• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil Revelaitons |OT| 3D Jill Sandwiches

You can shoot the limbs of oozes to daze them, you can shoot their legs to make them fall to the ground, you can shoot their heads to stagger them, you can shoot other enemies mid-attack to make them fall over etc. It's a bit harder to pull off than the standard *shoot the kneecap, melee* of RE4.

There are staggers but its not like RE4. Plus in major action segments there are just too many enemies on screen, taking the time to stun one is not a good strategy, it just becomes about pure crowd control buy unloading with everything you got while running away. RE4 is all about crowd control with strategic shooting and maneuvering. Its still fun but a step backward in the combat department IMO.

olimpia84

Damn, in less than 24 hours this game already ranks 8th in my "Play Time" list. By tomorrow it should already pass my RE Mercs playtime! :O

Taking a break, finished chapter 3 and played one Raid mission. I don't have much of a history with the franchise (my dad played them and I played some of the earlier ones and RE4 and RE5 for a few hours each). Really enjoying the single player, co-op, all around production values, and of course, it looks beautiful. It has me really excited for the 3DS' future.

Ken

Damn, in less than 24 hours this game already ranks 8th in my "Play Time" list. By tomorrow it should already pass my RE Mercs playtime! :O
Mercs is my top played with around 100 hours so I'll be curious as to how many hours I end up with in Rev.

I just had my first taste of raid mode, I just wanted to try it out. OMG, I am going to be in love. Raid mode may end up my favorite thing about the game.

hayejin

What's the tip on first boss?

Can I just bullet spray him (with gas canisters) or do I have to hit the exact spot in his body?

Hylian7

I saw a Youtube video of a certain part:
The "Mayday mayday" part.

I'm fucking sold on this game now, I think I might just go buy it tomorrow. I hope I can find a Revelaitons box.

There are staggers but its not like RE4. Plus in major action segments there are just too many enemies on screen, taking the time to stun one is not a good strategy, it just becomes about pure crowd control buy unloading with everything you got while running away. RE4 is all about crowd control with strategic shooting and maneuvering. Its still fun but a step backward in the combat department IMO.

This is simply not true. Crowd control in this game takes a lot more strategy and environmental awareness than RE4. For one you have to keep more distance as the range of the Ooze is vastly greater than that of a standard ganado. Second, preparing a stun move is critical when dealing with larger crowds. In RE4 it was enough to get a kneeshot, move in and melee since there was no charging time for the melee. In Revelations crowd control is a lot harder and relies on good planning. Melees can be amazingly helpfull when executed efficiently.

It's definetly a change from RE4-5 Mercenaries, but after getting the hang of it, it works just as well, if not better in certain instances, as it isn't a easily exploitable as before.

Glass Joe

Now through 4 episodes, I'm addicted to this game. Boss fights are stressful, lol. I wonder if I was
wasting ammo when shooting that boss as she ran away all the time into the ducts in Ep. 4 or if doing so helped at the end of the fight
?

Wizpig

Now through 4 episodes, I'm addicted to this game. Boss fights are stressful, lol. I wonder if I was
wasting ammo when shooting that boss as she ran away all the time into the ducts in Ep. 4 or if doing so helped at the end of the fight
?
It helped,
because she wouldn't run away if you didn't.

You can also run away and if you get to the last room you meet Parker, then you can do all the previous rooms with him.
Don't know if it's a bug.
My problem with that is that she can't follow you, like all enemies, they can't open doors etc.

olimpia84

Joined a random yesterday to go over Raid Mode. He was level 1 and started in the first chapter and we wound up going over all the chapters up until 7. It was pretty fun, but not as fun as Mercs. I thought it was a bit on the easy side (we beat every stage on our first try and got an S ranking in all of them) although I'm sure later chapters will pick up in difficulty (I'm not sure what level the difficulty was set on, it was chasm which I believe is normal?)

Toge

Thank you akimbo, add your tags here (and a location would be nice for lagless action):

RAID chat:
http://us5.chatzy.com/32578855196823

AndrewDean84xX__________0946 2259 9774
Toma____________________2191 7626 0648
Cwarrior _________________3480 2553 6304
NintendoGal ______________1075 0708 3958
weird____________________4639 8940 9147
boris feinbrand____________2019 9637 7448
jufonuk __________________2277 6685 7486
kamorra _________________2664 2164 4466
AkimbO_Arcana ___________3394 3575 4066
XPE _____________________1504 5776 5139
The perfect Dark___________0559 7475 3457
Phife Dawg________________0173 1278 8671
Nicko ____________________4253 3495 9513
profit ____________________3566 1713 2484
Luigiv____________________0173 1316 9263
slaughterking______________0602 6475 2803
The Evil Ganon ____________3007 8108 3296
Vidiot ____________________0216 0799 8851
Sadist____________________2363 5742 0044
loborzelda ________________2363 5624 2558
Evilcrane _________________2406 5147 3160
ReconPeon________________4682 8480 9046
MiamiWesker______________0731 4748 8002

Joined a random yesterday to go over Raid Mode. He was level 1 and started in the first chapter and we wound up going over all the chapters up until 7. It was pretty fun, but not as fun as Mercs. I thought it was a bit on the easy side (we beat every stage on our first try and got an S ranking in all of them) although I'm sure later chapters will pick up in difficulty (I'm not sure what level the difficulty was set on, it was chasm which I believe is normal?)

Chasm = Easy.

Wait till you unlock the bonus stage. That's where the real party's at.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member

chasm = easy
trench = normal
abyss = hard

For the third time this week: fuck. these. difficulty. level. names.

Anyone in Europe or Japan manage to get a Streetpass hit for this in particular? If so, what was the max amount of hits you could get at a single time? Just wondering

jtrov

I couldn't put this game down last night. I kept saying to myself, "Ok, one more Episode", but the game had me hooked. Often found myself just in awe with how gorgeous this game is (even if their is no mouth animation when they talk). The game just looks so amazing graphically and I'm loving the sound work and music thus far.

For me, Revelations feels like the perfect blend of classic and more recent Resident Evil games. The exploration bits on the ship are just amazing and everything from the exploration, atmosphere, puzzle solving, etc... It all feels very reminiscent of the older games. Even the more action oriented sections have a nice dose of tension that really keeps you on guard. Just so many awesome moments and I'm only about half-way through.

Unlocked Raid Mode, but didn't know "how" to unlock it until I figured it our right before I was done for the night. So I decided to give it a try real quick online and wow, the other guy and I got out asses handed to us. He was level 5, but with me being a level 1 I felt like I was barely doing damage to the monsters in the mission he chose. We got up to a boss room and that's where we met our fate...twice. Loved it though and I can't wait to put many hours into Raid. I feel like I'm going to enjoy this mode a lot more than Mercenaries from what I played.

Toge

Unlocked Raid Mode, but didn't know "how" to unlock it until I figured it our right before I was done for the night. So I decided to give it a try real quick online and wow, the other guy and I got out asses handed to us. He was level 5, but with me being a level 1 I felt like I was barely doing damage to the monsters in the mission he chose. We got up to a boss room and that's where we met our fate...twice. Loved it though and I can't wait to put many hours into Raid. I feel like I'm going to enjoy this mode a lot more than Mercenaries from what I played.

There just something so fulfilling about Raid Mode!!!

SteeloDMZ

Banned
The visuals in this game are stupidly good. The 3D effect is very impressive, but this is one game where I prefer 2D for the extra cleanliness. It runs pretty well too, except for those loading doors and Mass Effect like elevators.

XPE

I think this is going to be one of those games that there is a clear difference between the Reviewers and the Community, Reviewers seem so so on the game yet the Community love it.

I was stuck on the first boss until I figured out a cheeky way of keeping it at bay...

I used all of the cannisters on him, then went back upstairs to the room where you first release him. Wait for him to come in the room, fire off a shot or two then jump out of the window before he gets to you -- unlike the Ooze zombies, he can't climb out of the window, so he goes all the way around via the door, when he reaches you just jump back inside the room and repeat. If you've got a stock of BOW grenades and regular grenades, it'll work even quicker.
This made it a bit easier, but it was still tense as hell. I really regretted how I had my weapon upgrades set up for that section, I've been much more mindful of them since then...

I've since done the second boss and entered the Bilge. If I were off work, I'd probably complete the game in a single sitting, sleep be damned - but alas! Here I am

The game is absolutely amazing by the way. I haven't even touched Raid mode yet. If you're on the fence, get off it..

jtrov

There just something so fulfilling about Raid Mode!!!

Certainly got that feeling when I tried it. With only so much ammo around us there was such a strong feeling of hopelessness as we were just surrounded by incoming waves and a very persistent boss. I can see it becoming very fulfilling, by not only completing it, but also being able to keep all your spoils. We had some nice drops in the game I played, so it hurt losing out on them in the end.

Quick question about ammo in Raid Mode: Is it always available for both players? I noticed that even though I picked up an ammo crate, my partner was able to pick it up as well.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Anyone else absolutely floored by the visuals in this game? In general, I haven't been all that impressed with the visuals produced by your average 3DS title. Mario was lovely, of course, but most games gave me the impression of a super charged PSP.

Revelations, though? Absolutely incredible. This is a game that would not look out of place on PS3 or 360 (at least with a few minor improvements).

The lighting, shader usage, animation, etc. are all top notch. It FEELS solid and looks like a very recent game. Honestly, I can't think of any game on the Wii with such elaborate shader work. The fact that it sports AA in 2D mode is a cherry on top.

The only disappointment I have is the fact that all of the cutscenes are simply video clips. I was really hoping they would take the realtime route. I also noticed that, while playing, character mouths are not animated at all.

Still, the overall visual package is outstanding and suggests the 3DS to be more capable than I had expected. Great to see!

it's just... god it's so good.

I lol'd hard at the memo about the
green herbs that grow exclusively in the Arklay Mountains
. those witty bastards.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Anyone else absolutely floored by the visuals in this game? In general, I haven't been all that impressed with the visuals produced by your average 3DS title. Mario was lovely, of course, but most games gave me the impression of a super charged PSP.

Revelations, though? Absolutely incredible. This is a game that would not look out of place on PS3 or 360 (at least with a few minor improvements).

The lighting, shader usage, animation, etc. are all top notch. It FEELS solid and looks like a very recent game. Honestly, I can't think of any game on the Wii with such elaborate shader work. The fact that it sports AA in 2D mode is a cherry on top.

The only disappointment I have is the fact that all of the cutscenes are simply video clips. I was really hoping they would take the realtime route. I also noticed that, while playing, character mouths are not animated at all.

Still, the overall visual package is outstanding and suggests the 3DS to be more capable than I had expected. Great to see!

Have you been reading the thread?

jtrov

Thank you akimbo, add your tags here (and a location would be nice for lagless action):

RAID chat:
http://us5.chatzy.com/32578855196823

AndrewDean84xX__________0946 2259 9774
Toma____________________2191 7626 0648
Cwarrior _________________3480 2553 6304
NintendoGal ______________1075 0708 3958
weird____________________4639 8940 9147
boris feinbrand____________2019 9637 7448
jufonuk __________________2277 6685 7486
kamorra _________________2664 2164 4466
AkimbO_Arcana ___________3394 3575 4066
XPE _____________________1504 5776 5139
The perfect Dark___________0559 7475 3457
Phife Dawg________________0173 1278 8671
Nicko ____________________4253 3495 9513
profit ____________________3566 1713 2484
Luigiv____________________0173 1316 9263
slaughterking______________0602 6475 2803
The Evil Ganon ____________3007 8108 3296
Vidiot ____________________0216 0799 8851
Sadist____________________2363 5742 0044
loborzelda ________________2363 5624 2558
Evilcrane _________________2406 5147 3160
ReconPeon________________4682 8480 9046
MiamiWesker______________0731 4748 8002
jtrov_____________________2363-6212-8253

Just added myself to the list. Also added everyone listed to my 3DS. Look forward to doing some Raid Mode runs.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
I'm really liking the structure of the game too. One chapter action focused, the other story focused, the other exploration like old RE focused. Capcom is onto something with Revelations.

Hale-XF11

When walking through the caverns, it felt like I was looking at a portable version of Skyrim, complete with light shafts, blowing wind and particles everywhere. I couldn't believe how beautiful the surroundings looked.

Also, the cut-scenes aren't truly stereoscopic 3D, as the characters aren't dimensional, but rather cardboard cutouts surrounded by 3D environments. No complaints though. Still looks great.

wrowa

My only gripe with the cutscenes is that the colors are off compared to the in-game graphics. That really annoyed me and made the cutscenes feel a little cheap.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
My only gripe with the cutscenes is that the colors are off compared to the in-game graphics. That really annoyed me and made the cutscenes feel a little cheap.

I feel that's a problem than almost every game I've played recently has.

Gears 3, Alan Wake, etc.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I feel that's a problem than almost every game I've played recently has.

Gears 3, Alan Wake, etc.
It's definitely NOT a problem with all games, but it is frustrating when it occurs.

In the case of RE:R they basically jacked up the gamma which results in washed out colors.

Top Bottom