• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil Revelaitons |OT| 3D Jill Sandwiches

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Oh wow Hell mode really steps it up. It makes you have to plan everything ahead and really save your bullets. They even place items in certain places to bait you into an ambush, it's really quite brilliant. I made it to the elevator, and going off my pass experience with Normal mode, I had everything all mapped out. Little did I know that after I ran to bait scissor hands to follow and quick turned to go back down the hallway I came from,
Another one was was right in my face
! I screamed like a little girl, and died lol.

Surprisingly I like the game better without 3D, too much ghosting with it. Also, the Gyro controls make the game much more intense, and is more intuitive/fun then any other control scheme I have tried out so far for RE:R. Looks like I'll wait to pick up the Circle Pad Pro with Kid Icarus now.

You want to know how much demos matter? I was planning on renting this game after Resident Evil 5 and Capcom's recent disappointments (outside the fighter department), but now I am buying it day one. Can't fricken wait!

kunonabi

question the taste of ANYONE who calls ANYTHING a step up from RE4.

Control wise I prefer RE4 but the game jettisoned everything I loved about RE. Not hard to imagine at attempt at going back to the series' roots to be an improvement for some of us.

Like several people here, I managed to "auto-dodge" some enemy attacks by accident, but now I've figured out the method, on control type A at least. Press B just before an enemy attack to dodge it. Capcom really should have explained how to do this from the start. Now, anyone figure out how stuns for melee setups work here? I can't make them happen consistently.

EDIT: I was wrong. It's actually a tap of the circle pad towards the attacking enemy; the B button association was coincidental because I was already holding the circle pad towards the enemy.

maeda

We finally got the weapon swapping I had been dreaming about since RE 4! This demo is definitely tempting me to buy day 1! Must resist!

Control wise I prefer RE4 but the game jettisoned everything I loved about RE. Not hard to imagine at attempt at going back to the series' roots to be an improvement for some of us.

the franchise was getting really stale. it would have died if it hadn't changed. the only reason i've seen anyone hating on RE4 is because it was different, not because the changes were bad, per se.

can't we just call this an apparent improvement on 5 and leave it there? saying something like 'it's meh but it's better than RE4!' is a really unusual opinion. i'm well aware of the group of people that thought RE4 was a great game, but not really 'Resident Evil' anymore.

someone who puts one of the best reviewed games, one of gaf's favorite games and my favourite game below 'meh'? yeah. i'm going to question their taste.

zoukka

Like several people here, I managed to "auto-dodge" some enemy attacks by accident, but now I've figured out the method, on control type A at least. Press B just before an enemy attack to dodge it. Capcom really should have explained how to do this from the start. Now, anyone figure out how stuns for melee setups work here? I can't make them happen consistently.

There are stun melee's in this! Awesome if true.

Mupod

Jill's butt in 3D is a miracle of the universe.

Hell mode was unexpectedly badass, and the controls work fine. Debating whether I should bother with a Circle Pad now, but I'll need one for Monster Hunter someday eventually so I might as well.

I noticed you can scan dead enemies. What happens if you get it up to 100%?

wrowa

It gets a little dumb when you play the game multiple times, because you already know where that stuff is located. But for one playthrough I think it's fun, especially with the gyro controls.

I think it's dumb from the beginning. Why do I have to scan the environment in order to see an item? How does that even make sense? Are them phantom items that due to a scarry miracle can only be seen if you scan it with a ghost scanner?

MooMoo

I think it's dumb from the beginning. Why do I have to scan the environment in order to see an item? How does that even make sense? Are them phantom items that due to a scarry miracle can only be seen if you scan it with a ghost scanner?
It's all the work of the poltergeist! :p

It's a supply scanner!

it's a gameplay mechanic to slow the game down and stretch it out a bit. it doesn't make a whole barrel of sense, but i'm fine with it personally. item chests never made a whole barrel of sense either.

is it in the more actiony segments do we know? i think it'd annoy me there, but in the slower horror sections it adds to the tension, so i'm good with it.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Almost home...time do download this demo and have a go...feeling better in regards to cancelling the zavvi order. then getting it for more on amazon..early adopted of 3DS justified imho

pulga

Banned
Goddamn at hell mode. So so good. I'm definitely sticking w/ gyro, might even use the FPS perspective. Will have to go through it again using 3rd person, see which one I end up liking better.

Hell mode "spoiler":
HOLY FUCKING BEETHOVEN ON A LLAMA, ELEVATOR MADNESS! I shat bricks!

Didn't ever really run out of ammo though, the scan gun is a thing of wonder. What happens when you 100% it?

After not buzzing at all for RE5, this feels good mang.

It is a videogame with weird zombie-like creatures. Why do you even ask?

kunonabi

the franchise was getting really stale. it would have died if it hadn't changed. the only reason i've seen anyone hating on RE4 is because it was different, not because the changes were bad, per se.

can't we just call this an apparent improvement on 5 and leave it there? saying something like 'it's meh but it's better than RE4!' is a really unusual opinion. i'm well aware of the group of people that thought RE4 was a great game, but not really 'Resident Evil' anymore.

someone who puts one of the best reviewed games, one of gaf's favorite games and my favourite game below 'meh'? yeah. i'm going to question their taste.

I had severe issues with pretty much everything RE4 did apart from the core gameplay. It was a fun action game, no argument there. Everything surrounding that was just so incredibly irritating that it made it difficult for me to enjoy it apart from Mercs. Just because everyone else loved doesn't mean I have to.

I look at things from a traditional RE perspective. I accept that I've never going to completely happy with RE as it exists today.

Goddamn at hell mode. So so good. I'm definitely sticking w/ gyro, might even use the FPS perspective. Will have to go through it again using 3rd person, see which one I end up liking better.

Hell mode "spoiler":
HOLY FUCKING BEETHOVEN ON A LLAMA, ELEVATOR MADNESS! I shat bricks!

Didn't ever really run out of ammo though, the scan gun is a thing of wonder. What happens when you 100% it?

After not buzzing at all for RE5, this feels good mang.

I believe if you scan the monsters while they are alive, you get a higher percentage boost. If you reach 100%, you get a free herb. I could be wrong though.

maeda

Am i the only one annoyed that they added a residual momentum to controls. Jill doesn't stop on a dime like Leon did in RE4. :(

watershed

Banned
Demo was good but running did feel a little slow. Dodging was great, saved me a few times. I'm gonna go back through it with some alternate control schemes. Time to test out gyro.

Demo was alright. 3D wasn't that bad either. Relied a little too much on jump scares though. Sound quality was kind of weird though, was the mushy mushy sound Jill's suit or is it enemies? Weird.

I dig the item scanner. Any idea what scanning enemies does? I got it up to 100% but it just goes back to 0 again. Does it change the amount of bullets it takes to kill an enemy? I'm counting about five handgun bullets for the regular dudes. Didn't try it on the bulbous one and the claw guy near the end, just used a grenade and three shotgun shots.

Controls are alright, used type A (That was RE4 style, right?). Guess I won't need the frankenstick.

CAVE343

Im really struggling with the controls, so CPP bundle it is (unfortunately).

Also first person shooting is pretty well done actually, I thought it would kinda suck. But I'm sticking with over the shoulder.

My only real complaint is the lack of power in the guns

Glix

Demo is incredible. I would think that with more time the environments could be a little more interactive/destructible, but besides that, freaking amazing.

I can't wait!

daakusedo

In normal I backtracked to get some items with the scanner but there was nothing.
Does it change in hell mode?
Because I literally did the second half of the demo without killing monsters. Well that was intense and I'm amaze I managed to enter the elevator by quitting this last room and entering it again after I remembered there were still guys in the exposition room.
I think my reflex to use b to run saved me because I dodged every monsters in that last ridiculously tiny corridor.

hiro4

Really liking the demo. Even if it is short and it is the same as the conventions.
But it is nice to play on the couch.

I like the supply scanner and the fact they reward you for using it besides finding weapons. I got a much needed herb :).

It's weird playing this demo right after coming from Dead Space 2. I kept shooting for the limbs.

Excited for the full game though.

This is true. I feel like the handgun needs a lift in power. Shotty seems fine.

There's a pretty extensive upgrade system for the guns as far as I know. Not just upgrades like in RE4/5 but real modifications. At least I think I read something like that in a recent preview.

There's a pretty extensive upgrade system for the guns as far as I know. Not just upgrades like in RE4/5 but real modifications. At least I think I read something like that in a recent preview.
Can you do anything with those upgrade packs you find? Doesn't look like it gives you an option in the demo?

5amshift

Banned

I'm sure going to hope so. You do pick up the weapon modification kit, but I didn't bother to try and use it. But even so before you pick that up, it takes a lot to take down a zombie.

krumble

Had this on preorder for a loooong time
But this demo really shows the 3DS off .. Big Leap from the mercenaries demo

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
OMG Hell mode is totally different! This is no cheap hard mode, everything changes. Enemy placement, new items, almost no herbs. I had to knife the first enemy, I was dodging all over but I have no clue how I did it (anyone know). It is brutal, almost no herbs, almost no ammo. The enemies were everywhere, running became the best option.

I was dying a lot, one time I got to the very end only to open an elevator and get clawed to death, lol! Then I started to mess with the scanner and wow it really adds to the gameplay. Yes there are hidden items to scan but you can scan enemies too. When you scan enough of them you get an herb. All of a sudden it became a game of getting to safe postions to scan the area and enemies for items. Now I had enough ammo and health to blow everyone away, it was a thrill just getting the scanned items.

Oh and gyro aiming is fantastic! The only thing I dont like is using it for the scanner where you need broad sweeps, but for aiming a gun its perfect.

The demo has blown my mind, this is the killer app and what looks to be another RE masterpiece.
You can rotate the 3DS like a steering wheel and it'll make those broad turns. What I don't like about the gyro controls is that when its activated the camera controls on ABXY no longer function. I want to use them to fine tune my aiming, not completely replace them.

Top Bottom