• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil Revelaitons |OT| 3D Jill Sandwiches

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Bought it finally! Played the first episode. It's outstanding. With some headphones on, due to the 3D sound, it becomes...magically scary. Amazing graphics, great atmosphere, and at least so far, the story is good.

Great, great!

Gambit

Bought it finally! Played the first episode. It's outstanding. With some headphones on, due to the 3D sound, it becomes...magically scary. Amazing graphics, great atmosphere, and at least so far, the story is good.

Great, great!

Basically I came here to write exactly the same. Got it today and finally played the first episode. It's fantastic. I, for one, LOVE the serialised structure. It fits the handheld format and Resident Evil as a game.

Sorry for the ones still waiting for their order, but at least it's worth it.

Quick question: Does anyone else feel like the Circle Pad is almost "cheating"? In my opinion it makes the game easier. Even less scary because you can look around corners.

Still undecided which way to go forward.

NeoRausch

Basically I came here to write exactly the same. Got it today and finally played the first episode. It's fantastic. I, for one, LOVE the serialised structure. It fits the handheld format and Resident Evil as a game.

Quick question: Does anyone else feel like the Circle Pad is almost "cheating"? In my opinion it makes the game easier. Even less scary because you can look around corners.

cheating? nah, it just plays pretty fluid. Just wait for Hell-Mode then we see if you still think it's cheating ;)

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Just play with some people (friends or random) online and it will give you a mission after you finished your session.
no idea about the second part of your question, never met someone twice till now. and never waited to do a StreetPass-Mission.. GOTTA DO THEM IN TIME! ALL OF THEM!!! Fantastic shit! :)

Thanks for the answer!

Anyone got answers to the bolded questions?

Guys? Its in the manual so I assume its no spoiler, but I got a few questions regarding the missions.

1. Do completed missions carry over to the next game?Once you did a mission, you can "choose" to activate it now and then it will delete itself after a while. So if I want to keep a mission objective for my hard playthrough would I need to keep it unactivated until the hardmode or will I get every mission achievement I unlocked in normal before in Hard too?

2. How do I get online missions? I'll never ever meet someone with Streetpass who has the game and the manual said you can get missions via online play, how does that work? Every player I meet online gives me 1 mission? Or I can meet up with a player 10 times to get 10 missions? Or simply doing raid mode online without another player unlocks new missions?

I've put up Day 2 of my review diary for those interested. This time I detail the Multiplayer mode as well as Controls.

Some excerpts:

I've spent the better part of my 2nd day with Resident Evil Revelations, playing the newly introduced Raid Mode. A Co-op style Multiplayer mode that reuses various stages of the Single Player campaign and allows you to play them alone or with a partner, either local or online.
While all that sounds pretty formulaic, the execution is anything but. You can choose from the various characters from the game, most of them having multiple costumes to unlock and then go hunting. The stages itself are rather short, and can be completed in around 5 to 10 minutes each, but there are a few stages, that will really test the players skills and can take anywhere from 20 minutes upwards. The ghost ship stage in particular will probably be a hard nut to crack for me for quite some time.

The hook to this modes longevity is it's loot based reward system. Similar to dungeon crawler games, you find random weapon and modifier pickups during your plays, that allow you to customize your characters loadout, as well as the playing style that you want to employ. You gain Battle Points which are the equivalent to RPG Experience Points, that you can invest in new upgrades, new weapons or other goodies. Once you've played through all stages on the first difficulty setting, a second and eventually third setting will appear. I've so far put about 6 hours of playtime in this mode and just unlocked the second difficulty, and it really ramps up significantly. Enemies are getting faster, their numbers increase and good weapon drops become less frequent.

I must say that I'm a bit disappointed about the CPP controls. While it does add a nice grip to the console and it allows for constant camera manipulation due to the added analog slide pad, it also fails to provide any sort of meaningful advantage. In fact, the acceleration and speed of the analog aiming seems to be weirdly off when using the CPP. It could be that all those hours playing The Mercenaries 3D might have conditioned me to use the one slide pad solution, but I'm honestly not amazed by what the CPP brings to this game. That being said, it definitely works as advertised, and to those who are used to 3rd person shooters, the CPP will provide a familiar control setup that should allow you to jump right into the game.

Also thanks for the feedback you guys^^ Hope to catch some of you online for some Raid Mode goodness. Hit me up with a PM anytime.

Played just the beginning.
What I got is:
1) Italian dub is quite bad.
2) 3D sound is great.

I changed to english dub immediately. If you arent perfect in english you could keep the italian sub though. I would never play this game in german. Ugh.

Spanish one is really great.
Seems its going to happen like when MGS for psx was released. It had all the european dubs, and they were atrocious. But the spanish on was amazing. The problem was that the rest of the countries were so bad that they decided (instead of doing better quality dub for the rest of the countries) to have the rest of games only with english dub, so the amazing spanish dub had also to go out.

Really, for the love of god, tell your countries they just need to make better videogame dubs, please.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Spanish one is really great.
Seems its going to happen like when MGS for psx was released. It had all the european dubs, and they were atrocious. But the spanish on was amazing. The problem was that the rest of the countries were so bad that they decided (instead of doing better quality dub for the rest of the countries) to have the rest of games only with english dub, so the amazing spanish dub had also to go out.

Really, for the love of god, tell your countries they just need to make better videogame dubs, please.

OT:
I just noticed how much I rely on avatars to recognize posters. It took me a while until I realized who you are because I was staring at the avatar instead of reading the name.

When this game comes out in NA next week, I will play a lot of Raid Mode, so please add me. And I will use the communication shortcuts as well. If you add me, please let me know and I'll add you as well.

Friend Code: 0946-2259-9774

Toma

I've put up Day 2 of my review diary for those interested. This time I detail the Multiplayer mode as well as Controls.

Some excerpts:

Also thanks for the feedback you guys^^ Hope to catch some of you online for some Raid Mode goodness. Hit me up with a PM anytime.

Fairly well written. I tend to disagree on the CCP part though. Ergonomically its not even close to be the most comfortable controller/handheld, but better than the vanilla design. However it DOES provide aiming advantage. The fact that you can aim in more than 8 directions + you can control the speed of the aim movement makes it far superior technically. The only method that offers a similar kind of accuracy is the gyro aiming.

I am not saying the "usual" control methods are bad. I'd enjoy the game with those as well without complaining, but the CCP/Gyro aiming can be way more accurate than the others methods technically are able to be.

We had a Mercenaries 3D friends code thread in the community, so maybe someone could make one for Revelations or repurpose the Mercenaries thread.

New game, new thread please :) Easier to find then as well.

Toma

I'm at the second chapter, is the game going to get better? The first chapter is a bit underwhelming tbh :(

Try looking at some missions to get more incentives (if you are bored currently for example: try stagger/fullmelee hitting 10 enemies), or search out hidden items. Its a big boost to the motivation to look for new weapons/upgrades. And yes, chapter 2 was quite a bit better than chapter 1 already.

Mr Swine

Banned
Try looking at some missions to get more incentives (if you are bored currently for example: try stagger/fullmelee hitting 10 enemies), or search out hidden items. Its a big boost to the motivation to look for new weapons/upgrades. And yes, chapter 2 was quite a bit better than chapter 1 already.

Ok, going to do that :)

Toma

Ok, going to do that :)

Would be interested in knowing whether that makes a difference to you, since I cant be quite objective about a game I like. It would be a good example for a game where achievements add something to the value and gameplay experience instead of being just tacked on bonuses and seductions to make us play a game more than we actually want to. Report back please!

Wasn't your avatar facing the other way?

bitoriginal

Completed it tonight. Steller experience for a handheld title. The length of the game surprised me somewhat, it felt just right, about 12 hours overall to complete the campaign. Combined with Raid mode I feel like the purchase was justified, definitely enough to keep me entertained long past the campaign. There were some really tense moments, balanced with many 'safe' zones. I'd have liked less safe zones really, but considering the episodic nature of the game they actually did well with the whole surivival horror aspect. Story wise the pacing is actually really impressive as well. Overall I'd say the game is a great showcase for what the 3DS is really capable of, and not a bad entry in the Resident Evil series.

NeoRausch

Oh boy, ich just unlocked a
gigantic magnum. Way longer than my arm. LOL Rediculus. Deals almost 12000 DMG.
and it's not even a legandary weapon. Great stuff

Toma

Oh boy, ich just unlocked a
gigantic magnum. Way longer than my arm. LOL Rediculus. Deals almost 12000 DMG.
and it's not even a legandary weapon. Great stuff

Let mich guess... German? ;)

Just bought this off Amazon UK as the circle pad pro bundle Is sold out on zavvi! As they've put the price up (sneaky bastards) I was able to get a competitive deal for each item seperately. I showed the demo to a friend who loves resident evil and he ordered the system and game that evening.. so I'll have someone IRL to play raid mode with as well as you guys or whatever... Can't wait to sink my teeth in. Be swift, delivery people!

Toma

Just finished chapter 3, current game time about 4 hours. Admittedly, I am backtracking quite a bit to upgrade my stuff if possible, but how can some of you guys beat the game at 8 hours WITH a good amount of backtracking?

Also [small boss spoiler]
the first boss was quite tense. i didnt immediately find all the things to blow up next to him and instead pumped all my ammunition into him. That took ages, lol. Tense though.

Guys? Its in the manual so I assume its no spoiler, but I got a few questions regarding the missions.

1. Do completed missions carry over to the next game?Once you did a mission, you can "choose" to activate it now and then it will delete itself after a while. So if I want to keep a mission objective for my hard playthrough would I need to keep it unactivated until the hardmode or will I get every mission achievement I unlocked in normal before in Hard too?

2. How do I get online missions? I'll never ever meet someone with Streetpass who has the game and the manual said you can get missions via online play, how does that work? Every player I meet online gives me 1 mission? Or I can meet up with a player 10 times to get 10 missions? Or simply doing raid mode online without another player unlocks new missions?

Answering my own question #2:
I just played with someone online and you got 2 "missions" for it. Rather generic stuff, dont want to spoil it though. But according to the manual I am hoping for some bit more interesting missions. Still nice to know that playing online got me 2 new missions. Might S rank the Raid levels with some strangers then. Some of the missions you get make it seem like you only get missions from a person once, or only once a day, or only once until you cleared that mission, because.. [spoiling random missions you may get]
One mission I got was saving the dude I just played with online from a raid level. So I assume I need to find him there. Additionally, my other "mission" wasnt even a mission and just a bonus I can take whenever I want (5 shotgun shells, woohoo). Wouldnt make too much sense if you'd get these for every level played with a certain player. I assume there is SOME sort of restriction to it, no idea which exactly though.

Again, all just my guesses. Anyone enlighten me please if I am wrong. And I still want to know about #1.

Help me out with something, here...

If I get the Circle Pad Pro is this compatible? And if so is aiming done on the right analog?

Aiming with the left one is crippling me... I use invert aiming, but somehow it doesn't feel right with the left thumb, and normal aiming feels even worse. Weird, I know... =/

Also, can you aim while you walk with the CPP?

The M.O.B

If I get the Circle Pad Pro is this compatible? And if so is aiming done on the right analog?

Aiming with the left one is crippling me... I use invert aiming, but somehow it doesn't feel right with the left thumb, and normal aiming feels even worse. Weird, I know... =/

Yes

and Yes

They are selling CPP bundles with Revelations I believe.

Gambit

cheating? nah, it just plays pretty fluid. Just wait for Hell-Mode then we see if you still think it's cheating ;)

I can believe one needs it for hell mode! It's just that I assume the game was designed with tank controls in mind. Playing it like a typical shooter gives you more options and, as you said, it does make it more fluid, therefore easier. Anyway, I guess I will try the next chapter with CCpro again.

Wasn't your avatar facing the other way?

Funny you should notice, and you are right. I thought it would be more approriate if Sherlock was facing the text (bubble). At the moment, I am wondering if I should get rid of the black background and only have his profile. I'd have to ask in the avatar thread, though.

Toma

I can believe one needs it for hell mode! It's just that I assume the game was designed with tank controls in mind. Playing it like a typical shooter gives you more options and, as you said, it does make it more fluid, therefore easier. Anyway, I guess I will try the next chapter with CCpro again.

I think people overestimate the advantage of walking while shooting a bit. Of course turning while walking around a corner is useful, but its not like you can dodge enemy attacks while attacking. I have the mindset of "shoot and strafe to avoid incoming attacks", which almost never works. You still need to be able to use the usual RE:R methods of dodging properly and run to appropriate spaces.

Having the CCP is still an advantage of course due to better aiming and the around-corners-looking thing, but its not quite as game breaking as some make it out to be.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
So good. Already begun the Episode 4. It's SO good. I liked even the
part in Terragrigia, pretty cool

Played Episode 4 yesterday night. Headphone, lights off...

... Rachel scared the hell out of me. That voice. Maybe I've become a wussy, but Revelations made me jump a lot more than Resident Evil 4 for instance.

Toma

OMGOMGOGMGOMG
Rachel's "I fooooooooooooooound yooooooooooooou." and "Yoooooooooooou're miiiiiiiiiiiine."

I coulda screamed.

You really should spoiler tag that asap.

Played Episode 4 yesterday night. Headphone, lights off...

... Rachel scared the hell out of me. That voice. Maybe I've become a wussy, but Revelations made me jump a lot more than Resident Evil 4 for instance.

OMGOMGOGMGOMG
... Rachel's "I fooooooooooooooound yooooooooooooou." and "Yoooooooooooou're miiiiiiiiiiiine.
"

I coulda screamed.

Same for me... also..
MAYYYYYYY DAYYYYYYYY..... MAYYYYYYYYYYY DAYYYYYYYY....
When you first go into the area it sounds like a guy.. then you get closer and you start to notice the messed up bit towards the end... then you get closer and you really know that its someone messed up... then you shoot the lock off...

This game has awesome 3d sound.. especially with headphones

Okay I will open the gushing floodgates once again:

This game is that good, at this point I dream of a world where RE5 never happened (Don't get me wrong, I liked 5 for what it was, but Revelations is the proof, that 5 wasn't the natural next step after the direction RE4 took. Revelations is!) and this gets the number 5 in the title. Seriously, this is REmake, RE2 and RE4 tier right here! And RE4 is my all time favourite game by a mile, so I wouldn't claim this lightly. Pacing, level design, atmosphere - so far everything is just PERFECT imo. And on top of that comes Raid mode, which might keep us invested for a long time.

me so happy!

/gushing

For all of you who didn't know it yet:

To select the four messages in Raid Mode, you press up on the DPad and one of the face buttons. You can use this for things like, thanks - GO! - get over here - and wait!

Definetly usefull for some of the more difficult stages like the Ghost ship.

For all of you who didn't know it yet:

To select the four messages in Raid Mode, you press up on the DPad and one of the face buttons. You can use this for things like, thanks - GO! - get over here - and wait!

Definetly usefull for some of the more difficult stages like the Ghost ship.

Have you played as Parker already and tried to thank your partner?

"I will buy you a lunch..."

I laughed hard:D

I use the CCP and aim with the Gyrosensor. I may repeat myself, but people should try it.

I tried playing raid last night solo.. first time, went in and got my ass handed to me by a
fucking giant BOW with the bladelike? arms.. I got owned with my handgun... i loved it though...

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Well Today shall be my first Commute play with the game. lets see if the chapter length is suited :) got about 30 mins to travel

I've got the Limited Edition from Zavvi today.

For everyone that got it, I have a question: it's just for me, or the game has 8132 extra booklets in every language possible, except Italian?

Toma

Woohoo! Excitement! Going to tackle Raid mode level 2 now, and then do level 2 some more with online dudes to get more missions.

Regarding missions [slight random missions spoiler]
I seem to get the same mission from everyone I am doing mission one with. Currently I am assuming you get different missions from the Raid mode level you played on. Will report back after level 2

Top Bottom