• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil Revelaitons |OT| 3D Jill Sandwiches

Vidiot

I'll add everyone to my friend list later after work. Just got my copy from Amazon. When did third party games start coming with club Nintendo codes?! 8O

Looking forward to tonight!
IMAGE_E7E320D9-FBF8-4362-85E2-8293CCEAC8D4.JPG

Well I played for about 3 hours and finished episode 3, really enjoying it so far. It looks stunning for a 3DS game and has the production values of a full console title. The ship makes for a great environment with a surprising amount of variety to the look. The shooting feels great, controls are great, music is fantastic and the atmosphere nails the horror theme.

My one concern right now is with the design of some areas. I am going to be very non specific, but I have no clue how sensitive you guys are about spoilers so I will tag it anyway, that said there are no spoilers:

Lets take the action segments, instead of well designed RE4/5 like areas so far its pretty much been hallways and big open areas where one type of enemy floods in and you just run around in circles and shoot everything. There is no strategy to using the environment , no areas with multiple places to move around to. It is a big step back to what we got used to.

Then there is the more traditional ship sections which is well layed out but I miss the inventory. Having the maze like location but not having to manage items or solve a bunch of puzzles makes the maze feel kind of pointless. So far I have only seen one kind of puzzle repeated three times. Besides keys there are no items that you need to move forward. It kept the adventure game like layout but removed the adventure game elements and I am left fighting enemies in twisting hallways. Its so close, it still feels good just cause of how tense they make it, but it's just one step away from capturing the magic of the originals.

I did fight the first boss and loved it. Now that is a well designed area, I hope the later action segments are designed more like that. Oh and I love having "missions" (achievements) in the game and I like how it catalogs what everything unlocks. I will be sinking a load of time into this game.

Chiggs

Gold Member
This is an amazing game, but I have no idea how some of you are playing it without the Circle Pad Pro.

Lothars

This is an amazing game, but I have no idea how some of you are playing it without the Circle Pad Pro.
The reason I am going to play it without is I saw one today with the Circle Pad Pro and I can't justify the 20 dollars for it.

I might eventually get one but not just for this game.

wrowa

Question.

Let's say I beat this game on Normal, can all my upgraded stuff carry over to Casual and Hell difficulties?

Another question related to that:

Is it actually possible to start a New Game without having to carry over the old weapons? Being fully armed makes the hell mode feel pointless to me.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Anyone waiting to play the game ---- at night? I think it will enhance the experience.
I don't think it would add much. The 3DS uses an LCD screen with a very poor contrast ratio. This was the same issue with PSP and its Silent Hill titles, I thought. LCDs make very poor displays for horror gaming.

This is why OLED is so exciting as it can produce a perfect black.

The CPP is just too large and ugly for me. I can't bring myself to support that abomination.

RE4 was a single stick game (the right stick was virtually useless) so I think I'll be fine.

I don't think it would add much. The 3DS uses an LCD screen with a very poor contrast ratio. This was the same issue with PSP and its Silent Hill titles, I thought. LCDs make very poor displays for horror gaming.

The CPP is just too large and ugly for me. I can't bring myself to support that abomination.

RE4 was a single stick game (the right stick was virtually useless) so I think I'll be fine.

I think he wasn't talking about picture quality. More about the atmosphere of the environment he is playing in. And I would say yes. Same like Alan Wake as an example I never played the story by daylight and it adds a lot of tension here imo. Also headphones!

Az987

all good things
Well I had to go to 3 different Game Stops but I found a circle pad. It's a good thing they are all within 1 mile of each other haha. Now hurry up with my game UPS!

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
smh :/ i should have just bought from amazon

went to toys r us cause they were giving a $10 gift card but the price is still $50 there ,the fuck, i will just go to best buy later then

i want to play now :(

Thats pretty sneaky Toys R Us.... Pretty Sneaky.......

manueldelalas

Time Traveler

In the whole universe there is nothing that is perfect black, not even OLEDs (lol).

zoukka

What does image quality have to do with the scariness of this game? Of course you play horror games at night :)

kunonabi

Picked up Revelations along with Arc Rise Fantasia and a Xenoblade preorder.

Clerk seemed ecstatic that I preordered Xenoblade but irritated that I wouldn't pick up the CC Pro. I'll start on RE tonight when it gets dark out.

Gamestop is doing there "oooh you had to preorder it." bullshit.
angry.gif

I'll go to Kmart tomorrow to see if they have any left.

Got the Nyko Power Grip though.
6 hours with max everything? Sweet.

Yeah for some reason they only had 1 extra copy outside of the preorders at my Gamestop and no extras at another one. It looks like Capcom will be shipping conservatively, surprisingly since they usually channel stuff.

Will start playing soon can't wait.

Picked this game up today.

Passed on the CPP though; Nintendo dropped the ball on that one.

Should work with all games ( at least the triggers) and more been comfortable, just my 2 cents.

I'm about 45 minutes in. This game feels like Resident Evil. The atmosphere in this game is pretty stellar. In the demo, I remember being able to aim my knife strikes. Can you not do so in this game with the CPP? Also, I remember reading about charged melee attacks. How do I do so with the CPP?

Westraid

I just got a trinity bonus in raid???? whats that?

If I'm correct, it's for getting all three bonus objectives that give you extra points.
They're mentioned at the score screen, but I can't recall them exactly. I know one is for perfect accuracy.

hayejin

Picked it up at best buy in the morning b/c I couldn't indefinitely wait for UPS to deliver Amazon order.

So happy and excited I'm playing Reisdent Evil on handheld.

Jill's model looks terrible but dat ass!!

Top Bottom