• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil Revelaitons |OT| 3D Jill Sandwiches

Regarding the first boss...
Is he supposed to take a long ass time to kill and make you use up all your ammo? I blew up every explosive thing next to him except 1. Used all my Handgun, Shotgun, 4 grenades and almost all my rifle ammo to kill him. I think I had like 5 rifle ammo left when all was said and done. I was doing the melee attack after he got stunned by the explosions(missed it twice I think, game doesn't give you a lot of time to run over to him). The only explosive I missed was the one in his room, which I didn't notice until I killed him. The boss battle was REALLY overwhelming. Bad enough you have this relentless monster chasing you, but there are constantly spawning adds in all the worst places. Holy shit.

But other than that I think the game is pretty great so far. It has some disappointing rough edges, but I really like it.

GeekyDad

Regarding the first boss...
Is he supposed to take a long ass time to kill and make you use up all your ammo? I blew up every explosive thing next to him except 1. Used all my Handgun, Shotgun, 4 grenades and almost all my rifle ammo to kill him. I think I had like 5 rifle ammo left when all was said and done. I was doing the melee attack after he got stunned by the explosions(missed it twice I think, game doesn't give you a lot of time to run over to him). The only explosive I missed was the one in his room, which I didn't notice until I killed him. The boss battle was REALLY overwhelming. Bad enough you have this relentless monster chasing you, but there are constantly spawning adds in all the worst places. Holy shit.

But other than that I think the game is pretty great so far. It has some disappointing rough edges, but I really like it.

He's meant to force you to use a particular technique -- at least that's the way I see it:
charged melee. Do a few of those each time he's down, and you won't have to use much ammo at all. Of course, the beauty is, you don't have to approach the battle like that at all. You can keep your distance and use firepower, but as you said, you'll be left empty handed at the end.

JoeFu

Banned
First boss was intense. He was pretty hard when I did it in raid mode as well because I went in with no ammo.

Still this game is awesome and I wish more people played it! I'm always sad when this thread isn't in the first page.

Currently almost done with the levels in raid mode in chasm and I'm at level 19 I think. It feels nice going back to the levels I didn't S rank and just plowing through everything at a higher level with better weapons.

He's meant to force you to use a particular technique -- at least that's the way I see it:
charged melee. Do a few of those each time he's down, and you won't have to use much ammo at all. Of course, the beauty is, you don't have to approach the battle like that at all. You can keep your distance and use firepower, but as you said, you'll be left empty handed at the end.

Wow, didn't even know you could do that. Is that something that's explained later or am I supposed to know it from reading the manual?

GeekyDad

Wow, didn't even know you could do that. Is that something that's explained later or am I supposed to know it from reading the manual?

Honestly, I think you're right -- I don't think it's covered in-game, and I think I stumbled onto it simply from leafing through the manual.

Wolfe

Can't get over how much I'm enjoying this game, really loving how raid mode works compared to mercs as well.

Grisby

Do I need the circle pad pro to play this? Or does it control fine without it?
Controls perfectly fine without it. Granted, it's hard to move and shoot at the same time but I never used it and didn't have hardly any trouble with the enemies.

Wolfe

Do I need the circle pad pro to play this? Or does it control fine without it?

I played over half of the campaign without it but I did and up picking one up for MGS3D and after getting used to using it in RE:R I don't want to go back to playing without it :p

Wolfe

Don't use the 3D. I only used it for cut-scenes.

This game would not be nearly as fun for me without the 3D, it's one thing if you have issues using it but I have a hard time understanding why people would just straight up not like it.

Not saying that's the case with you or anyone in particular, just thinking out loud I guess.

Davey Cakes

I'm on my campaign re-play right now. This time I'm doing it with the 3D turned off. I actually enjoyed the 3D a lot and thought it improved the experience. But, sometimes when things got intense it became hard to keep the screen still, so I'd lose the image.

Now that I'm going for all the scans and whatnot, my focus is less on "taking things in" and more about just making sure every environment is searched fully and every encounter is handled without a hitch. 3D requires a sort of sensory dedication that I don't feel like dealing with the second time around. It's worth it for the first time, though.

I will say that gyro aiming and 3D don't go together. And by now I'm too used to stick aiming (even though I enjoy gyro aiming) so I'm just going to use it from now on. Same goes for 1st-person view; I've grown accustomed to it, and I really think it suits the game's enclosed environments.

GeekyDad

Think I turned the 3D off by the second mission. It's done really well, but like you say, it takes a concerted effort to keep the screen still. I just want to relax and enjoy the ride. I will try out the gyro, though, sometime down the road. Just finished Ep. 11, so I should be finishing my first playthrough here soon. It's been a complete blast.

olimpia84

Completed my first 5 missions successfully on Abyss difficulty all with S rankings so far. Man, it's way different than chasm and trench. Difficulty spikes up dramatically and the enemy placement is completely different...this is fun!

I just got through episode 6 last night.
Fuck all the damn water-bound enemies! Seems like you get a fraction of a damn second to shoot them when they pop up, and their diving grab nearly never misses. Talk about an herb sucker. And goddamn the armor-covered boss after you get off the elevator on the observation deck. I don't know how much ammo and herbs I wasted fighting that fucker before I finally took him down.

The first can be dodged once you are used to their movement patterns and one of the grenade types is specifically designed to deal with them. Also a shotgun right in their face really helps :). The second guy can be dodged too and grenades are good to stun and your most powerful weapon to the weak spot works well. Both of these enemies gave me a lot of hassle on my first playthrough so I do empathise but get much easier as you go along.

I only use Wetsuit Chris. Its funny because right now none of my loadout goes with his skills.

Hah yeah sometimes I'll pick a character based on their skill set and sometimes I just pick someone based on their look.

:) I use Jill irrespective of weapons because I'm used to her and can't be bothered to switch at this late stage. Not because I am a prevert or anything. Although I must admit she does have a very fine rear!
I think I might be on the turn!
I do intend to finish Abyss and then keep playing Raid but with the other characters though.

Googles 'loadout'. Oh right. New word GET! :)

Raid mode is cool, but I hope they don't abandon Mercenaries.

I'd love to see Mercenaries get regular updates like Street Fighter, while they take more time on the main series entries. I could play a new Mercenaries every year or two.

I agree but would pick Raid over Mercenaries if I had to make a choice.

Capcom used the elevators and ship's wheel doors to mask loading between areas, but however they implemented it killed character responses and animation. I wonder why they didn't just lock out player control of character movement during the loads?

A Metroid Prime style animation for the lifts would have worked well but I suppose they didn't want to break the fourth wall by taking the player out of their character? Shame that the stuttering does that then! :p

Completed my first 5 missions successfully on Abyss difficulty all with S rankings so far. Man, it's way different than chasm and trench. Difficulty spikes up dramatically and the enemy placement is completely different...this is fun!

This was me last night:

So that's Chasm and Trench fully completed and S ranked and all done Solo. I suppose I'm not too shabby at this game, even if I say so myself! *smug grin*

Let's see what Abyss is like. The first level should be quite do-able.....

HOLY FUCKING CRAP!!!

:eek:

In a good way though! :)

Ridley327

The way they introduce the new enemy in Abyss is so funny; you are not expecting it at all, and then it pops up and you have no idea what to do.

Hale-XF11

Best soundtrack on a handheld game in quite some time. I'm totally in love with it. The results screen theme in particular is my personal favorite track.

Wolfe

Yeah the music does a great job at helping with the atmosphere/mood, I think it was stage 15 I played last night where I actually stopped moving around (in game :p) and sat there listening to the music/sounds and thinking about how well they work for the game.

Did anyone else get emailed and asked to do a Nintendo survey on this game?

It asks for what you like, what you don't like, if you feel it has 'extensive content' (and lists things it considers content), asks if you would recommend it, if you already have recommended it, and it asks for impressions. It also asks what you think its worth in £ (I assume € for those on the continent)

I was pretty gushing about it and said everything that would lead them to believe they should money-hat more. I suggest everyone else do the same :p

Ridley327

Did anyone else get emailed and asked to do a Nintendo survey on this game?

It asks for what you like, what you don't like, if you feel it has 'extensive content' (and lists things it considers content), asks if you would recommend it, if you already have recommended it, and it asks for impressions. It also asks what you think its worth in £ (I assume € for those on the continent)

I was pretty gushing about it and said everything that would lead them to believe they should money-hat more. I suggest everyone else do the same :p

No emails here, but the Post-Play Survey is up for me and is worth 20 coins, which is unusual.

Wolfe

How did you get a post play survey for it, unless it comes with a club nintendo voucher outside of NA?

But no I haven't gotten an email about a survey for it either, which is a slight bummer as I absolutely love the game.

GSR

Gotten a bit deeper into Raid Mode now, definitely enjoying it. I got the legendary rifle pretty early on, so that's helped a lot.

GeekyDad

Finished my first playthrough earlier this evening and started NG+ immediately afterward. For me, I think Parker is one of the best characters to come along in a while. Sure, he's kinda just another Barry, but he's quite lovable. Some of the story's cheesier bits seem a little less cheesy, too, by the end, though Jessica's voice actress still ain't great. Fun story, though. Didn't go where I thought it would, but it had a great PS1-era quality to it. My favorite 3DS investment to date, I think.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Enjoying Raid Mode quite a bit (through the 5th stage), even more than the main game (into Chapter 4, I believe). Using a powerful handgun, rifle and magnum (Pale Rider) mostly. I'll probably switch in a shotgun if I start to encounter larger groups that I can't keep up with, but my weapons are pretty damn powerful at this point. Pale Rider is overkill, and body shots OHKO almost everything.

The main game is fun too though. The loading times kill me a bit, and that slow down.. but overall, it's a great looking game. It's a shame they couldn't streamline the loading a bit more. Dialogue is hilarious. Looking forward to completing it, but mostly looking forward to S marks on Raid Mode. :p

He was in the first level!

Re-played it last night. How could I have forgotten him and his little friend?! *facepalm*

Yes, he completely took me by surprise the first time I played that level and had me pooping my pants very successfully.

Figuratively speaking =).

He's not so tough now though! Heh.

Oh and I went back to Hell last night and am really glad I have played so much of Raid solo because it has made Hell not as unpleasant as I feared.

So far!

QUESTION:

I have already done the no herb run for the upgrade but if I do another no herb run will I get another of that upgrade?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Finally finished the campaign. It was excellent. Not perfect, but still excellent. The episodic format was a stroke of simple genius that made for a huge cast of characters, wide variety of locations, and great 'seasonal' style plot arc that slowly revealed itself as the game went by. The little "Previously, on Resident Evil: Revelations..." intermissions between each episode put a smile on my face every time.

I also really liked the plot. Cheesy, but great fun to follow with a good cast of characters. It really was like playing a TV series, and I'd go so far as to say this episodic/seasonal format is the most original thing Capcom has done in quite awhile. Loved it.

daakusedo

I didn't play it since I got a lv50 muramasa, but I was lv49, so I've yet to use it.
I have to get S on abyss stage 19 and finish 21.
That's my schedule.

GeekyDad

I posted this elsewhere, but I just wanted to see what folks' opinion(s) was here regarding Raymond and Jessica:

So, end credits finish, and they meet in some cafe where Raymond hands off the sample to Jessica. According to the wiki, the two are possibly members of the same mysterious organization that Wesker is a part of. However, The Jessica Report seems to suggest she is part of the GPC. Is that just another ruse? Has any of this been definitively cleared up?

wrowa

Personally, I got the impression that Raymon might actually be a
Wesker

It might very well be just a coincidence, but in the ending scene when his face is mirrored in one the tubes he looked identical to Wesker to me. I'm not sure if this was deliberate or not. His surname Vester is also so uninspired and similar to Wesker that it's either a sign of a severe lack of creativity or a hint to his true identity.

Alright, finished my 5th and final playthrough for the time being (no-herb run on Casual).

This really wasn't too bad. Going into this run, I had 400 handgun bullets, 200 shotgun shells, 200 rifle rounds, 600 machine gun rounds and 50 magnum rounds (though I could hold up to 200, lol), 9 grenades, etc. All of my guns had Damage 7 or Damage 6.

I was able to get through this relatively smoothly. My approach was to get by with the high-powered, 5-shot burst handgun as much as possible through the first half of the game, and the shotgun if I needed something more powerful. I took my time and was pretty economical, I did a lot of intentional backtracking to clear out all areas of ammo so that I'd always stay fully stocked. By the end of the game, I was able to be a lot more liberal with my shotgun (2-shot burst), rifle and magnum (3-shot burst -- had about 80 magnum rounds at one point).

Had my 1 rocket launcher shot saved up from an earlier round, used that one shot on the final boss. Maybe 9 magnum shots later ended it.

The problem areas were, as expected, everything outside of the Zenobia. Episode 11, in particular, caused me all sorts of grief. I don't like that episode's placement in the game normally (kills all of the momentum, and that level just isn't fun at all -- IMO its the worst part of the game), and its even worse when you are retrying portions of it over and over.

My strategy as far as health/saves was to use Auto-save, and whenever I took a bad hit, I'd just let myself die or restart from the last checkpoint. Never was an issue when playing as Jill, I really only took one bad hit from a sea creeper that prompted me to let myself get killed. Otherwise, I only took about 3 minor hits the entire game as Jill. The non-Jill scenarios in Episode 9 and 11 were the most challenging segments.

Spent the last 2+ weeks with this game, I'll probably finish as much of Raid as possible this weekend and then move on to something else.

Wesker

It might very well be just a coincidence, but in the ending scene when his face is mirrored in one the tubes he looked identical to Wesker to me. I'm not sure if this was deliberate or not. His surname Vester is also so uninspired and similar to Wesker that it's either a sign of a severe lack of creativity or a hint to his true identity.

And the way he
took off his sunglasses

GeekyDad

Wesker

Ooh, didn't think of that. I wasn't really paying attention to that part of the equation. Interesting...
they definitely carry themselves similarly.

Top Bottom