• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil Revelaitons |OT| 3D Jill Sandwiches

Data Ghost

Havent had time to start the game properly yet but it seems amazing. The CCP is great as it really allows you to swivel the camera to get a good look at your surroundings.

However within 5mins of using it I started to get serious thumb pain due to the position of the second slider:

6775266541_4ab9bbdc3d_b.jpg

As you can see my thumb is crunched up into some sort of hook shape making it painful to use. The second circle pad is too close to the edge of the unit meaning you have to position your thumb in a really awkward way.

Anyone else finding this or am i holding it wrong??

CoolS

Havent had time to start the game properly yet but it seems amazing. The CCP is great as it really allows you to swivel the camera to get a good look at your surroundings.

However within 5mins of using it I started to get serious thumb pain due to the position of the second slider:

As you can see my thumb is crunched up into some sort of hook shape making it painful to use. The second circle pad is too close to the edge of the unit meaning you have to position your thumb in a really awkward way.

I don't have the CCP, but why don't you just lay your thumb flat and stretched out so it is parallel to the unit? right now it you are just touching the pad with the side of your thumb.

The second slider is fucking my thumb up too, it hurts a bit now whilst typing and I stopped playing a couple of hours ago :(
I was trying to lay my thumb flat, so the length of it took up the whole right side beneath the slide pad. This was comfy but then my thumb would arch whenever I hit one of the shoulder buttons. Awkward as hell which is a shame as the CCP does make the game much easier to control.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
I'll try it that way instead, otherwise I'm going to need a thumb transplant when I'm done 8/

your thumb is weak and soft, it lacks discipline,it brings you dishonour call yourself a gamer.... grrrrrrrrr...now drop and give me 20 thumb flexes.

you have a fair complaint, I have yet to try the CPP so I will have to find the best position for my thumb too

for those who have played the game, I have one question:

what kind of mindset do you need to have in order to be a reviewer and proclaim " This game and Cpacom dropped the ball, I give a mediocre 6 as my review score "

Theres a guy here calling the game the worst Resident Evil ever, and that all in the game is horrible.
Im not sure if his a troll or just fucking overreacting.
The episode format, that is the excuse some reviewers are giving it a 6 is complete lunacy. The epsidoe format works not only amazingly well, but is also really well done, and feels just as if you are watching a tv series.
Love the Lost ending sound at the end of every episode when the clifhanger occurs.

Mafro

Just done episode 5.
Love the wacky comedy of those two guys, accompanied by the cheesy music. Not sure what to make of the water enemies so far, it seems you can't shoot them while they are underwater. Pretty creepy though, and bits of this chapter reminded me of the shark bit in Resi 1.And the hunters with the cloaking ability D:

Out of this, Resi 4 and 5, Revelations is definitely closest to the "classic" Resi style. Can't wait till I unlock more raid mode levels.

Locke_211

And the episode system doesn't entirely break up the sense of continuous environments as the reviews imply. As of Episode 2, it seems kind of like following a path through one big environment, which you sometimes end up on the other side of, but with occassional glimpses to what other characters are doing. It's not that much different to the episode structure in 4 and 5 either.

Theres a guy here calling the game the worst Resident Evil ever, and that all in the game is horrible.
Im not sure if his a troll or just fucking overreacting.
The episode format, that is the excuse some reviewers are giving it a 6 is complete lunacy. The epsidoe format works not only amazingly well, but is also really well done, and feels just as if you are watching a tv series.
Love the Lost ending sound at the end of every episode when the clifhanger occurs.

Also I really don't agree about the notion that the episodes off the ship are worse or detrimental to the Experience.

I got to say, I still don't like the CPP at all. It's useless to me and outside of simultaneous strafing it really doesn't add anything substantial to Resis gameplay.

Also I might be the only one that really liked the new characters, especially Parker which reminded me of the legendary Bud Spencer.

I simply start to think that people really get Silent Hill and Resident Evil confused. Revelations is as true to the old Resi games as it gets while being a modern game with good gameplay instead of the horrible controls of the old games. It's not as polished as RE4 but it's a lot more competent than RE5 or RE3

Cwarrior

Does the game look as good as the initial trailers implied it would?

it looks better, even better then the demo that came out a few days ago.

For example the room you start of in the demo looks completely different and the bath room looks a lot better (better water and reflection and lighting).

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Does the game look as good as the initial trailers implied it would?
Demo looks pretty darn good. No trace of the self-shadowing seen in the original sneak peeks, but on the plus side the fps is surprisingly stable, lighting is ace, and AA in 2D mode is great. Overall a deliciously-looking game.

Nemesis_

Pretty sure I'm on the final chapter as we speak.

Game has been great.

It's actually a perfect combination of everything that made Classic RE great with everything that makes the new style great too. It's great how they've PUT THIS TOGETHER INTO ONE AMAZING PACKAGE

Also I really don't agree about the notion that the episodes off the ship are worse or detrimental to the Experience.

I got to say, I still don't like the CPP at all. It's useless to me and outside of simultaneous strafing it really doesn't add anything substantial to Resis gameplay.

Also I might be the only one that really liked the new characters, especially Parker which reminded me of the legendary Bud Spencer.

I simply start to think that people really get Silent Hill and Resident Evil confused. Revelations is as true to the old Resi games as it gets while being a modern game with good gameplay instead of the horrible controls of the old games. It's not as polished as RE4 but it's a lot more competent than RE5 or RE3

I also really like all the new characters. Parker and Jessica are really likable (they also have really good spanish dub actors, that add even more, the spanish dub is top notch for every character), and even team jackass is good for a laugh.
Heck, I even think the story is interesting, its not that the old ones or new were masterpieces in that department.

Lettuce

I dont understand the people who designed this, i mean the 3DS get uncomfortable to hold after 5 minutes just due to where the circle pad and L & R buttons are, this CCP would have been the perfect opportunity to rectify this, they sould of made it in the shape of a 360 pad for example so it fit into your hand better, fair enough this would take away from sliding it into your pocket, but then i doubt you'd fit the 3DS with the CCP fitted into your pocket anyway. Im glad i got a 3rd party game grip for my 3DS make long sessions more bareable

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Are there any Gaf completion times already? If so, please state how you played (scanning everything, only main story, 20hours for raid mode alone etc)

Pretty sure I'm on the final chapter as we speak.

Game has been great.

It's actually a perfect combination of everything that made Classic RE great with everything that makes the new style great too. It's great how they've PUT THIS TOGETHER INTO ONE AMAZING PACKAGE

Yeah, the only thing that fail in this game is enemy design, I will take my sitty majinis with rifles better than this ooze enemies.

The extra stage in raid mode is kicking my ass!, the hardest difficult mode in raid mode is fantastic.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
ok from the demo issues people had, compared to the final product.

things like the laser still shining when enemies died, rubbish audio..etc
whats been fixed or changed?

CoolS

ok from the demo issues people had, compared to the final product.

things like the laser still shining when enemies died, rubbish audio..etc
whats been fixed or changed?

The laser thing is the same from what I experienced. But you get the hang of when the enemies are actually dead.

Can't say anything about the audio since I didn't even realize it was bad in the demo :D

Nemesis_

Just finished. Great game, felt like a proper mainline Resident Evil game.

As for anyone wondering how this leads into RE5...

You see Jill and Chris entering the Spencer Estate, just like Lost In Nightmares / RE5

And maybe RE6:

Not sure how I would feel to see Raymond or Jessica appearing in the future games. I guess I kind of like Jessica but she seems kind of a boring try-hard Ada Wong.

Very predictable in that regard, though to be honest I didn't expect anything major.

I also find it intriguing, regarding Rachel:

That the trailer they produced for her was never actually playable in the game and that she was essentially relegated to a Nemesis type character who consistently chases you (at times). I thought it was weird we didn't get to play her demise. Also that she didn't have a proper "send off" battle

Also, TOSE appears in the credits.

Completion times from me, for those interested. I explored and scanned quite a bit and I tried to backtrack whenever I got a new key to see if I was missing anything. Note that I have not touched Raid Mode once yet, so I think the game itself doesn't track death times if that makes sense.

fSmYcl.jpg

tR1jsl.jpg

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
This game is all sold out here, in the 2nd largest city in Norway. Suggests undershipping to me.

Same for my city in Germany, where I had NEVER a problem getting any game on release day.

olimpia84

I finally decided to download the demo and give it a go (I was trying to avoid it so that the full game would surprise me but I gave in). Graphics looks fantastic and if it's true that the final game looks better then I'm in for a treat. I didn't mind the scanning too much and I can see myself using it a lot to get most of the items possible. The pacing was good although I'm still trying to figure out what is the best way to take out the enemies in order to save ammo.

Overall, fun demo and can't wait for when the game is released here in NA.

M3d10n

Same jaggies in 3D? Or has that improved as well?

The 3DS screen resolution didn't change between the demo and the retail version and the way the AA is done in 2D (it still renders everything twice) means it cannot be used in 3D. So, yes, same jaggies in 3D.

Adr1an

Played the demo several times alreadly, gotta say im very impressed with the graphics capcom where able to get out of this machine. Feb 7 cant get here soon enough.

hitmon

With the price back down to normal, I think I will get it on release day. Good to read about the favorable impressions.

Should be getting this a week on Monday. And after playing Resident Evil Mercenaries 3D I can safely say that there's no need at all for a second stick, the default controls work just fine and having two sticks just wouldn't feel right somehow imo.

Locke_211

Is there are point where you can see a list of chapters with ranks and things like how many of the handprints you found, and can replay any of them in isolation?

Also, the points you get from the grades at the end of each episode - what do you spend them on?

Locke_211

I finally decided to download the demo and give it a go (I was trying to avoid it so that the full game would surprise me but I gave in). Graphics looks fantastic and if it's true that the final game looks better then I'm in for a treat. I didn't mind the scanning too much and I can see myself using it a lot to get most of the items possible. The pacing was good although I'm still trying to figure out what is the best way to take out the enemies in order to save ammo.

Overall, fun demo and can't wait for when the game is released here in NA.

Try not to worry too much about the demo spoiling the game :p

Wow. Is all I can say - and I'm only just starting episode 4.

The episodic structure is great and allows the story to be told in a really brilliant way, it never bogs down the action with long sequences of chat - instead it throws you through time or across the world to see and face it yourself.

The ship is a mix of earlier Resi games and resident evil 4, outside of that its actually very new (anyone else quite excited by Resi6 now they know how Capcom are doing the action stuff?), unlike Resident Evil 5 they haven't just done Resi4 with more shooting and more bright lights - its really tense with hoards of enemies who are often quite agile (dogs AI though is a bit poor, but it has to be I suppose for the gameplay they input, still could have been more thought through).

Loving the story - really exciting to find where this is going. Honestly best game experience I've had on 3ds so far, and possibly could beat games like Advance Wars to my best handheld experiences.

I really really like this game. No idea how it could earn a '6' (not only is it the best shooter on a handheld, its a really well designed and thought out game - something many other developers would NOT do for a handheld - well done Capcom, hope its a big success!)

Undershipping problems sound like an issue, but tbh this is a game that'll have good legs, as a good few first buyers will pick it up. Hope it comes in with strong figures, I know UK Amazon reduced the price to £29 from £31 (stupid in the first place! Psychological reasons a handheld game should be £29 ALWAYS) but thats maybe just them who sold at that rate to begin with.

Am actually irritated at the low marks some are giving this (mind you I'm not through the whole game) - its a great step for handheld gaming, and Resident Evil as a series. This game is on a handheld for ffs. You want handheld gaming to survive, this is the quality we need. /rantover

(rant isn't aimed at anyone on here, I just think some reviewers are being wayy overly critical and slightly snobby when some of their sites gave Resi5 great reviews, and they then make snarky comments about it (looking at you IGN!))

(Edit: On an unrelated note I went to HMV site to check the price, they don't even have a 3ds section under their game departments bit! Just Nintendo ds/dsi - THEY DO HOWEVER have a PSP Vita - fuck me)

Just finished episode 6, phew.

I just want to say that I'm amazed at the creators of the game because for someone like me who's completely new to the game practically (I think I've played maybe 10 minutes of any RE game), I can pick it up and be told a story. Even if I don't have the frame of reference as everyone else does, I can understand the struggle the characters experience etc. It's quite good.

Ken

Still undecided whether or not I should order a CPP. I wish Amazon had it just so I could get release day delivery for it.

Top Bottom