• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil Revelaitons |OT| 3D Jill Sandwiches

jokkir

For Canadians:

Hopefully you preordered your Circle Pad Pro from Gamestop/EB Games. They're raising the price from 20$ to 25$ for, what seems to be, no apparent reason.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Does anyone want to do raid mode level 2 with me?

haven't tryed it online yet.

I do ! Wanted to try it right now anyway (see one post above you). FC?

Mine: 2191-7626-0648

Gambit

I've got the Limited Edition from Zavvi today.

For everyone that got it, I have a question: it's just for me, or the game has 8132 extra booklets in every language possible, except Italian?

Just checked, I don't see an Italian booklet either. Sorry. I'd gladly have sent it to you
it's not as if I could do anything with it anyway

At the moment, I am trying to pace myself to one chapter each evening. We'll see how long that lasts. On to chapter 2 tonight!

Just checked, I don't see an Italian booklet either. Sorry. I'd gladly have sent it to you
it's not as if I could do anything with it anyway

Yeah, it's strange. But I noted now that the cover has the "multi-lingual" purple triangle on the side, but the manual is English-only, with an green triangle on the back. And the game was NOT cellophanated - so maybe originaly there was a bilingual English-Italian booklet, but for some reasons someone (Zavvi? Capcom? Nintendo UK?) replaced it.

I have no fucking idea why they have done this: there is a Spanish-Portuguese booklet in full color in the bundle, so I don't think Capcom gone cheap like in Mercenaries (B/W italian booklet). Another Revelaiton incoming?

delta25

Banned
Okay I will open the gushing floodgates once again:

This game is that good, at this point I dream of a world where RE5 never happened (Don't get me wrong, I liked 5 for what it was, but Revelations is the proof, that 5 wasn't the natural next step after the direction RE4 took. Revelations is!) and this gets the number 5 in the title. Seriously, this is REmake, RE2 and RE4 tier right here! And RE4 is my all time favourite game by a mile, so I wouldn't claim this lightly. Pacing, level design, atmosphere - so far everything is just PERFECT imo. And on top of that comes Raid mode, which might keep us invested for a long time.

me so happy!

/gushing

All I can do at this point is dry hump the hell out of all these positive impressions, and that particular part in bold has me almost at my breaking point, if ya know what I mean.

Thanks man, was it as good for you as it was for me. ;)

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
This game is that good, at this point I dream of a world where RE5 never happened (Don't get me wrong, I liked 5 for what it was, but Revelations is the proof, that 5 wasn't the natural next step after the direction RE4 took. Revelations is!) and this gets the number 5 in the title. Seriously, this is REmake, RE2 and RE4 tier right here! And RE4 is my all time favourite game by a mile, so I wouldn't claim this lightly. Pacing, level design, atmosphere - so far everything is just PERFECT imo. And on top of that comes Raid mode, which might keep us invested for a long time.
How varied are the encounters? From what I've seen, you never encounter more than one or two enemies at a time. That is fitting for RE, I suppose, but I dunno if it's an evolution of the RE4 formula.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
How varied are the encounters? From what I've seen, you never encounter more than one or two enemies at a time. That is fitting for RE, I suppose, but I dunno if it's an evolution of the RE4 formula.

Well normal difficulty mode wont be too mean, but the first boss encounter will throw the boss plus 4-5 other enemies at you for example. Additionally there are other spots where you need to fend off more than 2 creatures on normal. And I think thats going to be rather different on the higher difficulty settings, especially in Raid mode, where 5 enemies at once isnt uncommon on the lowest difficulty.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Well normal difficulty mode wont be too mean, but the first boss encounter will throw the boss plus 4-5 other enemies at you for example. Additionally there are other spots where you need to fend off more than 2 creatures on normal. And I think thats going to be rather different on the higher difficulty settings, especially in Raid mode, where 5 enemies at once isnt uncommon on the lowest difficulty.
I'm not really worried about difficulty, I suppose, rather how those encounters play out.

Is there anything along the lines of RE4 (in terms of scenario design)?

Toma

I'm not really worried about difficulty, I suppose, rather how those encounters play out.

Hm. I think I get what you are saying. Currently only chapter 4, so that might change but I'd say RE:R is more restricted in the way it is using "scenarios" to throw enemies at you. Usually its "enter room, defeat enemies there, defeat respawning enemies, repeat". However some thing are mixed up quite neat.

Early level spoiler:
For example there is one case where you are thrown to the ground of a pit and need to fend off enemies while sitting on the ground. Not the most exciting example but I guess there will be a few more occasions like that

Additionally, I think what you are looking for is a bit restricted here due to the size limitations of the rooms. However there ARE bigger areas and I just had a quite long and nerve wrecking fight with several waves of enemies. But yeah, not much in terms of "Fight set pieces", if you so will. Still a great game though. Not RE4 good, but probably the second best in the series for me.

imo the ship comes close to the village and the castle in RE4 in regard to creating an environment that lets the implemented combat-gameplay shine. And the types of enemies change quite a bit. Mid-game there is an incident that changes the type of enemies and the way they encounter you drastically (I haven't beaten the story yet, so I can't say if there comes more later on).

On the other hand the ship offers a rather memorable environment, that reminds me a lot of the mansion from RE1/REmake. The different areas open up during the playthrough (think Metroid here) in a way that makes it feel like a character on its own (don't know if this sounds strange).

Played Episode 4 yesterday night. Headphone, lights off...

... Rachel scared the hell out of me. That voice. Maybe I've become a wussy, but Revelations made me jump a lot more than Resident Evil 4 for instance.
Not really scary but definitely very creepy
I found yooouuu
, also
Mayday, mayyyy dayyyy
. I really like the atmosphere on the ship.

NeoRausch

So anybody up for Raid-Mode? PM if so.

FC: 4639-8940-9147
Name: NeoRaush

BTW: who do i have to blow to change my name here? My fiance gifted me my account. Super awesome and all but she used my suuuuuper old nickname.

Toma

So anybody up for Raid-Mode? PM if so.

FC: 4639-8940-9147
Name: NeoRaush

BTW: who do i have to blow change my name here? My fiance gifted me my account. Super awesome and all but she used my suuuuuper old nickname.

Not possible. The Admins technically could I guess, but they wont for such a reason. I am still trying to get my email address changed since I cant use it anymore, but EviLore is the only one who possible can do it and ignores me -.-

NeoRausch

Not possible. The Admins technically could I guess, but they wont for such a reason. I am still trying to get my email address changed since I cant use it anymore, but EviLore is the only one who possible can do it and ignores me -.-
Aww man... Ah well then i will stick to this name....have to. :/

Toma

Aww man... Ah well then i will stick to this name....have to. :/

I like it somewhat. Made me remember you somehow, despite being rather short.

Ok, so whats the deal with the circle pad attachment? Is this thing essential?

Not essential, but it offers an additional control scheme that gives more precise controls. Whether you want more precise controls (making the game easier) is yours to decide. I'll get it if you have a 3DS since it seems like many games will support it anyway, and its nice to choose between different control options.

Boney

Banned
Man I'm going vacationing this week and won't be able to pick it up until late Feb, and I'm gonna miss out on all this raiding ;_;

Forever

Banned
Damn, these impressions. I can't resist reading them. Sounds like a real treat.

I think I better stay out of this thread until I've beaten the game here in NA.

Bumhead

Banned
Raid mode is sooooo good.

A little concerned on length though. Looks like there's only 20 individual stages. I take it people are relying on the "Missions" and unlocks for length?

Toma

A little concerned on length though. Looks like there's only 20 individual stages. I take it people are relying on the "Missions" and unlocks for length?

For SP, the missions are making the game longer. The incentive to do missions in MP is basically non existant though, since you get good enough loot as is.

However, it will take you a while until you completed the last mission on the highest setting I guess. I am estimating looking at 50-60 hours of gameplay for myself when all is said and done. (all difficulties in all modes, s-ranking etc)

There also a Bonus stage - basically the challenge to get from one side of the ship to another with very very limited ammo with some of the hardest enemies in multiple numbers.

Lots of fun, and definetly something you'll need to try a good few times. Frustrating as you have to start from the beginning when you die - but am finding the challenge difficult.

Also been playing the harder mode and it adds a lot more to the stages.
Tons of content I'd say.

S1kkZ

how is the framerate? looked pretty bad in some videos.
i want to buy a 3ds for this but i am alergic to sub-30 fps games.

Toma

how is the framerate? looked pretty bad in some videos.
i want to buy a 3ds for this but i am alergic to sub-30 fps games.

Generally stable and very smooth. There are some areas, like the infamous elevator scenes (where you dont play anyway, just wait so it doesnt matter) in every other game too, where you notice that the game is heavily loading the next area and stuttering very much. But other than that its really only an occasional problem and outside of elevators hasnt bothered me at all so far.

Edit: Rose tinted glasses in action, as soon as I said that (and as another poster posted below), I noticed more micro stutterings. My fault. Its not gamebreaking but definitely noticeable when opening doors for example.

I wish I wouldnt have read your complaint... Now I notice it way more often. :(

Top Bottom