• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil Revelaitons |OT| 3D Jill Sandwiches

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
I just started playing this. Can I say the 3D effect in this game is really amazing? Because I'm really loving how well this game does it!

Magnus

Picked this up today but have yet to open it.

How do the controls, visuals and specifically the framerate on this compare to Mercenaries?

Mercs was actually pretty disappointing in the visual department after people were calling it a portable RE5. Once two or three enemies are onscreen there, shit slows down too. So disappointing.

5amshift

Banned
What a failed launch for this game. Got my copy at Toys R Us and it looked like this:

img0451i.jpg

Broken case, half ripped packaging and ripped paper cover. The guy did give it to me for 25% off, so I paid like $25 or something. Plus I got the $10 gift card that came with it. That's not all..

A friend and I went to about 4-5 Gamestops today and no guts were on the shelves. Very weird. Now I'll need to acquire a new case.

Toge

Oh my god, at least you only paid $25 for it.

edit: BTW why wasn't this bundled with the CPP in the US? Mind boggles....

Am I crazy or is there really bad audio lag during cutscenes? Like, the voice will start and it will take a second for the lips to start moving?

It's really bothering me.

kwheaties

Just grabbed the last one at TRU & the guy flat out refused to sell it for less than $49.99. After arguing for a bit i pretty much forced him to check their website. Long story short, i got RE for $29.99 ($10 came off instantly), plus i had another $10 off google offers.

Anyways, what a pain dealing with such an ass!

watershed

Banned
Got it earlier today, its fun so far but the CPP is taking a lot of getting used to. Right now I have aiming speed set to fast, I may try very fast next.

KevinCow

Banned
Fuckin Gamestop. No CCPs. Fortunately the Walmart across the street at least had the game. But I really wanted to play with the CCP.

Grisby

I got the case from best buy. It's an all right case really. It's similar to those SF, Mega Man or Resident Evil cases Capcom sold through their stores. It's a lot thinner and actually better than those thick clear plastic ones.
Well, that's cool then man. I didn't actually see one or hold it. Kinda makes me a lil' bit miffed now that I didn't get one.

Wizpig

Episode 1: "yeah, as i expected, Resident Evil 4 Lite, i hate home console games on a handheld... there's no exploration at all!"

Episode 2: "playing with headphones now, still not that great."

Episode 3: "wait a sec, the exploration feels awesome now, but the game is not scary at all."

Episode 4: "oh shit, ohshitohshitohshit."

Yup, this game is pretty damn awesome alright.
And lag-less Raid is awesome too.
My only complaint is that enemies can't open doors and follow you, basically.

Also, you can't change your file name :'D
Got the bundle, but playing without dual analog. feels better.

Delivery Estimate: Tuesday February 14, 2012 - Saturday February 18, 2012

Man Amazon really sucks sometimes

LOL @ anyone who wants to play this with the frankenstick rather than the super-fast and precise gyro controls

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
The Frankenstick works fantastically. Gyro doesn't work very well when I'm lying in bed. It limits the times I can play the game.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Somewhere, floating in the middle of some ocean, is my Zavvi order.

Wizpig

The Frankenstick works fantastically. Gyro doesn't work very well when I'm lying in bed. It limits the times I can play the game.
While i definitely agree about gyro (not as bad as i initially thought, it's pretty fun in Fox, Mario Kart etc. but still) i could say the same about double analog, it makes the 3DS so... not comfy while playing in bed. D:

To each their own, i feel that playing with default controls limits your visual a little bit and it makes the game scarier.
I tried the circle pad pro, but it feels like i'm playing Gears of War -- i had to buy it for Kid Icarus, but i'm not going to use it in other games, i think.

wrowa

Man Amazon really sucks sometimes

LOL @ anyone who wants to play this with the frankenstick rather than the super-fast and precise gyro controls

Says someone who is still waiting for his copy to arrive. That's a pretty nice LOL in its own right. :p

The CPP is a great piece of plastic. RE:R controls perfectly with it, and compared to the vanilla 3DS it's a pleasure to the hands. It's simply the ultimate way to play it -- especially because you can enable the gyro even in the CPP mode. :p

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
While i definitely agree about gyro (not as bad as i initially thought, it's pretty fun in Fox, Mario Kart etc. but still) i could say the same about double analog, it makes the 3DS so... not comfy while playing in bed. D:

To each their own, i feel that playing with default controls limits your visual a little bit and it makes the game scarier.
I tried the circle pad pro, but it feels like i'm playing Gears of War -- i had to buy it for Kid Icarus, but i'm not going to use it in other games, i think.

I initially had some problems with my grip on the CCP, but I eventually fell into a comfortable position. I've been playing raid mode since finishing the game for just as long, if not longer, than the actual game, so the precise dual analogue move and shoot controls have been invaluable there. I suppose slightly limited movement might make the campaign a bit tenser, but I didn't feel like I lost anything.

90sRobots

I think this game made me realize that I really love scanning in videogames. Metroid Prime 2 and Ghostbusters in particular stand out to me, though the latter is pretty simple and linear (Mass Effect 2 is more of a love-hate; the scanning is tedious yet I can make an hour breeze by doing nothing but scanning).

The scanning in Revelations makes tons of sense, as if the devs knew that using the camera on its own to look for items on the 3DS would have been a pain. The addictive nature of scanning is still present; even though I'm stocked up on herbs and ammo I will still lock on to every item on the ground because, of course, all secrets mus be revealed to me no matter how useless they currently are.

Other than that, good game so far!

Says someone who is still waiting for his copy to arrive. That's a pretty nice LOL in its own right. :p

The CPP is a great piece of plastic. RE:R controls perfectly with it, and compared to the vanilla 3DS it's a pleasure to the hands. It's simply the ultimate way to play it -- especially because you can enable the gyro even in the CPP mode. :p

There's a demo ya know. The gyro controls rival a mouse in terms of speed, accuracy and response time. A thumbstick could never hope to compete.

wrowa

There's a demo ya know. The gyro controls rival a mouse in terms of speed, accuracy and response time. A thumbstick could never hope to compete.

A demo you played with the as of then not yet available CPP? The point is, that your statement was pretty dumb considering you obviously didn't even try it.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
The only problem with Type D controls is that it makes you mash Y instead or RZ. It recaps every other Y function to RZ, I don't know why they left that one there.

oh, ok.

Thanks man.

You can also simply push up on the stick.

Wizpig

I initially had some problems with my grip on the CCP, but I eventually fell into a comfortable position. I've been playing raid mode since finishing the game for just as long, if not longer, than the actual game, so the precise dual analogue move and shoot controls have been invaluable there. I suppose slightly limited movement might make the campaign a bit tenser, but I didn't feel like I lost anything.
Yeah, i will try it again in Raid, could be useful for headshots especially.
Apparently slide pad+B. The timing is pretty finicky though. I find that half of the time I try to dodge an attack I find myself being sucked to death.
You can also try to evade by only moving the slide pad at the right time, without any button.
Just before the attack hits.
I think this game made me realize that I really love scanning in videogames. Metroid Prime 2 and Ghostbusters in particular stand out to me, though the latter is pretty simple and linear (Mass Effect 2 is more of a love-hate; the scanning is tedious yet I can make an hour breeze by doing nothing but scanning).
Scanning also looks awesome in (stereoscopic) 3d!

jufonuk

not tag worthy
on chapter 8 how many more to go?

EDIT: also for anyone who has completed it
please tell me thats the last underwater section of the game??

Not really on topic but I highly recommend the nyko power grip. It just snaps on. BTW it doesn't work how you think it would. It takes up the charging port and keeps your 3ds's original battery charged for about 3-4 hours. I should add that when it is in use your 3DS thinks it is charging so your brightness will always be above the one you have. So for the next 3-4 hours I get 6 brightness.
Sorry I know this is off topic but I just love this thing.
Won't work with cpp of course.

Wizpig

Oh, and the other thing that i still don't like is that i feel like i'm playing as Lara Croft, not Jill. :mad:

Is it that difficult to make her look like she was in REmake or Umbrella Chronicles or, heck, even the RE 5 DLC?

A question for those with the CPP: the thing comes with a wrist strap... anyone actually managed to put that on the 3DS?

MooMoo

You can also simply push up on the stick.

You can also try to evade by only moving the slide pad at the right time, without any button.
Cool :p I could have sworn the game said slide pad+B though lol. Not too far into the game, just passed the demo section, but my only complaints so far are:

1. No lip movement during some of the conversations. To be honest, if I hadn't even messed with the panning camera in the demo I would have never noticed this since you're always looking in third-person/from behind during those segments.
2. There were a couple of times were my screen turned completely black for a split second. Not really sure what was up with that. Hopefully it's not a reoccurring thing.
3. Some of the textures look butt ugly up close :p To be expected I guess.

Other than that, I've pretty much been love with the game since the beginning :D

Wizpig

Yeah, the game says CP+Button, but it works the other way too, sometimes i evaded randomly while pushing the analog.

Agreed on lip movement.

@Rez: my problem is that i can't even put the thing on the 3DS :lol
The wrist strap spot is very small, and the strap fits but then i can't make it go all the way in.
Oh well, not a big deal at all.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Cool. Can you grind them by just repeatedly playing the game, or is it like, if I get an A, I would need to get an S next time to get any more points?

The best way to get Raid Mode points is to play Raid mode missions. I've found simply playing through the levels in order gives you enough.

Top Bottom