• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil Revelaitons |OT| 3D Jill Sandwiches

Got it earlier today, its fun so far but the CPP is taking a lot of getting used to. Right now I have aiming speed set to fast, I may try very fast next.

CPP is taking me a while to get used to as well. At first it was just awful, maybe because I've played so much Mercenaries and RE4, but I thought there was no way I was going to be able to play the game while having my right hand away from the buttons so much.

I'm getting more used to it now, and moving and aiming works well. I do have to try and increase the speed though, since when you're out of aiming mode and are just trying to pan the camera around, it can be really slow on the default setting. The other issue I had is that my right hand started cramping up a bit after playing for almost an hour. This may be due to the fact that I'm lying back in bed, holding the system up, but the actual physical comfort of the CPP has been a bit of an issue for me in addition to just getting used to it's placement.

Played through the first episode, which lasted a bit longer than I expected. Really digging the atmosphere so far. Completed my first mission (the hand print one) and finished with an A rank, mostly due to my accuracy.

90sRobots

Scanning also looks awesome in (stereoscopic) 3d!

Am I the only one that walks around the house with this game? I walk around a virtual room scanning and also walk around IRL turning my torso to not lose the 3D effect. Great way to irritate roommates and it serves as another opportunity to quote Ghostbusters.

Effect

Only done the first episode so far (51 minutes) but I'm enjoying it so far. No issue with the controls but going to mess around with the different settings just to see if any of the others feel better. Been scanning everywhere so far and bullets haven't been a problem but then again I'm trying not to waste any ammo. Knowing ahead of time that ammo is going to be low and important has already directly impact how I'm playing which is why it took me so long to clear the first episode. That and I'm taking time to look at the graphics. Was a bit iffy on the purchase. Went to cancel last night at the last minute (tend to do this) but it was to late. Glad I missed my chance, at least I'm glad at the moment.

I do wish Raid Mode was open right from the start but I guess it's good that Capcom wants you to get used to the game and at least some of the areas first.

Davey Cakes

So I got the game today from Amazon. They offered release day delivery, which was nice.

But damn, I got a "Revelaitons" copy. Is everybody getting the misspelling?

Hale-XF11

Wow, the right circle pad sure is awkward! But DAMN, dual analog sticks on a portable is rad. I absolutely love being able to walk in any direction and aim in any direction all at once. I just wonder how long before I cramp up.

That first opening shot in the game where
they're zipling up to the ship looks so awesome in 3D.
That's what taking advantage of stereoscopic 3D is all about for me. I love it.

Wizpig

So I got the game today from Amazon. They offered release day delivery, which was nice.

But damn, I got a "Revelaitons" copy. Is everybody getting the misspelling?
Just noticed the European cover has the drawn logo like on the front cover.

Damn. it.

I wanted the REVELAITONS cover, i even put it on the 3DS as my status. (and my friends will probably think i did the typo)

RoylAsult

im still up in the air about getting this game, i enjoyed the demo but i wasnt a fan of resident evil 5 which is the only RE games i have ever played. Also i am not going to pay 60$ for the game + the dual pro. does the dual pro make it that much better to play? idk what to do especially since i just got the jak collection today.

Just finished the first chapter and holy poop I'm such a pussy. I refuse to move forward!

*sees monster killing random woman*

"Gworl good fucking bye, I'm not going in there."

watershed

Banned
Just experienced horrible slowdown in the elevator and minor slowdown just about every time I pass through a door.

I still haven't adjusted to the CPP. It works great for just running around and moving the camera but for shooting it feels too slow even on the fastest setting. I'm gonna fiddle with it some more.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Just experienced horrible slowdown in the elevator and minor slowdown just about every time I pass through a door.

I still haven't adjusted to the CPP. It works great for just running around and moving the camera but for shooting it feels too slow even on the fastest setting. I'm gonna fiddle with it some more.

I gather that is loading, it is annoying during Raid Mode

Glass Joe

I picked it up from Gamestop and knocked out the first two chapters on Normal difficulty. Some thoughts:

* Best looking 3DS game so far.
* Cutscenes look great, nice production value.
* Feels more like RE4 than 5 did, which is exactly what I wanted.
* Gyro is feeling pretty good when I remember to use it.
* Load times aren't masked well at all, making slowdown more evident than it should be.
* Have not been having much luck with the evade move. I thought running at a zombie and tapping B quickly would get the job done but it seems rarely effective.
* Extra 3D depths look nice but I seem to be experiencing weird double vision at times. Not sure if this is ghosting, but it happens in mostly in dark areas. I have the 3D set to "strong" instead of strongest for now, so it isn't as pronounced.
* Not sure I like that so far I've already maxed out my ammo (or that the max ammo is set so low).
* Felt dumb in episode 2 (which has the demo scene that plays out differently). Wandered aimlessly through completed rooms, looking for a key or card until I wised up and finally
knifed the padlocked door out of frustration

But all in all it feels like a real entry into the series (instead of a typical portable) and I'm liking it a lot. Been playing in a dark room with headphones on and that helps keep things tense.

Definitely severe choppiness in the elevators, wish they would have masked the loading a little better. But, at the same time, nothing really happens in the elevators (at least...not yet), so its not a huge deal.

I'm about half-way through Chapter 3, and I've called it a night. Pretty good so far. The cruise ship has a ton of potential, though to this point, it's still a little too linear for what I want from an RE game. Much like Lost in Nightmares which was very RE For Dummies, there's rarely more than one path to take. Rarely have I seen two doors/routes, where one wasn't obviously blocked.

Pretty much what I expected to this point -- Lost in Nightmares expanded into a full game. Hopefully things become a little less like RE4 and the game ups the complexity a bit. We'll see.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
to anyone that has completed the game
how do you get the shot gun?, it needed someting to be stuck into it..

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I never did manage to explore the pool. I used the thing accidentally right at the start of the game, and then went back pretty much as late as possible and it was still inaccessible. What gives?

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Yeah, about 9 episodes ago. Haha.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck, ohh well next play through then..

EDIT:
speaking of which would 4 weapons slots made the game Better or less of a challenge?

I mean would it move from Survival to a blast-a-thon?

also I miss the merchant....there I said it!!

Matchew

Yeah this game is the real deal, has a real classic resident evil feel to it. Also, the 3D is the best I have seen on the 3DS and the first time I was actually wowed about 3D (have not played Mario 3D Land). The only thing I don't like is the way Jill looks, seriously this does not look like Jill from REmake at all.

I also got the CPP and I love it, nice to hold, and I thought it would be to far from the actual buttons, but it's not. I hope more games use it.

dankir

Started playing this today with the CPP. It's really well done. The CPP is hideous and I can't believe the 2nd pad isn't in lined up with the 1st one the unit doesn't fit flush or anything. But i'll be damned the game feels MUCH better with it.

First true Resident Evil in a long time.

GOOD FUCKING SHIT CAPCOM, REVALAITON INDEED.

01DragonFly

For those that want to buy the CPP but don't want to give their money to gamestop, you can also buy it from the nintendo store (19.99)
store.nintendo.com

Parts and accessories<nintendo 3ds< parts and accessories<circle pad pro

Hale-XF11

After 1.5 hours of playing with the CPP, I didn't cramp up at all, surprisingly. Controls feel pretty good for the most part. Really enjoying this game so far and I can't believe how beautiful it is, especially those caverns.

Jarsonot

Yeah, got this today, through first 2 chapters, almost 3 (grr), and it's awesome.

3D is amazing, graphics are top–notch, and gameplay is great.

Really dig the exploration and scanning.

Obviously I'm not too far in but so far so good!

kunonabi

beat the first three chapters but can't seem to find raid mode.

It is behind RE3, Outbreak, RE1, and the REmake for sure.

I'm liking it more than RE4, RE5, and CV though.

It's in the muddled middle area with RE0 and RE2.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
beat the first three chapters but can't seem to find raid mode.

It is behind RE3, Outbreak, RE1, and the REmake for sure.

I'm liking it more than RE4, RE5, and CV though.

It's in the muddled middle area with RE0 and RE2.

You have to go into missions and claim your rewards.

XxCGSxX

Got this game earlier today and holy shit it's amazing. It's really pretty to look at and REALLY FUN to play. Also got the Circle Pad Pro and I regret making fun of it when it was revealed. It's still ugly and big BUT who cares! it's just a controller attachment, it makes the game soooooo much better with it. Bravo Capcom!!! This is the best Resident Evil I've played since 4. I hope this game sells well at retail because it really deserves it.

Yeah. My best friend works at GS and said that Capcom only gave their store 1. Still, he said that apparently they were of a pretty shitty quality anyways.

Really didn't give a flying fuck about the preorder case, just got to hate on GS in general right now. Went to the gamestop I preordered at, and they told me at that point that if I had wanted a CPP, I would have had to preorder it with the game. In order to get one, I had to drive across town to the other gamestop where someone had cancelled their preorder for the silly accessory.

Pigfuckers. And fuck Nintendo too for making the damn thing a gamestop exclusive.

</rant>

Ohterwise, pretty damn excited to get to start playing the game in a couple of minutes.

This game is awesome, worth every penny. I decided to stop playing once I started hearing
Mayday mayday, emergency across the hallway in a really creapy voice
Gonna call it a night on that part.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Looks like first shipment was pretty small, sales were good and we had a price cut. Should be restocked soon, i guess.

Well, I hope the second shipment is much bigger. I want this to sell the highest numbers of units possible ( hoping for 2 millions WW ) :D

I mean, the fact it could finish first shipmnet ( ah ah) pretty quickly should be good, but if it was not so high, or even low...mmh.

Cookychan

Banned
Was I the only one that thought Jill's wink in the cutscene in Chapter 6 was hot? No? Okay. Otherwise, THAT GODDAMN ELEVATOR DUDE

I am on Episode 7 now and there are some really exciting segments. The bosses have been very well done and are at a good difficulty level. The pacing is great always going from exploration to all out action at the right moment. There is still something off that is keeping me from enjoying this as much as the last two RE games and I think its the combat. RE4/5 make every single bullet count, it makes you think of your positioning and how to fire every shot to stay alive. Enemies react to specific points and you use that to stay alive. This game has tank like enemies, it doesnt matter where you shoot them they keep coming or get knocked back for a moment. There is no strategy, you just pump lead into them until they drop and you just run around in circles while you do it. Its still exciting but not as compelling.

I cannot stress how awesome gyro controls are. There is no need for a second stick, gyro for the win.

Hale-XF11

On Episode 3 now and I gotta say this game sets the bar for visuals on the 3DS. The system pays for it a little bit with those laggy load times, but it's oh so worth it. I can't wait to see what comes out in the next year or so when more publishers release games of this quality.

Neiteio

Miami, there's strategy, and I say that as a huge RE4/RE5 fan. You can shoot the Ooze twice in each arm to make them go into a stun state, at which point you can hold Y to charge and release a melee attack. The way they squrim as they walk makes each encounter tense as they're hard to hit, too. I think the combat in RER works just as well, in its own way. Apples and oranges, really.

I'm five hours in now, at Chapter 4. (Taking my sweet time) It's a FANTASTIC GAME so far. Absolutely loving it. Is there any way to replay chapters, though? I would love to replay the Terragrigia segment with Parker and Jessica again... (I know you can play that level in Raid, but I'd like to do it with all of their banter and such again.)

The "Mayday" boss was incredible, btw. The build-up to it, the backstory with the various notes and diary, and the actual fight itself were all amazing. The creature, Scagdead, looked amazing as well. It's the first boss and the game's off to a strong start. Wow! :)

jufonuk

not tag worthy
So what's the revelation?

Heavy Spoiler
That
Rachael is some kind of monster, she is the lady you see killed in the lab,thrown into the window,set on by two Ooze the reason for her hairstyle is because, she got her eye taken out, she wanted to hide that fact ........

This game is excellent! Easily the most enjoyable RE since 4 and definitely a hint of that old-school horror vibe. I'm loving the ship segments so far. The graphics and music are just on a whole other level when compared with other 3DS games. Incredible.

Cookychan

Banned
YES RACHEL YOU BIG-TITTED HAIR MONSTERED WHORE, I KNOW YOU FOUND ME NOW STOP CHASING ME AROUND

Also, the end scene with Jessica leads me to believe the "Revelation" will be told in later games. (See: RE6 trailer "BECAUSE OF THAT BITCH"

I am on Episode 7 now and there are some really exciting segments. The bosses have been very well done and are at a good difficulty level. The pacing is great always going from exploration to all out action at the right moment. There is still something off that is keeping me from enjoying this as much as the last two RE games and I think its the combat. RE4/5 make every single bullet count, it makes you think of your positioning and how to fire every shot to stay alive. Enemies react to specific points and you use that to stay alive. This game has tank like enemies, it doesnt matter where you shoot them they keep coming or get knocked back for a moment. There is no strategy, you just pump lead into them until they drop and you just run around in circles while you do it. Its still exciting but not as compelling.

I cannot stress how awesome gyro controls are. There is no need for a second stick, gyro for the win.
You can shoot the limbs of oozes to daze them, you can shoot their legs to make them fall to the ground, you can shoot their heads to stagger them, you can shoot other enemies mid-attack to make them fall over etc. It's a bit harder to pull off than the standard *shoot the kneecap, melee* of RE4.

Top Bottom