• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil Revelaitons |OT| 3D Jill Sandwiches

NeoRausch

That does indeed sound amazing. I love "Hard" modes that actually mix things up instead of just buffing the enemies/nerfing the player.

I'm also wondering if dodging works the same way it did in the demo. Can you dodge any attack (like projectiles or even explosions), or just melee-based ones?
You can dodge pretty much anything, but the timinng is hard to nail. And i'm still trying to figuer out if there is any dodge movement against under water attacks of any kind...besides slowly swimming away while dying.

That does indeed sound amazing. I love "Hard" modes that actually mix things up instead of just buffing the enemies/nerfing the player.

I'm also wondering if dodging works the same way it did in the demo. Can you dodge any attack (like projectiles or even explosions), or just melee-based ones?

Just melee based ones. Projectiles are easy to sidestep though.

I'm not that far in to hell mode, but my inventory was restocked with the normal handgun, which had no attachements and it takes around 15 to 20 bullets to kill a normal Ooze. Even my customized Shotgun M3 took at least 2 shots. And I'm talking about the standard Ooze, not even the much tougher claw hands.

This is going to be one "Hell" of a ride.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Yeah, I think I saw in a video that you have to use the scanner to catch fleeting glimpses of their silhouettes when they submerge underwater, and then they get closer and jump you. :)

I fucking hate those enemies, GAF any way to get them when they are submerged

stupei

Played through the first chapter and about halfway into the second without the circle pad. Found the game early but nowhere had the hardware! Now I'm debating holding off to play anymore until I can get the circle pad on Tuesday. How many GAFers are using it? Is it worth the wait if I have other things I can play in the meantime?

jufonuk

not tag worthy
When your on land: just throw a shocking granad intheir direction. Instantkill!

under water: your fucked, son! Absolutly fucked!

:/

Played through the first chapter and about halfway into the second without the circle pad. Found the game early but nowhere had the hardware! Now I'm debating holding off to play anymore until I can get the circle pad on Tuesday. How many GAFers are using it? Is it worth the wait if I have other things I can play in the meantime?
yes deffinitly get it..I like control option C but the CPP controls just male the game for me

Zomba13

Here is my review of it: http://www.gamesplosions.com/review/hands-on-with-the-circle-pad-pro
That was only after an hour or so with the pad. I got much more used to it by the end (after around 7 hours of the game) but still had a bit of a problem with the right pad. I dunno if it's worth the money though. A quick google says it's around £15 (I guess around $20?). I personally wouldn't pay that price for it unless you plan to make more use of it in future 3DS games or if you really like the game and plan on getting into Raid mode.

OmegaZero

And I'm still trying to figure out if there is any dodge movement against under water attacks of any kind...besides slowly swimming away while dying.

Sounds scary. And frustrating. :b

Just melee based ones. Projectiles are easy to sidestep though.

I'm not that far in to hell mode, but my inventory was restocked with the normal handgun, which had no attachements and it takes around 15 to 20 bullets to kill a normal Ooze. Even my customized Shotgun M3 took at least 2 shots. And I'm talking about the standard Ooze, not even the much tougher claw hands.

This is going to be one "Hell" of a ride.

So even with upgraded weapons, Hell mode won't be cake. Sounds like a blast.
Here's hoping a knife-only run is possible! Even if it takes 30 minutes to kill a boss, I'll be trying it.

I played the first two episodes yesterday. For the first one I used the CPP and I have to say that was borderline unplayable for me. Initially I thought I was just too used to the controls from the demo, but even after 30 minutes of playtime it didn't feel one bit better. My hands started to cramp and hurt, which didn't ever happen when I was playing with the vanilla 3DS. The design of the CPP is just too bulky without adding any grip or other ergonomic comfort whatsoever. I think the L and R buttons are pretty difficult to reach and so is the touchscreen. Aiming with the right stick feels wrong, and while I can't exactly say why that is, I assume it has to do with the crosshair or rather the lack of it. Using traditional TPS dual stick controls with the laser pointer appears somehow conflicting to me. All in all I feel more handicapped than anything else when I use the CPP.

That said, the normal, CPP-less controls still work like a charm. I think this how the game should be played. Being able to comfortably reach the touch screen makes the weapon selection more intuitive, I much prefer just having one pair of homogenous shoulder buttons and the 3DS just rests much nicer in my hands.

So yeah, for now I'm glad I got the CPP essentially for free. I don't want to write it off just yet, but I think a game that is build around the limitations of the 3DS and makes smart use of the touchscreen doesn't need any attachment at all.

As for the game itself, it's amazing. But I already knew that! Can't wait for it get dark so I can play more of it.

Sounds scary. And frustrating. :b

So even with upgraded weapons, Hell mode won't be cake. Sounds like a blast.
Here's hoping a knife-only run is possible! Even if it takes 30 minutes to kill a boss, I'll be trying it.

A knife only run is impossible. Simple as that. 30 minutes won't even get you past the first boss with the knife, aside from the fact that you'd have to evade his instant kill move. His hitpoints are immensely high as it is allready. You would be faster if you'd use a PB Gun than the knife.
Let alone that some of the enemies simply aren't bothered by you knifing them. Later on you'll encounter enemies that are simply too strong to kill or stagger with a knife.
The knife is simply a nice way of saving some bullets once you staggered an enemy or when fighting water based enemies.

But maybe some crazy bastard will find a way to kill the final boss with a knife in under 10 hours.

How can you all have so much problems with the underwater sections? Just swim by those fuckers. I've yet to die once underwater. They can get annoying but are also easily avoided.

As long as there is a water surface you can lose them by diving up, and then submerging again, as the animation will throw them off for a second. Enough to get away.

Cookychan

Banned
How can you all have so much problems with the underwater sections? Just swim by those fuckers. I've yet to die once underwater. They can get annoying but are also easily avoided.

As long as there is a water surface you can lose them by diving up, and then submerging again, as the animation will throw them off for a second. Enough to get away.

... why did I never figure this out shit

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Those motherfuckers slowed me and caused me big problems during chapter 5
and another one, a bit later IIRC
, despite I tried the best to avoid them without using too much grenades.

NeoRausch

PLEASE TELL ME THEY ONLY APPEAR IN CHAPTER 5

CAPPPPPPPPPPPPPCOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM
Bwahahaha!

HAHAHAHAHA!

HAHAHA!

*Sob*

.....AHAHAHAHAHAHA!

NO!

Those motherfuckers slowed me and caused me big problems during chapter 5
and another one, a bit later IIRC
, despite I tried the best to avoid them without using too much grenades.

I never waste grenades for them. If you're in a tight spot or a symetrical area (like the staircases or the engine room) try to get caught at the beginning, so you don't lose your orientation and then swim. It also bundles all enemies on that spot, so that means, you have both behind them.

The important thing is to decide where to swim from the outset. No goofing around or stopping to turn. Decide on a path and keep to it. There are enough air ducts that you can replenish oxygen, and as said before, the submerging and surfacing animation throws the enemies off (similar to the door animation)

When planning your route, know that they are faster than you when catching up, but keep your swimming speed when directly behind you. As long as you mash b, or keep the left pad straight forward they won't get you.

Whenever possible, use doors or a water surface to lose the enemies. Obstacles and corners work just as well, as long as there is still enough distance between you. Once they're too close, your only option is to swim.

If you use grenades, only do it after you've decided on which exit to take. Use the map to determine the general direction, start swimming, use a grenade and then swim.

I'm on the fence buying this game, alongside an 3DS (which is probably my bigger inhibition).
On one hand, I'm starving for a moody horror adventure in the vein of the REmake,
but I'm kinda worried that the chapters done in RE5 fashion might drag down the experience too much for me.
What I couldn't pick out of reviews is, just how much time exactly is spent in those sections compared to the ship?
And do the Jill parts also ever get more action heavy?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I've put over six hours into Raid mode. Got my blue title, moving into Abyss mode. :)

I'm on the fence buying this game, alongside an 3DS (which is probably my bigger inhibition).
On one hand, I'm starving for a moody horror adventure in the vein of the REmake,
but I'm kinda worried that the chapters done in RE5 fashion might drag down the experience too much for me.
What I couldn't pick out of reviews is, just how much time exactly is spent in those sections compared to the ship?
And do the Jill parts also ever get more action heavy?

The side missions are rather short. They serve as mere distractions to break up the mold and to increase tension over certain cliff hangers. I personally enjoyed those segments quite a bit, and on Hell they're definetly very intense and far from being a mere slaughterhouse. Jill's episodes will get more action oriented (allthough not completely) in the last few episodes, but that makes sense since the story ramps up.

The episodes are completely different to what is found in RE5. It's not some arbitrary cut off point, since every episode is structured with it's own mini narrative and objective. The episodic cuts make sense in terms of the games story, unlike the chapters in RE5 which were merely a means to judge your progress and had almost no bearing on the actual narrative.
I've written a fairly long review of the game, going into detail about the games structure and the episodic nature of it. So if you need more insight you can check it out. There are 3 entries, but I guess you're more interested in the first.

I would highly recommend testing the game first, since you're not convinced about buying a 3DS in the first place.

As for myself I can truly recommend the game

I've put over six hours into Raid mode. Got my blue title, moving into Abyss mode. :)

That is fast, I've spent about 15 hours in Raid mode and have still 5 stages on Trench ahead of me... then again, I'm not rushing.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
The names of the difficult modes in Raid are inexcusably awful. How did they not get changed in localization.

Never using Zavvi again.

Dispatched the order supposedly on 26/1/12 (one day before European release).

After 10 days, it's still nowhere to be seen. The person on the phone offered me either a refund, or a replacement order. She said the replacement order would have just as much chance of reaching me as the first.

So I got a refund. Fuck it, in the time it's taken, I'm not actually excited for the game anymore. I'll get it for my birthday and spend the £30 I've been refunded on ME3 Collector's Edition

No, I still want to play it.

But you know when you're really excited for a game you're about to get, and can't wait to play it? That time's pretty much passed. Like I said, I'll still get it later on.

NeoRausch

No, I still want to play it.

But you know when you're really excited for a game you're about to get, and can't wait to play it? That time's pretty much passed. Like I said, I'll still get it later on.
But now you can experience all that excitment...AGAIN!

Could it be any better. And all that thanks to Zavvi!

Luigiv

Thanks for the games that was pretty awesome! And didn't even felt unbalanced despite our level gap.

I'm reposting the FC list:

AndrewDean84xX__________0946 2259 9774
Toma____________________2191 7626 0648
Cwarrior _________________3480 2553 6304
NintendoGal ______________1075 0708 3958
weird____________________4639 8940 9147
boris feinbrand____________2019 9637 7448
jufonuk __________________2277 6685 7486
kamorra _________________2664 2164 4466
AkimbO_Arcana ___________3394 3575 4066
XPE _____________________1504 5776 5139
The perfect Dark___________0559 7475 3457
Phife Dawg________________0173 1278 8671
Nicko ____________________4253 3495 9513
profit ____________________3566 1713 2484

And the chat room Toge created:

Join us GAF, this game is tons of fun coop, if you don't have do deal with randoms.

Ok added everyone on this list and sent them PMs.

My friend is 0173-1316-9263 if anyone else wants to add me. Just send me a PM with your code if you do.

Luigiv____________________0173 1316 9263
slaughterking______________0602 6475 2803

Added Luigiv and myself to the list.

wrowa

Never using Zavvi again.

After 10 days, it's still nowhere to be seen. The person on the phone offered me either a refund, or a replacement order. She said the replacement order would have just as much chance of reaching me as the first.

So I got a refund. Fuck it, in the time it's taken, I'm not actually excited for the game anymore. I'll get it for my birthday and spend the £30 I've been refunded on ME3 Collector's Edition

I really don't understand why so many people simply refuse to understand that you always have to expect a delivery time of 3 weeks when you order from Zavvi. If it arrives sooner than that? Great! But that's simply nothing one should expect.

Mafro

Never using Zavvi again.

It's cool how zavvi don't let you choose any delivery options other than 2nd Class.

Code:
Luigiv____________________0173 1316 9263
slaughterking______________0602 6475 2803
The Evil Ganon_____________3007 8108 3296

Added myself to the list. Added some people too, and will pm them in a minute with my code. :)

I finished the campaign this morning. Clocked in at 9 hours. What an amazing game.
I loved the final chapter and the leading up to the final boss. Those last rooms were so good, especially those with the bodies on the table and the one with the candles and Veltro dude citing Inferno on the background (AWESOME part when you play the game with headphones)

Effect

So what's the general consensus? If you have a 3DS and are at least interested in RE to any degree you should have this game?

Amazon.com is about to ship my copy but still curious. Is this a must buy or at least a serious showcase for the 3DS in the end?

NeoRausch

So what's the general consensus? If you have a 3DS and are at least interested in RE to any degree you should have this game?

Amazon.com is about to ship my copy but still curious. Is this a must buy or at least a serious showcase for the 3DS in the end?
Absolutly. Period!

Top Bottom