• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil Revelaitons |OT| 3D Jill Sandwiches

cvxfreak

Thanks! That answers part of the question.

by "one of the lower floors", do you mean in the same vague area as the others, or do I need to backtrack past the control room and head towards the lift? That's all I can think of as I've been in all of the water-logged rooms dozens of times.

In the same area... definitely not back towards the lift.

Fuck, I thought that circle pad pro came with the game. That means I'm gonna have to pay 70$ with taxes when all is said and done.

God damn. This game better be damn good.

Yeah, its Michelle Ruff (Rukia in Bleach)
I liked Patricia Ja Lee better.
Michelle Ruff performances come in infinite varieties: bored, wooden, stilted, emotionless, dull, uninterested, monotone, Grocery Store Intercom Lady... the choice is yours! Truly, she is the protege of Wendee Lee.

Anyway. Strongly considering buying this game. I greatly enjoyed REs 4 and 5, the demo was reasonably fun, and Eurogamer was quite emphatically fond of the co-op mode, which sounds highly entertaining.

So? What is EuroGAF's concensus so far?

Michelle Ruff performances come in infinite varieties: bored, wooden, stilted, emotionless, dull, uninterested, monotone, Grocery Store Intercom Lady... the choice is yours! Truly, she is the protege of Wendee Lee.

Anyway. Strongly considering buying this game. I greatly enjoyed REs 4 and 5, the demo was reasonably fun, and Eurogamer was quite emphatically fond of the co-op mode, which sounds highly entertaining.

Isnt also the voice of Yukari from Persona 3?

Was with you (though it fits her characters -Jill) until Wendee Lee she was great as Haruhi, Kaolla Su, Yoruichi and Faye Valentine.
can't hate on this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grAYyjF4S4E
I actually think she could do a good Jill.

I'm sorry, I've never liked Wendee Lee in a role, just found her to be varying degrees of tolerable. Faye was her best performance ever afaik but that isn't saying much. I will say she's better than Michelle Ruff, though.

There's definitely some localization issues with this one in terms of dialogue. RE has always had goofy scripts, but this one just feels... awkward at times. Kind of want to play in Japanese later to check out the differences.

Definitely worth picking up if you're an RE fan. This is good stuff.

There's definitely some localization issues with this one in terms of dialogue. RE has always had goofy scripts, but this one just feels... awkward at times. Kind of want to play in Japanese later to check out the differences.

Wait, JP va is included in the cart?

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Wait, JP va is included in the cart?

Yup, can select English or Japanese voice overs in the options menu. This actually is likely the most customization RE game and is worth checking out the options menu. Can select deeper 3D, change the color of your aiming laser (or even remove it, I think), can change the control scheme or even set it to gyro controls (which are fairly good), change the aiming to first or third person, and select the voice over type and subtitles.

Meh the series voice acting is normally just English focused, so the Japanese in Revelations feels out of place.
Japanese Jill is especially miscast imo.

More miscast than the English actress? She sucks the tension out of every single scene. =/

Worse, English Jill is dull but at least a rough/tough kinda voice. Japanese Jill sounds like an average/feminine voice imo, Satsuki Yukino type would have been better.

French and Japanese Chris aren't too bad though. Roger Craig Smith(Eng Chris) is probably the best VA in the game though.

How's the inventory system in the game? I'm not a big fan of d-pad switching and in the demo I kept hitting wrong buttons while switching between grenades, shotgun and scanner, and that with just 2 weapons. Also is there a weapon upgrade system, and how deep is it?

I'm currently writing up the first part of my review diary, detailing my impressions of the first story playthrough: Quick summary: Not as refined and polished as RE4, but probably the best marriage of the modern gameplay and the gothic/industrial horror atmosphere of the old games. The supporting cast hits all the right tones and is among the best in RE history. Especially Parker is my new favourite as his appearance reminds me a lot of Bud Spencer, one of my childhood movie heroes. Now if only his melee would ram enemies into the ground he would be perfect.
Even Quint and Keith are well made characters, silly and whacky but they still fit into the game rather well and provide some much needed diversion over Jill and Chrises all business approach. I generally like the side episodes off the ship as they not only flesh out the characters, but they also break up the claustrophoby of the ship, and provide for a much nicer pace overall. It's relieving to just go berserk on enemies with lots of Machinegun Ammo after conserving ammo for so long.

If Revelations Campaign is any indication on how (at least the Leon parts) RE6 is going to play, then holy crap, we're in for a nice ride.

Locke_211

Quick and perhaps stupid question. The manual says you can charge up melee attacks, but everytime I try as soon as I press the melee button, the character just attacks. How do you charge them?

GeekyDad

Well, I thoroughly enjoyed the demo. Can't say there was anything in there to show off the supposed scariness of the game, but it definitely does a great job conveying the adventure elements. I think the scanner is a pretty cool addition. I know it can be construed as arbitrary, but it's a video game. Since when do we need shit to be plausible all that time? Controls feel great. I immediately changed the aiming camera to third-person, of course. Like how they mapped weapon selection. The 3D in the demo felt unnecessary but okay. I imagine I won't use it much. Overall, though, I'm definitely more excited for the game after playing the demo.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Well, I thoroughly enjoyed the demo. Can't say there was anything in there to show off the supposed scariness of the game

I liked the demo too.

I've not played much of the Resi games. After room after room of not much happening I must admit that I jolted when
those two things came down from the ceiling in the hallway
. I laughed at myself, it was a classic 'something jumping out at you' tactic, but it worked on me that time :p

Anyway, I am half tempted to pick it up, but I already have a two-game backlog on 3DS. STILL haven't picked up mario kart of super mario 3D land, and I would feel weird picking up Resi without giving them some attention.

Ive heard in some videos the english dub (playing it in spanish)
When they say Previously on... why do all the actors sound so robotic in english?

Hold the melee button

What the :O

GeekyDad

I liked the demo too.

I've not played much of the Resi games. After room after room of not much happening I must admit that I jolted when
those two things came down from the ceiling in the hallway
. I laughed at myself, it was a classic 'something jumping out at you' tactic, but it worked on me that time :p

Ha, yeah, that was a bit of an "oh shit" moment, I admit.

I did think the melee attacks were suspiciously weak.

Note that charging the melee only works when you can see the melee prompt on screen, otherwise you will only perform your standard melee swipe.

They are quite usefull against some of the more agile creatures, especially the swimming ones, as well as the wolves. Once hit, those enmies go into a daze animation and you each time you attack they go into that daze animation again. Just like the dogs in Code Veronica you can simply knife them to death. Once they're on the ground there is no escape as long as you keep meleeing them.

jonno394

Just on Chapter 2, I love the nod to the demo with the

"This is the room I was stuck in" and you can see Parker literally did everything you had to do to get out (ie bathtub draining, fixing the panel...)

Early in my playing of Revelations I did struggle with the controls. The game can be played as a twin-stick shooter, with the right "stick" amounting to your right thumb gliding over part of the 3DS' lower touchscreen. It doesn't work well that way and might better function with the attachment of the optional 3DS Circle Pad Pro add-on.

lol, Is he serious? That doesn't work at all in the demo, not least because it stops controlling the camera once you're aiming.
If he'd said face buttons instead of touchscreen it would make sense. Did anything change in controls between the demo and full game?

lol, Is he serious? That doesn't work at all in the demo, not least because it stops controlling the camera once you're aiming.
If he'd said face buttons instead of touchscreen it would make sense. Did anything change in controls between the demo and full game?

What? He even says it doens't work very well.
You just use the touch to move the camera around - when ur aiming ur looking down the sights (even in third person, I don't expect to be seeing behind me when am aiming forward)

So I don't really know what you mean...

I mean the touch screen camera controls in this game have nothing to do with twin stick shooters.
The game has a proper 'twin stick' option using the 4 face buttons, so it's strange he chose to explain it like that.

Right got you. Hes just explaining his play settings I think (he also says he played first person to shoot).

Mafro

Good question. I like all of them for different reasons because they all have something that sets them apart from another entry in the series.

I think I like Revelations over RE5, RE3, RE2 and RE0.
I definitely prefer it over it over 5. My ranking is probably:

Resi 4
REmake
Revelations
Resi 2
Resi 3
Resi 5
Code Veronica
Resi 1

cvxfreak

I definitely prefer it over it over 5. My ranking is probably:

Resi 4
REmake
Revelations
Resi 2
Resi 3
Resi 5
Code Veronica
Resi 1

At the moment, mine is something like this:

1. RE4
2. REmake
3. CODE: Veronica
4. Revelations
5. RE2
6. RE3
7. RE0
8. RE5

Revelations over RE2? Hmmmm...

Then again you have CV over RE2 as well so maybe our opinions are just a bit off when it comes to the franchise :p

cvxfreak

Revelations over RE2? Hmmmm...

Then again you have CV over RE2 as well so maybe our opinions are just a bit off when it comes to the franchise :p

I didn't play RE2 in 1998, which probably has a big impact on how I perceive it. CVX was the very first one I played, so that and RE4 will always be special games for me. Totally enjoyed blasting through CVX HD several times last September on the HD twins.

Top Bottom