• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil Revelaitons |OT| 3D Jill Sandwiches

so does the game have perks/upgrades if you play only campaign mode?

the manual makes it sounds like its Raid mode only for the perks/upgrades.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Certainly got that feeling when I tried it. With only so much ammo around us there was such a strong feeling of hopelessness as we were just surrounded by incoming waves and a very persistent boss. I can see it becoming very fulfilling, by not only completing it, but also being able to keep all your spoils. We had some nice drops in the game I played, so it hurt losing out on them in the end.

Quick question about ammo in Raid Mode: Is it always available for both players? I noticed that even though I picked up an ammo crate, my partner was able to pick it up as well

yes it seems you have seperate instances of Ammo, when I pick something up the crate dissapears, my partner picked it up later even though from my PoV it wasn't there...

just wish you could follow your partner through the door at the same time.. that split second to get in on the action interupts the flow(ever so slightly), imo, I mean when things hot up you have to play cavalry, not storming in together...random nitpick not saying it breaks the game at all just changes the flow.

The lighting, shader usage, animation, etc. are all top notch. It FEELS solid and looks like a very recent game. Honestly, I can't think of any game on the Wii with such elaborate shader work. The fact that it sports AA in 2D mode is a cherry on top.

The only disappointment I have is the fact that all of the cutscenes are simply video clips. I was really hoping they would take the realtime route. I also noticed that, while playing, character mouths are not animated at all.

Still, the overall visual package is outstanding and suggests the 3DS to be more capable than I had expected. Great to see!

The shader work on metallic and shiny / rubbery surfaces is gorgeous - it seems to be something the PICA must be natively quite good at... also the volumetric fogging effects etc.

The walls and windows in the building
inside Terragrigia
have a sheen and reflectivity that really give the place a modern and realistic feel. I loved the big hall on the Zenobia too, where the entrance to the Promenade Deck / Comms room etc is.

In the room where you first find
Rachel
, equip your sniper rifle and check out the oxygen cannister
next to her body
-- there is air / gas escaping from it and lightly billowing down the sides of the cannister. When they've bothered to do even little touches like that, it just helps immerse you all the more. Not just great use of effects, but great design work.

There is some nice lighting work on Jill's bodysuit too, there was one point where I just stood near this red light thing, observing how her suit was reflecting that specific light source on one side of her, with the more global light sources affecting everything else. Looks really nice. I want more capgod games on this thing.

I'm not usually one for gushing about graphics -- but they are great. The biggest bonus for me is that the gameplay is great too -- the return to RE staples (keys with emblems, puzzles, exploration) combined with the newer gameplay experimentation (episodic nature, control of many characters, more modern RE style action segments)... its just been a really fun ride so far. And I said this in an earlier post, but the sound design is fantastic. There are a lot of people here who've already pointed out some of the creepier audio moments... that is a really genius part of this game that I haven't seen reflected enough in reviews. (Boss spoilers) "
Maydayyyy
" and "
I found you
" are already classic soundbytes to my mind now... when I remember this game, it's moments like those that I'll remember.

I hope Raid mode is something Capcom wants to expand in the future. DLC for Revelations would be pretty rad, but that's certainly not going to happen. But maybe Raccoon City can scratch that itch.

01DragonFly

added my name to the list

RAID chat:
http://us5.chatzy.com/32578855196823

AndrewDean84xX__________0946 2259 9774
Toma____________________2191 7626 0648
Cwarrior _________________3480 2553 6304
NintendoGal ______________1075 0708 3958
weird____________________4639 8940 9147
boris feinbrand____________2019 9637 7448
jufonuk __________________2277 6685 7486
kamorra _________________2664 2164 4466
AkimbO_Arcana ___________3394 3575 4066
XPE _____________________1504 5776 5139
The perfect Dark___________0559 7475 3457
Phife Dawg________________0173 1278 8671
Nicko ____________________4253 3495 9513
profit ____________________3566 1713 2484
Luigiv____________________0173 1316 9263
slaughterking______________0602 6475 2803
The Evil Ganon ____________3007 8108 3296
Vidiot ____________________0216 0799 8851
Sadist____________________2363 5742 0044
loborzelda ________________2363 5624 2558
Evilcrane _________________2406 5147 3160
ReconPeon________________4682 8480 9046
MiamiWesker______________0731 4748 8002
jtrov_____________________2363-6212-8253
01DragonFly_______________2492-4132-9240

Ken

Added myself.

RAID chat:

Ken_______________________3780-9033-8017

Will add everyone in a few hours.

Sinthetic

The shader work on metallic and shiny / rubbery surfaces is gorgeous - it seems to be something the PICA must be natively quite good at... also the volumetric fogging effects etc.

The walls and windows in the building
inside Terragrigia
have a sheen and reflectivity that really give the place a modern and realistic feel. I loved the big hall on the Zenobia too, where the entrance to the Promenade Deck / Comms room etc is.

In the room where you first find
Rachel
, equip your sniper rifle and check out the oxygen cannister
next to her body
-- there is air / gas escaping from it and lightly billowing down the sides of the cannister. When they've bothered to do even little touches like that, it just helps immerse you all the more. Not just great use of effects, but great design work.

There is some nice lighting work on Jill's bodysuit too, there was one point where I just stood near this red light thing, observing how her suit was reflecting that specific light source on one side of her, with the more global light sources affecting everything else. Looks really nice. I want more capgod games on this thing.

I'm not usually one for gushing about graphics -- but they are great. The biggest bonus for me is that the gameplay is great too -- the return to RE staples (keys with emblems, puzzles, exploration) combined with the newer gameplay experimentation (episodic nature, control of many characters, more modern RE style action segments)... its just been a really fun ride so far. And I said this in an earlier post, but the sound design is fantastic. There are a lot of people here who've already pointed out some of the creepier audio moments... that is a really genius part of this game that I haven't seen reflected enough in reviews. (Boss spoilers) "
Maydayyyy
" and "
I found you
" are already classic soundbytes to my mind now... when I remember this game, it's moments like those that I'll remember.

So well said, I could never put it as good as you have, but that's the way I feel. I stopped and changed the camera angles to get a good look at the beautiful light reflections on surfaces many times. One of the best things about the entire package is the lighting in my opinion, it's sensational.

I've put 22 hours into the game already and I truthfully can't remember putting more into RE4 or 5. This is a legitimate A+ game no matter what platform it is on.

RetroMG

Got a gift card to Amazon today, and was debating getting this. Finally settled on it, and BAM! Out of stock.
I was OK with it, but now reading this thread, I may go look at Best Buy tomorrow for a copy.

EDIT: I just went to look and suddenly it's back in stock. WHAT.
EDIT2: Oh, it's a 3rd party seller. No Amazon Prime next-day air discount for me. (I'm taking a long plane trip on Saturday.)
...I might pull the trigger anyway.

RAID chat:

Ken_______________________3780-9033-8017
BigDin69__________________1719-3175-9888

Added myself on the bottom there, added everyone else now. Please add back!

And done! Hope you guys are planning on getting Kid Icarus and/or Heroes of Ruin.

A question about the campaign: I'm on chapter 4 and
I missed the shotgun, will I be able to go back and get it? Also, where is it? I remember seeing it but forgot.

Not yet, but will give it a shot!

Let me know what you think

RE:R is the first game in along time that actually has useful options

I didn't even realize until after I got the game that you could switch aiming perspectives from first person to 3rd person in the demo

Note to self, if I ever do another media blackout, make sure I go thru the menus in the gaming options to see what the game has to offer besides the default setup.

Wizpig

I feel that's a problem than almost every game I've played recently has.

Gears 3, Alan Wake, etc.
Especially annoying in Alan Wake.
I hated it, because it feels cheap and it's in a game that i love / cared for the characters / etc.

Gears 3... who cares.

Revelations, yeah, a little annoying, but the cutscenes in 3d are cool! :) the first one :O

"Strong" also causes double images on some things.
"Very Strong" causes too much of it for me.
"Normal" is perfect, but i use Strong because very few images suffer from the double thing like in Pilotwings Resort.

Best 3d, if we are talking "you can play hours with it on without stressing your eyes" is still Mario Kart 7.
Best 3d in the actual game is 3D Land / Pushmo to me.

Dinosur

so does the game have perks/upgrades if you play only campaign mode?

the manual makes it sounds like its Raid mode only for the perks/upgrades.

Yes. There are normal inventory upgrades throughout the campaign plus you unlock new guns/items from completing missions (achievements).

Hoffer

Neo Member
I went to buy it at GameStop last night and it was sold out. Anecdotal sales report ALERT!

Same story for me. Sold out of the game, but they had one circle pad pro for sale to someone without pre-order. So, I grabbed that.

Just got back from Best Buy with a copy of the game.

PKrockin

I stand corrected--GameFly does have good deals sometimes. They shipped out my copy two days ago and they're already offering to let me keep it for $30. Best deal I've seen elsewhere is $40 or $50 with a $10 gift card.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Initial shipment was low, due to the typo on the packaging. New shipments will fix it.

But no! More people need Revelaitons! :( Especially about the Raid mode, which is so awesome.

Now I'm redoing some older levels at "Easy" to farm a bit more - I'm at level 23, right now - and to obtain some S ranks here and there. Feeling so powerful in the first levels :lol

Hoping the second shipment comes fast, this needs to sell at least one million.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
You guys are making me want to go out and buy this! Stop enjoying it!

Well, effectively today I stopped a bit to continue again Pushmo, the
extra levels
. And tomorrow, Crush3D demo to try!
...But it's so good!!! How can't you buy it?!?

This is simply not true. Crowd control in this game takes a lot more strategy and environmental awareness than RE4. For one you have to keep more distance as the range of the Ooze is vastly greater than that of a standard ganado. Second, preparing a stun move is critical when dealing with larger crowds. In RE4 it was enough to get a kneeshot, move in and melee since there was no charging time for the melee. In Revelations crowd control is a lot harder and relies on good planning. Melees can be amazingly helpfull when executed efficiently.

It's definetly a change from RE4-5 Mercenaries, but after getting the hang of it, it works just as well, if not better in certain instances, as it isn't a easily exploitable as before.

You do have to keep range, that is all, so you just keep moving away while shooting which is always been the issue with moving and shooting. Now you individual shots don't matter as much as you can just keep moving away. In RE4 they come from all directions and many are using different attacks and you usually have a huge environment where there are many ways to create space or put objects between you and the enemies. RE4/5 is all about positioning and strategic shooting, this game is not. It is more classic RE where you just get a powerful gun and pound them till they drop. Yes you can do stuff like melee but even that involves a damage threshold and not just proper aiming.

Then there are the other enemies
like hunters that just swarm you
and it is basically a shooting gallery. The game still has great combat and raid mode makes the most of this system. But its no RE4/5 in terms of combat, not that I expected it to be and I just elaborating why I feel it is not as good.

M3d10n

Anyone else absolutely floored by the visuals in this game? In general, I haven't been all that impressed with the visuals produced by your average 3DS title. Mario was lovely, of course, but most games gave me the impression of a super charged PSP.

Revelations, though? Absolutely incredible. This is a game that would not look out of place on PS3 or 360 (at least with a few minor improvements).

The lighting, shader usage, animation, etc. are all top notch. It FEELS solid and looks like a very recent game. Honestly, I can't think of any game on the Wii with such elaborate shader work. The fact that it sports AA in 2D mode is a cherry on top.

The only disappointment I have is the fact that all of the cutscenes are simply video clips. I was really hoping they would take the realtime route. I also noticed that, while playing, character mouths are not animated at all.

Still, the overall visual package is outstanding and suggests the 3DS to be more capable than I had expected. Great to see!

There only one minor grip I have: the specular effects don't have depth* with 3D on. This is from the demo, but I assume it's the same in the final version.

*Explanation:
Specular highlights are reflections of light sources and thus change based on viewpoint. Since stereo 3D shows the scene from two slightly different viewpoints, the specular highlights should look different for the left and right eyes, making the reflection have a different depth than the surface, just as in real life (the reflection on a mirror or polished surface looks like it goes deeper than the surface itself).

You can instantly tell an object is shinny in 3D, even if it's a subtle reflection, while in 2D movement (of the camera or the object) is required to highlight the effect. This is quite obvious in Super Mario 3D Land, StarFox 64 3D and even Find Mii.

In Resident Evil Revelations the specular highlights reacts to camera movement, but in 3D it looks "flat", as if it was painted in the surface. I don't know if this was a performance decision or a design decision (real stereo specular can look a bit flickery on uneven surfaces, just like in real-life), but it kinda let me down because I loved the effect on Mario 3D Land.

tkscz

I've been so busy that I've yet to unlock a single mission in raid mode, so I've yet to unlock raid mode :(

Sinthetic

Those of you who are wanting to S rank all the Raid levels on Abyss. Give up if you are trying to do it solo, the only way to achieve that feat is to do co-op.

Westraid

2234-7257-0692 here. I'm not online a lot so keep it in mind should you consider to add me. I'm also new to the forums, not sure if that's a problem.

I've been so busy that I've yet to unlock a single mission in raid mode, so I've yet to unlock raid mode :(
I hear ya.
I passed on the cheap Zavvi deal because I had to have it on the release (January 27th) and haven't even finished chapter 6 to unlock the next batch of raid mode levels. :\
Game's great though. I wish I had more time to enjoy it without constantly having to interrupt it for a couple of days.

Top Bottom