• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil Revelaitons |OT| 3D Jill Sandwiches

Ridley327

Ok just finished the normal run, and I gotta say, if the regular games delivers as much as the mansion part, game's gonna be pretty damn great.

Enemies being bullet sponges work really well, just like regular zombies in the old RE. Movement has a good sense of speed, but I do miss hold B to run, I don't think the slidepad is particularily comfortable for walking. The 2 special enemies really felt well realized, and the set pieces were really well done. Not particularily difficult, but still felt tense. Graphics are nice and clean, and audio, although SFX are weak in quality, music was pretty good.

My only reservation, which has been since they showed it, is the scanner. Although it provides a nice tradeoff between having a weapon ready, it doesn't make a particularily fun gameplay mechanic. Boxes and hidden items in RE4 served a much better purpose than long green view, and checking every corner for some ammo. The game is also pretty generous with ammo thanks to it as well, gonna need to see Hell mode for this as well.

A subweapon button for grenades is exactly what I recommended after playing 5, so seeing this really makes me happy. Just as the touch screen regular weapon switch is perfectly position to change the weapon while you move.

Demo definately did it's job, and I'm definately picking it up at launch and enjoy raid mode.

You definitely will need the scanner for Hell mode; there's far fewer visible ammo drops, and getting to 100% for the bonus herb is practically the only way to get herbs.

I'm sure Hell mode will be an unlockable, but I'd loooooooove for it to be one of the default difficulties.

played the demo earlier, liking everything about it except the lack of a health bar, i just cant tell if im near death or not? i try to save the herbs as much as possible but i dont know how many hits i can take etc before game over!

played the demo earlier, liking everything about it except the lack of a health bar, i just cant tell if im near death or not? i try to save the herbs as much as possible but i dont know how many hits i can take etc before game over!

I actually kind of like the panic this can inspire. You know that the redder your screen is, the deeper shit you're in. Not knowing the exact numerical value heightens the tension.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
I actually kind of like the panic this can inspire. You know that the redder your screen is, the deeper shit you're in. Not knowing the exact numerical value heightens the tension.

I agree but it would be nicer for me if there was an option to stop the screen from desaturating when you're near death. Can't stand it in my console shooters, blegh

Boney

Banned
You definitely will need the scanner for Hell mode; there's far fewer visible ammo drops, and getting to 100% for the bonus herb is practically the only way to get herbs.

I'm sure Hell mode will be an unlockable, but I'd loooooooove for it to be one of the default difficulties.

Good to hear, forgot to ask what did 100% enemy scanning does.

Will try the Hell run later. Probably play around with 3d and maybe use 1st person aiming.

Leonsito

What the hell, was playing the demo, had to stop to answer the phone and then a screen saying "Thanks for playing" appeared and the game went back to the start screen :(

MooMoo

What the hell, was playing the demo, had to stop to answer the phone and then a screen saying "Thanks for playing" appeared and the game went back to the start screen :(
Yeah. It seems that while the demo itself isn't timed, if you idle too long you get quit out automatically.

I played the demo at Very Strong 3D with the 3D slider all the way up.

At first I was getting some bad ghosting, but either my eyes adjusted or I found the correct position to hold the 3DS, it was practically perfect.

I like abusing my eyes this way, it's not recommended though.

OMG Hell mode is totally different! This is no cheap hard mode, everything changes. Enemy placement, new items, almost no herbs. I had to knife the first enemy, I was dodging all over but I have no clue how I did it (anyone know). It is brutal, almost no herbs, almost no ammo. The enemies were everywhere, running became the best option.

I was dying a lot, one time I got to the very end only to open an elevator and get clawed to death, lol! Then I started to mess with the scanner and wow it really adds to the gameplay. Yes there are hidden items to scan but you can scan enemies too. When you scan enough of them you get an herb. All of a sudden it became a game of getting to safe postions to scan the area and enemies for items. Now I had enough ammo and health to blow everyone away, it was a thrill just getting the scanned items.

Oh and gyro aiming is fantastic! The only thing I dont like is using it for the scanner where you need broad sweeps, but for aiming a gun its perfect.

The demo has blown my mind, this is the killer app and what looks to be another RE masterpiece.

Teknoman

Was wondering why because SML3D & OoT 3D never gave me any trouble but this did. Thanks!

You never had the double image trouble with OoT 3D? You're pretty lucky in that case. Never had the problem with Mario 3D land or Mario Kart, but it was pretty frequent for me in Zelda.

EDIT: I think you dodge by doing a quick circle pad flick?

Door2Dawn

Banned
OMG Hell mode is totally different! This is no cheap hard mode, everything changes. Enemy placement, new items, almost no herbs. I had to knife the first enemy, I was dodging all over but I have no clue how I did it (anyone know). It is brutal, almost no herbs, almost no ammo. The enemies were everywhere, running became the best option.

I was dying a lot, one time I got to the very end only to open an elevator and get clawed to death, lol! Then I started to mess with the scanner and wow it really adds to the gameplay. Yes there are hidden items to scan but you can scan enemies too. When you scan enough of them you get an herb. All of a sudden it became a game of getting to safe postions to scan the area and enemies for items. Now I had enough ammo and health to blow everyone away, it was a thrill just getting the scanned items.

Oh and gyro aiming is fantastic! The only thing I dont like is using it for the scanner where you need broad sweeps, but for aiming a gun its perfect.

The demo has blown my mind, this is the killer app and what looks to be another RE masterpiece.
image.php

watershed

Banned
The demo was very fun and bit scary in places. The music made each fight really tense which was good. Graphics are great, glad I preordered.

Sounds exciting! Too bad I'm still stuck in the first room. LOL. This is exactly the RE game I've been waiting for. I really hope RE6 is more like this.

That is the one thing I dont like. I hate it when my game loses color cause I am hurt, its moronic. Now I have to go through chunks of the game in black and white cause I am injured. The color crap needs to stop.

waicol

Banned
Dodging is working for me by pressing R before the mutant does his swing, idk but could be by pressing Y too. Gonna check again.

awesome demo.

IQ actually looks clearer despite the aliasing in 3D mode.

whenever a new RE game is on the horizon, it makes me wanna replay the series

kunonabi

I'm fine with no health indicator. Visual cues like holding the arm or limping are all I really need.

Demo impressions

Running is way too slow
Scanner is meh
Button layouts are horrible
I Capcom would drop Jill since they have no idea what to do with her anymore.

I'll probably bite on getting the game used. It isn't the return to form I want but it is certainly looking like it could be step-up after RE4 and RE5

Bumhead

Banned
Wow.

Really, really impressed with the demo. Its packed with atmosphere, there's some pretty neat control tricks and the visuals are incredible.

To be honest, its exceeded my expectations. Nothing about the demo suggests the game is going to feel like a spin off or sub par handheld brain fart.

Only slight niggle is that im not raving about the enemy design. But where I find the design a little lacking, they make up for it with their difficulty. By having even standard enemies bigger and more powerful than you, the game becomes really imposing. They're tough buggers.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Hell mode is awesome if only for the
elevator surprise
; I really hope it's unlocked right away.
Heh, my first reaction to that segment on normal difficulty was 'Man, what a missed opportunity'. Glad to see that is not the case after all ; )

d00d3n

I had a really hard time adjusting to the 3d in the demo. It was actually the first 3ds game that forced me to switch to 2d mode. I played with the non-standard over the shoulder-perspective aiming, which I guess might have something to do with it. Less annoying 3d with first person aiming?

The scanning mechanic is truly awful.

The controls felt really good, enemy encounter design reminded me more of re4 than re5 and the graphics are probably superior to anything I have seen on 3ds.

I am looking forward to the game.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
I'm fine with no health indicator. Visual cues like holding the arm or limping are all I really need.

Demo impressions

Running is way too slow
Scanner is meh
Button layouts are horrible
I Capcom would drop Jill since they have no idea what to do with her anymore.

I'll probably bite on getting the game used. It isn't the return to form I want but it is certainly looking like it could be step-up after RE4 and RE5

What's wrong with the control layout ? You seem way to negative about the game, after all it's a demo and there are many customization options for the controls.

kunonabi

What's wrong with the control layout ? You seem way to negative about the game, after all it's a demo and there are many customization options for the controls.

The problem is none of them are right and they don't let you customize them.

I like the dpad for switching items button but Y as the action button is irritating as hell. It isn't as bad is was since they dropped the run button all together. I'm not really a fan of how the sub weapons were handled either.

This has been a problem since the later DC ports.

Vrakanox

Seriously this is the most excited I've been to play a new game since like. I don't know, Nier maybe? February 7th is going to be like Christmas morning when I was a kid.

Now that Capcom is starting to redeem themselves lets see if Konami and Square-Enix can do the same.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
Normal mode: Feels like a great difficulty. It's not too easy or too hard. I died once at the end, but that was due to wasting ammo. Once I adjusted for having less ammo, I made it through fairly easily.

Hell mode: I was just expecting the enemies to be bigger bullet sponges. Holy shit did they prove me wrong. I noticed a new grenade in the bathroom, but I just chalked it up to me not being observant enough earlier. Then a
scissor
enemy popped out of the closet. I chucked the grenade immediately before it got to me, but I knew then that this was different. More enemies and less ammo & herbs. The machine gun in the dining room was a nice find, but I wonder if the final version will do that. I got to the end once. I was low on health, but I could have taken down the scissor guy provided I kept my distance. I turned around, and got killed by
a regular enemy that appeared out of nowhere
. I wish hard modes in most other games were like this.

I'm glad they jacked the 3D up compared to the RE:Mercs demo. Putting it on Very Strong did wonders. When I got to the dining room, I was amazed at the fog in 3D. The 2D was also nice enough where I wouldn't have minded using it if the 3D didn't work out for me. The game controls very well and has plenty of options to suit anyone. I didn't care for the gyro aiming, but that's probably because I prefer to use 3rd-person aiming and it just felt weird using it in that view point.

I'm definitely going to have to get this game at some point. I'm not happy about the $50 price tag, but this game is so good that I might justify it.

Wait, where can you find the machine gun?

It's only in Hell mode.
Room with all the fog. It's on a table.

The demo has a nice mix between RE5-style, RE4-style, and pre-RE4.

also, I want REmake port to the 3DS. Please don't let it languish in gamecube/wii purgatory for those of us who don't want those systems...

Ridley327

I just scanned an item on the ceiling, but I have no idea how to get it. I assume it's on second floor or something.

That is correct; you can make your life a little bit easier if you do a bit of backtracking on the first floor since it will pick up items on the second floor.

MooMoo

But that doesn't count as one of the 30 plays, does it? Since it doesn't go back to the 3DS home screen?
So yeah, as expected timing out of the demo doesn't deplete a use :p I would have been surprised if it did haha.

Anyways I died in hard mode in the room right after the dining hall. x.X That exploding big head guy just got way too close to me and I was like "run away or make him explode..." I chose the latter :p I'm extremely happy to see that hard mode is not just a hashed difficulty (re: less health, less ammo, stronger enemy attacks, etc.--not that there's anything wrong with these things) but rather enemy placement, type, and numbers are also changed. I like the aspect of the scanner. It's sort of a herpderp in normal mode but a definite must-use in hell mode imo. The 3D is great too, although the framerate hits aren't so great. The only thing I'm disappointed in is the quality of the gun sound effects. I'm fine with the squishy-sounding impact noise (after all they're gelatinous water creatures) but the guns are just lacking oomph. I know someone stated that a review said that the full game had better sound effects than Mercenaries, but I guess that's something I'll found out for myself in a few weeks. There's a lot more that can be said, but at the end of the day this demo definitely solidified my purchase of this game in three weeks.

That is correct; you can make your life a little bit easier if you do a bit of backtracking on the first floor since it will pick up items on the second floor.

I found another one that you presumably have to shot down. Looks like my shotgun was not precise enough, though. Haha.

/edit/ The MG doesn't work either. STOP BLINKING IF I CANT SHOT YOU DOWN STUPID ITEM

Top Bottom