.
I finish this part with the black and white screen covered with blood and I hope when I play the next chapter it will be back to normal, I have no herbs anymore!!!

More generally about the game, the 6's reviews made me think it was some wheezy iteration of resident evil, but the game is really surprising and ambitious.

More generally about the game, the 6's reviews made me think it was some wheezy iteration of resident evil, but the game is really surprising and ambitious.

Sure reviews can annoy me. But the Revelations reviews actually make me a bit angry, afterall these guys are suppose to be reviewing it for their readers to understand the game. None of them seemed to get it, or represent it as one of the best handheld games ever made (really nothing compares, its unique for a handheld, and unique for a Resident Evil)

I really think the 6/10 reviewers should just be ignored from now on. I certainly will be, they completly misrepresented the finished product - I wouldn't give the game a 10/10 because its got some things that could be better done - but certainly 8/9's are what it deserves.

The story isn't even that bad - in fact its really really good and the episodic format means Capcom tell a really immersive story. Dunno what some reviewers were playing.

Grisby

I was looking on the back page and yeah I agree, they shouldn't have changed Jill's VA again. Damn Capcom and their recasting.

At least Chris sounds like he's going to be 3 for 3. I loved his voice in 5.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Watched the QL of this from Giant Bomb and Brad seemed a bit unimpressed as well. I wonder if they were started with the RE on the '4' train. I mean, the demo was fantastic and it seems like the game might be a good mix between old school and new school RE.

I have yet to play this, (NOA...) but their QL of Amnesia angered me :(

Locke_211

The thing that annoys me about the reviewers is the sense I got that the episodic structure means you explore lots of small environments. Like, as Jill you explore several self-contained small environments that leave you longer for a continuous, sprawling one.

But as it is, you do explore, as Jill, one continuous, sprawling environment that's just like the Mansion. It's just every so often that pauses to go to someone else in a self-contained tiny, linear level. And then you resume Jill's exploration of the one, continuous sprawling level.

Episode 4 was pretty scary!

bitoriginal

Just want to let people know that theres been a couple of instances where I've been half dead, running around with a black and white screen whilst being chased by various monsters and not finding a herb for 5 or 6 rooms. I might just be shit at the game but I'm definitely getting a decent survival to horror ratio. I do feel 'safe' quite alot though, so there isn't a permanent threat feeling. Im enjoying it though.

kunonabi

It will be interesting to see where I rank Revelations when it comes out. If it lives up to the demo I would imagine something like:

RE3
REOutbreak
RE1
REmake
Revelations
RE2/RE0
RE4
RE5
RECV

Just arrived to episode 9.
Since the start of the 40 minutes to 1 hour episodes (i think it was started in episode 4) ive been playing the game and apesode each day.
Feels so good, just as if you were watching a tv series.

NeoRausch

What's the reviewers beef with the episodic nataure of the game? And the Raid-Mode....it's pretty awesome!

Anybody up for a game later? PM, if so i'm about lvl 12

PS: First post on GAF!! WHEEE! Almost didn't hurt. Everything downward from here on. :lol

Revelations over RE2? Hmmmm...

Then again you have CV over RE2 as well so maybe our opinions are just a bit off when it comes to the franchise :p
Well CVX Freak should be a clue of how highly he regards Redient Evil: Code Veronica X in the series. ;)

It will be interesting to see where I rank Revelations when it comes out. If it lives up to the demo I would imagine something like:

RE3
REOutbreak
RE1
REmake
Revelations
RE2/RE0
RE4
RE5
RECV

RE1 above REmake?

Grisby

What's the reviewers beef with the episodic nature of the game? And the Raid-Mode....it's pretty awesome!

Anybody up for a game later? PM, if so I'm about lvl 12

PS: First post on GAF!! WHEEE! Almost didn't hurt. Everything downward from here on. :lol
Well, then let me welcome you my son into the land of honey and rye. Since your posting in a Resident Evil thread I know ya got good taste.

Cool to hear about Raid mode, I'm looking forward to it. My frothing demand for this game increase. The 7th can't come soon enough.

NeoRausch

Well, then let me welcome you my son into the land of honey and rye. Since your posting in a Resident Evil thread I know ya got good taste.

Cool to hear about Raid mode, I'm looking forward to it. My frothing demand for this game increase. The 7th can't come soon enough.

Thanks!

Well Raid-Mode isn't Merc-Mode that's for sure. Merc is more "go for Points"-Arcade Style while Raid is more "short co-op with a rating in the end"-Style.

played a few rounds of solo to lvl up and had a few online matches to get new missions (you play with a random guy online and it will get registered as streetpass and give you a mission ... so you can unlock rare stuff for Raid-Mode.

Pretty addictive.

GeekyDad

Just want to let people know that theres been a couple of instances where I've been half dead, running around with a black and white screen whilst being chased by various monsters and not finding a herb for 5 or 6 rooms. I might just be shit at the game but I'm definitely getting a decent survival to horror ratio. I do feel 'safe' quite alot though, so there isn't a permanent threat feeling. Im enjoying it though.

Just watched the first half of Ep. 1 (gonna try not to spoil any more of it for myself), and man, this actually looks like a game again. RE5 felt so scripted and corralling, it's nice to see I'll actually be "playing" Resident Evil again, rather than it playing me. The story pacing also seems like a throwback to the older games. I'm totally revved at this point.

What's the reviewers beef with the episodic nataure of the game? And the Raid-Mode....it's pretty awesome!

Anybody up for a game later? PM, if so i'm about lvl 12

I like how you think, welcome to gaf!

How long did it take you? How did you play? (backtracking, scanning)

8:05 doing backtracking and scanning every room :)

Bring on your flame shield ;-)

Can't wait to play this, if it also surpasses 4 for me it would rank among one of the best games ever.

Heh, I know it miight sound controversial, but it really never got to me as I expected, and I've finished it on GC, PS2 and Wii. It's a good but a bit overrated game to me.

CoolS

Finished episode 6 and still loving it. The story is still going quite strong so far if you ask me and there's a nice cliffhanger after each episodes and some nice twists during it.

However, this is really getting to me. Just finished another bossfight and I have to take a brake now. I guess I'm just not made for this kind of game :D

NeoRausch

You guys play on easy, or what? I just started episode 9 at 8:27. Maybe i'm just slow....i mean taking my time

EDIT: Also peopple seem to overestimate the play time of older RE-Games. Resident evil always was a pretty short experience.

1. Remake
2. Revelations
3. RE1
4. RE5
5. RECV
6. RE3
7. RE4
8. REUC
9. RE2
10. Gaiden
11. RE0(even though I like Rebecca alot)

Outbreak would be high but never got to play much online.

jonno394

Episode 3 Part 1; my word that was brilliant. I had a feeling how it would play out, so I saved up all the shotgun shells and i'm glad I did!

Big Chungus

1. Remake
2. Revelations
3. RE1
4. RE5
5. RECV
6. RE3
7. RE4
8. REUC
9. RE2
10. Gaiden
11. RE0(even though I like Rebecca alot)

Outbreak would be high but never got to play much online.

Outbreak was so good online.

Reuniting with other players online after 45 minutes was the best experience.

Top Bottom