• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil Revelaitons |OT| 3D Jill Sandwiches

Why the hell can't I just press a button to jump to the FPV and begin scanning immediately?

I feel like tapping up and scanning and then tapping up again when I'm done is sufficiently easy that it's no big deal. The few instants it takes to equip/unequip it are not annoying enough to feel like any sort of hindrance, but they are enough to make you think twice about trying to scan some quick enemies, which is as it should be.

Frankenstick implementation

Very half-assed and obviously added very late in development.

Since the game plays so well with it I see no reason to assume as much. It's like it was made for it, and most people seem to agree on this point.

and left the L button unused completely.

Have you tried using the L button with the CCP on? It's obvious they made a conscious decision to avoid it and I'm glad they did.

Secondly, four buttons are wasted. Y is used for reloading....which is something the B button does anyway in aim mode. X does nothing outside of menus. Same for Dpad down and the L button. What this means is they could have easily taken some strain off the touch screen fuctions by mapping some of these to buttons. The extra map/inventory stuffs should have been mapped to the X button, and either quick turn or auto-scan to L freeing up Dpad up to your third weapon (eliminating the need for touch-screen switching). I could go on about how they could have better implemented this control scheme, but I think you get the point.

Wait, what? You don't have to use the touch screen for anything in this game. Everything on the screen except for the menu can be done with the d-pad.

up = switch between weapons and scanner
right, when a weapon is equipped = cycle through weapons
left = change sub weapon (knife, grenades etc.)

I probably touched the screen like 6 times total, and always just to pull up the in-game menu to look at the map.

Complaints about unused buttons seem mostly theoretical - sure, the game played fine as it was, but dammit every button must be used!

pa22word

I feel like tapping up and scanning and then tapping up again when I'm done is sufficiently easy that it's no big deal.

it's needlessly wasting my time, therefore it is a big deal.

The few instants it takes to equip/unequip it are not annoying enough to feel like any sort of hindrance

"Few"? You have to Equip/unequip it every single time you use it.

but they are enough to make you think twice about trying to scan some quick enemies, which is as it should be.

1. you can solve this by forcing scanning to take longer for enemies (which is exactly what the game does)

2. 90% of the time you're scanning it's in an empty room

Tt doesn't "force me to think twice", it's just needlessly wasting my time

Since the game plays so well with it I see no reason to assume as much. I

Yeah other than the numerous buttons that are left unused when they could have been mapped to something else.

It's like it was made for it,

what

RE mercs has the exact same control scheme without it.

and most people seem to agree on this point.

Ad poplulum isn't a good argument dude =\

Have you tried using the L button with the CCP on? It's obvious they made a conscious decision to avoid it and I'm glad they did.

It works fine; and no I am not happy they chose to force me to lose my aim to quick turn when left a button unused on the shoulders.

You don't have to use the touch screen for anything in this game. Everything on the screen except for the menu can be done with the d-pad.

You do realize you just contradicted yourself, right?

up = switch between weapons and scanner

scanner should have been mapped elsewhere and automatic; removing the need for switching in the firstplace

right, when a weapon is equipped = cycle through weapons

Except there's no reason to have to cycle when I could have each gun mapped to a button for exact switching (something by default you're forced to do on the touchscreen)

left = change sub weapon (knife, grenades etc.)

The point being that I shouldn't have to switch. I should have a button dedicated to melee, and a button dedicated to grenades.

Complaints about unused buttons seem mostly theoretical - sure, the game played fine as it was, but dammit every button must be used!

It's not about them leaving buttons on the floor, it's about them leaving them on the floor when they could have been used for more functions and ease of access.

Some people need to read manuals and such, developers can't win when they include controls that people don't even know are there.

Mind elaborating on this? I have no idea who you are referring to or why.

Toge

I wanna do Bonus stage soon - anyone level 48 or above with all level 40+ weapons let me know.

daaku/weird/akimbo - what level/stages are you all at now??

Would one against one multiplayer work for this game or would it be shit because of the way Resident Evil games control???

Sure it'd be slower paced but I don't know...

Or even one on one where you go for the most kills of bad guys against each other.

Toge

Would one against one multiplayer work for this game or would it be shit because of the way Resident Evil games control???

Or even one on one where you go for the most kills of bad guys against each other.

there would just be a mexican standoff with the muramasa or p90 - whoever has the best one and can shoot with the best accuracy would win LOL

jufonuk

not tag worthy

what about a , two Human characters against a powerful infected or the enemy controller can have an RTS style interface placing enemies in locations etc.
like a set weighting for enemies they can place weaker set to 1, then it goes up , it's up to the human chars to fight through. the controller[dungeon master] can set conditions (stronger enemies, faster) etc to vary games just an Idea.... so like a tower defense with
TPS elements, you could play round robin so mix it up

what about a , two Human characters against a powerful infected or the enemy controller can have an RTS style interface placing enemies in locations etc.
like a set weighting for enemies they can place weaker set to 1, then it goes up , it's up to the human chars to fight through. the controller[dungeon master] can set conditions (stronger enemies, faster) etc to vary games just an Idea.... so like a tower defense with
TPS elements, you could play round robin so mix it up

You're really going to like Killer Freaks from Outerspace for the Wii U...

Ad poplulum isn't a good argument dude =\

It is however a good enough reason to disregard your statements, given that they deviate so far from the norm. Sometimes people are simply nit picky/unreasonable, and it is apparent that this is one of those times.

You do realize you just contradicted yourself, right?

I apologize for assuming you didn't need me to type out "except for the menu which is of such limited utility as to not matter."

Ultimately the game controls fine as it is and didn't need any modification specifically to suit you. If they did use the L button you can be sure there'd be a lot of people saying "I liked everything about it except having to use L, which felt weird on the CCP." The game's fine as it is and the CCP implementation is flawless.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Did you see the reveal of that game???

It is almost exactly what you said, one player uses the Wii U Tablet controller and is the "director" and the other players have to tear through hi/her obstacles, etc...

sorry to derail the thread but you don't have a link to the video?, all I have seen of it were a couple of screenshots..then I forgot about it

Overall, REv is a great package worthy of a buy from any 3DS owner suffering from the tried and true first year lifespan old lack 'o games-itis. However, series fans may be disappointed by the schizophrenic level design and story pacing, and toning down of the melee system. Despite these issues, I feel REv is totally worth the $40 price of admission.

If I had to give it a score I'd probably give it an 8/10 or so.

That definitely no longer applies. 3DS is in danger of having too many games at this point, haha.

I'm on chapter 8 and just stopped in to say how much I love this game.

I've never really played a RE before, apart from a few bits here and there at friend's houses, and this game is making me want to go out and get 4, having heard such good things about it.

I'vebeen taking it slow, über-scanning, and when I unlock more Raid missions I usually do all of them before jumping back into the story. It's a great change of pace, let's me keep killing the baddies and is a hell of a lot of fun.

And so far the main game and story are not disappointing me. Great tension, good sense of freedom, LOVE scanning around, and so far I don't feel that I've had to do something for some asinine reason - it all makes sense, plot wise.

Love love love it.

/gush

And I appreciate the lack of spoilers in here. I like hearing the end game is badass without hearing exactly why. =)

I really hope you do as it is a wonderful game that you are likely to love even more than Revelaitons I suspect.

You have no lack of choice of format i.e. Cube, PS2, PC, Wii, Live/PSN and given how cheaply you should be able to pick it up, I would say that it hardly should be an issue :).

However, I would recommend the Wii version. Even if you can't stand Wii pointer controls [which would be a shame as they are excellent] you could play it with a Cube controller.

Oh and if you go that direction you should definitely consider REmake [the first RE game re-made for the Cube] as that is classic, original RE gameplay but with vastly improved visuals over the Playstation original.

cool, one other thing, the crappy AI and co-op nature of five put me off playing it.
does lost in nightmares contain such issues? not to derail the thread as in RE:R the parts with Partners are handled excellently, hmm an easier solution play RE:R on a higher difficulty setting..

as for Resi 4 for 3DS talk, use the Wii Version for 3DS with all they extras, BUT (raises flame shield) allow Moving while shooting, Mercs with Online play. and presto best version of 4 ever.. well maybe the controls, but Gyro might be as good as Wii-mote aiming? (haven't tried Gyro controls) - Yes I am one of those Resident Evil players, I like to move and shoot, I find the stop-aim-pop nature good but limitiing

I've never played 2, would/could it benefit from the Resi:R style of controlling over the shoulder etc, or would that weaken it? also as much as I would love 4 on the 3DS, would it be better to get more original Resident Evils for the 3DS instead of all remakes/ports?

I hope Revelations isn't a one off for the 3DS

I understand your preference but fundamentally disagree with you where RE4 is concerned. The inability to move and shoot is intrinsic to the whole game design. It is the primary mechanic to instill TENSION!!! and FEAR!!! in the player given the format it was designed for at the time. Given stronger tech now the devs could go another route but for RE4 it worked perfectly.

Now that is one thing I can get completely behind! :) Revelaitons has got me into a real RE NERDWANT!!! longing for previous game port/re-makes and new games, whether side games or main games, on the 3DS.

I wanna do Bonus stage soon - anyone level 48 or above with all level 40+ weapons let me know.

daaku/weird/akimbo - what level/stages are you all at now??

I'm still 43 on Abyss 9. Was trying to catch up with randoms an hour ago but wasn't abel to connect to the server, so I started my Hell playthrough.

pa22word

It is however a good enough reason to disregard your statements,.

No it isn't. It's a fallacious argument most often used by people who can't come up with a decent counter response. Ie, the easy way out.

I apologize for assuming you didn't need me to type out "except for the menu which is of such limited utility as to not matter."

The map function "is of such limited uses as to not matter?"

I don't know what game you were playing, but I often checked my map in the ship segments to see where I may have missed something. This again is something that could have been mapped to a button that went unused in the set up.

The game's fine as it is and the CCP implementation is flawless

That's kind of an irrational thing to say, wouldn't you agree?

jufonuk

not tag worthy
I understand your preference but fundamentally disagree with you where RE4 is concerned. The inability to move and shoot is intrinsic to the whole game design. It is the primary mechanic to instill TENSION!!! and FEAR!!! in the player given the format it was designed for at the time. Given stronger tech now the devs could go another route but for RE4 it worked perfectly.

Now that is one thing I can get completely behind! :) Revelaitons has got me into a real RE NERDWANT!!! longing for previous game port/re-makes and new games, whether side games or main games, on the 3DS.

Cool, I can see where you are coming from in regards to no move shoot, what about if Capcom did an option like a remix mode? so you can have original or move shoot. ..

yes I agree more original Resi games for 3DS is only a good thing, so long as they are no onrails shooters, hell rumour has it Capcom even had 5 running on the 3DS so the lack of power leading to onrails is out the question now. More original Resi 3DS games please.

Cool, I can see where you are coming from in regards to no move shoot, what about if Capcom did an option like a remix mode? so you can have original or move shoot. ..

That'd work but if I had to guess, the developer has their own vision for generally how you play and that would compromise it even if an option.

They might be afraid everyone or many play it that way and lose out on the way the game was intended to "feel"/play.

Options are cool though.

Many games could have optional control methods(see Donkey Kong Country Returns) but I have an inkling that these are not available because of what I said as they probably wouldn't be difficult to implement at all.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-y71x9MZMU4

It should be somewhere in this or a related video, didn't watch this one much to find the specific part where they talk about that kind of gameplay but they did just that at this revealing.

many thanks found it. awesome :D

That definitely no longer applies. 3DS is in danger of having too many games at this point, haha.

So now that RE:R is out, would MGS3 & Heroes of Ruin be considered the next Epic games coming out for the 3DS for Q1?

pa22word

Well, I was more directing that at the audience who plays games like RE and MGS exclusively. This is the first really serious attempt at this sort of game on the system (ports notwithstanding). For guys like me who can play 20 hours of Mario 3D land and pop in REv and have a blast too, then yeah the 3DS is doing pretty great.

The map function "is of such limited uses as to not matter?"

I don't know what game you were playing, but I often checked my map in the ship segments to see where I may have missed something. This again is something that could have been mapped to a button that went unused in the set up.

It's of such limited usefulness that I even assumed there was a button that would open the map, perhaps select, and I never bothered to try and find it because I really didn't care.

That's kind of an irrational thing to say, wouldn't you agree?

No more irrational than a laundry list of personal changes that would upset more people than would help.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Three chapters down. Most obvious thing that stands out is the production values. They're pretty insane for a handheld title. Capcom went all out, to the point where with HQ assets they could stick this on PSN/LIVE and people would lap it up. Easily the most technically impressive game on the 3DS.

Still don't like the frankenstick though. Funnily enough, despite being so huge and weird, I'd honestly prefer it to be a bit bigger, or more specifically, the right side needs an extra half an inch or something. The way it is, the extra control pad is in the most uncomfortable position imaginable. Its a thumb aching nightmare.

Other than that I'm having a lot of fun, though at mixed levels. The ship draws parallels with Resident Evil's mansion, and thus I really like it. The action focused chapters are visually impressive and a nice change of pace, but almost all out stood their welcome. Action heavy Resident Evil is pretty horrible unless it's Resident Evil 4. Capcom just can't get it right.

Raid is now unlocked, so I'm eager to give it a go.

pa22word

No more irrational than a laundry list of personal changes that would upset more people than would help.

So now we're arguing based on your meaningless conjecture that taking better advantage of the frankenstick controls would piss people off. Lovely.

Still don't like the frankenstick though. Funnily enough, despite being so huge and weird, I'd honestly prefer it to be a bit bigger, or more specifically, the right side needs an extra half an inch or something. The way it is, the extra control pad is in the most uncomfortable position imaginable. Its a thumb aching nightmare.

I had this same exact issue for the first few hours. I remedied it by looking over the device and realizing that Ninty designed the thing to be controlled by keeping your thumbs vertical while holding the device. Problem with this is every controller since the 7th gen has designed their sticks in order to be used with our thumbs at an angle, so we instinctively try and use the frankenstick at an angle despite it not being designed for it.

tl;dr: try keeping your right thumb vertical

Toge

oh just got trolled hard. was doing mad banquet and the guy DCed when the medal popped up

what do people gain eh? *sighs*

olimpia84

A random dude helped me out last night with most of the trench missions I had left to complete (stage 10 and onward). Got S rankings in all of them but need to go back and repeat 7 and 9 to get an S ranking and claim my blue title.

Jarsonot

No it isn't. It's a fallacious argument most often used by people who can't come up with a decent counter response. Ie, the easy way out.

Well, since we're talking about reviews, and therefore opinions, I don't think it's a bad argument to make. If 99% of people think something is great, and 1% disagree, it's a fair argument that maybe the 1% is just too damn picky.

Every game I've ever played I'd change SOMETHING about it, but at the end of the day the developers have to call it quits, put out what they like best, and hope we like it too.

Not saying you're opinion is wrong, of course. Just saying that "everyone else seems to like it" can be a fair argument in an (hopelessly doomed) opinion war. =)

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Okay, so, Raid Mode is fucking excellent.

Ridley327

Okay, so, Raid Mode is fucking excellent.

Yes, yes it is. Despite using the same levels as the story, they do a fantastic job of mixing things up, especially when you unlock the higher difficulties. It really keeps you on your toes and eventually ammo management becomes immensely important, even in the face of being able to have more access to it than in the story. It's brilliant.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Just finished the campaign.

Activity log has me at EXACTLY 10 hours of playtime.

I'm not getting the complaints on this game being really hard. I died a lot more in RE4 (though I might be a better gamer now). The bosses were bullet sponges but they move so slow and repeat easy patterns that you're not in any major danger. The only times I died at any of the bosses was from me trying to figure out how I should approach the battle. Once I figured that out, that battles were a breeze. In fact, I don't think I died more then once to any of the bosses.

I opted out of the 3D and instead chose to use the Gyro aiming. I really was surprised at how accurate I became with the feature. At the end of the game my accuracy rating was no less then 90%. I honestly believe that I'm more accurate with the Gyro then I am with a Dual Analog setup. Either way, I enjoyed the setup enough for it to become my preferred way to play RE games, and if RE6 graces the Wii U, the function will make my purchase choice an easy one.

I enjoyed the episode nature of Revelations, especially for someone like me who would jump in for an hour or less a day. It did a great job of recapping what happened last and getting me back into the swings of things. What I didn't enjoy was the godawful story and writing. Even for RE levels this was bad. I finished the game not really knowing what the hell just happened, why I did what I did, and WTF
Raymond was a mole as well as Jessica?? Someone care to explain
the last scene (I've only play RE4, 5, and Revelations).

Bottom line though I really enjoyed the game. The controls were pretty much brilliant, and the gameplay was fun as hell. I wished they would of had more of the scary awesome atmosphere
Chapter 1-3 and 12
instead of the bulk of the game relying more on action and
underwater scenes
. By the way let us forget all the other RE characters (beside Leon), because Parker is the fricken man! I wish the would make a
Parker RE game, what the hell has he been doing since Revelations?
!

ezekial45

Banned
What are the chances of Capcom implementing a raid mode in RE6? I know it was designed in mind for it being a portable game, but fans seem to really dig it, and every review i've read for the game praised it.

They'll probably include just the mercenaries mode, but I think the raid mode, or something like it, is worth including.

Ridley327

What are the chances of Capcom implementing a raid mode in RE6? I know it was designed in mind for it being a portable game, but fans seem to really dig it, and every review i've read for the game praised it.

They'll probably include just the mercenaries mode, but I think the raid mode, or something like it, is worth including.

I don't think they've said much about it, but going by the listing on Xbox.com, there is some kind of co-op mode for up to six players. Mercenaries is probably guaranteed (especially with the game appearing to have larger-scaled areas than previous games), but Raid seems like it would be a great fit. The more modes, the merrier!

tkscz

Never going to happen, unfortunately.

http://www.capcom-unity.com/ask_capc...Horror_RE?pg=2

Here's some of my thoughts into REv:

Parker's a bro (JEEEL, VUT ARE YOU DOING?),
and probably the only new character I want to become a series mainstay.
The rest of the new characters are by and large garbage though.

Time to completion: 10 hours

Gameplay:

(Keep in mind I played with the frankenstick)

Like the reduced ammo counts, even if it is an illusion for the most part. Gun upgrades seemed rad at first, but I quickly grew to dislike them as a whole as it devalued the individual guns (eg, there's not going to be a Red9 vs blacktail or Riot Gun vs Striker convos stemming). Scanning is a pain in the ass and serves no purpose other than padding the game out by forcing you to scan every room for crap. It doesn't help any that the damned game forces you to equip the scanner then aim and scan. Why the hell can't I just press a button to jump to the FPV and begin scanning immediately? Old system of item drops via enemy kills and treasure drops via shiny spots on walls and/or environmental tasks is not only better and more efficient in every way, it also doesn't waste my god-damned time on trivial crap. Dodge system seems a little more unreliable than I had hoped, but I guess that's the point. Dislike the new melee system and feel like they really lost a lost of the character of RE4/5's gameplay by making it play like "Dead Space: but actually a functional horror game". Even with the 200%+ daze on my handgun I was rarely getting melee prompts. Jelly screen health is infuriating, but I suppose it could have been worse with regen health or something. So basically this game plays a lot like a generic shooter, rather than an RE game because they stripped out a ton of the individuality in RE4/5 that separated it from the pack. Is it more "accessible" for it? Probably, but by making it more accessible they lost what made RE4/5 (particularly 5) really shine: the outstanding contextual melee system.

Based on the gameplay, I don't much hold much hope for RE6 as it seems to be going even more in the generic direction (roadie run, cover system, etc).

I can't agree with this. My main issue is that you're trying to compare it with RE4/5 (of which 5 I didn't like, but will get into that later) alone, when the game is trying to be a mix of RE classic and RE new age.

Now, if you have played classic RE, then you should understand why things were they way they are.

They went for helplessness over accessibility in my opinion. RE4/5 has ammo come out of the enemies, which allows for an easier, more accessible experience. RE classics, however, didn't do that. You had to scour an entire room just to find one box of ammo. This gave the classic series a sense of trying to survive. Not everything was just handed to you. You had to go through harsh situations in an attempt to get what you needed.

For me, revelations succeeds in that area. The scanner gives me the feeling of having to do whatever I can to survive. Scan all around for the slightest bit of ammo, making sure each shot was precise to save up on ammo. If you were off enough times, you really did run out of ammo. In fact,
In the engine room section,
I constantly ran out of ammo trying to hit those fish and parasite things.

This game also had more puzzles than most reviewers say it does. While they are, by far, not the mind bogglers of RE classics, they are still more complex than what we got in RE4/5. The game also brings back the metroid-like adventure elements, which include backtracking, for keys and switches in order to advance anywhere.

The game only really resembles the new age RE in the sense of it's camera and during the
Not Jill sections
. These parts relied more on just shooting your way through, rather than solving puzzles, finding keys, and making your way through with few resources.
Playing as Quint and Keith reminded me of RE4, than RE2

Above all, it's paced much better than what some reviewers give it credit for. RE5, and the reason I didn't enjoy it, was paced badly. You were constantly shooting at monsters, there were very few rooms for puzzle solving, or just walking. You were mostly shooting at things, which for me, made RE5 more of a generic shooter than RE:R. RE:R's pacing was much better. You didn't fight and ooze every step of the way, some rooms were empty and others meant for puzzle solving. The empty rooms, because they were so atmospheric, made me feel tense, like something HAS to happen in that room, because I either got a key, or near a point of interest. Hell even the more new age parts of the game had better pacing.

This is just how I felt and I'm not say anything negative about your view, just that I can't agree with it.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
So in this thread, we concur Parker is fucking awesome, he went from "who the fuck is that??" "not a crappy New character" to "He's the fucking man/Boss"

what is the percentage?

I love Parker, he balanced out Quint and Grinder.
Though Quint had the quote of the Game

Top Bottom